For those folks driving!

Where we live in Ireland ... It is Cash inside Or Chip & Pin card Inside Store & Pre Pay is also available .

There are NO Gas Stations where you pay at pumps.

There are Gas stations in Europe Where you can pay by swipe card at Pump .. But you Must have Their Loyalty Card.

NO Mastercard Or Visa will work .

At Gas Stations ..... a term not used in europe .

You Fill up or Pre Pay & walk inside Pay cash Or Insert " Card your Chip & Pin Card " & then your pin code Numbers.

Your Card is never out of your sight .

Same thing in Shops etc. & Hotels.

Signing " Slips " is a thing of the past.

Always inform your Bank that you are travelling Out of your State or Country & for " What length of Time " you will be away

from home.

...They met us at the SC hotel in the morning and we had to wait until the bank opened at 10 AM to call. The bank explained that the charges in VA looked out of the norm, so they declined the purchases thinking they were fraudulent. She had to explain to them that we were traveling, where we were traveling, and they made a note for her future purchases. My DH and I then called our bank about our cards and they made a note of when and where we were traveling, and for how long so we didn't have the same situation. The bank told us that it was a good idea for any future trips so they know that we are actually using the cards and they aren't stolen. I'll be calling them before our next trip in May.

I have done this for all my trips in the past after checking my home voice mail in 2007 and finding that they left a message on the home phone to let me know they suspected fraud on the card -- Disney hotel room charges-- and had put a hold on it. So there I was in Florida and by the Grace of God decided to check my voice mail at home using my cell phone. (We were on a Grand Gathering of 18 and almost anyone that would've called me was with us!) Needless to say I've been calling ahead since then, but since 2014 they have told me each time that I do not need to do that any more. I don't know why, and I will still call before our June trip. They told me their system knows my patterns. Well, I am pretty consistent about the items we charge and the route we drive, etc.

And I second swiping my card at the pump here in the US and entering my ZIP Code which is how they all seem to verify you are the card owner. There are locations I would NEVER set foot further than car-side!

You know that a Front desk CM at SSR was caught skimming credit cards a couple of years ago?

It can happen anywhere, the banks here in the US are very good about working with you in case of fraudulent activity. It is always best to call them to let them know you are traveling. The phone number on the back of your card is there for your use.

I have done this for all my trips in the past after checking my home voice mail in 2007 and finding that they left a message on the home phone to let me know they suspected fraud on the card -- Disney hotel room charges-- and had put a hold on it. So there I was in Florida and by the Grace of God decided to check my voice mail at home using my cell phone. (We were on a Grand Gathering of 18 and almost anyone that would've called me was with us!) Needless to say I've been calling ahead since then, but since 2014 they have told me each time that I do not need to do that any more. I don't know why, and I will still call before our June trip. They told me their system knows my patterns. Well, I am pretty consistent about the items we charge and the route we drive, etc.

And I second swiping my card at the pump here in the US and entering my ZIP Code which is how they all seem to verify you are the card owner. There are locations I would NEVER set foot further than car-side!

We had a similar thing happen a few years ago at the start of a Disney trip. We were leaving on a Saturday morning (we drive), My husband had made a business purchase over the phone with a company on the west coast (we live on the east coast) on Thursday afternoon. For whatever reason, that showed up as an "in person" transaction. On Friday, we purchased over $3,000 of computer equipment for our church -- and had it shipped there rather than to our home. Saturday morning we left for Disney -- stopped for coffee at a local convenience store and then were on our way. Next stop was several hours later, 4 states away for gas, followed by lunch. About an hour later, my son called me (he was house sitting for us) telling me that when he got home from work that afternoon there were several messages from Chase telling us they had frozen our credit card due to suspected fraudulent activity. That's when I realized I had never contacted them to let them know we we'd be traveling. I called them and confirmed that we had indeed made all the purchases they were concerned about and she put a note on our card that we were traveling and what states we were going to be in. Now I make sure to go online and do that before we travel anywhere outside of the tri-state area. It only takes a few seconds to do it and can certainly save some headaches. The other problem was that we had never updated our file with our cell-phone number. So if my son hadn't been staying at the house and checking the answering machine (I probably wouldn't have checked the answering machine for a few days as our family and friends knew we were traveling and knew to call our cell phones if there was an emergency), we probably would have found out about the hold on our card when we went to check in to the hotel that night.

The last two years we have driven to Disney for the kids Spring Break from School in April. Next year their Spring Break falls the week of Easter which it hasn't previously. I'm considering pulling them out of school for the Thurs/Fri leading up to Easter week and leaving to come home and be back by Saturday evening so we can do Easter day at home. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with traffic on the Fri/Saturday before Easter. If I have to sit in a bunch of traffic it might not be worth it, maybe we would have to look at flying. We live in Connecticut.

Last edited:
The last two years we have driven to Disney for the kids Spring Break from School in April. Next year their Spring Break falls the week of Easter which it hasn't previously. I'm considering pulling them out of school for the Thurs/Fri leading up to Easter week and leaving to come home and be back by Saturday evening so we can do Easter day at home. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with traffic on the Fri/Saturday before Easter. If I have to sit in a bunch of traffic it might not be worth it, maybe we would have to look at flying. We live in Connecticut.
We have done that twice going down or back just before Easter, Cheryl. We are always working around school vacations or Holidays as well. We have never had more traffic than usual, but we do not take Rte 95. We live in RI and head out on 84 through Danbury to catch 81S in Wilkes Barre to 77S in Southern VA to 26S near Charleston, SC to 95 in SC. It is about 100 miles further this way, but with the exception of a rare accident, or hitting rush hour merges, we have never been in holiday traffic. I don't like the thought of all the traffic, tolls and lack of breakdown lanes in so much of 95 up this end. We don't ever leave in the middle of the night, others have good luck I guess with that and 95, but it isn't for us. We just try to be into NY State by 6:30 a.m. or so on weekdays. We've only flown in once, but we really enjoy the drive as well as having our Suburban there. Still, you can't beat the speed of flying. Have fun whichever you choose to do!

We have done that twice going down or back just before Easter, Cheryl. We are always working around school vacations or Holidays as well. We have never had more traffic than usual, but we do not take Rte 95. We live in RI and head out on 84 through Danbury to catch 81S in Wilkes Barre to 77S in Southern VA to 26S near Charleston, SC to 95 in SC. It is about 100 miles further this way, but with the exception of a rare accident, or hitting rush hour merges, we have never been in holiday traffic. I don't like the thought of all the traffic, tolls and lack of breakdown lanes in so much of 95 up this end. We don't ever leave in the middle of the night, others have good luck I guess with that and 95, but it isn't for us. We just try to be into NY State by 6:30 a.m. or so on weekdays. We've only flown in once, but we really enjoy the drive as well as having our Suburban there. Still, you can't beat the speed of flying. Have fun whichever you choose to do!

Thanks! Being south of New Haven in CT we do usually take 95, we could certainly consider that alternate route for our return, something to think about. Hate flying especially during spring week because its so expensive.

Thanks! Being south of New Haven in CT we do usually take 95, we could certainly consider that alternate route for our return, something to think about. Hate flying especially during spring week because its so expensive.
We used to head down 95 to New Haven and go up Rte 34 to catch 84. It was recommended by my mid-western BIL to avoid NYC, etc., it was tedious though. Now we take Rte 9 up towards Middletown to catch 91 and head S then W. (I have no idea why I trusted a mid-westerner to tell me how to get around home??) I can honestly say we would never choose 95 after going the Rte 81-77-26 route. If you do happen to try it, let me know your thoughts afterwards. I have friends who've finally tried it and been thrilled with it. Others just feel that the straight through nature of 95 is best for them.

We are heading out the 23rd from central Louisiana to WDW. Planning on staying overnight in Mobile AL to check out the battleship before getting to Pop Century the 24th. Any suggestions on an easy route? This will be our first time driving in a "big city"

From Mobile take Hwy 10 to Lake City ( Florida ) = 350 miles +

Then From Lake City take Hwy 75 to Ocala

From Ocala take Hwy 27 To Clermont

From Clermont STAY on Hwy 27 South for 20 miles till you SEE the Signs for Disney.

( You can Stay on Hwy 27 for another 10 miles till you TURN LEFT onto Hwy I - 4 and follow Disney Signs )

It is a Long Drive so I would think about another night stay near Ocala .

That way you would have had a busy day in Mobile followed by along drive . BUT with an overnight sleep near Ocala,

you would be fresh to start thinking of Disney .

If you get into NY state by 6:30am- how many hours do you drive and how far do you get?

If you get into NY state by 6:30am- how many hours do you drive and how far do you get?
We usually go to Mooresville, NC. That's our stopping place. It is about 13 hours from our home, depending on traffic and potty breaks ;) But it's always about 830 miles. Then day 2 is easier.

I'm stopping in Mooresville for the first time. Anyplace to eat you can suggest?

I'm stopping in Mooresville for the first time. Anyplace to eat you can suggest?

We happen to love Lancaster's BBQ on Rhineland Rd. It's a NASCAR themed place with great NC style BBQ. We may try Duckworth's as well next trip, we've seen great reviews.

Driving next Friday from Ambler PA (just outside of Philly). This is our third trip and we've driven both ways without stops on each of our previous trips. We may stop this time...do you think it's worth it to stop in Jacksonville and then head to WDW the next morning or should we plow on and stay somewhere in Orlando/LBV?

It's great reading about everyone's adventures in driving. We love to drive to WDW...it has become a part of the excitement of our trip.

Are you saying a different place from where you will actually spend your vacation? If so, I certainly wouldn't stay near Orlando. Jax or some small town along the Interstate would be much cheaper. Pack an overnight bag with a change of clothes for everyone so you don't have to take all your luggage out of your car and then schlep it back.
I have a special bag that holds just my toiletries and medicine. That bag gets grabbed whenever and wherever we stay.

Driving next Friday from Ambler PA (just outside of Philly). This is our third trip and we've driven both ways without stops on each of our previous trips. We may stop this time...do you think it's worth it to stop in Jacksonville and then head to WDW the next morning or should we plow on and stay somewhere in Orlando/LBV?

It's great reading about everyone's adventures in driving. We love to drive to WDW...it has become a part of the excitement of our trip.

We drive from the same general area of PA. We usually split the drive over 2 days stopping in the Savannah, GA area for the night. That gives us a 4 hour drive in the morning and we're at Disney by noon. Some times we split the drive over 3 days starting early in the afternoon and driving to just south of Washington DC and then driving to south of Jacksonville (usually the St. Augustine area) so we have less than a 2 hour drive in the morning.

I'm leaving later this week and am nervous to be doing the drive alone. It's a long one as I am going about 3 hours south of Orlando from nj then back to Orlando. Then back to nj. Fingers crossed for a smooth drive. I am going the 81/77/26 route

I'm leaving later this week and am nervous to be doing the drive alone. It's a long one as I am going about 3 hours south of Orlando from nj then back to Orlando. Then back to nj. Fingers crossed for a smooth drive. I am going the 81/77/26 route
Java, How did your trip go?

Here is my update.
I left eastern nj at noon last Thursday.
Drove 78/81 to 77
Stopped in the Lake Norma area of NC right around 8:30

Got on the road EArLY! (We had dinner reservations at Morimoto to get to) in car at 4 Am
Drove straight down no problem ended up in Fort Myers around 3.
Spent a solid 3.5 hours packing up my daughter. I hate the way her school does move out!
Back in the car for the 2.5 hour drive to Disney! Yikes cutting it close. No time for showers or primping. We pulled into Disney Springs at 9:52 ran to the restaurant just in time for our 10pm reservation.

After 2 whirlwind days at Disney. We spent the morning shopping at Disney Springs. Got on the road around 12:30.
No problems driving to Savanah for dinner. Made it in 4 hours
Then disaster.
Weather got very ugly very quickly.
As we approached I 95 the GPS started saying for a quicker route turn around. Then we saw the dead stop on 95.

We backed up the ramp and drove the back roads through SC. Scary dark and the only car on the road. Finally after 2 hours we made it back to 77. Still horrible weather finally got to Elkin NC at midnight.

Next morning drove home with no traffic at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter