Girl Scouts earning their way to Disney!

Just wanted to throw this in there, but GS have done something similar to this for the last couple of years:

http://www.disneynow.com/profile/web/index.cfm?PKwebID=0x58958f8dd&varPage=home

We hope you can join us at the Walt Disney World Resort for Girls Unite 2014! This year’s event is scheduled for May 29 – June 30, 2014, and includes educational programs that follow our theme: Dream. Act. Change. Plus, attendees will get to experience the magic of our amazing theme parks and other fun-filled resort activities.

Our programs offer a variety of exciting, impactful topics for your Girl Scouts, including:
•Conservation
•Success and Leadership
•Science and Technology
•Creativity

Has anyone done this before?

Just had an awesome meeting last night with troop. I had planned on doing chocolate dipped pretzels for bake sale this weekend. Had scout ask to do Disney talk, turned into character dining discussion. Agreed to make our own autograph books. Then someone asked about Mine ride so I pulled up video on my phone and we watched it. Then we watched splash mountain video. Then we started to watch haunted mansion video, but we turned lights out and gathered around my phone and watched. So much fun!

Wanted to buy scouts Mickey ears but so expensive $200 total, but I found a template on pinterest for headband ears. Going to make one up and show scouts cuz they really want to do their own ears.

Applebees flapjack fundraiser on Saturday, so far we've raised $450 but hoping for more day of.

I made Mickey and Minnie ears super cheap for my DDs 3rd bday (which was 4 years ago...lol). SUPER DUPER easy. This isn't the tut I used but it's the same concept: http://www.onecreativehousewife.com/2012/06/diy-mickey-minnie-mouse-ears.html. It would be a great idea for the girls to make their own at a meeting!

I LOVE the idea of a GS Disney trip. Our troop just bridged to Brownies (going into 2nd grade) and this would be an awesome idea to save up for...maybe go our 5th grade year? Have so much fun!!!

I made Mickey and Minnie ears super cheap for my DDs 3rd bday (which was 4 years ago...lol). SUPER DUPER easy. This isn't the tut I used but it's the same concept: http://www.onecreativehousewife.com/2012/06/diy-mickey-minnie-mouse-ears.html. It would be a great idea for the girls to make their own at a meeting! I LOVE the idea of a GS Disney trip. Our troop just bridged to Brownies (going into 2nd grade) and this would be an awesome idea to save up for...maybe go our 5th grade year? Have so much fun!!!

I just found this pattern on Pinterest and agree definitely much cheaper then Mickey ears. Plus I'm thinking each scout can make their own, one set of ears for each day and interchange using the same headband.

I would definitely fundraise over a few yrs. we did two and I think it might be just enough. The sooner you start the less pressure fundraiser will be. Don't forget to fill out all your forms!

UPDATE - So excited! With the amazing support at our Applebees pancake event last week, my troop has raised another $1,000! Sadly with this gain there is a loss, one of my scouts has dropped out if the trip. With our parent meeting in Oct 2014 - when contract will be signed and a non-refundable deposit made I'll get the final count. Right now we are at 10 and Im happy with that right now!!

Planning our next carwash!!!

At last night's meeting we did DIY Mickey ears! Black felt, foam sheet and hot glue. Found it on Pinterest. The ears slide onto a headband. The scouts decided to make a different set of ears for every day. Last night was the first set that they toom home and will decorate on their own. This will save the troop $150 by making ears instead of buying a pair for each scout!!

My troop is going in 32 days!!! Can't wait. We saved for 2 years. Our fundraisers were cookies, qsp, and then we did flamingo flocking(big money maker) and we did easter fundraiser with making bunny flowerpots that looked like the bunny fell in. we thought we would sell about 10and ended up selling 96.
We are doing the YES program and we were able use my mother-in-laws time share in disney and rented her points to stay at old key west. we are also doing the quick service meal plan. With plane tickets park tix meal plan and hotel our price for each girl was less thank 1000.00 for 5 nights 6 days. Our girls worked really hard to earn this trip.
Good luck with your trip and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Cindy

I am also planning on making t-shirts for the girls. There is a great group of ladies on here that will do designs if you want. I had them make me a shirt that says we flocked our way to Disney. It has a flamingo wearing mickey ears and our troop number.

My girls are going to be Juniors this year. They talked about a Disney Trip last year so I think this may be something we work on since we will have the next two years together to plan & save. They did an amazing job selling cookies this year even in the bitter cold & with all the snow (we're from Philly). If you could give me any tips of how to get started that would be awesome! Idk if Disney offers discounts or has any scout programs the girls would be eligible for? Thank you!!!

My troop is going in 32 days!!! Can't wait. We saved for 2 years. Our fundraisers were cookies, qsp, and then we did flamingo flocking(big money maker) and we did easter fundraiser with making bunny flowerpots that looked like the bunny fell in. we thought we would sell about 10and ended up selling 96. We are doing the YES program and we were able use my mother-in-laws time share in disney and rented her points to stay at old key west. we are also doing the quick service meal plan. With plane tickets park tix meal plan and hotel our price for each girl was less thank 1000.00 for 5 nights 6 days. Our girls worked really hard to earn this trip. Good luck with your trip and if you have any questions please feel free to ask. Cindy

OMG! How exciting!! Love the flamingo theme. We also made Mickey ears using felt and headbands - scouts loved the idea they could custom make ears for each day. Plus it saved us $150 not buying Mickey ears. Plus I found make your own Mickey head earrings using the Mickey head punch - found it on Pinterest

Did you get any sponsorships from companies? I'm working to get letters out to local companies this summer. Praying tickets don't go up too much high.

I had heard the yes program meal plan was vouchers, but they also had a dining card type of program where you load amounts to a card and use like a gift card for food. Not sure what we're doing yet.

So jealous!! I'm nervous. I wish you all the good luck and positive ness I can send you!!

My girls are going to be Juniors this year. They talked about a Disney Trip last year so I think this may be something we work on since we will have the next two years together to plan & save. They did an amazing job selling cookies this year even in the bitter cold & with all the snow (we're from Philly). If you could give me any tips of how to get started that would be awesome! Idk if Disney offers discounts or has any scout programs the girls would be eligible for? Thank you!!!

Mrs Lapo - the Disney YES program is a great opportunity for scouts. Check out the program. It uses science, marine life, arts, etc and teaches the scouts. I figured airfare, food, tickets and hotel would cost each girl $1000 for a 4 day trip staying on Disney property. We have been fundraising for a year and raised only $2000, but we have a golf tournament scheduled in the spring which should bring in $5-7000!! We have car washes, gift wrap station, Applebee's breakfast, sponsorship requests, programs, etc. Lots of ideas. I don't have a ton of parent help getting the word out, which doesn't help, but I do have a fundraising committee which does helps. Not everyone feels my passion about raising the funds as much as we can as quickly as we can, but it's coming along.

If anything I think the planning, fundraising and everything else related to the trip has been an amazing learning event and we're only 1/2 way done.

I've written an eight page contract for scouts and parents to sign agreeing to policies in cancellations, fundraising, room, costs, rules, etc.

For fundraising I've opened up a separate account for fundraising only. When scouts attend a fundraising event only those scouts who participate receive and equal portion of the profit. Then I have an excel spreadsheet to allocate the profit across scouts. This way it's honest and fair but only for those scouts who participate in the fund raisers. Scouts can earn funds themselves, but need to be approved.

The great thing is my Mickey Head thermometer showing our fundraising progress has encouraged other troops to start talking about trips!

We are from south jersey and are flying out of Philly on southwest. We were fortunate to get great prices on flights. We also kept detailed money raising for each girl. Some did more than others to earn money. Parents were aware whatever wasn't earned they were responsible for. I have been with these girls for 9 years. They are sophomores now.
Good luck to all who are fundraising.
Like I said before I made bunny flower pots and sold 96. Was a big surprise. Found it on pintrist

Cindy

We are from south jersey and are flying out of Philly on southwest. We were fortunate to get great prices on flights. We also kept detailed money raising for each girl. Some did more than others to earn money. Parents were aware whatever wasn't earned they were responsible for. I have been with these girls for 9 years. They are sophomores now. Good luck to all who are fundraising. Like I said before I made bunny flower pots and sold 96. Was a big surprise. Found it on pintrist Cindy

Flying Southwest are you concerned you won't get seats together? We're pricing thru JetBlue - flights are so expensive.

What have you done to prep the troop to go? Prep meetings, planning, etc?

We paid for early bird so we will be in a group for boarding. We should be able to sit together. Our girls have been planning for 2 years and we have had planning meetings with the girls and their parents. We are 26 days away and the last bit is getting all the paperwork together. We need to sell our flamingos now. We ended up with 50 and are going to try to sell them to be able to pay for the memory makers photo package.

bearbear said:
We paid for early bird so we will be in a group for boarding. We should be able to sit together. Our girls have been planning for 2 years and we have had planning meetings with the girls and their parents. We are 26 days away and the last bit is getting all the paperwork together. We need to sell our flamingos now. We ended up with 50 and are going to try to sell them to be able to pay for the memory makers photo package.

What a great idea - memory maker package. I cant wait to hear about your trip. Gives me confidence that it can be done!! Good luck!

bearbear said:
Got our magic bands today

Omg!! Are you totally jumping out of your skin right now!! So exciting!

So what are you doing for meals? We're thinking of staying at AOA since it has frig and kitchen areas.

We are doing the quick service plan. It was 200.00 for 5 nights per person. We added it into the price. We are also ordering groceries from garden grocer and packing a suit case of snacks

bearbear said:
We are doing the quick service plan. It was 200.00 for 5 nights per person. We added it into the price. We are also ordering groceries from garden grocer and packing a suit case of snacks

Wait I dont understand, they gave us options of the meal coupons or the prepaid dining cards?

Ive budgetted $200 for gardengrocer breakfast (maybe lunch too) and then TS for dinner. Lots of these scouts haven't been to a character meal before! Im looking at Chef Mickey, Garden Grill and a fantasmic package with H&V. Too much?

Don't do the meal vouchers, you will lose money

They are like $14.99 per voucher ? You'll end up paying more for the vouchers than you will end up spending on your meals.

I had posted several times through out this thread over previous months.

Well my troop went on their trip. We purchased the regular dining plan. On the last day of the trip we had 4 QS and 24 snack credits left.

After purchasing 24 snacks to take in the car back home, and they let us use the 4QS as "continental" meals, which equated to 12 more snacks.

We added up all the receipts, and we paid approx $280 more for the dining plan than what we ordered/ate worth.

If we hadn't of used up all those extra snack/ QS credits on the last day, we'd be looking closer to losing over $400 in paying for the plan more than what we got for it.

In order for the vouchers/dining plan to be an bit effective every single person essentially has to order the very most expensive thing on the menu every single meal, even if it's not something they want or are very hungry.

Many of us weren't always wanting a full meal. Over the week several times the 6 of us split 3 meals and no body was any bit hungry to eat a bite more.

I say do the gift cards, then you don't have to worry about making sure you get the better end of the bargain. The girls can order what they really want to eat. If there's any money left over at the end, you can use the gift card for spending.

I have teenage girls going with me so they are always hungry. But I also agree with having to use your quick service meals wisely. We have planned out where we want to eat keeping in mind how much we paid for the plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter