Girl Scouts earning their way to Disney!

Yeah, my troop are teen age girls also.

And they normally eat like ravenous wolfs, lol. Who ever said girls don't "eat" hasn't been to an 8/9th grade sleep in.

PS if you happened to sign up for the Epcot YES class on photography, I hope you don't get the guide we did, what a drag.

My troop has yet to pick their program. I hope to do that in November. We will be in 8th grade when we go. Appetites vary by scout.

How involved were your Scouts in the planning? What did you have them plan and how?

My girls were VERY involved.

They picked or chose practically e v e r y single aspect of the entire trip.

example for dinning choices : we did it almost like a draft pick

We put up a large poster board for each park, one for resorts and one for DTD.

We made it like a T-chart, Table service on the left, counter service on the right.

Each girl cast a 1,2 & 3rd place vote for each park and each side of the chart, TS & CS.

First place has 10 points
Second has 5
Third has 3

The girls spent a long process of adding up the points for each park, resort and DTD for TS and CS

This helped us determine what was our overall true 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice for any possible combination of eating arrangements.

Then we had them focus on a time range and then a target time.

Such as, when we went to make the ADR they would have a target time of 6-7:30pm, but would take anything available from maybe 5-8pm. If there was absolutely nothing available at all for choice 1 during that range, then we went to choice 2.

So really we just went with pretty much having them pick every single thing.

What helped us a lot, is that we had a sleep in each month. and each month we addressed a certain topic. That way it was spread out over months, and wasn't rushed decisions with lots of conflicts all at once.

I like the idea of having sleepins to discuss things. Doesnt take away from the regular mtgs.

Did all of your scouts go to Disney? Or did you have scouts drop our of troop cuz they didnt want to go? I dont talk about Disney in my mtgs cuz not all scouts were interested in going. A few of them have dropped out this session. Not sure I want every mtg about trip, but the planning is building great skills.

I did have one girl not go because she had just joined the troop the same year. There was no feasible way she was going to earn enough to go. And it would have been unrealistic for her parents to cover it for her.

Having the sleep ins really helped us. Each month we discussed a certain topic or idea. One month was accommodations, another month dining, another month we figured out the tickets, another month was travel/transportation/etc, another month was FP+ and Magic Bands

We did a Disney movie theme sleep in the first Friday of each month. The girls picked the movie and based that sleep in off of the movie. That way the girl whom wasn't going on the trip would still be able to come to the sleep ins and would feel included in the sleep in planning, even though she wasn't going on the trip.

One of the strong points of all the sleep ins, were to teach the girls capers. The really needed to have an understanding that they weren't going to just do for themselves, but they would be helping and doing for the entire team.

Such as if the girls caper to is clear the table after meal, that doesn't mean just putting away her plate/cup/fork but all the plates/cups/forks on the entire table. If her caper was to make the beds that day, shes not going to just pull up her side of the sheets and call it a day, she's making all 3 beds.

It really helped the girls be more effective with their time in the morning, and whenever we were back in the room.

The 4 girls picked 4 capers, for the trip, that they thought were equally fair in work load, that would be done each day.

- Kitchen clean up and mug washer

- Make beds and tidy up room

- Laundry Queen - we did laundry e v e r y single day

- Clean Sweeper - helping keep control of the clutter, knick knacks, papers, etc

We stayed 8 nights, so each of them got it twice.
Now, you know good and plenty as a leader, it's not like we're just sittin on our tush watching them work away. we're up helping and doing right along with em.

One thing that helped us all out was setting a timer. We'd use the phone stop-watch, the timer on the oven or micro, etc. It just helped get stuff done and not linger on and on and on.

Shanna-like Banana - those kapers are brilliant!! Keeps their rooms clean and prevents them from losing anything. I love that. My troop uses capers for all of our trips so they wont be surprised. Plus this gets them used to college dorm life.

I'm also liking the sleepover idea to watch movies and do planning. You could watch movies related to attractions they might never seen before. Most of my troop has never seen fantasmic or Dumbo (WHAT!)

I dont want this yr to be just be about Disney, we need to do a journey and start Silver planning!

Have you done any of the journeys yet ?

I strongly suggest the Journey in a day/wknd format. We did all 3 Cadette Journeys.

We did Amaze by the Adult guide book. I hated it, it didn't line up with the girl book at all, it skipped around here and there. We did all 10 sessions like layout out and when we were done, we hadn't touch but 10 pages in the girl book. Their TAP was meh'

We did Media by the girls book. That one went better. But then the adult guide didn't line up with the girl book at all. We worked through it quicker and the girls TAP was pretty good.

We did Breathe including the TAP in a wknd, and it was the best one. We simply did what we needed to work on to earn each part of the award. We did the TAP and everything went much better.

If you're not a part of Girl Scout Gab on FB, I highly suggest their files section. I could look at it for days and days and days. There's so much good stuff on there one how do each journey in a realistic way.

I found a super great layout for Girltopia and some wonderful resources for Mission : Sisterhood

I learned a long time ago that the journey books are suggestions only. I detest the journeys! I read both books, pull out the main component and present it adding in field trips and build to a program for the troop to run for other scouts. Usually i start it durimg a sleepover and sprinkle topic thru out the yr. I have a lot of scouts who want to earn their Silver so I need to get journey done, get silver award training and write up proposals hope fully before christmas.

Disney puts a whole nother level of craziness on it.

My girls did their prep work for the silver award and sent in proposals. We did a program for our community of Girl Scouts. Our council was so nit picky that it discouraged my girls and after all the work they gave up. They did an awesome job I was so proud of them but they just gave up with sending in all the extra work our council was making them do. They were done with it. I could only encourage them so far. They were ok without getting the award. They did enjoy doing their project with the younger girls and isn't that what it's really about. They were leaders, teachers, and role models. I have the oldest troop in our community by age and it's a small town. When we did our bake sale it was neat to see the younger girls that visited our sale recognize the girls. They are done with scouts after our trip and I'm a little sad but they have learned so much and I'm so proud of them. They are such great kids and I see them doing great thing in the future.

I think its ashame when Council gets in the way. We're starting a pathway for scouts who want to run programs, go on trips, etc but cant make troop meetings. I think its going to bring older scouts together doing things they like when they're unhappy with troop or council.

I hope your troop hangs in there after your trip, even a few stragglers. GS is such a great experience.

Was thinking about the flamingo things and proposed an idea to "Mickey" house. Put Mickey heads on posts. Each head would be decorated as a character - red top, purple middle and green bottom for Ariel. Fundraising comm is thinking it over. Another parent does something similar for her school so we'll see.

400+ days!

That sounds fun. If you decide on flamingos I have them and will be willing to sell them.

uuuggghhhhhh, our council is the same way for projects.

It really irks me when they say no to one group and yes to another.

My girls wanted their Silver Award to be a take off of the Breathe Journey. They wanted to make a community impact to Recycle, reduce and reuse.

They decided that during cookie season they did not to want to use a single plastic bag. Instead they wanted to make enough up-cycled t-shirt bags to use for the entire cookie season.

They were doing to have a t-shirt drive, make the bags and use them at all the booths and home deliveries with info brochures tucked inside about how the bag was made and what normal individuals can do to help recycle, reduce and reuse.

The council person picked their project to shreds ! She wanted every single nilly, willy detail layed out in full. (uumm, isn't that what the planning process is for ?) Then she had to gull to ask : what is the sustainability of using the Breathe journey as their launching point......uummm, hello, it's the GS National format program, ya know the organization you work for !

They went back to her with a re-formatted, re-word proposal and she still said no. By this time, we were already into cookie pre-orders before she even replied and it really put the stress on the girls if they were going to get approved. And it turns out she still said no.

It was a real blow to the girls. All of the girls were discouraged and only 2 decided they want to even try again

Two girls decided to forged on to work together as a team and made their own separate project. After many back and fourth calls and emails, they got approval.

Then one girl and her mom, went behind my back, applied for their own project and got it approved in like a week ! I've never heard a word from this girl if she's even working on it. Shes making pillow case dresses .......

I don't get it. Because that project is ssoooooo much different that we one we applied for 8 months ago and we were told no. :furious:

I understand we want to give the older scouts a challenge, but the higher awards are painful enough without council being difficult. I'm sorry your troop has had this awful experience. We watch our older scouts drop like flies. You would think council would try to do things to help them stay.

Sent out my first donation request letter today! Fingers crossed

I just had four parents tell me to stop sweating the money! That's nice to hear, but let's see what happens when I have to ask them for $500. Planning a car wash, submitted my first sponsorship letter and calling golf course this week.

How am I going to get to day 5 if I'm freaking out at day 465!

It will be fine. Just enjoy the planning with the girls. We are 10 days out. Met with parents last night. We discussed all the final details and brought up the memory makers package and they were all for it and are splitting the cost. It's 149.00 and we split it 4 ways.
You will be surprised at how your parents may surprise you with what they will put out of pocket for Disney. We left it up to them. Again I only have 4 girls going so it isn't on a large scale.

On another note I'm getting a puppy Monday so I will have my hands full before I leave. Craziness

A puppy! That's great! What kind?

10 days out, omg you are so calm! Actually your comment just lit a light bulb for me. I have a board that I can ask for a donation toward a GS trip and I've been debating on what to ask for. I've heard you have to ask for specific items with dollar values and they pick what they will fund. Right now my list is at Disney 2015 bags, Mickeys very spooky Halloween party, chef Mickey dinner. Not sure what they will fund, but your mention of the photo memory package is a definite add on.

Last week I ordered a planning video. Got a second set of personalized maps that we're going to use for planning. I can't wait to start the planning!

Your troop must be super excited! I can't wait to hear how about your trip.

Our new puppy is a mix. He was rescued with his siblings and are being fostered. Can't wait to pick him up on Monday.

I just purchased the memory makers package. I'm getting nervous about how to link all our stuff. We have our bands, I need to link the tix and the memory maker. I think I have to do it all there. Just getting nervous. Now it's hitting me. I only have 5 more shifts of work before we go. We are on the 10 day forecast. Just looked at next Sunday and it's gonna be 90.

If I could give a tip on the MM.

If for some reason you have to sit out of a ride, give somebody else in your group that you trust to hold your Magic Band for the ride.

It will auto detect the Magic Band attached to the MM, and will add your ride photos to your MM, even though you aren't on the ride

If I could give a tip on the MM. If for some reason you have to sit out of a ride, give somebody else in your group that you trust to hold your Magic Band for the ride. It will auto detect the Magic Band attached to the MM, and will add your ride photos to your MM, even though you aren't on the ride

Wow that's a huge tip! I thought you could link all of the bands to the MM! I haven't really looked into it too much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter