First trip in 2 yrs-questions

GraceLuvsWDW

DIS Veteran
We've been to WDW many times. My daughter is 12 and has Asperger' s and some severe anxiety and sensory issues. We haven't used magic bands or DAS before. I've been getting my daughter used to wearing the magic bands and I've explained to her GAC card doesn't exist anymore.
She has panic attacks now (which is new since we visited). I am a little concerned about what to do If a panic attack occurs while in the parks. They can be quite disturbing for others to see-not to mention for her to endure. Are there any tips you could give me? If an attack does come on, will the CM' s be able to help me with her ie get off ride/out of queue/or out of crowd? We are going at very low crowd level so I am hoping there won't be an issue but I want to be prepared. How do I effectively and discretely communicate to CM what we need? When these come on my daughter needs as much calm and quiet as possible.
Will CM let us sit in back row of shows? We used to use GAC for this purpose but with DAS being on magic band what do you do?
I've thought quite a bit about whether she can do this trip...and I feel she needs some happy times. This is the only place we can go.
I think that's all for now!

1 have you down loaded the guest with cognitive disability form disney web sit this explains the DAS the process of getting one the return time and has some quiet places ( I think having your daughter know what to expect will help her) I have some problems in crowded places ( some sensory issues ) this last trip I went on was by fair the best I went with someone who needed a wheel chair to support her hip she pushed it and when It got to crowded I would sit and put my head down on my bag and have my noise canceling head phones on. this would help me just until we got out of the area ( I would only do this for a bout 5 or so minutes at a time)

yes for the most part CM are good at letting you sit where you need to there are a few that will not let you sit in the very back row ( fantismic come to mind unless you are in a wheel chair) but you can sit close to the back. I do not think there are many rides that she can get off if she is on lines yes you can get out some are easer then others

also your daughter dose not have to ware her magic band you can if you would like you will see a number of people with 2 on some clip it to there shirt ( with the type with very short sleeves ) around the strap of the purse things like that

DS has severe very visible panic attacks, has had for 14 years (now 31) - on top of many other issues. First off don't worry what anyone thinks, stay focused on her.

- If you haven't already, talk to your doctor about any medication that can help in an attack.
- I found I need to keep to our food routine and keep him hydrated, it helps his body stay more even.
- Mid day table service meals allowed us time to relax (server), decent meal, air conditioning and a great time for him to decompress.
- Talk him through everything I can as to why we are going here, there will be a line, gonna to be loud etc.
- Ear plugs if you think noise will be a factor, our biggest issue is other guests who scream, laugh suddenly, high pitch voices etc. You can't predict them like you can attractions. Check out the new Dubs, they allow her to hear but buffer.
- If you can avoid crowds entering and exiting the parks even if it is sitting on a bench with a drink waiting for crowds to die, especially if you are getting on buses.
- No issue with sitting at the back, just tell the CM on entering if it is somewhere you think you need permission. Usually you can sit second to back row with no asking. In shows we prefer to be first or last in so we can sit to sides. Gives us an easy escape and he doesn't feel closed in.
- CMs can not help or touch her. You must be able to manage her on your own. They can offer medical assistance and call for it.
- I understand your fear, DS had a full panic attack ON Rock N Roller Coaster, it was terrifying. When it stopped I just told CM, he is having panic attack, they did not rush us, we exited off slow and steady.
- Know where first aid is where you can rest quietly if you think you can get her there, if not have a plan on a spot to get to by studying maps and always being aware of your surroundings.
- Don't plan intense attractions back to back.
- Buffer space in lines where you can. I am always aware of our space, leaving gap ahead of him, me behind him.
- I carry a backpack and use it to create space where I can.
- Parades I find a spot next to a trash can, put him there, backpack behind him, me on other side. Creates his own hula hoop of space.
- Carry anything in backpack that will help her refocus; DS uses iPod and headphones alot on top of ear plugs. If she has a game or tablet or squish ball ... anything that comforts her that you can carry around.

Even on a great day I am always thinking and being proactive to prepare for the "what ifs". His attacks can come a the flip of a switch so I'm always on alert. That said I take him 5-6 weeks a year, even when I think what am I doing, I push myself so that he can go to his absolute favorite place. We see smiles there we never see at home. If we have a day where we are stuck in the room or we have to leave early, it's okay because we'll have another day that is fantastic.

PS Due to potential of being stuck in room I always bring food and drinks for room.

Wow thanks to you both that is really helpful. We are going low key and have sit down lunch planned each day. She won't ride intense rides so no worries there. She is on medication for anxiety but I will have stronger "as needed" meds for attacks. She won't do fantasmic but shows like Indiana or little mermaid or lion king/nemo are the ones she likes to be in back or else she spends the whole show looking behind her. I will download the guide, thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter