Gluten Free Friends, which ADRs to make?

krrrristen

Mouseketeer
I know Disney is a great place to dine if you are gluten free (like me!), but what have been some of your favorite restaurants on property? Normally we dine QS since we are AP holders and just hang out at one park for part of one day. We just decided that this June we'll be going for my birthday/our anniversary and staying for a few days, so I want to make ADRs as soon as possible :)

Thanks for your recommendations in advance!

Hubby really liked the gluten free turkey meal at Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch- gluten free stuffing, gravy, etc.
Also Cali Grill- sushi and halibut were delicious he said!

Also recommended:
Boma Breakfast
Captains Grill Breakfast
Splitsville at Disney Springs

I was really impressed with my gf breakfast and lunch at BOG. I even got gf sweet breads at breakfast that my kids said where better than their pastries

African food is mostly naturally GF which makes Boma's a great choice. It's our favorite!

Thanks all!

DisneyFirstTimer10: stuffing sounds delicious. Will have to try that!
Kiramay: BOG is already on the list!!
Javamoma: ooh, sounds good!

My boyfriend is gluten free and he loves Erin Mckennas bakery in DS.

He also has enjoyed meals at Shulas, Hollywood brown derby, sci fi dine in, san angel inn, tusker house, yak and yeti (which has food he can't get gf at home), be our guest, and ohana.

Gluten free here as well.

Erin McKenna's bakery isn't my favorite. They use bean flours and coconut oil in their baked goods. I end up with an aftertaste that I just can't get rid of. Really, I need to brush my teeth to get the flavor out of my mouth.

Outside of the parks I enjoy: Raglan Road, or their quick service location, Cooke's of Dublin. Boma offers many options, so much of their food is gluten free. Narcoossee's had a very nice gluten free menu, and I enjoyed my meal there. GF Cafe used to have a great menu, but I think it has changed. Cape May for dinner also had plenty of options.

In the parks, I really enjoyed Biergarten. They offered so many gluten free options. And they were willing to get anything from the back for me. Prime Time Cafe offers gluten free fried chicken. Yes, gluten free fried chicken. You MUST preorder it. It takes some time to heat up the fryer or do something to the chicken so they can't make it on the fly. LTT does have stuffing and gravy, I found it simply okay. I make gf stuffing and gravy that is better. Crystal Palace has typical breakfast items, and many are gluten free.

Be Our Guest at lunch is delicious. But it is counter service. I've not tried it at dinner.

Gluten free can be great at Disney. But it will take some planning. I have found that many quick service only offers a burger or chicken fingers. And dessert is always a brownie or chocolate chip cookie. Table service on the other hand will have more options.

Are the gluten free items listed on the menus or do you have to ask for them? A relative just found out he has celiac disease so we have to be careful where the food is processed and if it's cross contaminated or not.

Are the gluten free items listed on the menus or do you have to ask for them? A relative just found out he has celiac disease so we have to be careful where the food is processed and if it's cross contaminated or not.
Each restaurant will have a "Gluten Friendly" menu. Or at least most of them will. Some that are not owned by Disney might not have them.

Either way, you have to ask for the information. I just say that I need an allergy menu. And they take it from there.

Disney will not, like most other restaurants, guarantee that any food is absolutely gluten free. But they are very good at what they do. And as a Celiac, I feel very comfortable eating there.

My boyfriend is gluten free and he loves Erin Mckennas bakery in DS.

I loooooove Erin McKenna's! I usually get a box of treats to take home with me :P

The Disney-owned restaurants have a gluten free menu. Gluten Free Dairy Free in WDW has a ton of menus available on their website if you (like me) want to check before you go.

Each restaurant will have a "Gluten Friendly" menu. Or at least most of them will. Some that are not owned by Disney might not have them.

The only one I've heard that doesn't have it is Morimoto (only Pad Thai is gluten free).

Disney will not, like most other restaurants, guarantee that any food is absolutely gluten free. But they are very good at what they do. And as a Celiac, I feel very comfortable eating there.

100%. It's my favorite place to eat!

I know that Raglan Road doesn't have a gluten free menu. The server will go over a regular menu. I also think there are a couple of places in Epcot they don't have an allergy menu.

And of course none of the buffets have an allergy menu. The chef will walk around the buffet with you.

Outside of the parks I enjoy: Raglan Road, or their quick service location, Cooke's of Dublin. Boma offers many options, so much of their food is gluten free. Narcoossee's had a very nice gluten free menu, and I enjoyed my meal there. GF Cafe used to have a great menu, but I think it has changed. Cape May for dinner also had plenty of options.

I love Cooke's of Dublin. Their gluten free fish and chips is delish!

In the parks, I really enjoyed Biergarten. They offered so many gluten free options. And they were willing to get anything from the back for me.

Interesting. I've seen mixed reviews about Biergarten. My BF loves German food so we'll do it eventually.

Gluten free can be great at Disney. But it will take some planning. I have found that many quick service only offers a burger or chicken fingers. And dessert is always a brownie or chocolate chip cookie. Table service on the other hand will have more options.

Those chicken fingers are really good though :P Thanks for all the tips! Like I said, we typically do very last minute trips (a Friday night "Hey let's go to Disney tomorrow" conversation is typical) so I usually stick to QS or booths at EPCOT during festivals. I like to plan, nobody else in my family does. But I want to try Prime Time now... I'll have to add that for this summer!

This diagnosis may question our thoughts on the dining plan. Are there gluten free desserts on the plan?

This diagnosis may question our thoughts on the dining plan. Are there gluten free desserts on the plan?
Yes, there are. At table service there are more options. And there are many "snacks" that are gluten free.

My only problem is that the only dessert offered at most counter service is a brownie or chocolate chip cookies. The brownie is very, very good. But really, how many can you eat? The cookies are from Enjoy Life. In my opinion, unless you have multiple allergies, stay away from Enjoy Life products. They are free of all allergens but they are also free of any enjoyment.

I've gone with and without the dining plan. And I have always found enough to eat and enjoy.

My only problem is that the only dessert offered at most counter service is a brownie or chocolate chip cookies. The brownie is very, very good. But really, how many can you eat? The cookies are from Enjoy Life. In my opinion, unless you have multiple allergies, stay away from Enjoy Life products. They are free of all allergens but they are also free of any enjoyment.

True. The GF Sugar Crisp Enjoy Life cookies at Sunshine Seasons are great, but I don't know if they count as a dessert or snack on the dining plan. I haven't seen them elsewhere.

Interesting. I've seen mixed reviews about Biergarten. My BF loves German food so we'll do it eventually.
Biergarten is a favorite of ours and we do it once each trip. There are a lot of gluten free options on the buffet.

I really like the OMG It's Gluten Free brownies. I don't know if they are a snack credit, but if someone was looking for a way to use up snack credits I would consider getting a bunch of them to take home. They're pre packaged and easy to transport. Sunshine Seasons has them, and a few other places.

Some of my other favorite restaurants are Sanaa, Raglan Road (gf fish and onion rings!), Bongos, Flame Tree BBQ, Ohana, BOG lunch (roast beef on millet bread) and Spice Road Table. I'm not a fan of Erin McKenna's. Way too overpriced for mediocre goodies, IMO.

Yes, there are. At table service there are more options. And there are many "snacks" that are gluten free.

I've gone with and without the dining plan. And I have always found enough to eat and enjoy.
adding that if you DO have multiple allergies, you may also want to stay away from Enjoy Life Cookies. My ODD (allergies to eggs and nuts among other things) has had several reactions to them. Turns out she has a buckwheat allergy. (They have lots of ingredients, which is challenging for folks with multiple allergies.)

Back to the original question, Garden Grill for breakfast, Grand Floridian Cafe for lunch, and Cape May for dinner!

completely forgot- if you are looking for a good QS in AK- we LOVED the gluten free chicken tenders and fries at restaurantasaurus. You may have to wait a bit longer for you meal, but so worth it

So do the kitchens at Disney have separate kitchens for gluten free meals? We are knew to this diagnosis and don't know if we will have to pack meals each day for our little guy or if he's safe to eat out - scary stuff!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter