Fred and Wilma 'Wonder' Through the Panama Canal - With a Couple of Stowaways

Love catching up on the report, almost as much as our meal in Palo.

It was a great meal - with great company :grouphug:

What a great update, and lovely photos too. Palo looked amazing (as always), and I was impressed that Tony ordered two souffles, we've only had them once and they were just too heavy for us, so did he manage to get through them both ? (lol) :)

I couldn't possibly answer that question Mandy ;)

Chapter 17 - A breakfast with character(s)

Friday May 8th

Today’s navigator:

I woke up really early this morning, about 4.30, having been awake several times throughout the night again. At 5.15 I got up, washed and dressed into my walking clothes and went up to deck 9 to write up my notes. With four sea days ahead, I was hoping to get caught up. It was still dark when I first arrived on deck but the sun soon started to come up and I took the opportunity to take some pictures while it was quiet. It truly was a beautiful morning.

At 7, I went to meet the others. This morning’s walkers were me, Kim, Jayne, Cathy and Wanda. I walked for just shy of an hour, then went up to deck 9 for water. I sat on a lounger next to the adult pool for a while and wrote some more of my journal before heading back to the room to get ready for our character breakfast.

When we arrived in Parrot Cay, the others were already seated and waiting for us. We ordered breakfast – hash browns and cheese omelette for me, plus pancakes, and granola for Gary – surprise, surprise! Although Gary shocked me by ordering croissants too. We both had an orange and cranberry juice mix to drink.

Not long after our orders were taken, the characters started to arrive. Despite somebody having asked us what configuration we wanted our photos taken in, we didn’t get a choice with Minnie. The CM handler decided they didn’t have time to do ‘couples’ pictures so we got one of one side of the table, then one of the other. We managed to persuade the CM to take a group shotand then Minnie was gone.

Next up was Pluto. This time we got our couples pictures plus a group picture, which was much better.

Just before Mickey arrived, so did our breakfast. For some reason, Jim’s was on a kiddy plate. He seemed quite happy about it.

As is traditional, we got funny hats made out of the brightly coloured napkins. With it being his first cruise, I don’t think Terry realised that it’s the law that you HAVE to wear one and he tried politely to decline the headgear. He was soon put straight by the rest of us and joined in the fun.

I love the fact that Kim’s napkin hat is making a shadow bunny on the wall behind.

Our final visitor was Goofy, who happily posed for plenty of pictures.

It was a fun breakfast but, in all honesty, the character interaction was very rushed. I’m not sure whether that was because we didn’t have children with us or just because they had so many people to get round. I can totally understand why they don’t do it on the bigger ships.

Loving the TR so far! Reading the last two chapters kept me awake tonight until I could check-in for our fall cruise. :surfweb::thumbsup2:goodvibes

Chapter 17 - A breakfast with character(s)

It was a fun breakfast but, in all honesty, the character interaction was very rushed. I’m not sure whether that was because we didn’t have children with us or just because they had so many people to get round. I can totally understand why they don’t do it on the bigger ships.

It's a nice touch while on the cruise - I'm glad they still do it on the classic ship 7+ night itineraries - but its not a deal breaker for me. Were you able to go to it on our 2011 7-nt. Magic sailing? If so, did you recall it being just as rushed?

Like the hats!

They were pretty cute - it's very clever how imaginative they are, there were lots of great creations that we could see around the dining room.

It's a nice touch while on the cruise - I'm glad they still do it on the classic ship 7+ night itineraries - but its not a deal breaker for me. Were you able to go to it on our 2011 7-nt. Magic sailing? If so, did you recall it being just as rushed?

We did have the breakfast on our 2011 cruise and I don't remember being as rushed. Of course, we had children with us that time so maybe that was the difference.

Chapter 18 – Secretly look at things through sunglasses

After breakfast I went up to the pool. Gary popped back to the room to get changed and joined me there. Tony and Tee arrived shortly afterwards and then we were joined by Kim. Terry was messaging me to find out if Kim was with us and pretty soon he found us too. We all had a very pleasant time, sitting around the pool chatting. Tee and I had brought our matching bags, which our friend Wendy had made for us before the cruise.

The Drink of the Day was a Cool Breeze, aka a Woo Woo. Kim and I got one each while Tee had a non-alcoholic DOTD. Kim said hers was too strong. I had drunk most of mine so I told her she could pour a little bit into mine and ask Martin to top hers up with cranberry. She poured nearly half of hers in to my glass! It was a really hot day and the drinks went down very nicely.

I’m not quite sure if Gary was actually taking a picture of ME here?!

I wasn’t sure if Tee was aware that Terry was posing behind her.

A little while later, Kim decided she was going to walk down to get a drink. The steps competition was still on so I went with her. Since I was a bit behind, I started spinning around a pole on deck to increase my steps so Kim started marching on the spot. On the way to get soda, we bumped into Christ and Ryan who were just having something to eat before Mixology. I had completely forgotten there was another Mixology class today and I had wanted to go along at the start of each one, to make sure everything was OK. I left Kim and ran back to the room to grab my list and then made my way to Cadillac Lounge. Most people were already there but Pablo told me there were about 7 people missing. A couple of people had decided to take their kids to the Pixar Pals party, which was happening in the lobby at 2 o’clock, instead of coming to Mixology. Pablo said that he would still have to charge the no shows, which I said was fine – everybody had been told in advance that they would be charged if they didn’t show up. Pablo tried to persuade me to stay for the class but I said no. He even told me he had made it so the different classes were tasting and making different drinks, so I wished I could stay. But we already had another Mixology booked for later in the cruise. After telling everybody to enjoy themselves, I left the lounge. As I walked away, I tripped over one of the raised metalwork areas in the doorway and fell forwards, banging my arm on large rough post. It really hurt quite badly. The lady stood nearby, waiting for the lift, was kind enough not to laugh until after she’d made sure I was OK. When I got back to the pool, I showed everybody my war wound and demanded they make a big fuss of me.

A little while later, Kim and I went to sit in the shade for a while. A CM came round with Olaf lollies – strawberry and lemonade flavour – and cold flannels (or wash cloths if you don’t speak the Queen’s English ;) ).

We went back to sit by the pool again and I had another DOTD. Terry came over and told us that Gary was getting a deck massage. I was really annoyed. Having never had a massage before, I had wanted to book the couples massage at the spa but Gary had said he thought it was too expensive so I didn’t book it. So I was fuming that he now thought it was OK for HIM to get a massage. I went over and had a word with him but he was insistent he needed it as he had a really stiff neck. Knowing when not to push it, I went back to my lounger, had another DOTD and caught up with more of my notes.

Sally arrived and sat with us for a little while, then the signal that there would be an announcement sounded and Captain Robert came on the loudspeaker to tell us that we would not be stopping at Puerto Vallarta as originally planned. Nobody could really understand what he was saying and there were lots of confused faces, until Clayton’s voice came on immediately after and clarified that there were troubles and unrest in Puerto Vallarta and DCL believed it would be unsafe for us to stop there. Tony and Tee were really sad as they had a horse riding excursion booked that they were really looking forward to. Kim and Terry were planning to do the dolphin trainer excursion and Terry was very disappointed Gary and I had planned to go to the Malecon (boardwalk area) with Sally and Scott so we were pretty gutted too. Sally left to go to the gym and Jim arrived and sat with us. Julie had previously told us that the reason Jim was able to show restraint at dinner was because he had been eating plenty of ice cream throughout the day – or maybe he was showing restraint so that he COULD eat plenty of ice cream. Either way, we were joking with him about how many ice creams he’d had so far. Tony and Jim went to get sodas and came back with some cream cheese and cinnamon pretzels for us to share. Gary and I both tried them but didn’t really like them.

At about 5.30 we all parted ways. We went back to the room and I decided I was going to do some laundry while Gary dozed – he still had a really bad headache. In between trips to the laundry room to check on the washing, I watched the Toy Story show on the TV. After I showered, I went to put the clothes in the dryer and then came back to dry my hair. On the way back to the room, I saw Ben-Vos (our room host) and asked him if I could have some more of the H2) body lotion, as I’d used all of ours and it hadn’t been replaced. After I dried my hair, I went back to the laundry room to get the clean clothes.

The dress I was wearing was a little bit low cut so I poked my head out of the door and asked Ben-Vos if he had a safety pin for my dress. He looked at the area where I was pointing, looked incredibly shocked and scurried off down the hallway. 30 seconds later he was back with about 6 safety pins – I don’t know what he was trying to tell me!

We finished getting ready and made our way down to Animators Palate. Kim was stood in the hallway chatting to somebody so we sailed straight past her and ended up being the first form our table to arrive – it had become a bit of a competition to not be last to dinner.

Tonight was the Toy Story 3D menu and we all had a pair of cute little 3D glasses waiting at our place at the table.

The service seemed a bit spotty tonight – we had to ask for more bread a couple of times before we got it. I ordered the flatbread for appetiser but it was very disappointing – there was a huge amount of red onion on it so I didn’t even try it and put it in the middle of the table for everybody else to share. Nobody really liked it except Tony though.

Gary got chicken noodle soup and Kim, I believe, had a seafood cocktail of some kind.

For main, Gary got the ribeye (which he said was a bit dry – serves him right for having it well done!) and I got the veal escalope, which was lovely. It came with green beans and Kim asked if she could also have some green beans. Milan brought her a whole bowl of green beans and she very kindly ate mine as well, since I don’t like them.

For dessert, I think Kim and Terry ordered every single dessert on the menu between them. They had an ice-cream sundae, apple tart and the trio of desserts.

Oh, and Terry had his usual as well!

Gary gave Terry his cherry!

I had ordered the cheesecake but it had a coconut crust, which I hadn’t realised. I really don’t like coconut so Milan asked if I would like something else. I asked if there was any chance that I might be able to get some mint choc chip ice cream, as I’d seen it on a menu earlier in the week. Milan went to check but came back and reported that, unfortunately, they didn’t have any – they only had it for the menu that was offered on the first night. I told him it didn’t matter and a couple of minutes later he surprised me with this!

My very own celebration cake! I was so happy.

Meanwhile, Terry was struggling to eat his own celebration cake (something to do with the gazillion other desserts he’d had maybe?) and told Gary he had to share with him. Gary said “It’s your cake, don’t you be splitting it with me” but he was a good friend and helped Terry out anyway.

After dinner we made our way out of the restaurant and stopped to take a group picture in front of the Animator’s Palate sign. Julie and Jim had disappeared so we had to make do without them.

Kim and Terry wanted to get some more pictures taken and, since we didn’t have any plans, we all decided to tag along. On the way through Shutters, we bumped into Daisy Duck, who took a bit of a liking to Tony.

Down in the lobby, we took some pictures ourselves before posing in front of one of the formal backgrounds back upstairs. We had some real giggles taking these pictures.

We headed off to bed around 10.30, where I examined my war wound in the mirror. It was bruising very nicely. Tonight’s towel animal was a crab! We also had a letter from DCL explaining why the Puerto Vallarta stop had been cancelled.

That sunrise was pretty. I agree with you about the character breakfast feeling rushed. We have not bothered with them the last couple of cruises pretty much because of this.

I was glad to finally see Stitch listed in the Navigator. I started to wonder if he would ever make an appearance.

Looks like you had a lovely relaxing day.

I read about the cancelled stop at Puerta Vallarta. What a shame, but I can totally understand why DCL took that decision.

Corinna

trip report has been going great but i was so excited to get to the vallarta day its top of our must go next list

Hi Joh! Getting caught up here. You look like you are having a great time with your chums! Bummer about Puerto Vallarta but I'm pretty sure that was a wise decision given the alternative.

I'm back and all caught up!
The journey though the locks looks amazing - what a cool thing to do!
I love the dress from the Palo night by the way (hehe for leaving the tag on!)

That sunrise was pretty. I agree with you about the character breakfast feeling rushed. We have not bothered with them the last couple of cruises pretty much because of this.

I was glad to finally see Stitch listed in the Navigator. I started to wonder if he would ever make an appearance.

Looks like you had a lovely relaxing day.

I read about the cancelled stop at Puerta Vallarta. What a shame, but I can totally understand why DCL took that decision.

Corinna

The character breakfast was fun but did feel rushed. We would probably go again but just lower our expectations. We did not see much of Stitch at all this cruise.

It was a shame that we didn't stop at Puerto Vallarta, but we did appreciate that DCL were trying to keep us safe. From conversations we heard around the ship, it appeared that some felt we should have still gone there or that they should have added another stop but not sure quite how easy that would have been

More great updates Joh, fab report! I hope one day to get back on a Disney Cruise.

Thanks Sue, I hope you make it back one day :goodvibes

trip report has been going great but i was so excited to get to the vallarta day its top of our must go next list

I was looking forward to Puerto Vallarta, I hope we make it there in 2017.

Hi Joh! Getting caught up here. You look like you are having a great time with your chums! Bummer about Puerto Vallarta but I'm pretty sure that was a wise decision given the alternative.

Hi Brenda, thanks for reading along. Yes, DCL made the right decision. It was all about the safety of the passengers, you can't really argue with that.

I'm back and all caught up!
The journey though the locks looks amazing - what a cool thing to do!
I love the dress from the Palo night by the way (hehe for leaving the tag on!)

Hey Linda, I loved that dress and was really disappointed I didn't get to wear it on the first formal night (because it looked so silly with my sunburn). It will make another appearance later in the cruise.

The locks were great, I just feel like we could have seen more. We will rectify that next time.

Chapter 19 – Get sad that holiday is half over

Saturday May 9th

Today's navigator:

Today was officially the halfway point of our holiday.

I woke up at 1.40 and 5.40, then actually managed to sleep until 7.20. Oops, I guess I missed this morning’s walking session then. This morning we were meeting fellow cruisers Gail, Jan, the two Daves, Jim and Julie for breakfast at Triton’s. We met outside at 8.30 and were led to a long table on the far left of the dining room.

Our server was Alexandra. We were all passing our cameras to her for her to take group pictures and the servers started taking selfies. Dave L passed his camera to another server and said “take another picture of her (Alexandra), she’s cute”. We placed our orders. Gary had his usual and I ordered a cheese omelette, hash brown and bacon.

We left breakfast and as we were walking through the lobby, there was a princess meet & greet, with absolutely nobody waiting to meet the princesses. I couldn’t resist the opportunity to have a few pictures.

First up was Cindy – she asked if I was from a Kingdom far away.

Rapunzel was really funny, she told me I needed to carry a frying pan with me in order to keep my man in line.

Tiana was a little odd, to be honest. I have always felt a little uncomfortable with the face characters, as I find it really hard to know what to say to them. Tiana and I just kind of stood in awkward silence. And I’m pretty sure I touched her bum when we were having our picture taken.

We popped back to the room to get changed and then made our way up to the pool area, where we met up with Kim and Terry, Kathleen and Ron, Vicky and Jeff and Mia. Shortly afterward, Julie arrived followed by Jim – with an ice cream! They were passing through on their way to get some lunch – or on the way back from lunch.

Gary and Terry were being a little anti-social today – I think Terry had got a little too much sun the previous day and wanted to stay in the shade.

Gary and Terry went to the bar to get a drink. I went over to ask Gary to get me one and asked what he was drinking. He said it was the Drink of the Day so I tried it and it was nice – I was quite surprised that I liked it as today’s DOTD had tequila in it so I didn’t think I would. But it tasted really familiar. Gary then admitted it wasn’t the DOTD at all – it was strawberry and lime Rekkorderlig. At $9 a bottle it was pretty hefty but we both really like it so Gary had decided to have one. Kathleen came up and tried it and she liked it too so got one for her and Ron.

Kim and I were sat chatting and Martin arrived singing “Me and Mrs Joan” (for some reason, he thought my name was Joan so sang this to me every day). I told him he must have known I was thirsty as his timing was perfect. I ordered a Raspberry Daiquiri. Kim didn’t want anything as she was saving herself for Mixology later. As I continued to catch up with y journal, I turned the page and found Gary had written in my book – a definite no no! He had written “I’m not allowed to write in this book Ha! Ha! LOL”. I marched over to the bar to tell him off while the others were laughing at me. I believe Kathleen even dared to take a picture of my wrath ;)

Kim decided to go and get an ice cream and brought me back some chicken fingers and fries. I told her she was being a feeder again – but I still ate them.

We spent some time chatting to Mari, Cindy and Julie. Just before two I went down to check on today’s Mixology class and was very careful to watch my step as I left the Cadillac Lounge after yesterday’s mishap. When I came back up, Jim was just going for his second ice cream (yes, I was keeping count). Kim also went for another ice cream – choc and vanilla swirl again. A lady near us got up from her lounger and was showing rather a lot. I said to Kim “please tell me I am not popping out of my suit like that”. She said “no, your ladies are locked and loaded”. It really made me laugh.

At 3 0’clock we all separated to get ready for our Mixology class. I was ready early so I went to deliver some of my pixie dust gifts that I had brought for some of the kids (and adults) in our group.

We arrived at the Cadillac Lounge just on time and were shortly joined by Kim and Terry and Vick and Jeff. Kathleen and Ron had been doing the Mixology earlier in the day, and had gone back to change into their pirate gear before joining us too. They were very brave doing two Mixology classes in a row. They looked really good in their costumes.

Pablo started the class in the usual way, by explaining about Mixology and some of the terms and equipment used. Since this was a Mixology class organised by DCL, not one of our private groups, there were other people who weren’t from our group, which felt a bit weird since we were so used to being around people we knew. Pablo started by explaining that there was a young (?!?) lady in the group who had organised private Mixology classes and said that he wanted to get me up to make the first drink. It was a Cosmopolitan made with gin. I told him off because he knew I hate gin but he promised me this drink would make me a gin drinker!

Wow, this tasted really good. I guess Pablo did make me a gin drinker!

The next drink was a martini made with tequila and jalapeno. It was sooooo spicy. Gary yammed his! Kim and I took one sip and were like “we are not drinking that!”

After that we had a ‘Fun’ on the beach (yes, apparently Disney calls it that as a family-friendly alternative to what it is normally known as).

Then we made a Yellow Bird and, finally, we had a layered shot called a Bubblegum.

After the class was over, a few of us hung around and chatted for a bit and as we made our way outside we bumped into a CM called Nicolette. She asked about the bruise on my arm and so Terry was telling her about my fall the day before. For the benefit of the audience, I re-enacted it.

And Nicolette said “You went from here….to here!!!!”

The liquor store (which I can never remember the name of) was open now so the guys decided to go and have a look while the girls made their way up to Deck 9. I quickly popped back to the room to put on my pirate night t-shirt, where I found that we had been left a couple of gifts. A little pirate loot bag from Leslie and her Mum, ad a wonderful gift of embroidered towels from Gail and David. They were awesome.

Great update Joh!
I feel like I got a sneak peak of this chapter over lunch!
Gary was a brave man writing in your journal - would have loved to see a photo of your "wrath"
Feel free to knock out another chapter tonight as I've not found a band to grab my attention on the Glasto coverage yet ;)

Great update Joh!
I feel like I got a sneak peak of this chapter over lunch!
Gary was a brave man writing in your journal - would have loved to see a photo of your "wrath"
Feel free to knock out another chapter tonight as I've not found a band to grab my attention on the Glasto coverage yet ;)

That photo does exist, I'll have to ask Kathleen to post it lol. Your wish is my command, chapter 20 coming right up.

Chapter 20 – Burgers, beer and Beach Blanket

Up on Deck 9, I found Kim and we waited for Vicky, Julie and Theresa. Vicky turned up with her boys, who were going to have some pizza and chicken fingers before heading off to the clubs.

Julie and Tee arrived shortly after and, once the boys had gone off to the clubs, we headed into Beach Blanket Buffet to get a table. The guys were having burgers and beers on deck and we planned to meet up with them later. It was actually really nice to have dinner with the girls, we had a great time.

Tonight they were serving the Pirate Night menu but also had the usual ribeye steak on offer. Kim said she quite fancied trying two of the appetisers so, since I didn’t want one, I said I would order one and she could order the other. I know she could have got both and they wouldn’t have batted an eye but I think she felt less guilty this way. So Kim told me that I was having the potstickers and that is what I ordered for appetiser. For main, I went for my favourite ribeye steak. It just was so good here. As always, the food was really good. My steak was HUGE!

Towards the end of the meal, Kim looked up and said “Is that Gary and Terry”. Sure enough, they were walking out of the restaurant with cloche covered plates. After dinner, we walked out on Deck and spotted the guys up on Deck 10.

Terry shouted down to me “Jo, tonight I got not one, not two, but three celebration desserts”. It turned out Gary had dared him to go to Beach Blanket Buffet and ask for one – and they gave him three!!! The guys had all shared them.

We all stood chatting while we waited for the party to start. Jim was a little merry and was hugging everybody, he was very funny. Terry was telling us how he had seen a hidden Mickey when he went to the bathroom so there was a lot of laughter over that one. We tried to persuade Julie and Jim to give us a demonstration of what they had learned at their dance classes. Jan and Rich passed by and asked us if everything was OK as they thought they had seen a doctor coming out of our room. We assured them everything was fine. Martin came and found us so Vicky and I had to have a drink – it would have been rude not to after he climbed the stairs and everything ;) Meanwhile, Kim went and got an ice cream – and demonstrated for me her ice cream count for the day.

She wouldn’t share though!

The party got underway and we were all having a great time; this was one of my favourite evenings of the cruise.

After the party had finished, most people disappeared but we stayed for a little while, just dancing and chatting. Julie and Jim headed off to bed, Tony and Theresa went to get a drink and Vicky and Jif took their tired boys off to bed too. Nicolette came by and asked how we’d enjoyed the party and the fireworks, and recommended we go and check out the buffet.

Even though I really wasn’t hungry, I picked up a couple of desserts and we took them outside to eat. We found Tony and Tee with Andrea and Joe so we pulled over some chairs and joined them.

I had barely started eating when a eave of nausea hit me. Quickly said goodnight and rushed back to the room. Once I laid down in bed I was fine so I guess it must have been a combination of the heat and too much to eat. Gary came back to the room shortly after, with some water. We were dead tired so went straight to sleep.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter