"Fuel Limit Maximum Reached" message today at the pumps...

TaraPA

Can't live without a ticker!!!!
I've never seen that before!

I was sitting in the vehicle with the accessory on so I could listen to the radio while it filled, and I noticed the pump shut off right as the fuel gauge needle got to FULL. I figured the nozzle had touched the fuel & it shut itself off, as usual. So I get out to top the tank off (it always gets just a tad above the FULL line) and it wouldn't let me pump anymore. I turned around to look at the pump & it was flashing "Fuel Limit Maximum Reached" and it was at exactly $75. So is there a dollar limit on fuel these days? Or was the nozzle sensing that the tank really was full and it's just irony that it was an even $75? I looked around for a sign, I felt like it was the 70's & we were in a gas ration again!

Is this something new, or have I just never needed that much fuel in my tank before? I know I have, because I've driven it to the gas station with the low fuel light flashing, and that warning light wasn't on yet today (it was about to be!)

Oops meant to post on Community Board - mods feel free to move!

Did you pay with a credit card? I wonder if that is the amount of the hold they automatically put on the card so the pump is set to shut off when you reach that $75 dollar amount.

I don't think it is new, it is just that more people are reaching the limit with the higher prices of gas.

The limit is not actually for the gas, it is for the charge to your credit or debit card.

I see this quite often around here. I think it is the gas stations/pump that max's it out at $75. I've used my cc at one place that does this and the same cc at another place and it has let me go above $75 so I don't think it is the cc, but I could be wrong.

Some of the chains around here put a limit on fuel - drives my hubby crazy with his truck as he cant fill it... $75 is common... The one around here that I know does it is Kum & Go...

It's the limit on your credit card, not the amount of gas you can purchase. It happens at some stations but not others, depending on their policies. From what I've read it's due to the fact that Visa/Mastercard will not reimburse the station more than $75 (it used to be $50) if the charge is disputed or a fradulent card is used.

Ah that must be it - yes I put it on my VISA. Last time I needed to fill up it was over $75 - at a different gas station - so they must have a different limit.

Thanks everyone!

There is a Hess station near my parent's house that shuts off at $50. I can't even get a full tank of gas there anymore. The Citgo right across the street goes above $50 and is the exact same price for gas...so Hess has lost my business.

There is a Hess station near my parent's house that shuts off at $50. I can't even get a full tank of gas there anymore. The Citgo right across the street goes above $50 and is the exact same price for gas...so Hess has lost my business.

Oh that's frustrating! I have to go out of my way to get gas, there isn't one on my way to/from work or grocery shopping, so if I had to keep going back for $50 tanks I'd switch too!

It was a Hess I went to today, that had the $75 limit.

Oh that's frustrating! I have to go out of my way to get gas, there isn't one on my way to/from work or grocery shopping, so if I had to keep going back for $50 tanks I'd switch too!

It was a Hess I went to today, that had the $75 limit.

I should have been more clear. It's not ALL Hess, just the one near my parents house. (I don't want people to read my post and avoid all Hess stations). The Hess near my house does keep pumping beyond $50, my tank is full before $75 (for now) thanks goodness.
But the gas stations near my parent's house are always .03-.05 cheaper than the one's near my house.

They do this due to the drive offs. They are losing too much $ in gas, you can fill up with more if you go to the counter/window to pay. One guy in our town loses $400 or more a month due to drive off and paying with stolen credit cards.

Did you pay with a credit card? I wonder if that is the amount of the hold they automatically put on the card so the pump is set to shut off when you reach that $75 dollar amount.

This is exactly right. If you get to $75 and the tank is not full (it happens with my van and its 26 gallon tank :scared1:) all you have to do is replace the nozzle and swipe your card again to start a second transaction.

I _think_ that some debit cards do a $50 hold so they might stop at that point instead of going to $75.

Typically if this happens you will need to reset the pump by completing the order and then act like you are a new customer. Run your card again and start fueling again to finish filling your tank. You will show two charges on your card. That is the advice from gas stations here in Michigan.

I see you live in PA like I do and there has been news stories about the fuel supply being low because they need to have the summer blend in the pumps and they do not have enough of it ready. They asked the DEP to allow them to finish selling the winter blend of gas but they said no, the shortage isn't great enough yet.

Interesting! Yesterday I discovered that someone has gotten ahold of our Discover Card number (we still have the cards so they weren't stolen). There are 5 charges on the account from gas stations in Bryan, TX (I'm in Omaha, NE) , 2 are for exactly $75, and 3 are for exactly $100 all on the same day! I thought it so odd that they got gas for those exact amounts. They must have used stations that topped of at $75 or $100! Either way I am not having warm thoughts for Bryan, TX!:mad:

A gas station fuel dispenser is one of 1st places a thief will try to use a card. They know right away if the card has been reported lost or stolen when it authorizes. My dispensers make you enter the billing zipcode which a lot of the time a thief will not know or take the time to look for when they have your wallet. Then they will go right for the big retailers.

You can enter your card again in the dispenser and finish fueling if you need more than the $75 limit. It is a limit set by the credit card company. They "eat" the fraudulant charges at the gas dispensers becasue there is no way that retailers can verify who is using the cards.

I never get upset with a cashier that asks to see my ID when using my credit card. I sure wish a lot more of them did. I make my cashiers verify ID on any merchandise transaction over $30.

I've never seen that before!

I was sitting in the vehicle with the accessory on so I could listen to the radio while it filled, and I noticed the pump shut off right as the fuel gauge needle got to FULL. I figured the nozzle had touched the fuel & it shut itself off, as usual. So I get out to top the tank off (it always gets just a tad above the FULL line) and it wouldn't let me pump anymore. I turned around to look at the pump & it was flashing "Fuel Limit Maximum Reached" and it was at exactly $75. So is there a dollar limit on fuel these days? Or was the nozzle sensing that the tank really was full and it's just irony that it was an even $75? I looked around for a sign, I felt like it was the 70's & we were in a gas ration again!

Is this something new, or have I just never needed that much fuel in my tank before? I know I have, because I've driven it to the gas station with the low fuel light flashing, and that warning light wasn't on yet today (it was about to be!)

Just an FYI - You should never "top off" the fuel tank.

Here's why.

The "extra" fuel you think you are getting into your tank actually goes back into the gas pump to avoid spilling the gas and contaminating the air.

This is a safety feature to prevent gasoline spills, which can harm ground level air quality.

So that "extra" fuel you think you are putting in the tank (or the nice round number you are putting on your credit card) is just a bonus payment to the gas station.

This I learned from an air-quality educator in a large municipal city.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter