• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Give opinions on best counter service

MK - nothing really stands out as far as food, but I enjoy the atmosphere at Columbia House and the food isn't bad by any means. Cosmic Ray's is okay too.

Epcot - plenty of choices but if I had to pick one, it's probably the Kringla Bakery in Norway. Good soup/sandwich/dessert combo meal. Also like Tangerine Cafe and Sunshine Seasons.

AK - Tusker House counter service (R.I.P.)....but now, Flame Tree wins easily.

DHS - uh...nothing really. I've eaten at Toy Story and Backlot and neither was memorable (but the food is acceptable I guess). The other counter service appealed even less.

Outside the parks, Earl is my favorite. Wolfgang's is good too, but it looks like the menu is greatly reduced from last year.

Forgot to add Columbia Harbour House in MK to my post! We recently did the Keys to the Kingdom tour and stopped there on the way and loved it! I had the lighthouse (hummus) sandwich and it was awesome. Everyone around said they liked their choices as well and the restaurant seems very fast for a quick stop you just grab food and go find a table.

I love Pecos Bills...the topping bar there...yum. Columbia Harbour House always looks and smells good, but I really, really don't like fish at all. Maybe we'll finally go there since they added shrimp :)

Wolfgang Puck Express! Eat there at least 2x a trip, and they have so many delicious meals we could easily eat there several more times.

The Boardwalk Bakery has some of the biggest and best sandwiches on property. The only CS we really like in Epcot or DHS is the bakery in France, so we leave those parks to go to the Boardwalk Bakery or Beaches & Cream (not a CS).

MK depends on what we feel like. El Pirata is a favorite, as are the veggie chili at CHH, the chicken meal at Cosmic Ray's, and the toppings bar for the otherwise average burgers at Pecos Bill's. Pinocchio's cheese pizza/side salad combo is even pretty good. One of our favorites is to get a baked potato from the wagon is Liberty Square & a bowl of the above chili from CCH to go along with it.

At AK we like Pizzafari for the Hot Italian Sandwich or the yummy breadsticks with marinara.

Actually right at the top of the page it says "The DIS Discussion Forums."

My faves:

MK: El Pirata y el Perico - But it is never open when I am there. Hoping it will be next week. :) Of not the taco salad at Pecos Bill hits the spot.

Epcot: Cantina de San Angel and Sunshine Seasons

AK: Flame Tree. I keep wanting to try out Yak & Yeti but we always end up at Flame Tree. Maybe this time...

DHS: I don't think I have had any CS there. Nothing really appealed to us. We always end up at Brown Derby. This year I think we'll hop over to Epcot to hit the F&W booths.

Well any discussion of CS IMO (notice I included it is only an opinion) has to start with 3 outside the parks.

Earl of Sandwich
Wolfgang Puck Express
and my fav The Pepper Market

If were talking parks then IMHO (inserted once again for clarification)

CHH, Pecos Bill, Cosmic Ray's
Pizzafari, Tusker House
Pizza Planet ( pizza is so so but the decor is great for the kids and let's face it in DHS you have to eat somewhere and most aren't that good) and Backlot

Also no digs were intended at all, I too agree the one counter service thing was a little far fetched but to each his own.

We love all the different CS the parks have to offer but below are our favorites:
AK
Yak and Yeti
MK
Harbor House
Epcot
Sunrise, We had good food at the Electric Umbrella and horrible food at Japan CS
DHS
Nothing we have been happy about

As you can see we have stayed at many different hotels and all have good CS except OKW is limited.

Some of my favorites are Cosmic Rays at MK (love the rotisserie chicken dish with mashed potatoes and veggies- yum!), and Sunshine Seasons. I've eaten there several times and have always had good meals.

Harbour House just for the Lighthouse Sandwich...yummy. I wish it was open for dinner though.

I heard Starring Rolls was good at HS because the sandwiches were made at Brown Derby. I'm going to give it a shot this time.

I tried the kiosk in Germany this past spring and thought it was pretty good. Here's a pic

Bratwurst with a bun and black forest cherry roll
IMG_0790.jpg

We also like Columbia Harbor House at MK, but then again we like fish. This is the fish basket and apple tart dessert
IMG_1276.jpg

Here is a fav of ours every trip! Flame Tree at AK

IMG_1032.jpg

and the chocolate cake for dessert

IMG_1034.jpg

As the OP I thank you all for the info and your opinions.

I see some new things we will try. Two questions, does anyone know what type of fish is at CHH and the shrimp, is it popcorn or like fried butterfly shrimp? Any pictures???

Here is my family's faves for each park....

MK - Pecos Bills (they love the fixins bar and the fact they can put cheese sauce on their fries is a BIG bonus with my teens:) and Casey's (DD7 loves to sit on the bleachers and watch the old cartoons with her Daddys while me and the big kiddos go shopping in the Emporium which opens right up into Casey's. Plus they have the best hotdogs on WDW property;)

Epcot - Tangeirine SOOOO good and Germany for the brats and sauerkraut!

DHS - We only like Starring Rolls for the sweets. DHS seems to have gotten the shaft on their CS restuaurants:sad2:

AK - Flame Tree BBQ and Pizzafari for the wraps

We thought everywhere we ate was pretty good, but the standouts for us were Wolfgang Puck Express (my husband's only regret about this trip is we only got to eat there twice) and the Picnic in the Park.

Also, we never made it to Tangierene Cafe because I always get lost in WS, so we ended up at Liberty Inn instead. We had veggie burgers and fries, which were very good, but I wanted to mention that the standout there was the rocky road pecan mousse, which was far and away the best CS dessert we had anywhere (the key lime pie at Sunshine Seasons was close though). Definitely a highlight as a dessert. And they let my DH get a frozen Coke as his beverage.

Studios:
We always end up at ABC Commissary because it is the only indoor/air conditioned place with plenty of tables. Not really my favorite, but I always get overruled about trying something new. (Would love to hear opinions on the other CSs in the Studios.)

GAG!!! ABC Purgatory is nasty! I wouldn't feed my dog with food from there!!!

DHS is definitely suffering when it comes to CS. I've been to ABC Purgatory, Backlot Express, and Studio Catering Company and one other nondescript place over by Tower of Terror. None of them are what I would call excellent, but the other three beat the pants off of ABC!!!

For the other parks, IMHO:

MK: Pecos Bills (best CS in ALL of WDW)
Epcot: Sunshine Seasons
AK: Flame Tree BBQ

Since I'm off my soap box I can now respond to the question posted:

DTD - We LOVE Wolfgang Pucks Express. Only disappointment (more like devestation) was that last time the torch wasn't working for the creme brulee. Never had anything we didn't love, including super picky DD12. We are just not Earl of Sandwich fans - we try it every trip just in case the last times we off times but it just doesn't turn our crank.

MK - We like Cosmic Rays but honestly haven't tried much else - we usually do a sit down here or at one of the monorail resorts - so generally just snacks.

Epcot - Love Tangeirine (I know I'm spelling it wrong, just bear with me) Cafe, Mexican CS but understand they've now taken away the combo platter (we used to get two and share between four of us) again, another crowd favourite Sunshine Seasons is not our fave - the question will be asked - "there are so many selections how can you not find something to like?" - it's not that there's anything wrong with it, just nothing great.

DS - we always hit Pizza Planet because it's a tradition, tried ABC Commisary once - big mistake.

AK - we really like Flame Tree but this time will try Yak and Yeti

Hope this helps!

I know it's just pizza and a salad for more health conscious people, but I love Toy Story Pizza Planet in HS. It is fun to eat there. I feel just like Andy in Toy Story. Surprisingly, when we ate there this past August, it was fairly empty, even right at prime lunch time. The kids love playing the arcade games there, and the food is actually quite good for just pizza.

Though, when it comes to pure food, Sunshine Seasons in EPCOT is really great for counter service. There is a lot of variety, and it is made fresh.

Magic Kingdom: Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe.

Epcot: Electric Umbrella.

Hollywood Studios: ABC Commissary.

Animal Kingdom: Flame Tree Barbecue & Pizzafari.

Downtown Disney Marketplace: Earl of Sandwich.

Contemporary: Contempo Cafe.

Grand Floridian: Gasparilla's Grill & Games.

Bratwurst with a bun and black forest cherry roll
IMG_0790.jpg

We also like Columbia Harbor House at MK, but then again we like fish. This is the fish basket and apple tart dessert
IMG_1276.jpg

I am a visual person. So, thank you for the pictures! :hug:

:thumbsup2 With all the great reviews and that picture of yummy fish, we may have to try the Columbia Harbour House at the MK on our next trip. I checked online and it IS open for lunch AND dinner. So, that will be another nice option for a quick lunch or dinner at the MK. :banana:

I have a question about the bratwurst and bun. Is the bun cut so you can eat it like a hot dog? The presentation looks odd to me. But, I am sure it was yummy! :banana:

:wizard: Jennifer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter