Going Solo With the Free Dining Plan in September or October?

Ozymoe

<font color=blue>I bare all!
I have an idea...I will be at Disney from September 16 Until November 18. I so badly wanted to use the free dining promo, but couldn't justify it since I have so many weeks to use up with our Fairfield points and I'm all by myself.

I stay at great resorts very close to WDW, one is actually right next to Disney's Caribbean Beach resort (I'm there from Sept 16 to the 30th at which time I move to Cypress Palms on 192 in Kissimmee, still within 15 minutes of Epcot, but not on Disney property.

Anyway...if any other of you solo travelers would want to add me to your free dining package for any week during this time, I would be happy to pay any additional charges that you would incur...plus, I would be delighted to pick you up and return you to the airport...and transport you to wherever you want to visit during your time at Disney...grocery store/Universal/shopping mall/Cape Kennedy/Boggy Creek nature tour...etc.

I drive a late model Oldsmobile Silhouette van with lots of room for luggage. I am very familiar with the entire Disney/ Orlando/Kissimmee/ Lake Buena Vista as well as the airport area (lol...I pick up all my friends that fly in for a week here and there). I have been coming so long that I also know about many lesser-known activities in the park. Whatever you've always wanted to do but couldn't do because you didn't have a car or didn't know the area, I could arrange to take you there.

Understand...I would not be staying with you. I have my own resort. Nor would I be doing anything with you during your park time. I do not want to intrude. That is your time. I would gladly answer any questions and give you any tips you might want, though. I just want to use the free dining if I can...in exchange for which privilege I would be happy to be your chauffeur to and from the airport and around the area...and maybe make a new solo friend. I am a 56 year old happily married mom of 6 that thinks doing the Food&Wine festival (and WWTBAM at MGM) is sheer heaven (DH doesn't share my passion for this other than a few days, and is happy to do his own thing at home while I do this and visit our oldest daughter and my friends in Florida.

Anyway, I thought I would ask...I won't be surprised if no one takes me up on this, but if I don't ask...I'd never find out if anyone would like to do this at no cost to them...and saving them the cost of round-trip airport transport, plus having a ride to go anywhere they might wish to go off property.

Lol...Idon't know if I have presented my idea well, but it was a thought anyway. I am always happy to do nice things for others and share the bounty with which I am blessed...and it just occurred to me that maybe another solo traveler and I could both benefit. Not everyone has an aunt to pick them up at the airport etc.

If only I knew someone right now. I know so many people who do go that if anyone comes to mind I will glady introduce you. What a great deal!!

BTW, if we are there when you are in November and we can do this we will. I think there is a charge for a third person in the room though. (even if you are not actually there) LOL

I will be watching this thread and see how it all comes out. I have a feeling something magical will happen.

Slightly Goofy

Hi Slightly Goofy,

I am sure there is a charge for a third (adult) in the room (I don't think there are any additional charges for a second person in the room, if you already have the room booked as a solo)...and whatever that/those charge(s) would be...I would gladly pay them, without actually staying in the room or intruding on anyone's vacation in any way. I would pick them up and drop them off anywhere they wanted during the week though, in exchange for the free dining promo (which wouldn't cost them anything more).

This would only be a value to me if someone was booked and getting the free dining plan...which as of now is available (for the time I could use it) during the weeks from September 16 to October 4 (unless Disney extends this for later dates, which hasn't happened yet)...otherwise the dining plan costs $35 a day.

I was hoping a solo or a duo could add me to their (free dining) plan in exchange for my (daily if wanted/needed) chauffer services.

Hi there!! I understood but was so disappointed that I could not be the one to take you up on your offer. I know several single DISers who go often and if one should come to my attention I will send them to your thread.

BTW, I think it is a great idea and hope you get together with someone who is as much fun as you are.

SG/Linda

Not to throw cold water on your plan but all resort guests now get free airport transfers, Disney's Magical Express. I guess a ride to a grocery store has some value.

There has to be a degree of trust. Unless the plan changes all credit are pooled. Two adults, 5 night stay means 10 TS, 10CS and 10 snacks are credited to the account.

You, or the other person, could just get 10 bottles of soda and zero out the snack credits. You, or the other person, could treat 9 people to dinner the first night and zero out the TS or CS credits.

I might consider this for someone I already knew but I certainly wouldn't consider it for a person from the internet. Not really fair to Disney, they're offering free dining to guests who're staying in the room, not offering it to the maximum room occupancy.

You'd have to buy whatever park pass option the other person(s) selected.

Sounds like a good idea in theory but it probably wouldn't work out as well as it first sounds.

Lewisc said:
Not to throw cold water on your plan but all resort guests now get free airport transfers, Disney's Magical Express. I guess a ride to a grocery store has some value.

ME is fine, but it's not the same as being personally driven directly to your resort with no other persons to consider but yourself. Plus, Disney doesn't drive you to an off-site restaurant, Cape Canaveral or Universal later in the week. :rotfl:

There has to be a degree of trust. Unless the plan changes all credit are pooled. Two adults, 5 night stay means 10 TS, 10CS and 10 snacks are credited to the account.

You, or the other person, could just get 10 bottles of soda and zero out the snack credits. You, or the other person, could treat 9 people to dinner the first night and zero out the TS or CS credits.

Wow...that would never have occurred to me. I guess people don't know that I'd never do that. I have to be fair...I have identical twins...girls. lol

I might consider this for someone I already knew but I certainly wouldn't consider it for a person from the internet. Not really fair to Disney, they're offering free dining to guests who're staying in the room, not offering it to the maximum room occupancy.

Point noted...but you would consider it for someone you knew. It's true, I am a person "from the internet"(...oh, how that feels like a slap in the face. Lol)...if anyone really thinks I would/could do anything that would jeopardize my place in the Dis family on these boards...they don't know how much sharing Disney means to me. You can check back on my posts over the past few years and pretty much figure out who and what I am...but I do agree, if someone is uncomfortable doing this, they should not. I guess I was thinking it was a win/win situation since I would be giving time and a service without really intruding on anyone's vacation other than to help if they asked. But I guess I could use up all the snacks and dinners the first night...wouldn't ever, ever do that...but I could. I'm the kind of person that would curl up and die if I thought I hurt anyone's feelings, much less took more than I gave.

You'd have to buy whatever park pass option the other person(s) selected.

I'd buy and pay for a one day park pass. Not everyone in the room has to purchase a pass for each day...and many already have APs (as I do) and are just purchasing a one-day park pass. I would be right there at check in, having picked up and delivered the person(s) to their resort (I am staying in the heart of Disney myself, at Bonnet Creek, right next to the Caribbean Beach resort)...and I would pay them in cash. I think that's pretty much safe as far as trust goes.

Sounds like a good idea in theory but it probably wouldn't work out as well as it first sounds.

You're right...you don't know me. My favorite thing to do is create loveliness and fun...I really wish I could do magic, but I try my best with whatever I can do. Remember, sometimes things work out even better than they first sound too!

PS:

..and that doggone tag fairy has blessed me with that "I bare all" tag from a funny misunderstanding I had on the Trip Reports Board about some signs in Georgia on the drive down to Disney. I'm sure he doesn't realize how that looks to people when they are reading my posts...but I can't bear to give it up since it's the only tag with which I've been blessed...sigh.

I really don't bare all...and have never even come close to that...shoot, I wasn't allowed to wear a bikini when I had the figure for it...and now I'd just scare small dogs and people.

Sigh.

I'm 99% sure everyone in the room has to buy the same passes. If your new friends buy 7 day hopper plus tickets you have to buy the same. You might be able to sell them or use them after your AP expires AND

the other party will be giving a room key to a stranger. Not everyone is as honest as you.

Ozymoe said:
I'd buy and pay for a one day park pass. Not everyone in the room has to purchase a pass for each day...and many already have APs (as I do) and are just purchasing a one-day park pass. I would be right there at check in, having picked up and delivered the person(s) to their resort (I am staying in the heart of Disney myself, at Bonnet Creek, right next to the Caribbean Beach resort)...and I would pay them in cash. I think that's pretty much safe as far as trust goes.

Ozymoe said:
I have an idea...I will be at Disney from September 16 Until November 18. I so badly wanted to use the free dining promo, but couldn't justify it since I have so many weeks to use up with our Fairfield points and I'm all by myself.

I stay at great resorts very close to WDW, one is actually right next to Disney's Caribbean Beach resort (I'm there from Sept 16 to the 30th at which time I move to Cypress Palms on 192 in Kissimmee, still within 15 minutes of Epcot, but not on Disney property.

Anyway...if any other of you solo travelers would want to add me to your free dining package for any week during this time, I would be happy to pay any additional charges that you would incur...plus, I would be delighted to pick you up and return you to the airport...and transport you to wherever you want to visit during your time at Disney...grocery store/Universal/shopping mall/Cape Kennedy/Boggy Creek nature tour...etc.

I drive a late model Oldsmobile Silhouette van with lots of room for luggage. I am very familiar with the entire Disney/ Orlando/Kissimmee/ Lake Buena Vista as well as the airport area (lol...I pick up all my friends that fly in for a week here and there). I have been coming so long that I also know about many lesser-known activities in the park. Whatever you've always wanted to do but couldn't do because you didn't have a car or didn't know the area, I could arrange to take you there.

Understand...I would not be staying with you. I have my own resort. Nor would I be doing anything with you during your park time. I do not want to intrude. That is your time. I would gladly answer any questions and give you any tips you might want, though. I just want to use the free dining if I can...in exchange for which privilege I would be happy to be your chauffeur to and from the airport and around the area...and maybe make a new solo friend. I am a 56 year old happily married mom of 6 that thinks doing the Food&Wine festival (and WWTBAM at MGM) is sheer heaven (DH doesn't share my passion for this other than a few days, and is happy to do his own thing at home while I do this and visit our oldest daughter and my friends in Florida.

Anyway, I thought I would ask...I won't be surprised if no one takes me up on this, but if I don't ask...I'd never find out if anyone would like to do this at no cost to them...and saving them the cost of round-trip airport transport, plus having a ride to go anywhere they might wish to go off property.

Lol...Idon't know if I have presented my idea well, but it was a thought anyway. I am always happy to do nice things for others and share the bounty with which I am blessed...and it just occurred to me that maybe another solo traveler and I could both benefit. Not everyone has an aunt to pick them up at the airport etc.

care to join us on one Wednesday in September.... :banana:

Lewisc said:
I'm 99% sure everyone in the room has to buy the same passes.

I am pretty sure this isn't the case...since I've seen that some people are just purchasing the 1 day passes for the people in their party that have APS...and then other passes for the people that can't/don't (ie...DH's and/or grandparents) spend as much time at WDW as the rest of the family does.

the other party will be giving a room key to a stranger. Not everyone is as honest as you.

That is true. But I AM honest...and anyone can check up on me if you don't want to take my word for it...look at all my 400+ posts over the past few years...PLUS we are talking a week's worth of free dining here...anyone who really thinks I am out to screw someone out of 10 snacks and 10 free dinners...and am risking my reputation never to be able to post on these boards again...should NOT even consider my offer.

Sheesh. Now I feel icky. This morning (before I read this) I booked an additional week in a 2BR suite at Bonnet Creek (could not even believe the luck that this would be available) that I was going to offer on Dis Auction and also Magical Mom's budget site for $600, but how can anyone trust that this is an incredible deal? I am the world's slowest typist, and when I respond to a post it takes me several minutes and this is getting really hard (and taking me away from reading Trip Reports)...I think I should just not do this....but what about a family that could save a whole lot?...just because I can do this?...because I'm a Fairfield platinum owner and have access to really great deals that can benefit everyone? I am going to have my daughter post it on ebay. Maybe someone there will think it's a great deal. I have never tried to have her sell a week of my timeshare on ebay, but this is just such a great deal I can't imagine anyone not wanting to use it if they can for that price!

This brings me under fire and makes me feel bad. I thought I was being nice, but I really can see how this might be misconstrued. It is true...we really don't know each other. That's a shame. I just wish this wasn't the case...I'm sorry if I offended anyone, and won't try to do this free dining/chauffer exchange. Lol...it was just a thought anyways...I am always all about doing something nice, especially if it doesn't cost anyone anything...but I can see how this would not be a good idea if people weren't trustworthy.

Sorry my post weren't intended as an attack on you or your honesty. It was more a general warning to others who were planning on doing something similar. This arrangement has some risk to both parties, particularly a possible safety issue for the host who is giving a resort id/room key to a possible stranger. I think this is an important distinction from your example of renting another guest a timeshare. You're protected by requiring a money order and the renter can at least verify the timeshare is reserved in your name.

No reason to reply, my post was really intended a general comment to others that were considering doing this.

Double check, I really think all parties have to start out with the same passes. Some guests book everyone with a minimum pass and then buy/use other passes or are planning to upgrade some of the passes. A person who's planning on buying and using 7 day passes might not want to change their passes to accommodate your needs.

Ozymoe said:
I am pretty sure this isn't the case...since I've seen that some people are just purchasing the 1 day passes for the people in their party that have APS...and then other passes for the people that can't/don't (ie...DH's and/or grandparents) spend as much time at WDW as the rest of the family does.

That is true. But I AM honest...and anyone can check up on me if you don't want to take my word for it...look at all my 400+ posts over the past few years...PLUS we are talking a week's worth of free dining here...anyone who really thinks I am out to screw someone out of 10 snacks and 10 free dinners...and am risking my reputation never to be able to post on these boards again...should NOT even consider my offer.

Sheesh. Now I feel icky. This morning (before I read this) I booked an additional week in a 2BR suite at Bonnet Creek (could not even believe the luck that this would be available) that I was going to offer on Dis Auction and also Magical Mom's budget site for $600, but how can anyone trust that this is an incredible deal? I am the world's slowest typist, and when I respond to a post it takes me several minutes and this is getting really hard (and taking me away from reading Trip Reports)...I think I should just not do this....but what about a family that could save a whole lot?...just because I can do this?...because I'm a Fairfield platinum owner and have access to really great deals that can benefit everyone? I am going to have my daughter post it on ebay. Maybe someone there will think it's a great deal. I have never tried to have her sell a week of my timeshare on ebay, but this is just such a great deal I can't imagine anyone not wanting to use it if they can for that price!

This brings me under fire and makes me feel bad. I thought I was being nice, but I really can see how this might be misconstrued. It is true...we really don't know each other. That's a shame. I just wish this wasn't the case...I'm sorry if I offended anyone, and won't try to do this free dining/chauffer exchange. Lol...it was just a thought anyways...I am always all about doing something nice, especially if it doesn't cost anyone anything...but I can see how this would not be a good idea if people weren't trustworthy.

Double check, I really think all parties have to start out with the same passes. Some guests book everyone with a minimum pass and then buy/use other passes or are planning to upgrade some of the passes. A person who's planning on buying and using 7 day passes might not want to change their passes to accommodate your needs.

If that were the case, of course I wouldn't ask anyone to do that. This is moot in any case because I won't do this now.

I know you weren't attacking me or my character, but I do really feel stupid.

lol

No reason to feel stupid. Not really a bad idea if you find someone you already know, possibly just from the boards. I just want to make sure hotel guests realize the resort card they're giving to their new friend is also a room key.

If you wind up finding a friend I believe you can just pay for the pass and not use it. It shouldn't expire until you FIRST use it. People are assuming they can later upgrade the pass to an AP.

Ozymoe said:
If that were the case, of course I wouldn't ask anyone to do that. This is moot in any case because I won't do this now.

I know you weren't attacking me or my character, but I do really feel stupid.

lol

Ozy, you are NOT stupid, just naive because you assume that everyone is as open and honest as you are.

Most people are honest but the few stinkers ruin it for everyone.

I have often noticed that honest people tend to think people are honest while dishonest people OR (very big OR) people who have been taken mistrust most everything. Having been burned myself I am pretty cautious but my dear (lucky and hope she remains so) daughter does not bother to lock her doors or any other common sense things that scare her poor mother to death. :flower:

I have been wondering if Disney will not be clamping down on the practice of giving away leftover meals/snacks or paying for others. Seems that it would cut way down on their revenue if this continues. Just a thought.

Slightly Goofy who would dearly love to spend 2 weeks in a nearby condo but has to have an operation instead. (darn it !!)

Lewisc said:
No reason to feel stupid. Not really a bad idea if you find someone you already know, possibly just from the boards. I just want to make sure hotel guests realize the resort card they're giving to their new friend is also a room key.

Yeah? Well I do (lol)...the (lol) wqs put in to show you I am not really mad...just exasperated that you would so totally keep posting against my offer. If you were really concerned about people doing something like this...why wouldn't you just SAY that in the first place instead of hounding me about what I have posted...I can't be any more plain about what I was asking...and I'm NOT a new poster. I almost feel persecuted! LOL!

If you wind up finding a friend I believe you can just pay for the pass and not use it. It shouldn't expire until you FIRST use it. People are assuming they can later upgrade the pass to an AP.

This is what I said in the first place. Sigh...and they can apply the unexpired pass to a future AP...not that I want to get in another debate with you, since you are such a skeptic...and do you look at all the Disney Magic in this way also? Geez...I bet you never get what you think you deserve...and I wonder why? Are you always on the short end of the stick?

Sorry...I am just a bit testy today because of transitory things happening here at home...but really, I just don't care anymore. You don't know me and I shouldn't take this so personally, I guess.

Ozy, I hope that the transitory things trans in a big hurry and never come back again.

Seems like life just piles it all on at one time sometimes. I hope that things lighten up soon.

Slightly Goofy

I wasn't going to bother responding but I think your post is kind of rude and I don't really appreciate Goofy implying I'm dishonest. The one who's being dishonest is the who's is trying to be fraudulently added to a room reservation to steal meals from Disney. Frankly I low keyed my initial posts because I thought you had good intentions. My posts were clearly intended as a warning to guests who may be getting requests similar to yours without having any idea who they're dealing with.

1) Doors have locks for a reason. I understand in some parts of the country people don't lock their doors but ANYONE WHO GIVES THEIR ROOM KEY TO A STRANGER is just plain stupid. People you already know may make their own decision. But for you and Goofy to dismiss this warning to guests who may be getting offers like yours from others ISN'T RUDE BUT IS RECKLESS. I don't know what part of the country you're from but I hope you don't make a habit of giving strangers a copy of your room key.

2) I was giving you information all guests in the room must have the same ticket package. It's rude of you to expect they will downgrade their ticket package to one day pass just to accommodate your needs. And yes, I get very annoyed with people who make up facts and change the meaning of their posts. You initially said different people in the room could get different passes and now seem to think the host family should get one day passes to accommodate your needs and pay extra to upgrade to what the want. Upgrades wouldn't be at the advance discounted price.

3) The free meal plan is given to the guests in a room. Two guests staying in the room get 2 meal plans NOT TWO PLANS TO USE AND TWO PLANS TO SELL, BARTER OR GIVE AWAY. This is not the same as giving away an extra meal. For a guest to claim an extra person is staying in the room so they can sell or barter something that really isn't theirs to sell borders on fraud.

4) There is no guarantee that the seller or buyer won't just zero out the account.

5) The guest can ask that room charging not be extended to the extra card but the guest is probably liable if Disney decides to honor a room charge.

Disney magic isn't scamming Disney for free meals or suggesting a scheme that involves guests giving out their room keys to strangers. This is a public internet board. Another poster could decide to follow your lead, perhaps offering cash to be added on to the reservation and then the guests room gets robbed.

SEND A PM TO Posters WHO KNOW YOU AND WHO ARE GOING TO BE IN DISNEY WHEN YOU'RE GOING TO BE THERE.

YES I'M POSTING TO LET GUESTS KNOW THE RISKS INVOLVED IF THEY DECIDE TO RESPOND TO A SCHEME SIMILAR TO THE ONE YOU'RE GOING.

Ozymoe said:
Yeah? Well I do (lol)...the (lol) wqs put in to show you I am not really mad...just exasperated that you would so totally keep posting against my offer. If you were really concerned about people doing something like this...why wouldn't you just SAY that in the first place instead of hounding me about what I have posted...I can't be any more plain about what I was asking...and I'm NOT a new poster. I almost feel persecuted! LOL!

This is what I said in the first place. Sigh...and they can apply the unexpired pass to a future AP...not that I want to get in another debate with you, since you are such a skeptic...and do you look at all the Disney Magic in this way also? Geez...I bet you never get what you think you deserve...and I wonder why? Are you always on the short end of the stick?

Sorry...I am just a bit testy today because of transitory things happening here at home...but really, I just don't care anymore. You don't know me and I shouldn't take this so personally, I guess.

Oh my heavens, you poor dear. If you were nearby I would give you a big hug cause you surely do need one.

I was most careful to put in the "OR" just for you and the other wonderful, kind, caring and very honest DIS people.

I am afraid that I was concerned more for Ozy for offering to pick up complete strangers in her car.

Please give the lady a break. She meant well and as with most people with her kind of heart she spoke before she considered the risks to herself or others.

What is the DIS board for if not to ask questions? There is no such thing as a dumb question unless it is the one not asked. Ozy asked for opinions not criticism. I would dare to judge she or anyone else, not even you, as I do not know your life experiences or present problems and sometimes stress can bring out the worst in people.

I have a rule with my grandchildren, if you ask me nicely I will do most anything for them BUT if they ask rudely I give them nothing.

If you care to throw some more stones cast away but for me and Ozy we are going to go sit on a hill, far away, and watch you flail away, tilting at windmills. When you tire you are most welcome to join us in a cool iced tea and some pleasant conversation.

Slightly Goofy but not Grumpy

Good morning everyone,

I'm dumbfounded. I logged on a while ago and read the new "Funniest Things" post and responded...and then I started to read the new posts on this thread...

First of all, I don't know how this got so heated...and I really don't want anyone's room keys...and I didn't ask for anyone to accommodate me by changing their passes (???) I repeatedly said that no one should do this if they didn't feel comfortable with it...and finally, I said I wouldn't even try to do this anymore.

Thank you, SlightlyGoofy for the kind words. They are appreciated, (I did need the hug lol). I understand Lewisc and why he posts as he does. He is correct in that someone bent on fraud could take advantage of other people. There are all types of people in this world and I would never have suggested this if I had thought it out from his point of view.

...but I would like to say I am not a fraud. I really meant this to have been fun for everyone. Sometimes magic happens and sometimes it does not. Magic happens for me every day and it just amazes me. I try to return goodness however I can. I am so blessed and so lucky to be able to live the life I do, it only seems right to share that joy.

Lol...not that bad things don't happen too...but one must just do the best one can...and not stop trying. Viewing life as a positive, day-to-day learning experience, no matter what happens each day, it's all good!

So let's drop this and agree that I shouldn't have been so naive.

Helen Keller said something once that just shot straight into my heart. I always try to live by it. She said, "I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter