gift card issue

Dznypal

DIS Veteran
today I was combinding gift cards
I got down to the last 2 I had noticed that the cardboard backing was bigger then my other cards
they also didnt just flop open like the others--I had to tear through the backing to get to the cards
so I put all the info in and got to the scratch gently well the cards were more like heavy cardboard
then the plastic types which the silver covering comes off pretty easy
but since these cards were more like cardboard it scratched the whole number off so I cant even read it

I did call the number on the back of the card the agent was hard to understand but if I understood her
right she said since the barcode was ok then I could just swipe the card when I want to use it
so if Im right again then I wouldnt be able to combine it with my other cards and just use it seprately
has this ever happend to anyone else where you cant see the gift card number

I have not had that happen, these cardboard type gc are fairly new to the market it my area. As long as the barcode is ok most places will use a handheld scanner to scan the gc, that's actually the preferred method for some CMs as the mag strip readers are real finicky. You are correct you can't combine it, use it online or use it on the phone since you can't see the numbers.

I bought one of these today actually, instead of scratching off I very carefully peeled off the back, peaking at it as I peeled to make sure it didn't peel off the numbers.

I'm going to cross post this to the gc thread as a warning for folks.

ETA: after transferring I tried to scratch at the number to see if it came off and it started to! Your warning is very much appreciated.

ETA2: scratch with a dime. the ones I tried peeling today the numbers started peeling up but scratching with a dime did not scratch the numbers off.

Last edited:
Are these cards at Target? If so, I might just order e- cards. This sounds horrible.

actually Im not sure where these were from either we get them at target to get the 5% off
or from kroger when they have 4x the fuel points

There was a thread about this issue with the paper/cardboard gift cards from Target. I can’t remember what the solution was.

I did end up with one of these. After gently scratching the silver bar I noticed the numbers were getting remove. I was able to very very carefully remove the silver using tweezers

i they were from target I hope theyre not going to keep carrying those--there so hard to work with

I had issues with a cardboard gift card I bought at Whole Foods. I called the Disney number listed on the gift card. They had me take a picture of the front and back of the giftcard. Then they verified the funds were on the gift card, asked if I had another blank gift card (I did) and they transferred the money to the blank gift card. I asked what would happen if I didn’t have a blank gift card and they said they would send me an electronic gift card but that takes 2-5 days to process and the transfer to the blank card was immediate. The woman I spoke to said it happens all the time and she wishes they would stop making the cardboard cards. Overall pretty easy to fix but I felt bad that the CMs had to keep dealing with this.

Just an FYI, when scratching the GC, I find using a dime works best of all the coins for scratching on the silver coating (it is not as wide and has finer groves on the side then other coins. Just my unscientific observation. Not saying this is the case but scrtching gently works best, I know some people tend to be slightly agressive when sractching. I buy GC's every week for my disney trips both plastic and cardboard and have not had the issue being described (maybe I was just lucky, not sure??)

I had issues with a cardboard gift card I bought at Whole Foods. I called the Disney number listed on the gift card. They had me take a picture of the front and back of the giftcard. Then they verified the funds were on the gift card, asked if I had another blank gift card (I did) and they transferred the money to the blank gift card. I asked what would happen if I didn’t have a blank gift card and they said they would send me an electronic gift card but that takes 2-5 days to process and the transfer to the blank card was immediate. The woman I spoke to said it happens all the time and she wishes they would stop making the cardboard cards. Overall pretty easy to fix but I felt bad that the CMs had to keep dealing with this.
Do you know if you can use Whole Foods gift cards to buy Disney gift cards?

Had the same thing happen. I peeled the silver off, not realizing until it was too late that the gift card numbers also peeled off. This was my first cardboard gift card, all the ones I bought last year for DVC dues were plastic.

Called the number on the back of the card, was told to take pictures of the gift card and the receipt and email in. A few days later, they responded and moved the funds to an empty gift card.

What a pain. Obviously the paper gift cards are not working well if this is a known issue. This is making me rethink buying gift cards to pay my DVC dues this year.

I had this happen with a Disney Gift Card. These normally have barcodes. I had no problem using at Disney for multiple purchases.

Target now has a regular gift card in cardboard. They have to pull off a tab on the back to activate. I feel as if I now have to tell the gifted person why the card looks opened. But I tried one today and it does work. I guess it's just a new system.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter