For those folks driving!

We've driven twice and both times we went through Chattanooga. Both times we spent a night IN Chattanooga since that's our halfway point from Central Illinois. Even with construction, I've not had a problem. We drive around Atlanta and the traffic is usually heavy, I can't imagine not taking the bypass.
I live in Atlanta and the traffic here is always insane (and people here drive like total you-know-whats), but the worst traffic is between 4 PM and 6 PM on I-85 and 285 (the bypass). If you drive to 75 through Atlanta -- which is pretty much the way to go to Orlando from this area -- avoid those hours if possible.

For folks who may be driving I-95 to or from FL. our local news is reporting that the interstate area around low country SC is closed. I would assume n alternate route further into the westward side of SC would be a better alternative.

Thanks. We are scheduled to take the Autotrain down to FL next Saturday. I just called them and they are still not running. She said to call back on Friday to check. I don't want to wait till Friday to see if we need to drive or not. I'll keep checking these boards for road updates.
Linda

Thanks. We are scheduled to take the Autotrain down to FL next Saturday. I just called them and they are still not running. She said to call back on Friday to check. I don't want to wait till Friday to see if we need to drive or not. I'll keep checking these boards for road updates.
Linda

You can also check for updates on I-95 here.

As a NJ resident we always go I95 and I am not familiar with some of the routes listed as alternative. Where does 77 to 26 to 95 bring you in?
So sorry for the NC and SC folks who are having to go through this. The memory of Sandy is still strong here.

Spoke to the people at the Autotrain. They did go yesterday, but they said it is a day by day basis.

Good luck to all those traveling - and especially all those living down there.

As a NJ resident we always go I95 and I am not familiar with some of the routes listed as alternative. Where does 77 to 26 to 95 bring you in?
So sorry for the NC and SC folks who are having to go through this. The memory of Sandy is still strong here.

We normally shoot down 95 as well but we may try the 81-77 route this year despite people telling us it adds up to 2 hours. It looks like 26 brings us in south of Santee, SC. 95 is open again, but since we're leaving on a Friday night after work, we'll need to stop around midnight. Everything's booked along the 95 corridor in my target zone so we may keep the inland route plan.

We normally shoot down 95 as well but we may try the 81-77 route this year despite people telling us it adds up to 2 hours. It looks like 26 brings us in south of Santee, SC. 95 is open again, but since we're leaving on a Friday night after work, we'll need to stop around midnight. Everything's booked along the 95 corridor in my target zone so we may keep the inland route plan.
Two hours doesn't seem too bad when you consider what the lane closures could be. We usually stop in Santee when we take the 95 route. Have to get a map out. Thanks for the info.

Hi everyone-
We're driving down in 13 days from south Charlotte, doing a Saturday to Saturday trip. I'm wondering if the mentions of Jacksonville and Orlando traffic applies on the weekend? Do you think we should try alternate routes or go straight through on a Saturday? Thanks!

Driving down from Boston, leaving on Thursday morning, December 22, around 11:00am. Google maps has the drive around 21 hours non-stop. We have 3 drivers, and only plan to stop for gas and food, and quick stretching. Hoping to be at the resort around Noon - 1:00pm on Friday, which gives us about 4-5 hours to deal with stops and unexpected traffic. Any thoughts? Thanks!

You may have traffic issues in CT, NY and NJ, will most likely be OK the rest of the trip with the exception of Jacksonville but you should be there late enough in the morning to be OK. I'll note if you are using 95 thru Jax, after the I10/I95 interchange, stay to the right as there is a new traffic pattern at the next curve that is very easy to end up on the off ramp (don't ask me how I know when I did this 3 weeks ago). The construction in Daytona for I4 is a mess but somewhat easily navigated thru, then you have construction from Daytona to Deland on I4 and of course the construction from Maitland Blvd to Sand Lake Rd.

Stay 9 over the speed limit or less and you will not be bothered by the local/state police. Should be able to easily do the trip in 21 hours. My worst time all time from Carver to Sanford was 24 hours and that included a breakdown in NY where I had to fix the trailer, an hour stoppage in Maryland for night paving and an hour stoppage in Richmond for an accident that shut down the SB side of I95.

Well I always said we would never drive, but I convinced DH it's for the best next year. We are split staying between Uni and WDW and going during Thanksgiving. It's a 10 day trip and I just really want our car. We'll be driving from Baton Rouge, LA to Talahassee for the night, then hitting Universal in the morning. Excited and a bit nervous, but we have a relatively new car. DD did ok on a 10 hour trip at age 4, so we hope at age 7 she's even better :)

Glad I found this thread!

Leaving Thursday from MA. The Jeep is getting an oil change today, and roof racks and cargo carrier are being installed. Starting to watch the weather and traffic conditions. It's getting real!

Dh and a friend are driving down NEw Years Day, leaving central Mass around 4am. Booked a room for that night in Wilson NC, just south of Rocky Mt.
Dh was planning on taking 95 all the way...figured not much traffic in NYC and DC on New Years Day.
But his friend had suggested the eastern rt..81-77. Since the room is booked and paid for, I can't see a reason to avoid 95...am I missing something?

What are some good, safe places to stop for the night between Tallahassee and Disney World?
Are there any places we should avoid?

Driving for the first time, just my husband and I. Thinking of staying at WDW after a 4night cruise. Driving from Houston, TX. Should we stay somewhere near the port or north florida, like Tampa then leave car at port. Or, is there a hotel near by to leave the car? Any suggestions?

We are 2 adults and 2 boys driving from Chicago. We are leaving Thursday 8/10 around 5:30pm we will venture through Indianpolis, Louisville, KY, Nashville, Chattanooga, Atlanta etc. We are planning on driving straight through with the exception of gas and potty breaks. I'm planning on driving the 1st part as I have horrible motion sickness and cannot truely sleep in a moving vehicle. Hopefully I can get us 9-10 hours down the road; then hubby will drive the last leg and I can doze or play games with our grandsons. GPS says 17 hours without stops so I'm guessing about 20 hours one way

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter