Funniest comments you've overheard in WDW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kevenswife2 said:
Guess maybe she didn't think she was a foreigner because she spoke English? And I bet sometimes even she is hard to understand. Bubbler/drinking fountain, bonnet/hood, bangers/sausage, etc.

I was born and raised with the work "bubbler" in Wisconsin, and it is used in many of the states in this area. But don't even try to use the word "bubbler" outside of the eastern midwest: in all my travels outside of that area, no one uses that word. After twenty years on the east coast, I have finally learned to say water fountain.
I can't even imagine trying to navigate Disney without being able to speak English (or American, as the case may be)!

I'm British, I can assure you I've never even heard of the world "bubbler" (it's a drinking fountain) and never used the word "bangers"! Nor have I informed anyone that it's "raining cats or dogs"; my car however DOES have a bonnet and a boot, not a hood and a trunk (car, not elephant); fries are chips and chips are crisps and damn it it's jelly not jell-o and jam not jelly!

ougrad86 said:
I was born and raised with the work "bubbler" in Wisconsin, and it is used in many of the states in this area. But don't even try to use the word "bubbler" outside of the eastern midwest: in all my travels outside of that area, no one uses that word. After twenty years on the east coast, I have finally learned to say water fountain.
I can't even imagine trying to navigate Disney without being able to speak English (or American, as the case may be)!

I just had to chime in and say that up here. . .Mass, just north of Boston you hear the term "bubbler" a lot (at least in my hometown Lowell)! Although, most people say it "bubblah" once you factor in the Boston accent! :rotfl:

Kath2003 said:
I'm British, I can assure you I've never even heard of the world "bubbler" (it's a drinking fountain) and never used the word "bangers"! Nor have I informed anyone that it's "raining cats or dogs"; my car however DOES have a bonnet and a boot, not a hood and a trunk (car, not elephant); fries are chips and chips are crisps and damn it it's jelly not jell-o and jam not jelly!

Same as me :) I was going to post about the bubbler thing too, as I've also never heard of it (and I'm British). In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a drinking fountain here in the UK! Also if I said 'bangers' I think people would laugh at me. :rotfl2:

hogwartsdropout said:
Same as me :) I was going to post about the bubbler thing too, as I've also never heard of it (and I'm British). In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a drinking fountain here in the UK! Also if I said 'bangers' I think people would laugh at me. :rotfl2:

We recently moved to Wisconsin and bubbler is big here. In fact, the kids I work with in school didn't understand what I meant when I said "drinking fountain!" Never heard it in Michigan so it's very local I guess!

Quoated from Wikipedia:

Bubbler is a trademarked name that refers to a drinking fountain.

So this whole Bubbler thing is like other "trade marks" that gets to be know so well that the "trade mark" becomes more common in speach than the real name.

Other examples:
Kleenex - name brand of a "facial tissue"
Band-Aid - name brand of an "adhesive bandage"
Coke - name brand frequently used to generically mean "soft drink"
Tylenol - name brand for Acetaminophen (though around here, "asprin" is more likely to be used for the generic word for "pain reliever")

Just remembered- our bus driver, taking us back from EMH at Epcot, got everyone singing the mickey mouse march, blowing the horn
LOUDLY
at the end of each verse. Kept everyone from falling asleep, at least.

"M-I-C, K-E-Y, M-O-U-S-E !"

(honk honk!)

The funniest thing I have heard came from my little neice. My mother, her grandmother, told her to "stop acting like a fool in public" my niece asked "is this public?" Grandma said "yes" Then a disappointed little voice replied "I hate public"

kollektorin said:
hi there check out my latest pics!!
any comment are welcome :blush:

Another thread has stated that this leads to a spam site. I tried checking it and it wouldn't link me at all. Just thought you should know!

mikiclements said:
The funniest thing I have heard came from my little neice. My mother, her grandmother, told her to "stop acting like a fool in public" my niece asked "is this public?" Grandma said "yes" Then a disappointed little voice replied "I hate public"
:rotfl2:

i was walking though the castle and seen a lady standing there with her husband or something and said
"what is the point of the castle!? it doesnt even have anything to do with disney"
i turned to her and said "um its cinderellas castle"
she gave me alook like i was crazy and walked away

:rotfl:

Kimberly815 said:
I just had to chime in and say that up here. . .Mass, just north of Boston you hear the term "bubbler" a lot (at least in my hometown Lowell)! Although, most people say it "bubblah" once you factor in the Boston accent! :rotfl:

yes! so true. massachusetts uses the word bubbler. i'd never heard of it until i came up here for college.

... Her brother then piped in that she was going to get them kicked out of their private school, and that they would (gasp) have to go to public school(he seriously seemed to fear that possible outcome).

My district's public schools are an unholy mess and often dangerous. Anyone who can manage to afford it at all uses private school, usually parochial school. Not a day goes by that I don't hear some parent in my neighborhood threaten a misbehaving child with being sent to public school. We don't use that threat, but DS has picked it up by osmosis -- he is sure that public school would be a fate worse than death. He knows that not all public schools are bad, but he knows that ours are, and he doesn't want to experience them first-hand.

From a father to his 2 small sons in one of the parks. 'We bring you all this way and all you want to do is play with the trash cans!'

I felt his pain!

iggbees said:
yes! so true. massachusetts uses the word bubbler. i'd never heard of it until i came up here for college.

Bubbler is what we call it here in MA. As a matter of fact I never heard the term Water Fountain, except for an actual fountain in a garden etc, until high school when a transfer student from Texas joined my English class. We said bubbler, he had no idea what we were talking about!! Poor thing was so thirsty, he had been trying to figure it out all morning!!

Not the funniest ever - but amusingly true:

At MK it was the crazy hour just after the parade when every child who needs a nap goes berzerk simultaneously. Two little girls (maybe twins) at MK were sharing a stoller. One of the girls hopped out, screamed, and started punching the other girl really hard in the arm. The puncher's face was bright red with anger, and the mom was trying to pull her off of the other girl.

Another mom and child were walking by, and the child said something like "What's happening? Is it a fight?" The mom just glanced over and said "Oh, we all have our moments..."

How true! As adults we just try not to act them out.

IN EPCOT

My husband and I were sitting on a bench along the path to the international gateway entrance to EPCOT. We were about 1/4 of the way down the small "hill." We were waiting for the fireworks to begin. We had some time, so I wandered over to the store that's right there. I came back to my husband about ten minutes later and there was an empty stroller a few feet in front of him. He said, you're not going to believe this. Right after you left this family unloaded their kid and just left the stroller there in the middle of the road. It was so bizarre and terribly rude. They had to pass the stroller return at the bottom of the hill to leave the park. The fireworks were about to begin, so we decided to wait until they were over and just return the stroller at the entrance about 50 feet away. A good half-hour passed since the stroller was abandoned, and low and behold, here comes the family. They plopped their kid in the stroller and went back into the park. We guessed that they were in the restroom/store and didn't want to push the kid back up the small grade of a hill.

Kevenswife2 said:
Most all of the funny/stupid things I heard on my recent trip came straight from DH's mouth! :guilty: Calling the monorail the tram, messing up all the ride and resort names, asking me who the princess in the pink was (Sleeping Beauty) and then what was her story. Made it hard for me to believe he's married to me, a Diser! How embarrassing!!

Wow! I can't believe it. How embarassing. Your husband called the monorail a tram, wasn't sure which princess wears pink, and doesn't know her story. Then he mixes up the names of the resorts and parks. I'm surprised you haven't divorced him yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter