For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only! (III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

First time logging on today, I wanted to catch you all up on the first day:

Left home at 9:15 AM as planned, with Dunkin Donuts in hand
9:55 am Delaware state line, Delaware toll 10:15, $4.00
10:17 am Maryland state line
11:15 Baltimore toll $3.00
12:08 pm Virginia state line
12:35 first rest area stop
Traffic in a couple of stops, slow down to 40, lost about 20 minutes
3:42 North Carolina border
4:25 Dinner stop Highway diner, Rocky Mount NC Delicious!! Will post more info and some pics, real diner, real food, nothing fancy, perfect for us.
5:35 out to gas station, getting 24.8 mpg in a 2005 Grand Caravan, not too loaded, but running front and back A/C
5:40 back on the road to North Savannah, GA, expected arrival time 11 pm

All in all it's been a great day so far. We're relaxed, not "rushed" to get anywhere. DD just finished up a weekend of 4 shows of her summer play so she's exhausted and not cranky and complaining ALL the time, just some of it :lmao:

Already got our confirm call on our golf cart tomorrow and grocery order. Expect to hit the fort by 1, and MK by 4. Talk to you all soon!:drive:

:thumbsup2

hello, im in nazareth. ive taken the drive a few times. we go a few ways but i tend to use i78/i81/i77/i26/i95/i4 the most. we leave no later than 3am and we arrive at wdw around 7-7:30pm. it takes me 16 -16 1/2 hours. we dont do any sight seeing on the coast. over the years, ive seen all i want sitting on i95 in traffic but if you have time. that 16- 16 1/2 is not stopping for sit down meals. short stops every two-three hours or so for gas and welcoming centers. the only place i tend to hit traffic is i78 and rt100. :lmao:
have a good trip. :thumbsup2

If we want to stop along the way overnight where is a good place to do so?

Well this route take you near South of the Border or Mytle Beach?

Thank you for all the help :worship:

dvczerfs said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by sharadoc

Hey everyone,

4:25 Dinner stop Highway diner, Rocky Mount NC Delicious!! Will post more info and some pics, real diner, real food, nothing fancy, perfect for us.
5:35 out to gas station, getting 24.8 mpg in a 2005 Grand Caravan, not too loaded, but running front and back A/C

All in all it's been a great day so far. We're relaxed, not "rushed" to get anywhere. DD just finished up a weekend of 4 shows of her summer play so she's exhausted and not cranky and complaining ALL the time, just some of it

Already got our confirm call on our golf cart tomorrow and grocery order. Expect to hit the fort by 1, and MK by 4. Talk to you all soon!

[/quote

Hope you arrive safe and sound...

We left Albany at 705...diet pepsi in hand! !

I will update when I am not driving, weather is foggy and a cool 66

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

No. You would need to take I-95 route for that. If you really want to see the ocean, you might want to consider stopping somewhere between St. Augustine and Daytona Beach

If you take the inland route (81-77-26-95), try to get past Charlotte before stopping for the night. We pushed to get to Orangeburg one trip and that was perfect for us. (We can't leave until after church on Sunday, so we lose a good six hours of travel time, so getting to Orangeburg was pretty good for us.)

No. You would need to take I-95 route for that. If you really want to see the ocean, you might want to consider stopping somewhere between St. Augustine and Daytona Beach

If you take the inland route (81-77-26-95), try to get past Charlotte before stopping for the night. We pushed to get to Orangeburg one trip and that was perfect for us. (We can't leave until after church on Sunday, so we lose a good six hours of travel time, so getting to Orangeburg was pretty good for us.)

like pw said, you have to take i95 for the shore points,south of the border. mytle beach is anotherr hour off of i95.
the way myself and rotlex posted is what people call the inland route here on the boards. heres an idea of times. again this is leaving at 3am, short breaks and driving on the upper end of the speedlimits:
nazareth to va stateline = 2hrs/52min.
nazareth to i77 =6hrs/15min.
nazareth to charl nc = 8hrs/25min.
nazareth to i26 = 9hrs/49min.
nazareth to i95 = 10hrs/38min.
nazareth to fl. stateline = 13hrs/29min
nazareth to wdw = 16hrs/6min
total 1094 miles.
just an fyi, im an outside rep and spend alot of time on the road. if it wasnt for getting gas, i could drive without stopping. theres alot that figures into time of travel. when you hit citys, how fast you drive and how often you stop and for how long. im just lucky my wife and dd puts up with me. lol

Hey everyone,

All in all it's been a great day so far. We're relaxed, not "rushed" to get anywhere. DD just finished up a weekend of 4 shows of her summer play so she's exhausted and not cranky and complaining ALL the time, just some of it :lmao:

Already got our confirm call on our golf cart tomorrow and grocery order. Expect to hit the fort by 1, and MK by 4. Talk to you all soon!:drive:

ARE WE THERE YET, ARE WE THERE YET!!!!!:hyper::hyper::hyper:

Hi Everyone!

We left yesterday at 5:15am for our 6th drive to Florida! The drive was uneventful and smooth except for some traffic outside Baltimore! Our 3 car caravan made it to Savannah at 5:50pm for the night.

Today, we left Savannah around 830 and arrived in Port Canaveral around 1245! Our cruise on the Dream embarks tomorrow!! Life is good!

On Sunday, we head to the World for a week at our Beloved Lodge.

For anyone making drive South on 95, we have never seen so many speed traps and state troopers from Virginia south. Beware and drive safe!!

Take care!!

Gowahoowa said:
Hi Everyone!

We left yesterday at 5:15am for our 6th drive to Florida! The drive was uneventful and smooth except for some traffic outside Baltimore! Our 3 car caravan made it to Savannah at 5:50pm for the night.

Today, we left Savannah around 830 and arrived in Port Canaveral around 1245! Our cruise on the Dream embarks tomorrow!! Life is good!

On Sunday, we head to the World for a week at our Beloved Lodge.

For anyone making drive South on 95, we have never seen so many speed traps and state troopers from Virginia south. Beware and drive safe!!

Take care!!

( totally agree...so many troopers in aryland and virginia

We ade the delaware line at. 1114, and aryland

Sorry, posting from my phone...Maryland 18 minutes later..

Virginia line at 107...a wonderful lunch at Bob Evans and back on the road

,North Carolina line at 450...gas was more expensive here at 3.80 a gallon

We are making great time, light traffic and next to no construction...95 all the way

we plan on stopping in south carolina for the night...that gives us about a 7 hour drive in yhe morning!!!

We are making great time, light traffic and next to no construction...95 all the way

we plan on stopping in south carolina for the night...that gives us about a 7 hour drive in yhe morning!!!

Another great detailed report! Thanks for sharing.

All the best. :thumbsup2

watch for florida state troopers when you cross the florida state line.
also on the west side of orlando into the wdw exits. :thumbsup2

if you run into this guy, dont tell him you know me! :lmao:

0af6b11b.jpg

(he would be the armed one on the left.:lmao:)

Our 5th drive was a success!
We left our Montreal suburb Saturday morning at 5:05am, lost a half hour at the border crossing, and got to our overnight stay in Salem, VA at 8:00pm. We finally chose the inland road and I think it was a good choice. There was some construction on the I-81 in PA that cost us another 1/2 hour but the rest of the road was clear. We got back on the road at 7:20am Sunday morning and were in Downtown Disney at 7:02pm. Lots of potty breaks but with 4 kids, what can you expect?:confused3

We're having agreat time in WDW again, and are very pleased with our rental home :thumbsup2

We will use the inland route again when we go back home next week...but I don't want to think about that right now :rotfl2:

Thanks for the opinions and advice!

Our 5th drive was a success!
We left our Montreal suburb Saturday morning at 5:05am, lost a half hour at the border crossing, and got to our overnight stay in Salem, VA at 8:00pm. We finally chose the inland road and I think it was a good choice. There was some construction on the I-81 in PA that cost us another 1/2 hour but the rest of the road was clear. We got back on the road at 7:20am Sunday morning and were in Downtown Disney at 7:02pm. Lots of potty breaks but with 4 kids, what can you expect?:confused3

We're having agreat time in WDW again, and are very pleased with our rental home :thumbsup2

We will use the inland route again when we go back home next week...but I don't want to think about that right now :rotfl2:

Thanks for the opinions and advice!

:thumbsup2

Wow, over the last two days there have been an unbelievable number of accidents on I-81 in southern PA, MD, and WV. Be careful everyone!

I've been lurking on this thread for awhile. Next September we're planning on driving from the Twin Cities down to Orlando. I'm sure I'll have a ton of question as the big day gets closer. I'm glad to know that there is a place to go when I have questions.

I've been lurking on this thread for awhile. Next September we're planning on driving from the Twin Cities down to Orlando. I'm sure I'll have a ton of question as the big day gets closer. I'm glad to know that there is a place to go when I have questions.

welcome aboard twindad!!! (another disdad :thumbsup2) what dates are you going next september?

Just back from Disney World and had a nice uneventful drive back to Wisconsin. Happy to answer questions if anyone has any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter