Flip Flops on Rides???

jmcghee2024

DIS Veteran
I am not a flip flop person so I've never paid attention to this. But my DH is saying that he is certain that there are several rides at Disney where you can't wear flip flops. True or False? This will apply to my DD5.

I am not a flip flop person so I've never paid attention to this. But my DH is saying that he is certain that there are several rides at Disney where you can't wear flip flops. True or False? This will apply to my DD5.

The only one I can think of is Soarin'. They ask you to leave your flip-flops on the ground for the flight.

Only ride so far ( haven't rode soarin) was the make your own rollercoaster, I left them on the platform.

The only one I can think of is Soarin'. They ask you to leave your flip-flops on the ground for the flight.

that's the only ride we've ever run into. DD wears Flip Flops all over the parks (I do too when it's raining).

FYI many of the tours do ask/ require closed toed shoes (for example the Wild Africa Trek).

Personally, I don't know how you can wear flip flops at WDW, and not have serious foot, ankle and leg pain within a couple hours

Personally, I don't know how you can wear flip flops at WDW, and not have serious foot, ankle and leg pain within a couple hours

There are plenty of flip flops that have good arch support. I tend to wear them in the parks when my feet need a break from my sneakers. So if we were in the park all morning (and I was in sneakers), I might change into my flip flops when we go back to the park in the evening.

I saw a girl lose her flip flop under the track when getting onto Space Mountain.

This is me! Tried it once for just a few hours - was miserable. Now, it's good supportive sneakers (Easy Spirit) and bamboo socks. Barely tired feet by end of day.

Lots of people in flip flops though, must not bother everyone (a lot of them are the cheapies too).

I exclusively wear flip flops during our trips and Soarin' is the only attraction where I've had to take them off.

Lots of people in flip flops though, must not bother everyone (a lot of them are the cheapies too).

And this is me! :) Every now and then I'll break out a good pair but for the parks I'm usually flip flopping around in my 2/$5 Old Navy ones.

I only ever wear my $20 toe-goez flip flops at WDW with no foot pain, but then I wear them non-stop at home too so I'm used to it. The only ride I've ever had to take them off on was Soarin'. That said, at Universal/Seaworld, I had to take them off for a ton of rides.

I wear flips in the park. Love them. On roller coasters, I sit on them because some rides don't end in the same place they begin. Never had issue wearing them on any rides at Disney. We do slip them off at Soarin.

Soarin' is the only one I know of. I would suggest only wearing them if you're comfortable wearing them often. Some people aren't used to them and they fall off their feet often, which means you could lose one getting on and off a ride (like someone said above about Space Mountain).

I wear flip flops (Rainbows) 99% of the time from March-November every year at home, and that goes for Disney. They're very good shoes and I don't even pack a second pair of shoes when we go in the summer.

Never had a flip flip issue on any ride. I have bad feet, and I wear nothing but Teva Mush flip flops when I'm in the parks. Very comfy..even at Epcot.

My teen daughter and I are big fans of Yellow Box fans when we are in Disney. We have never had an issue, even when it rains. We just leave them on the floor during Soarin'.

I wear flips in the park. Love them. On roller coasters, I sit on them because some rides don't end in the same place they begin. Never had issue wearing them on any rides at Disney. We do slip them off at Soarin.

I sit on my Teva Mush flip-flops too when necessary! The top part of the sandal is cloth-- wouldn't work as well with the stiff vinyl flip-flops, but like others have said, you can leave them on the platform.

Thank goodness for them though because sneakers combined with heat and water rides don't do me any favors at all! I had to buy flip-flops to change into at Busch Gardens when I tried to wear sneakers. They got wet on a water ride and started rubbing blisters on my toes. That's my last attempt at sneakers in the parks!

I have never had that problem, but for Soarin, they let you put your flip flops off to the side, that one and Rockin Rollercoaster would be the other I'd think of but ive never had a problem with that one either.

The only rides where you will need to remove loose footwear are Soarin' and Sum of all Thrills. Everything else you can leave them on. Obviously on the coasters you want to make sure they are wicked loose or that you keep your feet on the floor, but that's about it.

Soarin was the only one that I remember. They have a little basket thing to put them in under the seat.

I only wear flipflops, b/c I can't handle my feet being hot in socks and shoes all day. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter