Give me the best tips you have on pin trading

corleone202

Earning My Ears
My 7 year old son decieded to start pin trading on our upcomming disney vacation. What is the proper way to go about pin trading? I know the CM will trade with him but if he see's another with a pin trading landyard do we ask if they are interested in trading? How do you know what pins are official pin tradeable? This is all new to me but I am very willing to learn the ropes.:banana:

One thing we do, is, we go onto Ebay and buy a "lot" of like, 20 pins, for $35 roughly, and it has to say "official disney park pins, 100% tradeable at any park." on the description. Pins are $5-$8 each when you buy them in the park, so if you get a bunch off of e-bay, that will save you $$. I believe true tradeable pins will have the Disney logo on the back and most all come with black rubber Mickey ears covering the needle on the pin.

As far as trading with people in the park, we have never gone up to tourists, because most tourists have pins on that they bought because they want to keep them and there are enough CM's around with lanyards on, that, whenever we see a CM, we run over, take a quick glance and then trade or we just walk away, but that is just us, we are too chicken to go up to a stranger and ask if they will trade with us, so we stay with what we know will be a for sure thing. It's a lot of fun though.

Thank you. I love the idea about e bay most definately will do that. I am very comfortable with trading with a cast member but I am a bit uneasy with a guest. I dont want my son running after a person because he saw a pin which I can see him doing.LOL
Do the cast member tell the kids what is retired and helps them along to get started?

One thing we do, is, we go onto Ebay and buy a "lot" of like, 20 pins, for $35 roughly, and it has to say "official disney park pins, 100% tradeable at any park." on the description. Pins are $5-$8 each when you buy them in the park, so if you get a bunch off of e-bay, that will save you $$. I believe true tradeable pins will have the Disney logo on the back and most all come with black rubber Mickey ears covering the needle on the pin.

I did that! I'm a bit of an ebay nut anyways, but yes, totally true. I got one of these "bulk" deals for $14.70!!! (twenty pins!) and when they came in, I was SO impressed (not what I expected- I expected not-so-wonderful pickings grabbed by the handful), but not the case- it seems they really pay attention to what they give you. I got several limited editions, and the rest were cast lanyards or hidden mickeys. I actually got back on ebay and did it two more times ($17.50 and $15.22). My advice to you is listen to Disney Vegas, and get on ebay (but do it in the middle of the night when nobody is up, and bidding, except crazy people or disney fanatics:rotfl2:)

Also, now that I have 60 pins, I feel better about giving 2-3 of them away to front desk CM's at WL when we check in (think positively... "we WILL score an upgrade." by any bribery necessary :lmao:)

Good Luck! -Stace:hippie:

I did that! I'm a bit of an ebay nut anyways, but yes, totally true. I got one of these "bulk" deals for $14.70!!! (twenty pins!) and when they came in, I was SO impressed (not what I expected- I expected not-so-wonderful pickings grabbed by the handful), but not the case- it seems they really pay attention to what they give you. I got several limited editions, and the rest were cast lanyards or hidden mickeys. I actually got back on ebay and did it two more times ($17.50 and $15.22). My advice to you is listen to Disney Vegas, and get on ebay (but do it in the middle of the night when nobody is up, and bidding, except crazy people or disney fanatics:rotfl2:)

Also, now that I have 60 pins, I feel better about giving 2-3 of them away to front desk CM's at WL when we check in (think positively... "we WILL score an upgrade." by any bribery necessary :lmao:)

Good Luck! -Stace:hippie:

Excellent I am very excited!! Sounds like its a huge money savings and will give it a try. Thank you for the info.:worship:

Do the cast member tell the kids what is retired and helps them along to get started?

It depends on the CM. I know some who seem to know a lot about pin trading to others who did it just as a way to try and make their shift go faster. If I know that a pin is retired or part of a set, I will pass that info on to the kids if they pick the pin. I will then tell them about other pins that I know are in that specific set.

I asked my DH if he thought our ODD would enjoy this, and he immediately said yes, so, I will definitely look into e bay, thank you so much for the info.! I can't imagine going up to a stranger. I am chicken also!

Please, please go to the Collectors forum and educate yourself about counterfeit pins before you spend money on them. The majority of pins on eBay are cheap because they are fake. And yes, it DOES matter.

My daughter LOVES pin trading! I'm not really sure that there is to much that goes into it. We bought some pins, and she runs up to a CM and they are always so nice about trading. Just another great Disney thing!!!!

Please, please go to the Collectors forum and educate yourself about counterfeit pins before you spend money on them. The majority of pins on eBay are cheap because they are fake. And yes, it DOES matter.

While educating oneself is a wonderful and necessary task... I can assure you that every single pin I have purchased on ebay was authentic (and I did look each one up). I don't know, maybe I am just remarkably lucky :confused3

I hope our new pin-trading friend has the same wonderful luck because MAN did it save me $$$! :wave:

Great advice though! One must always seek education :teacher:

We didn't trade with other guests so I can't really help there.

Be polite with CM's when asking to see their lanyards. Don't be afraid to say "I didn't see anything for me but thank you anyway."

Many resorts and shops have pin boards or books for you to look at and trade. I think there may be a list on the Collector's Board.

It is a good idea to pick a theme(Stitch, Princesses, ChipnDale) and stick with it bc there are so many great pins that you won't be able to get them all!

I have seen starter sets on ebay that are themed and for a lower price than what they sell at the parks so that may be a good place for your son to start looking at themes and a good way for you to get a good deal! Also, if you go for individual lanyards on ebay, some are licensed but not actual pin trading lanyards. The pin trading ones are much thicker and hold pins better, and the best way to make sure is to buy them once you get to WDW or buy the starter set.

Have fun!

also check out mousepinsonline.com pins are less than $2 and have all been traders with good selection. I have used them 2x and a friend has also with great success! have fun!

Remember that just because a CM or guest wants to trade for one of your pins, you are NOT obligated to trade said pin. My wife traded with a CM once who said he loved her Eeyore pin. She was literally in tears after the trade. I had to hunt down the same pin as a replacement. She thought she had no choice but to trade. If you love your pin respectfully say no thanks. However if you ask to trade with a CM, I believe they have to trade with you unless it's a CM only pin or some such. Not positive about the last part but I'm sure someone here knows the skinny.:confused3

Great advise thanks to all. I think the majority that have had no problem with the e bay pins I will give it a try and thank you for the info much appreciated.:banana:

how many pins is a good # to start with for trading? I have 2 kids that may be interested in doing this (and if they aren't - then I AM!) :goodvibes so we're trying to determine how many to get as a good "base" to start with.

5 per person?

more?

less?

Why?

thanks!

I/we haven't traded too much with other guests, but the ones that I have were nice. Mostly kids who approached us, I didn't go to anyone else...well, I attempted to find one at one of the "pin trading" things in Epcot, but the guy didn't have one I wanted but wanted me to trade my brand new F&W Festival pin I had JUST purchased and was a little pushy about it!
I put any of the pins I wanted to trade on one side of my lanyard, and the ones I wanted to keep on the other side so I could say "you can trade me for any on this side" to avoid someone trying to trade for a favorite. The kids are cute and I do it mostly for fun, not for the rare or collectible pins. My nieces and nephew were totally into it on the last trip and would trade with ANYONE!
Have fun!

DD & DS went last year with a lanyard ready to trade away. DD looked at a castmember's pins but didn't trade. DS wouldn't even look. We did buy some pins to add. Now, they could have been overwelmed-first trip and all. Both said they thought it was a great idea beforehand and were all for it.

I am just saying, don't be disappointed if it doesn't happen like you expect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter