• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only! (III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok all you Driving Vets...help a newbie out. I am considering driving for our trip next April from just outside of Worcester, Ma. I expect to do a one night stay somewhere, but want to be able to get to Disney by mid day on our arrival day. Most likely leaving on a Friday. I know BAD IDEA LOL...but what would be the best time of day to leave and what should we expect for a stopping time and place to be able to make it to Disney mid day on Saturday :)

Ok all you Driving Vets...help a newbie out. I am considering driving for our trip next April from just outside of Worcester, Ma. I expect to do a one night stay somewhere, but want to be able to get to Disney by mid day on our arrival day. Most likely leaving on a Friday. I know BAD IDEA LOL...but what would be the best time of day to leave and what should we expect for a stopping time and place to be able to make it to Disney mid day on Saturday :)

Hi. I would suggest hitting DC no later than 10 am, best to be closer to 9. Not sure how much time you would need to get to that point, so that part is up to you.

Have you considered the inland route? Because unless you leave at about 3 a.m. on Friday morning, you'll hit northern NJ traffic on the Garden State Parkway and Turnpike (or NY traffic if you choose to go across the George Washington Bridge). And then, if you are making good time, you might catch the tail end of MD commute traffic on I-95...it's all do-able, and I'd do it, but I used to spend my life driving among all the cities between Boston and DC. But if I were coming from your area, I'd also definitely consider the inland route.

Good luck deciding. At least in April, you don't have to factor in shore/beach :beach: traffic!

Hi, driving vet here...we have driven from Albany NY 10 times, and leave on Tuesday at 7 am for our 11th drive to WDW...I can't wait..both DH and I love the drive, it gives us time to talk..we never see to have enough time to just chat in our real life! Is anyone interested in live updates..we usually stop in South Carolina for the night and arrive in Disney around two...soooo excited !!

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

Hi, driving vet here...we have driven from Albany NY 10 times, and leave on Tuesday at 7 am for our 11th drive to WDW...I can't wait..both DH and I love the drive, it gives us time to talk..we never see to have enough time to just chat in our real life! Is anyone interested in live updates..we usually stop in South Carolina for the night and arrive in Disney around two...soooo excited !!

have a good trip.:thumbsup2

We're very close to you and just did this trip in June (well, essentially this trip. We were headed to the Villages, which is about an hour outside of Orlando). I would avoid DC traffic at all costs. We left at 6:30 AM and were in Baltimore around 2:30 (hit traffic in CT and again going through NYC), so we opted to go Route 301 which eventually brings you to Route 95 around Richmond. It adds on some time, but given the likelihood of hitting DC traffic during rush hour, I figured we probably did OK.

We wound up driving about 675 miles that first day, and we stayed in Wilson, NC. We arrived around 9:15. If you don't have small kids and don't take as long of a dinner break as we did or as many bathroom breaks, you would get there more quickly and could probably travel further. Wilson, NC is more than 1/2 way to the Villages from our neck of the woods, and we made it to the Villages by 6 PM the next day (and we left NC around 8:30).

My advice--

1. Leave by 5 AM
2. Avoid Route 95 in CT--travel on the Merritt Parkway
3. Not sure what to tell you about NY. We did the GW Bridge, and it was about what I expected for traffic
4. Avoid DC traffic
5. Take a shorter dinner break. Ours was about 2 hours, and we also had several longish bathroom breaks that were 20-30 minutes each.
6. Try to get to Wilson, NC or further south

Good luck. This was our first trip and it went pretty well. My kids are 8.5, 6 and 4.

Hi. I would suggest hitting DC no later than 10 am, best to be closer to 9. Not sure how much time you would need to get to that point, so that part is up to you.

hi sharon!!! if i dont get a chance to log on tomorrow, you mike and the kids have a great trip on tuesday!!!! feel free to text me on your travels. :thumbsup2
briana gets her wisdom teeth taken out on friday so tammy and i will be playing nurse all next weekend. briana gets pain killers and we have to live with her. :lmao:
HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!!! :thumbsup2

Thank you everyone for the great tips and advice. Is there a website that helps plan out road trips that you can suggest?

Hey all-

So here our plan but we need some help with a route, hotel, and other things :rotfl2:

We are traveling from the Lehigh Valley area of Pa. We will be leaving Sunday Nov 25th @ about 6-7 am (first question is this to later of a start?)

We would like a route that takes over the Chesapake Bay Bridge (second question is this even a good ideal?)

We want a route that will take us to Atlanta Georgia (third question how long will it take us to get here? Any inexpensive hotel that are nice? And finally how far is WDW from here?)

TIA for the help :thumbsup2

Hey all-

So here our plan but we need some help with a route, hotel, and other things :rotfl2:

We are traveling from the Lehigh Valley area of Pa. We will be leaving Sunday Nov 25th @ about 6-7 am (first question is this to later of a start?)

Ouch. You know that's one of the busiest travel days of the year. People will be driving home from the Thanksgiving holidays. I'll be on he roads.

Anyway can you start out on Saturday instead? Traffic is a lot lighter.

We want a route that will take us to Atlanta Georgia (third question how long will it take us to get here? Any inexpensive hotel that are nice? And finally how far is WDW from here?)

From Lehigh Valley, PA??? You know that's several hundred miles out of your way? Unless you have friends in Atlanta, or there is a pressing reason why you want to go to Atlanta, I'd wouldn't go. At least, not on this trip.

If you insist, it's about 13 hours from Lehigh Valley without traffic, and going the shortest route (which is not the Chesapake Bridge. And I'd stop south of Atlanta for the night, so you'll avoid Monday morning rush hour.

Good luck.

Hey all-

We would like a route that takes over the Chesapake Bay Bridge (second question is this even a good ideal?)

Wow, that sounds like a very convoluted route to me. Why go east then west when you can just go south? You are adding on hours and hours of travel time. If you really want to do both, then I would suggest you take one route on the way down (coastal or inland) and the other route on the way back (inland or coastal).

Just filled up the van for our trip tomorrow..gas is 3.79 in Albany NY...hope it goes down as we go south..my husband keeps track of prices...he always asks if anyone on DIS has mentioned how much gas is at the DTD Hess! !

Hey all-

hello, im in nazareth. ive taken the drive a few times. we go a few ways but i tend to use i78/i81/i77/i26/i95/i4 the most. we leave no later than 3am and we arrive at wdw around 7-7:30pm. it takes me 16 -16 1/2 hours. we dont do any sight seeing on the coast. over the years, ive seen all i want sitting on i95 in traffic but if you have time. that 16- 16 1/2 is not stopping for sit down meals. short stops every two-three hours or so for gas and welcoming centers. the only place i tend to hit traffic is i78 and rt100. :lmao:
have a good trip. :thumbsup2

hello, im in nazareth. ive taken the drive a few times. we go a few ways but i tend to use i78/i81/i77/i26/i95/i4 the most. we leave no later than 3am and we arrive at wdw around 7-7:30pm. it takes me 16 -16 1/2 hours. we dont do any sight seeing on the coast. over the years, ive seen all i want sitting on i95 in traffic but if you have time. that 16- 16 1/2 is not stopping for sit down meals. short stops every two-three hours or so for gas and welcoming centers. the only place i tend to hit traffic is i78 and rt100. :lmao:
have a good trip. :thumbsup2

Ditto on all that to the original question! (From Whitehall here). We do the same route evey year, well almost, and find it quick, less traffic, toll free etc. etc. Roughly the same timing too, although sometimes an overnight in Georgia, around Kingsland, is needed if the kids are truly going stir crazy! :lmao:

Getting ready to head out this coming Sunday morning as a matter of fact........:cool1:

Just filled up the van for our trip tomorrow..gas is 3.79 in Albany NY...hope it goes down as we go south..my husband keeps track of prices...he always asks if anyone on DIS has mentioned how much gas is at the DTD Hess! !

If I recall correctly, it was $3.59 last week at WDW Hess.

All the best. :thumbsup2

Hey everyone,

First time logging on today, I wanted to catch you all up on the first day:

Left home at 9:15 AM as planned, with Dunkin Donuts in hand
9:55 am Delaware state line, Delaware toll 10:15, $4.00
10:17 am Maryland state line
11:15 Baltimore toll $3.00
12:08 pm Virginia state line
12:35 first rest area stop
Traffic in a couple of stops, slow down to 40, lost about 20 minutes
3:42 North Carolina border
4:25 Dinner stop Highway diner, Rocky Mount NC Delicious!! Will post more info and some pics, real diner, real food, nothing fancy, perfect for us.
5:35 out to gas station, getting 24.8 mpg in a 2005 Grand Caravan, not too loaded, but running front and back A/C
5:40 back on the road to North Savannah, GA, expected arrival time 11 pm

All in all it's been a great day so far. We're relaxed, not "rushed" to get anywhere. DD just finished up a weekend of 4 shows of her summer play so she's exhausted and not cranky and complaining ALL the time, just some of it :lmao:

Already got our confirm call on our golf cart tomorrow and grocery order. Expect to hit the fort by 1, and MK by 4. Talk to you all soon!:drive:

Hey everyone,

First time logging on today, I wanted to catch you all up on the first day:

Left home at 9:15 AM as planned, with Dunkin Donuts in hand
9:55 am Delaware state line, Delaware toll 10:15, $4.00
10:17 am Maryland state line
11:15 Baltimore toll $3.00
12:08 pm Virginia state line
12:35 first rest area stop
Traffic in a couple of stops, slow down to 40, lost about 20 minutes
3:42 North Carolina border
4:25 Dinner stop Highway diner, Rocky Mount NC Delicious!! Will post more info and some pics, real diner, real food, nothing fancy, perfect for us.
5:35 out to gas station, getting 24.8 mpg in a 2005 Grand Caravan, not too loaded, but running front and back A/C
5:40 back on the road to North Savannah, GA, expected arrival time 11 pm

All in all it's been a great day so far. We're relaxed, not "rushed" to get anywhere. DD just finished up a weekend of 4 shows of her summer play so she's exhausted and not cranky and complaining ALL the time, just some of it :lmao:

Already got our confirm call on our golf cart tomorrow and grocery order. Expect to hit the fort by 1, and MK by 4. Talk to you all soon!:drive:

Cool road info; state border times are essential in any report. Thanks!

Don't forget to pay your respects to Davy Crockett when you get to Fort Wilderness.

Cool road info; state border times are essential in any report. Thanks!

Don't forget to pay your respects to Davy Crockett when you get to Fort Wilderness.

:rotfl: I will be sure to raise a glass at Crockett's Tavern in his (and your) honor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter