Getting COVID while traveling to WDW - what we did and RAPID PCR test

ValleyNY54

Earning My Ears
I wanted to share a few ideas we learned as we faced one family member getting COVID after we arrived in Orlando for Disney. Here are some resources we found helpful.

1. A home Binax test, someone had with them showed positive for Grandpa, but with ten other family members exposed, we needed quick PCR confirmation. The Urgent Care 24/7 in Kissimmee offers a RAPID 30 minute PCR test at their location. They do NOT take insurance, and it costs $199 paid via credit card/cash. However, I filed for insurance AFTER getting home. The results were done in 30 minutes for my husband and me. Unfortunately, he was positive for COVID on day #2 of a 12-day vacation. I think the other Urgent Care 24/7 locations in and around Orlando (besides the Kissimmee location) might offer the same quick PCR test. To protect others, we needed to know fast about a PCR result to begin quarantining outside of the family.

2. Once positive, we researched Florida's resources for "monoclonal antibody" (Regeneron) treatment. To our amazement, Florida has established 18 State-run locations to administer Monoclonal Antibodies to ANYONE who has a positive test result. You do NOT need a "doctor's order" to get this treatment in Florida. A positive test result and a series of signature releases will get the treatment underway. We registered ONLINE with the state's "FloridaCovid19" response website and got an immediate appointment for a state-run location about 20 minutes from Disney in Apopka, FL. We supplied insurance information, but insurance was not required. The process was smooth and the Regeneron was administered via 4 easy shots (yes, easy ones) and NOT using IV infusion, like the old way.

With our old age and also health issues, #2 made sense, but we are NOT suggesting it for others. If you need an immediate PCR test result and can pay out of pocket (later file w/ insurance if possible), then knowing about #1 might be helpful.

None of the rest of us got sick by some miracle. Grandpa's case was a "breakthrough" and not expected. But on vacation, the unexpected happens, and hopefully, other travelers can use what we discovered about Orlando Covid testing and Florida state offerings.

Thank you for sharing… So helpful to be prepared instead of panic and more stress worries.

That's a great update! I hope everything remains healthy.

Thank you for the information for those of us who travel to Florida during these times. l have seen the Florida page for those Regeneron sites and it seems so straightforward. Where I live we don't have that and it's very confusing if you are interested to find out about the option if you were to test positive.

Happy to hear that you did not have any adverse reaction to the treatments, not did anyone have a serious bout with the 'rona, but you did not report what happened with your actual vacation. Did any or all of you stay in quarantine, or did you attempt some park visits?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter