going from point a to point b?

Tigg77

Earning My Ears
Never cruised before and no sense of direction how do I know how to get from point a to point b. Such as it if I am in my cabin (deck 8 at elevators) and I decide I have to eat ice cream, is there maps in the rooms or what? My sense of direction and memory is so bad that when I go to WDW without my husband I have been known to call him tell him where I am and what I want to eat and he tells me how to get there.

There are maps by the stairs midship, forward, and aft on every deck. There are signs on the walls to help you figure out which direction you need to go. If you have a smartphone, be sure to download the DCL Navigator app. There are deck plans accessible through the app that can help as well.

The key is to always keep in mind which way is forward. To begin with, the signs by each elevator/stairs will help. After a while, you'll start to remember which destinations are towards the front or towards the back. There are paper maps you get get too. At guest services, I think.

You can always order room service... then you won't have to leave.
But seriously, both previous posters have great ideas. I would also consider looking at some of the ships deck plans on the internet (the ones where you can see the whole ship deck by deck side by side. Then you can see all at once how it fits together. Then you can see where many of the main items are. The best places to know are dining and the adult only deck at the front of the ship.

Even the large ships are not that big. So, don't worry about losing your way. Like, previous posters, there are plenty of maps and there is always at cast Member near if you need help or a fellow passenger.

I like reviewing the deck maps before I cruise to get familiar with the layout of the ship.

Good luck and happy cruising.

Never cruised before and no sense of direction how do I know how to get from point a to point b. Such as it if I am in my cabin (deck 8 at elevators) and I decide I have to eat ice cream, is there maps in the rooms or what? My sense of direction and memory is so bad that when I go to WDW without my husband I have been known to call him tell him where I am and what I want to eat and he tells me how to get there.

I'm glad to know I am not the only one.

There are signs at the elevators telling which deck most things are on (dining rooms, pools, spa, etc.). I get to the correct deck, the look at the carpet. The compass points forward (I think). Room numbers are lower towards the front, and get higher as you go aft (back end).

There have been times that I have walked to the end of a hallway, just to find I am on the wrong end of the ship. Plus side is lots of exercise. Also, the ship is a finite area (unlike the parks). Down side is if I allow myself to get frustrated. But I decide I am on vacation and will not allow my lack of directional sense to get me down.

Being up on the higher decks with open air is easier. You can see the waves and can tell where the front of the ship is.

If all else fails, ask someone.

If you Google it, you can find cheat cards for the ship. I print them out on 3x5 index card and carry with me.

Unless they have changed it, whenever you come to a junction there is a world map in the carpet. North points to the bow, South points aft, East points starboard, and West points port.

Unless they have changed it, whenever you come to a junction there is a world map in the carpet. North points to the bow, South points aft, East points starboard, and West points port.

I believe this is still true, or it has been every time I've looked at the maps in the carpet.

My wife gets lost on every cruise for the first couple days, usually by day 3 she's able to find her way around!

Don't look at it like your lost, you are exploring the ship. Keep your camera with you and you will have a lot of cool photos.

and I decide I have to eat ice cream,
Just to keep it simple, the quick serve food locations, as well as the buffet are all on the pool deck. You just need to find an elevator and go there. Once on that deck, there's a map in the elevator lobby showing where things are on that deck (included a "you are here" mark). Like this (but this isn't the pool deck):
directory wonder 2012 26205 100_7495 1500.jpg

One of my biggest problems when navigating the ships is stepping out of the cabin and turning in the wrong direction. At least when I have a mid-ship cabin. Now that we figured out that we like forward, this is no longer such a problem.

However, one of the best things we got from our TA for our cruises was an overview of how to get to different places from our cabin that was laminated and had magnets so that we could put it on the inside of our door. It was all the public places on the ship with a description of how to get there. We were on deck 2 port side inside stateroom on the Wonder and for example it said: Triton: Turn right, take midship elevator to deck 3, Beach Blanket Buffet: turn left, take aft elevator to deck 9. It was so helpful!

Fortunately, there are three sets of stairs/elevators and each has the map and a directory. I always have orientation problems and can never remember which way is forward and which is aft. I'm not quite as bad as DH thinks I am with respect to directions but it amuses me to pretend that I can't remember what aft and forward mean so I'm always asking him if we're heading to the pointy end or the blunt end because it annoys him.

EDIT: Also, if you are facing the pointy end, port is on the left. You can remember that by remembering that left and port both have four letters. Thus, starboard is on the right.

Last edited:
Follow the ice cream that has fallen on the floor from the cones..

I learnt 'landmarks ' so where key things were. Also outside the elevators I found the list very useful. I also did follow the carpet changes..

Also, if you are facing the pointy end, port is on the left. You can remember that by remembering that left and port both have four letters. Thus, starboard is on the right.

And the second star is to the right, which is another way to remember that starboard is right.

That's a great one! Wish I knew THAT one before I went on board. Makes the all important task of knowing which way is forward MUCH easier. Thanks!

That's a great one! Wish I knew THAT one before I went on board. Makes the all important task of knowing which way is forward MUCH easier. Thanks!

Sure! I'm not sure if we learned that in our ship orientation tour on Day 1 or during the Art of the Theme Show tour.

I took that tour. Apparently, I was too busy marveling at the ship to hear what I was being told. Oh well, that is one of the things this board is good for.

It could have been the Theme Show...i honestly don't remember. LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter