For the First Time Cruisers -Ask your questions here

If I havent answered a question it's because I don't know the answer but don't worry someone will come along and answer it for you....

"First, we live in Auburndale, just down the road from Disney. We are capable of driving to the port if we have to but are we eligible to take the cruise line bus even if we dont' happen to stay on property at that time?? Are we able to drive from Auburndale to Disney and catch the bus to the port or will we be on our own. I'm not clear on that point. My second question, regards paying for the cruise. I understand the deposit part but does the rest of the balance have to be paid all in one lump sum or can you make small payments towards the balance a little bit at a time. I'm not clear on those points. Any help would truly be appreciated. Thanks!!"

DCL bus transports are only for land and sea packets and those who pay the additional fee for the transport. Since you live so close, I would have someone drive me and pick me up. It's just like going to the airport, they will pull up and drop you off.

As for the payment, DU has always let me make small payments along the way with paid in full status about 90 days out (not sure the exact number of days, and I know that the paid in full date is a DCL policy). I can't imagine it isn't the same for this. Kevin is that right???

Hope that helped

thank you for this thread. It's a fantastic idea!
I am a first time cruiser hopeful (my husband told me "give me some days to think about it - it's a budget thing), and I have lots of questions. One is: with a 3 years old child should I choose an early dinner or a late one? I know it depends on the child's habits and family, but I was wondering if you could express the pros and cons of both for families with young children. What are your experiences recommending?

(my first question is about food - you are so right!)

Minnie - My DH and I don't travel with kids, they all grew up and moved out on us :thumbsup2 so I will leave this to a current parent who has experienced this to answer.... Sorry I can't help

Ok, I have one. And thanks for starting this thread. I have a feeling I'm going to spend a lot of time here. :surfweb:

Anyway, when I did the form for the quote, it asked about transfers. Could someone please fill me in if I need them? I'm thinking we're going to stay in Disney a few nights before the cruise. Can I just take the DCL magical express, or do I have to set up something special? And how do we get back to the airport after the cruise?

Oh, and one more thing... what's a better dining time? I'm thinking of the early one because of the kids, but will we miss more events because of that? Would the later time be best?

Cynthia - We have always driven to WDW and to DCL so never had to do anything with transfers. Someone will be here to answer soon I am sure..

Why am I not surprised that the first two questions on this thread refer to food??? Not cruise etiquette, not cruise safety or staterooms but food...

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I love it here

We definitely have our priorities right here at the Unplugged boards. :rotfl:

Thanks for your answer about the seating arrangements! That does make sense. :goodvibes

Ok, I have one. And thanks for starting this thread. I have a feeling I'm going to spend a lot of time here. :surfweb:

Anyway, when I did the form for the quote, it asked about transfers. Could someone please fill me in if I need them? I'm thinking we're going to stay in Disney a few nights before the cruise. Can I just take the DCL magical express, or do I have to set up something special? And how do we get back to the airport after the cruise?

Oh, and one more thing... what's a better dining time? I'm thinking of the early one because of the kids, but will we miss more events because of that? Would the later time be best?
Cruise transfers are completely different than Magical Express. You do need to request them if you don't intend to drive to and from Port Canaveral. The DCL motor coach can take you from MCO to Port Canaveral or from a WDW resort to Port Canaveral. It works the same way going back. You can go directly from Port Canaveral to MCO or a WDW resort. I believe the cost is around $70 per person round trip.

I'd choose the 2nd dining time. We have a 9 year old girl and like you I was worried about eating a little later, but honestly it was not a big deal at all. Just keep in mind if your child gets hungry around 4:00 you can always grab something quick on deck 9 like a hot dog, french fries, a small pizza, etc. That will satify their appetite until 8:15. We also enjoyed watching the show before dinner. It made for a more pleasant and relaxed evening.

Hope that helps. :)

thank you for this thread. It's a fantastic idea!
I am a first time cruiser hopeful (my husband told me "give me some days to think about it - it's a budget thing), and I have lots of questions. One is: with a 3 years old child should I choose an early dinner or a late one? I know it depends on the child's habits and family, but I was wondering if you could express the pros and cons of both for families with young children. What are your experiences reccommending?

(my first question is about food - you are so right!)

I would definitely recommend early dining with a little one. Late dining doesn't even get seated until 8pm and dinner easily lasts 90 minutes. We prefer early dining then go back to the room and change the little on into PJs and go to the show. That way if he falls asleep you're all set.

- Scott

Why am I not surprised that the first two questions on this thread refer to food??? Not cruise etiquette, not cruise safety or staterooms but food...

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I love it here

Is there anything more important then food? :rotfl:

I would definitely recommend early dining with a little one. Late dining doesn't even get seated until 8pm and dinner easily lasts 90 minutes. We prefer early dining then go back to the room and change the little on into PJs and go to the show. That way if he falls asleep you're all set.

- Scott

Thank you Scott for the advice. And also the pj idea before the show it's a good idea!

Monica

Would we be required to get a category 4 stateroom for our party of 5 even though 3 members of the party will be under 2 years old?

As far as DCL is concerned, every person in the room counts, regardless of age.

If you wish to all stay in one room, the lowest category stateroom that accommodates 5 is a category 4.

You might want to consider connecting staterooms in a lower category. This would allow you more space. You would need to put an adult in eaxh reservation, but DCL isnt concerned with sleeping arrangements.

Here is adescription of each stateroom category:

http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/cruise/staterooms.htm

Here are the ship's deck plans:

http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/cruise/deck-plans.htm

Magical Express will take you from OIA to the resorts and back to the airport.

DCL transfers and a bunch of other info can be found here:

http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/cruise/faq.htm

You are going to see me refer folks to the Dreams Unlimited Travel website alot. The Frequently Asked Questions page contains a huge amount of info.

Only you can decide on whats the right dining time for your family.

If you have early dining, you see the shows after dinner. If you have late dining, you see the shows before dinner.

Some folks find late dining too late for young kids.

Hi Kelly:

This was nice of you to start this thread. I'm know I'll follow this thread and probably will be asking a few questions too.

Like... money aside.... Assuming that we want a Veranda room what category room would you recommend and why?

Category 4, 5 or 6.

Thanks again Kelly!!!! :thumbsup2

Mark

I'd like input on this one also. We're looking at Category 5, 6 or 7. Opinions about which one would be appreciated. I am leaning towards 6.
Thanks,
Steve

If you have early dining, you see the shows after dinner. If you have late dining, you see the shows before dinner.

Some folks find late dining too late for young kids.

How about adults without young kids? I am used to eating dinner around 6:00. But I don't really want to eat at "the kids table" if that is what the early dinner means! Do most of the adult podcast cruisers do the late dinner?

I can get a snack before the show, right?

How about adults without young kids? I am used to eating dinner around 6:00. But I don't really want to eat at "the kids table" if that is what the early dinner means! Do most of the adult podcast cruisers do the late dinner?

When the kids and I cruised last month, we had late dining. There were lots of kids at late dining, so I would venture to guess that early/late doesn't really matter as far as more/less kids in the dining room. They do however try to seat you with like parties. For instance if you have no kids, you'll probably be seated at an adult only table. We were seated with another family with 2 kids (they were quite younger than my kids though).

You can get a snack 24/7 so there is no fear there... all though they do charge for snacks at the snack bar outside the shows.. (movie theater type snacks, w/out popcorn ;) )

We prefer early dining, even without the kids. I just hate to eat that late. That is us though, others have their own feelings... There are children at all the seatings as well as adult only tables at both seatings. They do a really good job of balance I think! Personally I would ask for early dining, chances are really good you can change it down the road to late if you decide as there is always a waitlist for early dining, rarely does it happen the other way around..

As far as DCL is concerned, every person in the room counts, regardless of age.

If you wish to all stay in one room, the lowest category stateroom that accommodates 5 is a category 4.

You might want to consider connecting staterooms in a lower category. This would allow you more space. You would need to put an adult in eaxh reservation, but DCL isnt concerned with sleeping arrangements.

We were toying with the idea of bringing our boys, but so much for that. Don't think we could swing the cost of cat 4 or even 2x cat 11. Boo :sad1: You weren't joking on the last email show when you said we priced ourselves right out of standard rooms in one fell swoop!

We were toying with the idea of bringing our boys, but so much for that. Don't think we could swing the cost of cat 4 or even 2x cat 11. Boo :sad1: You weren't joking on the last email show when you said we priced ourselves right out of standard rooms in one fell swoop!

Think of it this way... You and your wonderful DW will have been tripleting for 18 months when the cruise starts, you will be ready for a grown-up vacation and the boys will be old enough that you should be feeling comfortable leaving them at home for a few days (with a sitter of course hehehe).. I think this would be a perfect break for you both, its not to long to be apart but long enough....

Yes I am an enabler :)

First the porthole we are getting a room with that because of my fear of enclosed spaces, my wife is wondering with such a big window will you have moonlight, sunlight coming in and the room will not be completey dark. We chose category 8.
Second from what we understood there is no charge for the kids activities correct? And how do you keep in touch with your kids when you are apart? Do they have pagers our what?
Will they have anything interesting for a 8 year old to do?

that is all the questions for now. Thanks everyone.

First the porthole we are getting a room with that because of my fear of enclosed spaces, my wife is wondering with such a big window will you have moonlight, sunlight coming in and the room will not be completey dark. We chose category 8.
Second from what we understood there is no charge for the kids activities correct? And how do you keep in touch with your kids when you are apart? Do they have pagers our what?

Hi Brumeiser:

I'm only basing this on the DCL DVD... It looks like there is a lot for kids to do. I would suggest ordering the Free DVD from Disney. Ours arrived on Saturday... took about 1 week.

Mark

You do have a pager and they will page you if needed. I am not sure about 8 year old activites, but there are lots of activities at all ages.

We stayed in cat 12 and liked it a lot. I personally enjoy the dark room. One thing I have read here on the boards is people suggest bringing a clothes pin to keep the blinds completely closed.

Hi everyone -

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but I couldn't find it. :) I am considering going on the Podcast Cruise Part II next year; it sounds like you had lots of fun activities, but was your time really scheduled or did you have down time to spend with family and friends? I would like to go but I wouldn't be as interested if each hour of the day was scheduled. I'm all for the cool events and fun times with everyone, but I would like some downtime too.

Thanks in advance!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter