• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Get Rid Of Dining Plan!

wolverine2010

Earning My Ears
Any passholders or florida residents sick of the dining plan!!...it has ruined so many good times we all have had in the past esp at epcot..do you agree?..vent here

I'm not questioning your opinion, I'm just curious-what part of it has ruined your good times? And what good times are ruined?

What has been in the past i guess does not matter on this board...it is a frenzy of what rest is available or the menu..it is a frenzy to book a adr...it is a frenzy to decide or ask about a place or menu..i am honestly scared by it all..in the past i could take my family to wdw and w/adr get a good meal..this has gone away

I wonder how many pages this thread goes...there is one started about once a week now...mostly from people with between 1-8 posts to their name....Coincidence? Maybe..:confused3

As far as the topic, I couldn't quite interpret what the actual complaint was.

They always ask me when I call if I'm on the Dining Plan and I'm wondering...if I was, would it make some difference?

I know many menus have changed and you get a little less of certain things, but I don't know if this is Dining Plan related or just another Disney cutback.

Generally, I don't really care about the DDP, though. It wouldn't fit my plans even if I didn't have an AP. I do eat two meals a day, but they are usually both table service, so that leaves me out of the DDP frenzy. :)

I'm an AP holder and I love the DDP. We always ate at the restraurants before buying the DDP and still do after buying the DDP, we just don't hesitate to get the most expensive now. We've actually been able to eat at a couple of signature places now because of the DDP.

i think most peps from outside fla dont understand it...makes me sick to my tummy to see what has transpired

I wonder how many pages this thread goes...there is one started about once a week now...mostly from people with between 1-8 posts to their name....Coincidence? Maybe..:confused3

As far as the topic, I couldn't quite interpret what the actual complaint was.

I have not been to WDW in 14 years. However, the last time I went one of our favorite things to do was to treat ourselves to at least one full service meal per day in a nice restaurant. We especially loved sampling the restaurants in WS. As I am now planning the "big" trip, I am concerned about the food reports--it seems meal quality is sporadic at best. Is it result of the DDP? Is Disney focused now on quantity instead of providing a quality dining experience? Also, does anyone really want to make ADRs six months out? I can understand a special meal like CRT (I myself am already lying awake at night wondering if I will get an ADR for my daughter's birthday), but should one really have to decide on 50's Primetime vs. Sci Fi six months out?
I am new here and am not trying to ruffle feathers, but I think it is a valid topic.:confused3
Thanks

I have not been to WDW in 14 years. However, the last time I went one of our favorite things to do was to treat ourselves to at least one full service meal per day in a nice restaurant. We especially loved sampling the restaurants in WS. As I am now planning the "big" trip, I am concerned about the food reports--it seems meal quality is sporadic at best. Is it result of the DDP? Is Disney focused now on quantity instead of providing a quality dining experience? Also, does anyone really want to make ADRs six months out? I can understand a special meal like CRT (I myself am already lying awake at night wondering if I will get an ADR for my daughter's birthday), but should one really have to decide on 50's Primetime vs. Sci Fi six months out?
I am new here and am not trying to ruffle feathers, but I think it is a valid topic.:confused3
Thanks

I think the answer to your questions, like many restaurant reviews are a matter of opinion. I think if you look through the dining reviews, you will see that some people like the quality and the service, some people do not. For those people looking for fine dining experiences, there are some to be had around WDW and you pay a heavy premium but you can say that for many areas, not just WDW.

I think the ADRs are certainly more of a symptom of the dining plan than quality or service. However, I think it is a generalization to say that you must make every reservation 6 months out or you cannot get them. The days of showing up during a peak dining time and hoping to just walk in to a popular restaurant are probably over.

People tend to blame Disney for the fact that they want to keep their restaurants filled to capacity. There is actually nothing wrong with that..that is what they should be trying to do.

The OP stated their opinion and they are welcome to it. My opinion is that people want a scape goat to blame for Disney dining not being what they remember it from 10 or 15 years ago. And it is just convienent to blame the DDP, whether it is accurate or not.

10 or 15 years ago...????.i am sorry but you can go back and trace all this to the ddp...if you want to live w/rose colored glasses on then ok..but 10 to 15 years???...

You know what the food is the same whether you are on the dining plan or not. Maybe you should plan out your meals or just fly by the seat of your pants. I don't understand what the beef is with the dining plan don't use it if you don't like it.

myladyisatramp..do you understand my complaint is w/the food and service delcine since the ddp has started??

My opinion is that people want a scape goat to blame for Disney dining not being what they remember it from 10 or 15 years ago. And it is just convienent to blame the DDP, whether it is accurate or not.

Interesting. It seems that the consensus is that Disney dining is not what it used to be. If the DDP is not the culprit (and I am not saying it is--like I said, I have not been in 14 years) what other theories are out there?

In the end, whatever the cause, I would like to see Disney's food quality improve. Do they have any incentive to do so with the guaranteed customers the DDP ensures?

...I am concerned about the food reports--it seems meal quality is sporadic at best. Is it result of the DDP? Is Disney focused now on quantity instead of providing a quality dining experience? Also, does anyone really want to make ADRs six months out? ...I am new here and am not trying to ruffle feathers, but I think it is a valid topic.:confused3
Thanks

I agree with you. And who cares if feathers get ruffled? It's a discussion board. There are so many problems reported with the DDP and the ADR system from quality of food to availability of restaurants I think I'll simply avoid dining at WDW as much as possible during our upcoming visit unless I can just get walk up seating.

Making reservations 6 months out is absurd. We didn't even decide to go until April! What's worse is that so many make ADR's they don't even plan on honestly keeping. They're "just in case ressies". And people will make them for every available restaurant at every time they can. Some will cancel them that day if they aren't going to keep them, but the result is that it clogs up the ADR system with "just in case ADR's" at prime meal times months in advance. Some have posted here that they bought the DDp and then could barely use it due to the ADR system and no availability. How the Sam Hill can WDW sell guests a dining plan when the only dinner times available are at 4:00pm? Some will say that these people simply failed to plan, but the majority of guests are not the experts that inhabit these boards.

I agree with the OP - can the plan and the current ADR system. Penalties should be charged for those not keeping ressies - much like guaranteed for late arrival at a hotel. Even a $5 penalty will make most people think twice about making a bunch of unnecessary ADR's. I guarantee that would free up a LOT of ADR dining availability.

look you all...i understand and can get the ddp for familys to be able to afford going to wdw...but we i think have to come up with something to stop the madness that this has become..and i has become a beast on its own...i am not out to deprive any family of having a great trip to wdw...on the contrary i hope and wish everyone that wants to can go...but the current ddp is a mess in my op and has caused the quality and service of some very fine places to go down the tubes...i would like everyone to see that point and give feedback to make both doable

look you all...i understand and can get the ddp for familys to be able to afford going to wdw...but we i think have to come up with something to stop the madness that this has become..and i has become a beast on its own...i am not out to deprive any family of having a great trip to wdw...on the contrary i hope and wish everyone that wants to can go...but the current ddp is a mess in my op and has caused the quality and service of some very fine places to go down the tubes...i would like everyone to see that point and give feedback to make both doable

I believe I see your point---I too have no issue with the DDP per say and would strongly consider using it. I believe your question/opinion is that a result of offering the DDP has resulted in crowded restaurants, no spontaneity in dining decisions and a lapse in food and service quality.
When we went years ago, we made our ADRs each morning when we arrived at the parks. It's a shame that you cannot do that anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter