For the First Time Cruisers -Ask your questions here

Thanks for this thread. I will have questions about the excursions later on, but I'll come back with them later.

How long does it take to get on and off the ship? My ds is autistic and doesn't handle waiting too long. Also could we get a table by ourselves for dining? It's easier on him and others if we are by ourselves.

Hi everyone -

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but I couldn't find it. :) I am considering going on the Podcast Cruise Part II next year; it sounds like you had lots of fun activities, but was your time really scheduled or did you have down time to spend with family and friends? I would like to go but I wouldn't be as interested if each hour of the day was scheduled. I'm all for the cool events and fun times with everyone, but I would like some downtime too.

Thanks in advance!!

The time was managed quite well. Day one we were at Nassau and people had plenty of time to do the excursions, shopping, wandering around that newcomers to Nassau insist on doing. There were only a couple od DIS Scheduled things, so lots of flexibility. The on Castaway Cay Day, the was an afternoon party at one of the bar areas with characters there only for us. The rest of the day was wide open. On the Sea Day, we had the seminars, the Podcast, the evening party, as well as a few other get togethers. This day had more than the others, but then we weren't leaving the ship. Honestly, you'll have plenty of time for whatever you want to do. The wife and I even napped during the day a cople of times and we NEVER do that on a cruise or vacation.

How long does it take to get on and off the ship? My ds is autistic and doesn't handle waiting too long. Also could we get a table by ourselves for dining? It's easier on him and others if we are by ourselves.

Time on and off the ship is minimal. Literally a couple of minutes, and no hassle. We waited longer standing on the stairs waiting for the to clear the ship for unloading than we did actually getting off the ship. So wait till you hear that unloading has started and then you'll literally walk right off as long as you have your keys and ID ready.

The table thing I'm not sure of. I think it's reasonable to assume that DCL will do ANYTHING to accomodate your special needs, though.

Hi everyone -

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but I couldn't find it. :) I am considering going on the Podcast Cruise Part II next year; it sounds like you had lots of fun activities, but was your time really scheduled or did you have down time to spend with family and friends? I would like to go but I wouldn't be as interested if each hour of the day was scheduled. I'm all for the cool events and fun times with everyone, but I would like some downtime too.

Thanks in advance!!

They (Pod Squad) control every minute of your cruise, just like they do most of our minds LOL...

Kidding, the events whether hosted by DCL or the PodSquad are always come as you wish events, some will require advanced reservations but you are on vacation, you do what you want to do :)

Tissa - Getting on the ship is basically a wait if you make it a wait.. The Port opens at about 10:30 but you can't get on the ship until 12:30 - 1:00 pm so I would suggest just making arrangements to arrive after 12:30 then it's just like checking into the airport for a flight except once checked in you can get right on the ship and go to lunch. Getting off it a breeze, we went from inside the ship to our car in about 15 minutes, that includes customs and getting our luggage.

You can let DCL know of you DS autism and the need to sit alone and they will work with you to make that happen.

Thanks for the responses, everyone! I appreciate it. Seriously considering this cruise....

Hi everyone -

Thanks in advance!!

I thought, by looking at my spreadsheet, that I had every minute of every day planned to a T. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that was not the case. I had plenty of time to roam around the ship or sit on deck and watch the water go by. I think a good thing to remember is that everything is voluntary. And unless you specifically make a reservation for it (spa, shore excursion, palo) stuff is free of charge. So you can come and go as you please. I didn't see any of the stage shows or meet any of the characters on the first cruise. Would I have liked to? Yes. But I made the choice not to and do things with other DISers and friends. I will see the shows next time. I couldn't say that about the people I was with.

There was a brief line to get through security (think like a checkpoint at an airport), followed by an even shorter line to turn in the cruise documents. The longest line was to get our photo taken for the Key Card, and that line was all of four minutes.

Total waiting in line time was under ten minutes. Then we roamed around the terminal, talked with other DISers, checked out the architecture. There were tables and places to sit and I believe Disney movies were playing.

As for dinner, I know a family that requested a table for four for themselves (there were four of them).

Thanks, that makes me feel better about booking a cruise. With special needs kids I tend to worry over everything but in the end we can't live our lives sitting at home.

Hey Everybody!

Renysmom ~ awesome idea for a thread! Thanks for starting it. :thumbsup2

My question is more of a 'can I really do this?' shout out to the moms and dads out there (especially the single parents). Please share your experiences, both with and without your kiddos. I'm pretty adventerous when it comes to doing things with my kids by myself, but cruising seems like a huge mountain to tackle.

So, can I really do this?

What time are the evening shows?

Do diners at the early meal time feel rushed to get to the show?

I'd like input on this one also. We're looking at Category 5, 6 or 7. Opinions about which one would be appreciated. I am leaning towards 6.
Thanks,
Steve

No one has any opinions or suggestions? Any particular rooms to ask for?

Thanks,
Steve

Think of it this way... You and your wonderful DW will have been tripleting for 18 months when the cruise starts, you will be ready for a grown-up vacation and the boys will be old enough that you should be feeling comfortable leaving them at home for a few days (with a sitter of course hehehe).. I think this would be a perfect break for you both, its not to long to be apart but long enough....

Yes I am an enabler :)

Unfortunately I highly doubt anyone we know would want to take 20 month old triplets for 1 night let alone more.. plus we would want the boys with us so we could tack on a short WDW stay to get some adorable pictures with the characters. Guess Disneyland will have to do!

No one has any opinions or suggestions? Any particular rooms to ask for?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

Here is a list of links that might help you.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2179446

Category 5 and 6 are exactly the same except for location. Category 5 staterooms are on a higher deck and more expensive because of that.

One of the links listed above shows the full deck plans of the Wonder (and Magic) allowing you to see where all staterooms are located..

Not knowing how many are in your party....you need to keep in mind that category 7 staterooms only accommodate 3 people.

Look the deck plans over and pick a location that looks good to you.

I am certain that in the next 19 months, you will find someone that loves and hates that particular stateroom.

Personally....I like the aft of the ship. The drink station is in the aft. The buffet is in the aft. The food stations are in the aft. The elevators are less busy than midship. Those are the things I like.

You feel more motion in the aft. You can often hear the engines in the aft. The kids pool is in the aft. The adult pool and the cove cafe are in the fore of the ship. These are the things I am not so crazy about regarding the aft of thge ship.

You will find folks that can do exactly what I just did for any part of the ship.

A lot of folks like midship because it is centrally located. Being centrally located means that the elevators are more crowded than fore or aft.

I realize that this is aton of info that isnt really helpful....but my point is that you should take a look at the deck plans and see what appeals to you and your party.

Hope this info helps.....:)

Unfortunately I highly doubt anyone we know would want to take 20 month old triplets for 1 night let alone more.. plus we would want the boys with us so we could tack on a short WDW stay to get some adorable pictures with the characters. Guess Disneyland will have to do!

Let us know when you come to Disneyland! My girls will :hug:fawn all over :hug:your boys! :rolleyes1 :woohoo:

does anybody know what the weather is typically like in December on the ship? I know in Orlando it can be hit or miss that time of year.

Please could anybody explain the Fish Extender Phenomenom??:goodvibes

To quote Regina...
This actually was started on the first repositioning cruise that went through the Panama Canal.

We all planned on sharing little gifts, and one of them was this great three pocket Mickey hanging holder given out by a very nice DISer. Since we all hung them from our "fish" they became known as "fish extenders".

There's no set rule as to when you drop off your surprise. It was always fun to check it each time we opened our door.

does anybody know what the weather is typically like in December on the ship? I know in Orlando it can be hit or miss that time of year.

I haven't personally been there in December, but it seems to stay consistently mild most of the time.....ignoring the occasional hurricane stirring the carribbean up. My advice, do what my wife does, bookmark the weather for Nassau, on your phone, PDA, PC or whatever technological doodad you prefer. I love to ask my wife what the weather is at Castaway Cay at random times just to bring me a little closer to there in my imagination.

I can say in Feb in Orlando, we were starting the days in the 50's and getting to the low 70's. And on the 4 days, the ship really doesnt travel as much south as it does East, so that should give you a little idea.

I also just looked at your location. Upstate New York.......it will be a tropical heat wave to you. You'll be fine with summer type clothes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter