From Europe to Africa in America - A Sisters' Expedition

DSC06963.jpg

:cloud9:

Can't believe it's over :sad1: Looking for a new post everday was something I looked forward to but I guess there is always DLP and then the ptr for your next DW trip which is soon to follow. :yay::yay::yay:4 more days:dance3: have a safe journey and take tons of pics!::MickeyMo::MinnieMo

It does look very cute, doesn't it? :goodvibes

It's not totally over yet!! Still two more updates to come and Final Thoughts (but it is allready written and will go up the next two days!). I am feeling very bad that you did look for a new post everyday, you must have been dissappointed so often since it often took me such a long time to get the next update posted... :scared1:

I am hoping to start the PTR on Saturday before we leave for Paris and DLP will then be covered as part of the PTR. :goodvibes

Fabulous updates ladies!:thumbsup2

Jiko is on mine and my DH's list for next trip, it looks very good! Heck, I'd go just to have these. Although, I can't imagine they'd be gluten free.
DSC06951.jpg

Wow, those pancakes are enormous! Boma was certainly generous with their portions for breakfast. I LOVE that it's shaped like Mickey, so cute!

Isn't departure day awful? I hate leaving. I'm usually planning another trip in my head as we leave too! DH thinks I'm crazy but I don't care.:laughing:

What a wonderful trip for you and Katharina.:goodvibes

Jiko is a great place for food allergies! I think I read that they also have a gluten free menu there. I think this is wonderful that they actually come up with special menus. It is so much nicer to get a menu full of choices! :thumbsup2 I hope you and your DH will enjoy your meal there.

Unfortunatley, I think, the dessert I had is no longer on the Jiko menu anyway. So you will have to try something else. But then it does not matter wether they were gluten free or not...

Departure day is not a lot of fun. Especially because for us it also meant that we had the 9 hours flight ahead of us that evening... :sad2:

Magdalene, I just noticed your ticker! It says four days!!:woohoo: How exciting. I can't recall, did you say you were planning to do a TR for this?? Please?:flower3:

Special Boma morning. :cloud9:

Those Mickey Pancakes look like a special touch that Boma and Disney in general is known for. :goodvibes

I am sure they tasted as good as they looked.

Leaving is never easy but I look forward to the last moments right before the next trip to DLP.

I am sure I will be around but wishing you a safe trip filled with magic and great weather. :wizard:

I have seen seveal reviews of Tusker, and many,many more of Boma. In the end, I think I'd like to try both someday. Then again, I really have to think twice about ANY breakfast ressie I make. I really doubt I'd get my money's worth drinking coffee and having a small sampling of the fare.

I'm sad it's about time to wrap this up, but hey, another fantastic trip is just around the corner! How is that packing going??

What are you looking forward to most?

As for creamed corn- I'm skeptical. I don't think the Native Americans used milk so much. I do know that a HUGE part of the first Thanksgiving was oysters and clams from the nearby beaches.

It's not totally over yet!! Still two more updates to come and Final Thoughts (but it is allready written and will go up the next two days!). I am feeling very bad that you did look for a new post everyday, you must have been dissappointed so often since it often took me such a long time to get the next update posted... :scared1:

I am hoping to start the PTR on Saturday before we leave for Paris and DLP will then be covered as part of the PTR. :goodvibes

:flower3:Don't feel bad I only started reading in December so I had plenty to catch up on. Plus you always post such intresting things and give extra info (about Germany and attrations that have long since gone) that the wait adds to the suspense of the next adventure.
Can't believe your planning to post till the eve of your DLP trip I'm always a little frantic worrying that I forgot something that I have little time except to pack and repack :rotfl2:

Magdalene, I just noticed your ticker! It says four days!!:woohoo: How exciting. I can't recall, did you say you were planning to do a TR for this?? Please?:flower3:

:banana::banana::banana::banana:

It's pretty cool, isn't it? Katharina and I are getting pretty excited!

We are planning to include some reporting about DLP in our upcoming PTR, but it won't be as detailed. I guess most people here don't need all kind of planning info about DLP. :goodvibes So we are thinking about a format that will cater to our "audience" here on the WDW trip report forum. :thumbsup2 We hope to at least include plenty of pictures (even though DLP is doing its best to prevent this by loads of refurbishments... actually, I am quite happy about that, the park is in dire need of some TLC!).

Special Boma morning. :cloud9:

Those Mickey Pancakes look like a special touch that Boma and Disney in general is known for. :goodvibes

I am sure they tasted as good as they looked.

I don't know who remembers how disappointed I was at the beginning of the trip because it seemed like the chefs did not care very much about Katharina's dietary needs? They did provide edible food for her, but there was nothing special in any way. But those two last meals at Jiko and Boma really improved my view of Disney Dining for special needs! :thumbsup2

Leaving is never easy but I look forward to the last moments right before the next trip to DLP.

I am sure I will be around but wishing you a safe trip filled with magic and great weather. :wizard:

It really makes it easier to end this TR because I can go on a new trip and have the next one booked as well! :thumbsup2

I have seen seveal reviews of Tusker, and many,many more of Boma. In the end, I think I'd like to try both someday. Then again, I really have to think twice about ANY breakfast ressie I make. I really doubt I'd get my money's worth drinking coffee and having a small sampling of the fare.

I can understand you very well! I started with breakfast buffets at WDW because the friend I used to travel with loves large breakfasts. And while they don't make much sense for me economically, I still love to experience American breakfast fare at least once or twice on a trip to the US! After being absolutely disgusted on my first trip to visit my aunt that someone would offer be potatos for breakfast, I kind of grew to like it for the ethnic appeal it has to me. :lmao:

I'm sad it's about time to wrap this up, but hey, another fantastic trip is just around the corner! How is that packing going??

What are you looking forward to most?

What packing?? I am still in the process of unpacking from my trip to Berlin - just returned yesterday. Tomorrow is laundry day and then I will start to pack on Friday at the earliest. But only because I will be busy running my 5k on Saturday!!

Really difficult to say what I am looking forward to the most... There are quite a few things:

Lunch at Agrabah Cafe in Adventureland on Sunday: a middle eastern food buffet in the most beautiful setting. It used to be a shop with a small tea shop integrated in it and Katharina and I had mint tea there in 1997. It was closed for quite some time and now is a restaurant.

Big Thunder Mountain (no Railroad in the name in DLP) - its faster and on an island - but also Space Mountain - our first love at DLP, it has inversions!

Tower of Terror: it openend after our last trip to DLP in their studios park.

A break in the bar at the Disneyland Hotel: the bar has a view down Main Street!

Peter Pan's Flight: for some reason I think it is better at DLP, at least I remember it to be better there. I need to check it out!

Spending time with my sister and her best friend from school: I got to hang out with them quite a bit when we were teenagers (I think they loved having me driving them. ;)) and I haven't seen Katharina's friend for quite some time. It will be great to reconect! She and I will actually fly together from Nuremberg, so we will be able to catch up a little before meeting Katharina in Paris.

These are my highlights to look forward to. I wonder what Katharina's are?? Please, tell us, Katharina!

As for creamed corn- I'm skeptical. I don't think the Native Americans used milk so much. I do know that a HUGE part of the first Thanksgiving was oysters and clams from the nearby beaches.

Wow, you are taking this really serious! I get your point on the milk. It is very much a European thing (well, and some nomadic folks).However, both corn and turkey are foods we would not eat if nobody had brought them from the Americas to Europe. Same with potatos btw. My father loves to tell the story how they were originally planted as flowers in the gardens of kings.

:flower3:Don't feel bad I only started reading in December so I had plenty to catch up on. Plus you always post such intresting things and give extra info (about Germany and attrations that have long since gone) that the wait adds to the suspense of the next adventure.
Can't believe your planning to post till the eve of your DLP trip I'm always a little frantic worrying that I forgot something that I have little time except to pack and repack :rotfl2:

Thank you very much for your sweet compliment on our TR! It was a lot of fun to put it together. :goodvibes

Well, DLP really isn't so much a trip which makes you frantic. It is a much smaller place than WDW and easier to plan for. And we will be there for 2 full and 2 half days. We are expecting to be able to see everything we want without any problems. And since we won't be away for that long, there isn't that much packing involved. Oh, and my very organized sister provided a very neat document for us with everything we need to do and to pack for the trip!! :goodvibes

I can understand you very well! I started with breakfast buffets at WDW because the friend I used to travel with loves large breakfasts. And while they don't make much sense for me economically, I still love to experience American breakfast fare at least once or twice on a trip to the US! After being absolutely disgusted on my first trip to visit my aunt that someone would offer be potatos for breakfast, I kind of grew to like it for the ethnic appeal it has to me. :lmao:

Now, see, the potatoes are the one thing taht really does appeal to me. With either gravy or cheese all over them. Seriously, less like breakfast, and more like a dinner food. But hey, cereal just doesn't do one thing for me.

Would I normally eat a piece of bread and jam or granola for breakfast like I did in Nuremberg? NO! But it was perfect for the cultural setting and I enjoyed it for hte few days I was there. :lmao:

What packing?? I am still in the process of unpacking from my trip to Berlin - just returned yesterday. Tomorrow is laundry day and then I will start to pack on Friday at the earliest. But only because I will be busy running my 5k on Saturday!!

How'd I miss you were even going- sheesh, I really need to pay closer attention!

Another 5K? You go girl!!

Really difficult to say what I am looking forward to the most... There are quite a few things:

Lunch at Agrabah Cafe in Adventureland on Sunday: a middle eastern food buffet in the most beautiful setting. It used to be a shop with a small tea shop integrated in it and Katharina and I had mint tea there in 1997. It was closed for quite some time and now is a restaurant.

Big Thunder Mountain (no Railroad in the name in DLP) - its faster and on an island - but also Space Mountain - our first love at DLP, it has inversions!

Tower of Terror: it openend after our last trip to DLP in their studios park.

A break in the bar at the Disneyland Hotel: the bar has a view down Main Street!

Peter Pan's Flight: for some reason I think it is better at DLP, at least I remember it to be better there. I need to check it out!

That is a seriously fun list! And long one at that! It all looks like great excitment!!!

Spending time with my sister and her best friend from school: I got to hang out with them quite a bit when we were teenagers (I think they loved having me driving them. ;)) and I haven't seen Katharina's friend for quite some time. It will be great to reconect! She and I will actually fly together from Nuremberg, so we will be able to catch up a little before meeting Katharina in Paris.

But this looks like the best one on that extensive list! Time with family and friends is the best!

Wow, you are taking this really serious! I get your point on the milk. It is very much a European thing (well, and some nomadic folks).However, both corn and turkey are foods we would not eat if nobody had brought them from the Americas to Europe. Same with potatos btw. My father loves to tell the story how they were originally planted as flowers in the gardens of kings.

You are right- and I believe that squash came from N. America as well- so another food that might have been on the historic table- but only more recently to your modern ones. ;)

Now, see, the potatoes are the one thing taht really does appeal to me. With either gravy or cheese all over them. Seriously, less like breakfast, and more like a dinner food. But hey, cereal just doesn't do one thing for me.

Would I normally eat a piece of bread and jam or granola for breakfast like I did in Nuremberg? NO! But it was perfect for the cultural setting and I enjoyed it for hte few days I was there. :lmao:

This starts to sound like the discussion we had about Artist Point... :goodvibes The great thing is that WDW has so many different experiences to offer that everyone is free to choose the ones that appeal to them the most!

That's why I never understood the people here on the DIS who give advise to total strangers like: "you MUST eat at xxx". I think the only thing you can do is give the facts and tell people what you liked about it and why. Then they can figure out wether it is a good thing for themselves and their travelmates... :confused3

How'd I miss you were even going- sheesh, I really need to pay closer attention!

I think I might have mentioned it briefly somewhere, but did not advertise it that much... :goodvibes We had a fun weekened together, with afternoon tea at the Ritz and a visit to the zoo.

Another 5K? You go girl!!

I will be so slow!! Had my last run today and did not move at all... But it does not matter. At least signing up for it made me go out and follow my training schedule. :goodvibes Next event is a 10k in June...

That is a seriously fun list! And long one at that! It all looks like great excitment!!!

But this looks like the best one on that extensive list! Time with family and friends is the best!

I liked the list as well after I typed it! Considerint that I originally contemplated this trip to be a solo trip, I am quite happy that it turned out not to be solo. :banana:

You are right- and I believe that squash came from N. America as well- so another food that might have been on the historic table- but only more recently to your modern ones. ;)

That sounds very plausible. Squash is another food that isn't that common in German cuisine. And it is used for the Thanksgiving meal. :goodvibes Same with sweet potatos btw. And maple syrup... I must say the Americas have really provided some tasty things to the European table! :thumbsup2

These are my highlights to look forward to. I wonder what Katharina's are?? Please, tell us, Katharina!

I think my highlight is to have some days off work ;)
No seriuosly, I think they are very much the same as Magdalene's. I guess that's why we are such good travel buddies. I'm also looking forward to lunch on our last day at Walt's. I don't think there is a similar restaurant at WDW, but I think at DL (Magdalene???). There are lots of old photographs and memorabilia and if we are lucky, we will get a window table with a view of main street.

I think my highlight is to have some days off work ;)
No seriuosly, I think they are very much the same as Magdalene's. I guess that's why we are such good travel buddies.

:goodvibes

I'm also looking forward to lunch on our last day at Walt's. I don't think there is a similar restaurant at WDW, but I think at DL (Magdalene???). There are lots of old photographs and memorabilia and if we are lucky, we will get a window table with a view of main street.

There is a place that is supposed to be similar in DL, but unlike Walt's it is a private club: Club 33. You can only get in there if you are a member or are invited by a member. Walt's is less exclusive, but very beautiful as well. It is on the second floor of a Main Street buliding and has several rooms, each themed for one of the lands of the parks - while still being decorated as a Victorian restaurant to go with the theme of Main Street.

I am excited about our meal there as well! :banana:

After breakfast we finished the last bit of packing and left our bags with the bell people. Then it was time for the last few hours of fun at AK. Our flight wasn't leaving until 8:45 pm and sincew we had an international flight we had an earlier pick up time with Magical Express, but that wasn't until 4 pm. So we still had quite some time to enjoy at WDW.

AK was our choice for the day, we rather wanted to stay close to our hotel and not take any chances with any long bus rides across property. Also, we really love this park and it felt like a good choice for leaving on a high note.

We arrived at AK mid-morning and found the park rather busy. It was again an overcast day, but much warmer. It was actually rather humid as well and we got an idea of what summer in Florida might feel like.

After picking up a Fastpasss for the Safari, we went on a last ride at Expedition Everest. Then back to Africa. In Harambe we saw that there was an actually lesson going on at the little open air class room which is towards the back of the village, close to the entrance to the Safari:

DSC06964.jpg

DSC06965.jpg

We considered checking it out, but felt more like getting on our ride. But it looked like a neat presentation.

We could not resist getting some last pictures:

DSC06966.jpg

DSC06967.jpg

DSC06969.jpg

DSC06971.jpg

And then we did indeed see something which was worth the picture: the cheetah! I hadn't seen it before this trip and this was the second time during our trip that I got to see it:

DSC06973.jpg

And even the lion did pose quite well:

DSC06976.jpg

After the Safari, we took some more pictures of the scenery, a water fountain:

DSC06977.jpg

And a letter box:

DSC06978.jpg

And we needed to get a snack, glazed almonds. They smelled better than they tasted. We aren't used to almonds having cinnamon in the glaze, here it is just plain sugar. We decided that we prefer them the plain way, without cinnamon:

DSC06979.jpg

We wandered back towards Asia to experience the walking trail there. On the way there, we stopped at the gibbon rocks.

Remember that the mother was due to have the baby and that it wasn't born yet when we were in AK the day before yesterday? We asked, but even though the baby had been born, it had not been out yet, so we just saw the father and the girl:

DSC06980.jpg

We continued on through Asia:

DSC06981.jpg

DSC06982.jpg

And got some last pictures of us in front of Everest:

DSC06983.jpg

DSC06984.jpg

Image0685.jpg

Image0695.jpg

Continued in
Part 2

Then we walked the Asia trail which still is very beautiful and has so many opportunities for pictures:

DSC06985.jpg

DSC06988.jpg

DSC06989.jpg

DSC06990.jpg

DSC06992.jpg

DSC06991.jpg

DSC06993.jpg

DSC06994.jpg

DSC06995.jpg

DSC06997.jpg

DSC06996.jpg

DSC06998.jpg

DSC06999.jpg

DSC07000.jpg

DSC07001.jpg

DSC07002.jpg

When we left the Asia trail, we looked at the gibbons again. The baby was there now and it was out as well for the first time:

DSC07003.jpg

DSC07008_2.jpg

We were very excited!!

Then back to Africa (don't ask why we went back and forth so many times, it does not make sense, and I don't remember why we did this...). In Africa we did the Pangani Forest trail:

DSC07009.jpg

DSC07010.jpg

DSC07012.jpg

DSC07013.jpg

DSC07014.jpg

DSC07015.jpg

DSC07016.jpg

Continued in
Part 3

We walked some more trails, this time those around the Tree of Life and took some more pictures of the animals carved into the bark of the tree:

DSC07017.jpg

DSC07018.jpg

DSC07019.jpg

DSC07020.jpg

DSC07021.jpg

DSC07022.jpg

DSC07023.jpg

We also saw some parrots (I know that their real name is different, but this is the only name I can come up with at the moment):

DSC07024.jpg

DSC07025.jpg

And then we stopped walking between Africa and Asia and instead walked to Dinoland for some lunch at the Restaurantosaurus. Arriving in Dinoland we realized that the planter for “Dinorama” actually uses old number plates:

DSC07026.jpg

DSC07027.jpg

And then we ventured into the restaurant. We got a burger to share and some water. Here we got clear plastic cups for the water. I guess so that people don't get cups for water and then just help themselves to soda at the self-service machines.

DSC07031.jpg

The burger was pretty nice. Overall I think we really liked Restaurantosaurus as a CS option at AK. Restaurantosaurus might not have the most upscale counter service menu, but it is very neatly decorated. It is the canteen for the students who work with the dinosaur research facility and they have a lot of fun putting up all kind of memorablia:

DSC07028.jpg

DSC07029.jpg

DSC07030.jpg

After lunch the weather was very muggy and we thought it would be better to make our way back to AKL before the rain would start because we did not want to deal with being wet before getting on our plane.

Of course I wanted one last stop at the photopass photographer:

Image0712.jpg

Image0718.jpg

Image0723.jpg

And then it was time to leave the last park of our trip... Just when the first drops started to fall...

Next:
Chapter 40: Time to Travel Home...

We arrived at AK mid-morning and found the park rather busy. It was again an overcast day, but much warmer. It was actually rather humid as well and we got an idea of what summer in Florida might feel like.

Maybe it gave you an "idea"....but you wouldn't believe the real thing.
Smiley08.gif

That's a great picture of the tiger in the fountain!

I never noticed how flat that bicycles tires were. I have a picture of that somewhere, I'll have to find it and see what it looked like when I was there.

That's cool that you saw the first time that the baby gibbon ventured out.

Wow! Lots to comment on here as I catch up...

First of all, great job finding the cheetah again! Looks like you found him just after he was shot by poachers. :rotfl2: But I'm glad the animatronic lion was awake!

I agree about the path in Asia. Simply outstanding work done by the Imagineers there. I think we could have photographed the ruins all day long, and I love some of your shots. And I've never seen the tiger climbing on the fountain like that before!

Also agree that Restaurantosaurus is a good spot. We really like Flame Tree Barbecue, but my kids were thrilled with R--osaurus. Their food was served in beach-toy buckets, which went over very well.

I can't wait to hear all about DLP! Have a great time and I'll look forward to the TR!

I think of Sam Eagle when I see MSEP. At the end the patriotic float says "To Honor America" and I usually think- "It's a tribute to all nations, but mostly America."

Pat, I do this too. It's such a great line...my wife and I quote it all the time! :rotfl:

That video from DLP was so cool!! I LOVE those! :love: So exciting that you will be there in just a few days!! :banana:

Seems like you had a great last day- I do hate for it to end, but I am looking forward to reading about DLP!!:goodvibes

WOW! Quite the updates ladies! Thanks for sharing. I'm sad you trip is over! But can't wait to read about your DLP adventures!

Sorry I didn't comment sooner we've been rather sick in our household as of late. DH has pneumonia! I'm going to the doctor later today. And everyone else is starting to get sick as well. Hopefully we will be on the mend soon!

If I'm not back before you leave to DLP have a wonderful time and take lots of pictures. You know I love pictures! :rolleyes1
(I hope you don't mind all the ones I've bombarded you with)

Have to agree with Glenn That pix of the Tiger was awesome !! I usually get his backside shown to me:rotfl2:

2it2ykg.gif

Not a Germnan Holiday or an English :rotfl2: but never the less a Happy one !!!!:hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter