Free Dining Oct-Dec Is Here!! Dates Confirmed!!! ~ Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
DonaldnDaisy5 said:
I was unable to book with a cm because I have a reservation with a ta already for that time. The cm I had was super nice and said he would ask guest relations for permission to let me have two reservations until I heard from my agent but I didn't do it as we arw traveling with others and I didn't want to complicate everything.

How have so many ppl double booked if 2 reservations are not allowed??

Here's a question. Many of you said that hopefully more rooms will open up for FD. Is there a reason or time that would happen? For example is it at the 45 day mark when people might cancel? Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Some people might have double reservations that they will cancel, maybe enough people will move from say POR to other resorts to get discount and may by some pixie dust they will decide to add POR.

Lots of possibilities but disney seems to have no rhyme or reason in this.

Here's a question. Many of you said that hopefully more rooms will open up for FD. Is there a reason or time that would happen? For example is it at the 45 day mark when people might cancel? Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I heard a lot of people were double booking and they will be canceling the second reservation. Disney should not allow a double booking!

When he pulled up my name/address I am assuming he saw it. He askedif there was already a reservation? I wasn't going to lie...I did ask if I could put it in my husband's name and he asked if he was on the other reservation too. That's when he offered to check and see if "they" would let me have two. It increased my frustration especially after reading that some people had three reservations but I think some of those people were adjusting dates. Our dates are stuck because of my schedule and traveling with multiple families.

So there are at least 3 of us still looking for that week, I think I saw 2 that were able to get it. Here's hoping some of those double bookings release some in the next couple of days...

Cara, did you get your POR room online? I thought you were still looking. I keep hoping for you!

I heard a lot of people were double booking and they will be canceling the second reservation. Disney should not allow a double booking!

Technically their policy is no double bookings (2 bookings same time frame). But when you book with a TA it doesn't link to your MDE automatically. It has to be done manually. If this happens you can still book online. It's a loophole in the system.

I have heard many people say they were told by CMs no double bookings.

Technically their policy is no double bookings (2 bookings same time frame). But when you book with a TA it doesn't link to your MDE automatically. It has to be done manually. If this happens you can still book online. It's a loophole in the system.

I have heard many people say they were told by CMs no double bookings.

We have a double booking now, because of the one I did online and the one my TA did for us by phone (not linked to MDE). She managed to switch us to WL with FD (as did I) so now I need to cancel the one I made online. Of course I can't do that until next week when the phone line craziness dies down.

It's really frustrating that so many people double booked because they didnt have the patience to wait for their TA. It's especially unfair if your TA did indeed get you FD and you booked with FD for yourself. When you cancel your ressie, Disney doesn't have to add those rooms back to the pool if they have enough bookings. If those here on the Dis are talking about having done it, imagine the "lurkers" that did it too or even those not even on the Dis. I imagine much more did it than have those that have admitted in this thread.

I was on the phone at 7 am for an hour, only to be told my week at my resort had no more rooms for FD. I plan to call back everyday (still can't get through) in hopes that they open rooms once people start canceling. I'm happy for all those who got FD fairly, for sure. Hopefully pixie dust will come my way. I'm going either way, but it would be nice.

So as we awake on this much less crazy morning, how does everyone feel about their vacation at this point?

After this week-long ordeal that seemed to last an eternity, did anyone learn anything valuable that they'll remember for the next time? Something that you should or should not have done?

I've learned to never anticipate, rely, or at this point expect the Disney Visa early booking perk. Last night, while chatting, I was looking down my blog and came upon the free dining posts from 2010. The "leak" date was May 3 and I had posted the DV should be available "on or around May 1" (I like that phrasing better looking back). While the May 3rd date was correct as leaked, the DV actually dropped on April 29...it came early. This was before there was really any kind of rhyme or reason for the DV date in relation to the GP date.

So after looking back at that, I realized that it's twice the DV has become quite unreliable, and now not always even offered at all. Of course, there were no complaints that it came early, as bookings went very smooth and calm as word slowly got out, everyone got what they wanted, and everyone was happy.

What have you learned? :confused3

I think we learned that FD in the Fall is no longer a given that we can rely upon. I did get it and I did get the resort I wanted, but this was way harder than any time I can recall. I hope that Disney learned that the way this was released created too much desperation that crashed their systems numerous times. Those PIN codes created a pent up demand that made yesterday a nightmare for many. The DV release seems to spread the joy and pain out and makes booking less hassle for the consumer, and, I hope, for Disney Travel.

Cara, did you get your POR room online? I thought you were still looking. I keep hoping for you!

I was able to snag only part of our trip 11/17 - 11/22 late last night online. I'm hoping the weekend before opens up for me to add it. My last 2 nights, I'd be willing to do AoA even if that means loosing 2 days of free dining. My TA has the last night on hold already.

Black, to answer your question, I'm feeling a little scared. I'm just not excited about CBR. It's stinking HUGE, the 6 bus stop, double beds.... I'm going to have my TA keep trying and checking back. I don't know what I have learned from this, honestly!

So as we awake on this much less crazy morning, how does everyone feel about their vacation at this point?

After this week-long ordeal that seemed to last an eternity, did anyone learn anything valuable that they'll remember for the next time? Something that you should or should not have done?
<snip>

Well, what I've learned is this: don't count my chickens until they're hatched! I never expected to NOT get free dining at my resort of choice. I figured that the last time people got free dining for September for a long time. Who knew Port Orleans Riverside was so popular? Not I! Not until these boards.

And I learned to be flexible.

So we're actually now paying slightly more than originally anticipated (by about $120) as my TA changed our reservation at POR (river view) to WL (woods view). BUT... my husband is actually pretty excited. When we originally looked at Disney's site in January, he wanted to stay there but it was way over our budget. With the free dining, we were able to swing it.

I'm feeling pretty excited about our trip now (after yesterday's panic attack). We'll be at a deluxe resort. A boat ride away from the Magic Kingdom. That's really cool for my son's first trip to Disney. I'd already stayed at all 3 of the moderates on past trips, so this is a nice change.

Hmm ok...so I guess I could call a cm and see if they have me in their system? My TA was going to "hold" my reservation and then get back to me. She told me then I could put a deposit down to make it official. The hold is only for seven days...but I have no idea if it has been done or not.

Can someone please tell me if you make an online ressie or call, is a deposit required?

In the same boat needing POR for 5. My dates are Nov.15-23, which I know a couple other ppl are needing too. It just blows my mind that they didn't seem to have but a very very few rooms there allocated for FD. I'm really not sure what we will do if we can't get it. All other onsite options are out of our price range. :(

I looked this morning and there are a TON of Villa options....maybe disney is trying to force families of 5+ to book those more expensive rooms???

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Well since this was my first fd experience (and first onsite booking) I had a LOT to learn, lol! I guess the biggest thing I learned is to definitely have many backup plans. I didn't get my first or second resort preference (which I'm still bummed about) but I did get free dining which is allowing us to stay onsite so I feel blessed after all. (But that won't stop me from stalking the Disney reservations site hoping more fd rooms will be added for POR ;) )

Being a almost newbie (haven't been to WDW since the late 80's) I thought when they said free dining (or room discounts) for these dates that it meant for *these* dates. I've learned that this isn't true. I can get either for my week at the Poly (10/20-26) EXCEPT for the end of the week days. Sun/Mon/Tues/Wed is no problem but Thur/Fri is unavailable. I'll keep checking but that seems really odd to me...

Luckily, I feel great! :thumbsup2 Had two rooms at POR (11/1-11/10 & 11/1-11/7) and was able to upgrade both to WL - the six-night with FD (only $213 extra) and the nine-night with 30% off (only $400 extra)

1. Book the vacation that you're prepared to pay for in full. All the talk of WDW weaning us off discounts may not have come true yet, but they do seem to be targeting them in much more specific directions.

2. If you're not going to WDW without a discount, it might be better not to book a 'placeholder' room hoping for a discount. Doing that (a) inflates WDW's occupancy and might limit the discounts they offer, and (b) doesn't get you any closer to the front of the line when it comes to applying the newly released discount. In fact, the folks who could just go online after midnight and book a brand spankin' new reservation right from the start seemed to have a relatively easy time.

3. Aside from making me smile when I pull it out of my wallet and see Buzz & Woody, I wonder if the DV is losing some of its value for me. I can get better rewards with other cards, and one of the biggest benefits of that card in my mind was the ability to get first dibs on most discounts. If I lose that, I could take higher rewards from a different card & still apply that to a WDW vacation (or any other vacation, for that matter).

4. While there are some things on DIS that try my patience, overall this is a pretty cool place :hug: The feeling that a whole bunch of other people were struggling through all this with me definitely helped to bolster my spirits and even made large parts of it enjoyable instead of frustrating. Okay, lots of it was still frustrating...... ;) But the fun made it much easier to handle!

Thanks again to all!

Well, what I've learned is this: don't count my chickens until they're hatched! I never expected to NOT get free dining at my resort of choice. I figured that the last time people got free dining for September for a long time. Who knew Port Orleans Riverside was so popular? Not I! Not until these boards.

And I learned to be flexible.

So we're actually now paying slightly more than originally anticipated (by about $120) as my TA changed our reservation at POR (river view) to WL (woods view). BUT... my husband is actually pretty excited. When we originally looked at Disney's site in January, he wanted to stay there but it was way over our budget. With the free dining, we were able to swing it.

I'm feeling pretty excited about our trip now (after yesterday's panic attack). We'll be at a deluxe resort. A boat ride away from the Magic Kingdom. That's really cool for my son's first trip to Disney. I'd already stayed at all 3 of the moderates on past trips, so this is a nice change.

This is how we got sucked into Deluxe Resorts. Once you go Deluxe, you will never want to go back!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter