"Fuel Limit Maximum Reached" message today at the pumps...

Just an FYI - You should never "top off" the fuel tank.

Here's why.

The "extra" fuel you think you are getting into your tank actually goes back into the gas pump to avoid spilling the gas and contaminating the air.

This is a safety feature to prevent gasoline spills, which can harm ground level air quality.

So that "extra" fuel you think you are putting in the tank (or the nice round number you are putting on your credit card) is just a bonus payment to the gas station.

This I learned from an air-quality educator in a large municipal city.

I think you misunderstood what I meant by "top off the tank." I noticed from the fuel gauge that it wasn't filled all the way, so I tried to add more. Normally when the sensor stops the nozzle from filling, I'm done.

This is exactly right. If you get to $75 and the tank is not full (it happens with my van and its 26 gallon tank :scared1:) all you have to do is replace the nozzle and swipe your card again to start a second transaction.

This happened to us all the time when we had our big conversion van. Sometimes it took me a minute to realize what happened when I got the credit car bill at the end of the month.

Sheila

Just an FYI - You should never "top off" the fuel tank.

Here's why.

The "extra" fuel you think you are getting into your tank actually goes back into the gas pump to avoid spilling the gas and contaminating the air.

This is a safety feature to prevent gasoline spills, which can harm ground level air quality.

So that "extra" fuel you think you are putting in the tank (or the nice round number you are putting on your credit card) is just a bonus payment to the gas station.

This I learned from an air-quality educator in a large municipal city.

Thank you so much for sharing this! It sounded a little fishy, but I googled and it is true

Ya there's a cap that your cc company puts on your card to use at the gas pump. I assume that's because if someone gets your card number and tries to buy gas they aren't paying out a huge amount of money to the gast station..... :) But yes, I've had that happen to me before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter