• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gift Cards Using Credit Cards?

ninecrayons

DIS Veteran
I am in the process of purchasing some Disney gift cards from Sam's Club. In the past I'd use cash and directly purchase from Sam's, but am considering a new process.

My credit card has the following perk: "Earn unlimited 3% cash back on dining, entertainment, popular streaming services and at grocery stores."

I am considering buying Visa gift cards from the grocery store in order to maximize the savings. Has anyone ever done this? Advice?

Visa gift cards have a $5.95 activation fee, which would prob negate the 3% you'd get back on your card. I'd stick with Sams for the 4% and if you have a credit card that gives you anything back on all purchases, use that. Or Target, if you have their red card its always 5% off those.

So taking a 1000 purchase- Visa cards you'd save $26 after the activation fee
Sams $40, plus any cb from your card, and if you use Ibotta theres sometimes something back there too
Target would be an automatic $50.

Wait, you are talking about using the visa cards at Sams? Sorry, it's early lol. I think I've seen where people have done that sucessfully. Beware tho, you may end up with odd amounts left on the visa cards that can be a pain to use, imo.

Thanks for the info Dez! So yes, my plan would be to use the Visa gift cards to then buy the Disney cards from Sam's.

I did a little math and if I purchase the Visa cards and then apply them to the Sam's purchase, I'll still end up with about $50 in cash back. I'm not running out to do it today, but something to consider!

Thanks for the info Dez! So yes, my plan would be to use the Visa gift cards to then buy the Disney cards from Sam's.

I did a little math and if I purchase the Visa cards and then apply them to the Sam's purchase, I'll still end up with about $50 in cash back. I'm not running out to do it today, but something to consider!
Tread lightly. Some credit card issuers don’t take too kindly to blatant visa gift card purchasing at grocery stores in large denominations. I’d stick with 5% off with a Target debit/credit card personally.

I am in the process of purchasing some Disney gift cards from Sam's Club. In the past I'd use cash and directly purchase from Sam's, but am considering a new process.

My credit card has the following perk: "Earn unlimited 3% cash back on dining, entertainment, popular streaming services and at grocery stores."

I am considering buying Visa gift cards from the grocery store in order to maximize the savings. Has anyone ever done this? Advice?

I would look into just getting a Target Redcard and getting 5% off. Not going into multiple steps to get a discount.

If you insist on using the card you have, find a grocery store that sells Disney gift cards.

Don't forget that once you buy Disney gift cards then you are permanently converting that money into a format that can only be spent at Disney. Not saying that anything would happen but who would have thought we would be in the 3rd year of a global pandemic.

If you read all of the fine print on many credit cards, they specifically exclude gift cards from their savings programs. Gift cards are basically cash transactions and they are wise to people who try to buy huge amounts of them just to gain the % back they offer. There are also older threads on here where some stores limit how many dollars of gift cards you can buy at one time due to concerns about money laundering, theft or various gift card scams.

I also agree that if you have large amounts of cash tied up in a specific brand of gift card, that money can't be used for anything else. While Disney isn't likely to go out of business, many other companies have during covid and those gift cards became worthless.

I would look into just getting a Target Redcard and getting 5% off. Not going into multiple steps to get a discount.

If you insist on using the card you have, find a grocery store that sells Disney gift cards.
Sometimes those multiple steps end up as a 12-15% discount and are 100% worth it lol. 7-800 is nothing to sneeze at.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter