"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

You know, I usually drive on weekdays. this was my first weekend trip so I'm not the best person to give you advice.
BC1836, can you help Amcnj?

When we depart WDW on a Sunday, we will usually make an evening stop at Emporia (exit #11) or Petersburg (exit #45). Both cities are before Richmond. However, on a couple of occasions, we stopped at Thornburg, VA (exit 118), which is north of Richmond. Traffic was steady but never heavy; nor was there any stop-and-go traffic. The Thornburg stops took place between 9 and 10 p.m.

We hope this info is somewhat helpful.

All the best! :thumbsup2

OK, thanks everyone. I believe my next drive down will have me driving back on a Sunday, hence my interest in the recent report of terrible traffic on that day! But I don't believe I will be hitting Richmond till 6 pm, so am hoping I will be behind the traffic issues timewise. I have passed the DC area around 8-9 PM before, and while the roads were far from empty, did not have the stop and go traffic issue, and don't want to start!

Awaiting the next driver who incorporates a WDW stop during Thanksgiving week.

Hi everyone! we will be traveling in 2017 from central WI to WDW and have decided to DRIVE! we will have a 7 and 4 year old when we go. We have flown multiple times but at $1300+ to fly roundtrip we have decided to try our hand at driving. We won't be traveling until November 2, 2017 (we always travel the firs week of November) we have our route mostly planned out we were just hoping for encouragement as we have heard some horror stories about driving through at Atlanta. Any tips would be welcome, I haven't seen a lot of info on the thread from people driving from the Midwest.

Hi everyone! we will be traveling in 2017 from central WI to WDW and have decided to DRIVE! we will have a 7 and 4 year old when we go. We have flown multiple times but at $1300+ to fly roundtrip we have decided to try our hand at driving. We won't be traveling until November 2, 2017 (we always travel the firs week of November) we have our route mostly planned out we were just hoping for encouragement as we have heard some horror stories about driving through at Atlanta. Any tips would be welcome, I haven't seen a lot of info on the thread from people driving from the Midwest.
We leave this Friday from South Dakota. It's our 1st drive down. I've been following this thread for awhile and it seems to be mostly east coasters. Hopefully someone has some input about Atlanta as I've heard horror stories as well. :)

We leave this Friday from South Dakota. It's our 1st drive down. I've been following this thread for awhile and it seems to be mostly east coasters. Hopefully someone has some input about Atlanta as I've heard horror stories as well. :)

Good luck! Please post how it goes and where you stop! I would love to hear about it!

Welcome from another Wisconsinite! We drive to WDW, as we stay at Fort Wilderness and haul our fifth-wheel. We make that trip yearly, sometimes twice, and always through Atlanta, BUT, in 30 days we leave again and are going through Birmingham, Montgomery, Dothan, down to Florida, East on 10, and join back on 75 south by Lake City. We leave Darlington, and our first night is typically Paducah, Ky. Getting up early the next day and on the road by 7:00 am, gets us to Nashville around 8:30-9:00 am. We have taken the Briley Parkway to avoid the downtown congestion. Going that way, I24 to Chattanooga, we typically hit Atlanta about 1:30 pm (time change). Our adventure starts, stops, starts stops. Our goal is to drive to Valdosta, or Gainesville Florida, spend the night, and a short 2 - 3 hour drive next morning. I feel driving southbound through Atlanta in the early morning has more challenges. Thus the decision to go through Alabama this December. We are aware that it will add 1 1/2 hour driving time, but feel that we will be in congested traffic stopped as well. And new scenery as well! Because of a work conflict this year, leaving at 2:00 pm takes us to a hotel in Mattoon, Il. Our next day takes us through Nashville, Birmingham, and just to Montgomery, where we will sleep in the camper at a campground. Our 3rd day is a 7 hour drive from Montgomery, Dothan, Tallahassee, lake city, and South to the Gainesville/Ocala area campground. Grocery time, and up and early to Fort Wilderness by 10:00 am.

To those of you traveling through Atlanta, be in Chattanooga by noon, to get through the heart of Atlanta and beyond by 4. Lots of road construction, and the further south you go, lots of radar!!!! I will miss the mountains going east of Nashvilke, Chattanooga, but will believe we will like the more peaceful route and scenery of Alabama.

Good luck. We leave Dec 27, so I will forward my thoughts.

Have a fabulous trip. Atlanta is one crazy busy city, but the fastest way is right through downtown. Be there before 2:30, and keep heading way south, before you breathe again! When we are by the airport, we think we have made it okay! We also made this trip at Midnight, and it was significantly faster and so much easier. But we were tired people, and that is not safe either. Enjoy WDW. Barb

One thing about your trip. You'll be traveling on one of the busiest days of the year (Sunday after Thanksgiving). Travel will be bad all around. Just take that into consideration.

In Atlanta, just remember, the far left lane (carpool Lane) is your friend.

I don't mind driving through Atlanta. Nashville is my problem city. Which reminds me, we are traveling this Sunday. Missing Atlanta, but going through Nashville.

Good luck.

Question: What is more challenging, a 2,000+ mile round trip drive to WDW or a drive to and from your local supermarket today?

Hi everyone! we will be traveling in 2017 from central WI to WDW and have decided to DRIVE! we will have a 7 and 4 year old when we go.

No info on Atlanta, but my kids are now 10 & 12, and they have been riding since they were maybe 3 & 5... make sure they have a footrest (we use a piece of carryon luggage). It really helps them not get back and leg fatigue. We have a rule about no screens the first couple hours of the trip -- we play a game called Rubberneckers, which gets the kids engaged in looking out the window! Roadtrip playlist, then an audiobook, then we start with the screens. I also don't have a rule about sleeping in the car. Frankly, if the kids stay up a good part of the night with us, they are in the same slow moving vibe we are when we arrive. We also restrict liquids until 3/4 of an hour before we're going to stop, so all bladders get synchronized as we travel.

These ideas won't all work for your family, but I throw them all out there because I tried to do it all the "right" way, and eventually found "our" way. :lovestruc We just completed two trips to WDW, just 7 weeks apart, and the kids think the ride is the best part! :car:

No info on Atlanta, but my kids are now 10 & 12, and they have been riding since they were maybe 3 & 5... make sure they have a footrest (we use a piece of carryon luggage). It really helps them not get back and leg fatigue. We have a rule about no screens the first couple hours of the trip -- we play a game called Rubberneckers, which gets the kids engaged in looking out the window! Roadtrip playlist, then an audiobook, then we start with the screens. I also don't have a rule about sleeping in the car. Frankly, if the kids stay up a good part of the night with us, they are in the same slow moving vibe we are when we arrive. We also restrict liquids until 3/4 of an hour before we're going to stop, so all bladders get synchronized as we travel.

"These ideas won't all work for your family, but I throw them all out there because I tried to do it all the "right" way, and eventually found "our" way. :lovestruc We just completed two trips to WDW, just 7 weeks apart, and the kids think the ride is the best part! :car:

I like the last paragraph & last sentence.

Maybe a " Change of Destination " should be looked at.

Try somewhere different & some other State to visit .... as they appreciate the road journey.

After 42 2,000+ mile WDW round trip drives, we believe that nighttime driving on I-95 is at its worst in greater Richmond and in Jacksonsville. The construction projects are making the drives more challenging, and when the traffic factor is added to the mix, problems arise. [Of course, folks living north of Central Jersey up to NE might have their own "favorite" areas.]

All the best. :thumbsup2

We are hitting the road today, probably around 5pm, from south Jersey. We're planning to do things a little differently this time and take a more leisurely trip with 2 nights on the road instead of 1. If nothing else, we'll try and find places to eat better than fast food, which we hate but we do because it's quick and easy.

We are hitting the road today, probably around 5pm, from south Jersey. We're planning to do things a little differently this time and take a more leisurely trip with 2 nights on the road instead of 1. If nothing else, we'll try and find places to eat better than fast food, which we hate but we do because it's quick and easy.
Safe travels and update us as to what you find along the way!

Safe travels and update us as to what you find along the way!
Left Cherry Hill at 4:30. Virtually no traffic except for one patch south of DC. Stopped for the night at a Residence Inn in Richmond (only 10,000 Marriott points!).

Left Cherry Hill at 4:30. Virtually no traffic except for one patch south of DC. Stopped for the night at a Residence Inn in Richmond (only 10,000 Marriott points!).
That's a great rate on points!!! Wising you smooth :boat: down I 95 today.

Hi all! I'm a newbie to all of this. I will be driving from Connecticut on January 6th. I am a middle aged woman (ouch that hurt to type that!:crazy2:) that will be driving alone. So, where do I stop for the first night and am I safe doing this by myself?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter