• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just started lurking again. This is the thread that gets me most excited for our upcoming trips. We are leaving Halloween night and returning November 8th. Nice to see gas prices heading down also, current lowest price is $2.87.

Quite a few Gas Stations in Jersey City and immediate area for $2.79, lowest I've see so far.

Quite a few Gas Stations in Jersey City and immediate area for $2.79, lowest I've see so far.

And we were happy at $2.87 today!

The last time we experienced prices under $3 was on our December 2010 drive.

All the best. :thumbsup2

And we were happy at $2.87 today!

The last time we experienced prices under $3 was on our December 2010 drive.

Is that how long it was? I was afraid to go back and look at the timeline! :rotfl: No wonder I've been broke!

All these falling gas prices are awesome for our upcoming trip :) fingers crossed they keep going that direction. It was 3.22 at the station I fill up at (southeastern Ct.) But 3.70 at the station near my house! Hurray living in a tourist area -_-

Really can see the buzz.... So gas goes down .30 cents....for us at a 2100 round trip vacation....that's 21.00....really not a deal breaker...everyone makes it sound like gas prices going down is going to reap a substantial savings...

Really can see the buzz.... So gas goes down .30 cents....for us at a 2100 round trip vacation....that's 21.00....really not a deal breaker...everyone makes it sound like gas prices going down is going to reap a substantial savings...

Yup, such a change in an individual WDW round trip drive is not significant, but, on a national level, a penny change in the price of gasoline translates to $1.4 billion in energy spending. The added savings, say over a year, for a family of four can be enough to provide an opportunity to book a longer stay at WDW, or perhaps even book another visit. [Disney would appreciate it since its stock price is down $10 in the last month!]

Furthermore, the psycholgical impact of lower gas prices generates consumer optimism which usually translates to increased spending in all areas.

:teacher:

All the best! :thumbsup2

But will the consumer optimism brought on by lower gas prices be strong enough to stand up against the consumer pessism brought on by the Dow?

But will the consumer optimism brought on by lower gas prices be strong enough to stand up against the consumer pessism brought on by the Dow?

Good question. Gas prices would have to drop by at least 25-cents and the Dow would have to hit its trough soon...and we mean soon...to have a clear postive effect.

[The Dow just bottomed out (at least for the hour) and is up 32 points at 1:33 p.m. EST]

In any event, we're departing in four hours. pixiedust::moped:

Good question. Gas prices would have to drop by at least 25-cents and the Dow would have to hit its trough soon...and we mean soon...to have a clear postive effect.

[The Dow just bottomed out (at least for the hour) and is up 32 points at 1:33 p.m. EST]

In any event, we're departing in four hours. pixiedust::moped:

Have a safe and enjoyable trip!

Guess you will be spending those gas savings all in one place, WDW!

Have a safe and enjoyable trip!

Guess you will be spending those gas savings all in one place, WDW!

Thanks!

Indeed! We will be applying our gas savings to our V&A dinner next week. It will practically be a free meal. :crazy2:

It depends on how you worked out your budget as well. When we planned our travel expenses, we budgeted for 4.00 a gallon, which is still less then what we were paying for gas over the summer. It works out to an estimated savings of over $75.00 for us. In the big picture of spending thousands on a vacation, not a huge chunk, but enough for a few extra souvenirs. ;) Would I make or break my vacation over it, nope, but I'll get excited about it. :thumbsup2

Just a quick thank you to the helpful people and info on this thread. :worship:

We successfully did our first drive from (western near PA) NJ. We left NJ at 3:45 friday night, 10/3 and got to Double Tree at universal at 12 noon Saturday.
We slowed down after breakfast when my stomach(ulcer I think) decided to go nuts after eating and I had to stop to get sick from Daytona to orlando :(

I would much rather fly but it went much better then I expected and my kids were amazing. We stopped on the way home, left Downtown Disney at 4 pm Sunday 10/12, stopped at Midnight just before NC. back on road at 7 am but unfortunately we didnt notice GPS took us right through DC in afternoon so that was a MESS. We didnt get home until 7 pm instead of 5:30 pm.

FYI do not stop for gas outside of DTD- gas was over $4!
Thanks again. Happy, safe travels!

We successfully did our first drive from (western near PA) NJ. We left NJ at 3:45 friday night, 10/3 and got to Double Tree at universal at 12 noon Saturday.
We slowed down after breakfast when my stomach(ulcer I think) decided to go nuts after eating and I had to stop to get sick from Daytona to orlando :(

I would much rather fly but it went much better then I expected and my kids were amazing.

Said in my best Doc Hudson voice, "You did GREAT, rookie!"

:cool1::cool1::cool1:

My daughter and I might drive instead of fly. Since we can't leave until she gets off work and its a 16+ hour trip for us we'll have to drive all night to get there at a decent hour the next day.

How do you drive all night? How do you stay awake? My daughter is 23 so she can help drive.

My daughter and I might drive instead of fly. Since we can't leave until she gets off work and its a 16+ hour trip for us we'll have to drive all night to get there at a decent hour the next day.

How do you drive all night? How do you stay awake? My daughter is 23 so she can help drive.

Kirby, we are down just outhwest of Houston and it takes us about 13 hours to drive.. We leave at 3pm and it's all fun until we hit the florida border.. After that it is a boring drive until you turn off i10.

The kids usually pass out early but my wife is a solid co-pilot only taking brief naps. I love to drive so it's not a big problem for me at all.. I usually setup mini goals to try to hit to. Ale time fly like trying to guess my time to the next border..

We do a lot of small talk about whatever is going on and once we head south in Florida it gets easier, plus sun is starting to come up which makes it better as well..

Most people think we are crazy but we love doing this.. We hit Disney about 6am depending on if I missed the turn lol we check in and then hit rope drop and have a fun time being exhausted at magic kingdom. Lol..

I also pack a container full of snacks to eat when I hit the hard times on the road.. Eating keeps me alert :)

It's 20+ hour trip for us. DH and I swap out. We will leave after he gets out of work so the kids will sleep the first half of the trip. We grab Starbucks before we hit the highway and another one for later in the thermos. He is a night owl so he will probably drive the first shift. I will probably nap until he gets tired and then we will switch. As the PP said, snacking keeps me awake. Once the sun is coming up, I'm good and DH can get some ZZZZ's. The southern part of the trip is the worst, so it's better to do that after the sun comes up for us. Flat, straight, boring roads for MILES. :faint:

It's 20+ hour trip for us. DH and I swap out. We will leave after he gets out of work so the kids will sleep the first half of the trip. We grab Starbucks before we hit the highway and another one for later in the thermos. He is a night owl so he will probably drive the first shift. I will probably nap until he gets tired and then we will switch. As the PP said, snacking keeps me awake. Once the sun is coming up, I'm good and DH can get some ZZZZ's. The southern part of the trip is the worst, so it's better to do that after the sun comes up for us. Flat, straight, boring roads for MILES. :faint:

How do you handle the coffee? I would love to drink my coffee but then I would be stopping to hit the bathrooms way too much lol.. I've thought about those go while u drive things but never tried.. I do bring an empty milk jug in case I cave and hit some coffee but haven't done it yet..

Oh best part for us, traveling from Texas, is getting to Florida and finding Krispy Kreme in the gas stations! Actually it starts before Florida but it's a good feeling :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter