"Fundraising" for Large Family Reunion

snyderla

<font color=red>DVC Lori<br><font color=navy>DH lo
We are in the beginning stages of planning a Reunion for approx.50-70 family members. (There are 78 of us, I don't know yet how many may not go.) Some of us will have a difficult time financially being able to make it...I want everyone that wants to go to be there. So one of my cousins has offered to help me with fundraising for some of the events, a Grand Gathering event and a special meal event.
I read the post about E-Bay, my husband has recently started buying on Ebay, so that sounds like a good way to raise money.
Does anyone else have any ideas on how to raise money for trips? We have a lot of time, well, kind of. We are either going SEpt 2005 or FEb or Summer 2006. (Most likely Sept.2005 from preliminary feedback). I'd love to hear everone's ideas!

Lori

I think one thing I would do is give all my family members Disney Dollars for b-day and x-mas gifts! Even the kids. This will help them save toward the trip. Garage sales usually bring in some significant cash, and with so many families involved, you could have a HUGE garage sale. Also, tell EVERYONE to start saving their change .... every day! If they put all the change they have in a jar (adults and kids), it really adds up to ALOT of $.. faster than you would think! I would love to do what you are doing, but I don't think I could get my family together on the timing etc..... Good luck and have a wonderful trip!:sunny:

If you like baking now is the season for it, you can sell to freinds or local stores.
Gift wrapping is in season too, you can have your stand at the mall.
Lawn care or yard racking for the young ones.
Car washing at weekends i always like to have my car washed for a cause.
Typing, depending on where you live and if it is needed.
Look for anything you don't want in your house and sell it on ebay or garage sale.
Estimate the cost of the whole trip and divide it by the number of the weeks till your travel day to find out how much you need to save per week.
check with hotels of your choice for a special tour rate package or check with a travel agent just to have an idea of the options you have there, I know that it cost almost 1/4 of the regular travel cost if you are in a large group, even disney give special packages including airfare, it always surprise me how low it can be.
Good luck and happy times.

I second the monry jar!! It workfor us even Dd got into the spirit and saved all her christmas and birthday moneyin the jar the was $45.00!!

At my bank they have a savings account that can draw a set amount every month from Checking. I had mine draw $75. But I'm not the primary bread winner. So,It was so easy. And I never missed that money cuz I knew it was building our Disney Fund!!

Theres a few ways to do this.

Sit down with the kids that are going explain the costs, in kid terms...get a committment from them...sign a fun contract "I, Joey Smith agree to put $3.50 each week of my allowance in the disney fund...I understand that all money I save will be mine to spend on my trip...I also understand that if I save no money, I will have none on my trip.."

Take the adults- meet with them, no kids...find out exactly what they want to do....parks, or water parks...pool days....lazy days etc.... plan a mock itinerary for each Uncle Joe doesnt like water parks- but he likes theme parks- okay Uncle Joe and group A- here's a mock itinerary for you...that will cost X$...for those of you that want a water park- here's your itinerary and the cost..

Explain that Disney Dollars do not expire, they can purchase them for all the kids for bday and xmas ....they can also purchase them for adults...remember that you can use these for meals, sovinerars, your room rate etc...

As for fundraising...I would work out an agreement with the adults- you give me your ebay stuff, I list it/ship it etc.. and only charge the listing fee. That way all the families can reap in the ebay rewards, but only 1 person handeling it.

You could set it up to do a pick up on every other sunday at each house for ebay items.

Start planning now for a MAJOR garage/yard sale next spring...Columbus Day Weekend...SELL EVERYTHING you haven't touched in a year....Get everyone together at whoever has the most convinenet yard and GOGOGO!

Good luck

Brandy

We plan our big family reunion trips about 2 years in advance. There are only 9 of us, two couples, two single adults, and one family of 3. I figure the amount of the trip per "family," divide by the number of months, and that is the amount they need to save each month. Since this will never happen, they each send me the money, just like paying one of their bills. I am extremely organized and they are not, so this works great for our family. As their money builds up, I buy their tickets, etc. When the trip gets here, I give them back their spending money. Works for us!

Thank you for so many wonderful ideas!
Lori

Some more ways - from a thrifty family :)

Budget with envelopes...set aside a certain amount for groceries, etc. Clip coupons, shop sales, be diligent about not buying extras at the grocery store or Target - and buy store brands and clearance/sale items whenever possible. Whatever you don't spend from the grocery budget goes right into the Disney Fund.

Look into a vacation club through your (or your DH's) employer - sometimes it can be taken out from the paycheck pre-tax and that's a really easy way to not even miss it.

Tax refunds - pop 'em right into savings!! A quick chunk of cash!

Cut down on driving - this saves us a ton...we do our best to not leave the house unless necessary, and then we run all errands on one day. Hit the stores closest to your house only once or twice a week and come straight home.

When you are tempted to order a pizza or rent a movie as a family, discuss with them if they'd rather do this or Disney. We popped a $10 or a $5 in the Disney jar reguarly by making something at home when we were tempted to order out.

Call Geico. They are our car insurance provider now and we have saved SO much over the past three years. I can't begin to tell you! We pay in monthly installments (instead of in chunks every 6 months) and you pay four months and get two months off. Those two months off, put the "insurance money" from the budget right into the Disney Fund!

We also have a Visa check card through USBank with a cashback option on all our spending that is NON-pin. (Anything run through as "credit" not "debit") It costs us the exact same, but we get 1% back every year. We pay all of our bills, gas, insurance - everything with the card. This year we got over $100 back - for nothing!!! :) It was an easy save.

Santa brings Disney Dollars - as do Grandma and Grandpa and birthday presents, etc. If they don't want to buy Disney Dollars we suggested clothing that can be worn at Disneyworld (for us, Princess shirts, nightgowns, and jammies - to cut down on souveniers and letting the girls get some "new" stuff down there)

Get your airfare through Southwest - ours was $91 each way - but there are even less expensive rates through them. At times they go as low as $49 each way! You can't buy it ahead of time too much (I think 5 or 6 months) but keep an eye on the fares and buy when it is lowest!

Ebay and garage sales - especially "lots" of children's clothing. Include photos and calculate actual shipping costs...buyers love this.

Consider picking up a small part-time job on the weekends...or start sewing/crafting from home and sell on ebay or in a craft mall locally. Go in with a friend and rent a booth at the craft fairs...you might pull in a good chunk of your trip by doing that. Instructions are all over online for free!! You might also look into doing home parties - Pampered Chef, Partylite candles, and Discovery Toys are all ways you can earn money just by going to parties and selling items. Typically you have a mentor (or consultant) who takes you through the steps and helps you get parties signed up!

Go for voluntary simplification!! We started buying the girls two pairs of jeans, two long sleeved t-shirts, a sweater, a sweatshirt, and two church dresses each fall. A few pairs of socks and undies, and one multi-purpose pair of shoes. You might do a bit more laundry, but you'll save a ton. :)

If your kids are old enough, have them do odd jobs for neighbors. Mowing lawns and shoveling snow (raking leaves, too) can make a bit of money here and there :) DH hates doing this stuff, if we had a neighbor whose child would be willing to do it, I'd pay!!!

Make your gifts - for Christmas, birthdays, etc. If you sew, find something to sew them...if you bake, bring homemade breads or cookies. People appreciate the gift and throughtfulness of your time...and often the consumable/perishable gifts are more appreciated than the ones that have to be stored somewhere :).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter