• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flooded room AoA

hhill

Mouseketeer
So I just got back and just wanted to tell you about our stay at AoA. Everything was awesome until Friday morning. We were getting ready to hit MK and my dad was in the bathroom (Lion King Suite) and the fire extinguisher went off. Nasty water started coming out and flooded our room. We closed that door, put everything on the beds and left the room. It took them about 8 mins to get to my room which seemed like an eternity for me. Of course the fire alarm went off and every guest had to leave their room and wait outside.

We still don't know what caused it, but it was only in our room. We got moved to a different building, waited for about 2 hours to get our belonging and they gave us some tooth brushes, and bathroom stuffs so my dad could take a shower since he got that nasty water all over him. They also gave him a shirt from the store since our stuffs where in the room.

It was a crazy morning but the hotel staff was very nice and helpful. Just wanted to tell you my crazy story lol.

Wow! WEird! As a contractor and wife of a fire chief, that is rare.. Usually only extreamly heat or a good wack is the only way those go off.

Where did they move you to.. Those things out out a ton of water in 8 minutes!!

So sorry for your experience, but glad to hear that Disney CM's did all they could to rectify the problem! :thumbsup2

You just experienced the soft openeing for Disney's new Splash Mountain themed guest room. Just wait until other visitors start requesting that "feature" for their reservation.

:lmao:

Sometimes that happens when a sprinkler head is knocked. Is he tall enough that he might have hit it when reaching up?

Why was the water nasty? And you mean the sprinklers...? That sounds horrible, glad they got you situated.

You just experienced the soft openeing for Disney's new Splash Mountain themed guest room. Just wait until other visitors start requesting that "feature" for their reservation.

:lmao:

:rotfl2: I heard it was soft opening for the Kali River room - the fact that it was a Lion King room makes it a better fit for AK than Splash @ MK.

I once caused the smoke detector in my room (at Disneyland, offsite) to go off because of a too-long, too-hot shower after a very long day at the parks....I opened the door of the bathroom, the steam came out, and it set it off. (and the staff's inattention to the alarm and my requests for help as it was after midnight, I was alone, and was afraid to just prop the door open in the motel is why I'll never stay at the Carousel in Anaheim)

But to have the sprinklers go is even weirder!

Did you smell smoke at all? I'm wondering if one of your neighbors was smoking, and the smoke traveled through the ducts and set of your fire extinguisher.

Fire sprinklers have a wax cap that melts.. Not smoke. It may have become loose. My DH once had one go
Off on a call because someone "in the mood" hung a candle from the head!

Why was the water nasty? And you mean the sprinklers...? That sounds horrible, glad they got you situated.

Water inside fire sprinkler pipes is always smelly. The water sits inside the pipe getting stagnant for years until its time to come out.

Usually it takes a heat or someone smacking / breaking it to go off. Smoke and or the smoke alarm will not set it off. And unlike when you see in the moving just because one goes off they dont all go off.

Most systems are set to that when one does go off the alarm will sound to clear the building.

Sorry. I have been swamped at work all day. I couldn't answer before but no my dad is not talk enough. Yes the fireman asked if we touched it or anything and no we didn't do anything to it. He wasn't even using the hot water for steam to cause it so it was weird but honestly we didn't do anything. I don't think smoke from outside could've caused it either.

Wow- that stinks! I can only imagine how gross the water from the sprinkler must have been! I'm so glad to hear that AoA staff did the best they could to rectify the situation! :thumbsup2

Fire sprinklers have a wax cap that melts.. Not smoke. It may have become loose. My DH once had one go
Off on a call because someone "in the mood" hung a candle from the head!

Some sprinklers have the wax cap which is used to protect the sprinkler from corrosion not to hold back water. Most sprinklers have a glass tube holding the sprinkler closed. The tube is sealed and contains a liquid. The liquid expands as it gets hot and will burst the tube allowing the sprinkler flow.

Wow- that stinks! I can only imagine how gross the water from the sprinkler must have been! I'm so glad to hear that AoA staff did the best they could to rectify the situation! :thumbsup2

They did. The most important thing was that they gave us 3 extra FP+ for any attraction at any time during that day. On top of my other 3 I had scheduled for that for the time we wasted at the hotel waiting and not at the park.

They did. The most important thing was that they gave us 3 extra FP+ for any attraction at any time during that day. On top of my other 3 I had scheduled for that for the time we wasted at the hotel waiting and not at the park.

Sounds like the makings of a new FP plan for my next visit. Of course, the staff may get suspicious when they notice I only had waterproof items in the room at the time the sprinkler "broke":idea:

Just kidding. Glad that the staff at the hotel were so helpful. I've read more than a few complaints regarding WDW service and staft but I have only had good experiences with them.:cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter