• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Florida "electronic roads"?

jeff968

DIS Veteran
Is it true that there are a few highways in Florida that will only take the Florida sunpass and there are no otions for paying a toll with currency? How do ou find out where they are?
Thanks

The answer is nested in here (https://www.sunpass.com/roadsAndBridges) by clicking on the area you are visiting. Most toll roads are exact change or pass only on lesser traveled or more local offramps. The only road that I know of that is all electronic is the Selmon Expressway in the Tampa area.

If you're just going from the airport to WDW and/or the cruise terminal, there are cash toll lanes on those roads.

There are some exit booths that take electronic tolls or coins. The main toll plazas take both electronic and & employees to take cash payment.

certain roads in Miami are ALL ELECTRONS ...but if you are not going to Miami ... no worries.

If driving your own car .... and encounter an 'electron only' gate, the system takes a photo of your plate and you get a bill in the mail. If this happens on YOUR car there is a service charge of a couple of dollars for a month of collected tolls. (and you may never even get a bill for one boo boo cuz the postage exceeds the missed toll....)

If in a rental the same thing happens but the registered owner is the rental company and they then look to WHO WAS DRIVING THE CAR ..... SOME charge you $25 PER TOLL/INFRACTION . . . . how different rentals handle this can be viewed at https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar .... it is LONG so if you do not read it all and get zapped later, don't blame me . . . one boo boo cound cost you $25 plus .... or $4, depending on the rental company.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter