First trip and so overwhelmed

oblori

Earning My Ears
I'm bringing my kids to Disney for their first trip from August 26-September 2. I have a few dining reservations made - a breakfast and lunch at BOG and breakfast at Trattoria - but I'm wondering if you could recommend any 'must-dos'. I was thinking about CRT, but I don't know if I could justify the cost (I'm in Canada, so the exchange rate is brutal).

It might help us make recommendations if we know a little more about your family.

How old are your kids, and how many do you have? Are there other adults in your party? How long are you staying? Are you looking in the parks, at the resorts, or at Disney Springs? How many TS meals to you want to do? Is there any particular kind of good your family really likes (or doesn't like)?

I would check character meal options that have your kids' favorite characters (if there is one). For me, I'm an Eeyore fan, so breakfast at Crystal Palace is a must-do for us. Checking out meal options that way might help you narrow down some choices! Have fun!

We're taking our 2 and 4 yo daughters in sept for their first Disney trip. We're doing a lot of character dining for that reason. We'll also be on the ddp so cost won't matter.

Chef Mickey for the fab 5
Tusker house with rol
Akershus for princesses
Crt for princesses and my birthday
Be our guest for the atmosphere
Crystal palace for poor and friends
Bon voyage for princesses and princes
San Angel inn for atmosphere and Mexican food

Breakfast or dinner at trails end on a weekday. I would recommend the hoop de do but that sounds like it may be too pricy for you.

Do you like Japanese food? Morrocan food? Fish and chips?

BoG is the big one, so it's great that you got that. You can make reservations on the fly, too, or even if you only eat counter service, you won't starve. Really no need to stress.

I made TS reservations when I knew I needed a break indoors in the A/C mostly. About half before my trip and half on the fly.

I'm not sure how old your kids are, but a few of our favorites include:
-Hoop de Doo Review Dinner show (we found it well worth it to splurge for category 1 seating)--kids were 5, 7, 9 and 11 at the time
-Biergarden in Epcot (buffet style German food with live music show--you will be seated at a table for 8, so if your party is less than 8 people, you will have strangers sitting with you)
-Sci Fi at Hollywood Studios (if your kids scare easily, it might not be the best choice for them)

Another vote for Hoop de Doo Review Dinner show. This one is worth the money by Disney standards, where all meals are overpriced.

I have been during that same time of year with my DD now 13. It is very very hot so a lunch at BOG is a nice break and a good way to cool down and see inside the castle but I dont think I'd have breakfast there too. Don't forget to tour each of the three rooms. Dinner has the best food- and the Beast but its expensive.

We love Hoop Dee Doo -well all except my son who hated how loud it was when he was 5 abd was afraid when tge pretty spoke to him. Thats why these suggestions may or may not be for your family but it gives you a starting point. There is a set menu of chicken and ribs etc not sure of kids menu

But if your kids are fans of certain characters i would focus on one splurge that would hopefully make them both happy. A character meal is always fun-that is if they like characters -some kids dont care others are scared.

If you want a character meal with princesses you can always try Akershus. It's less expensive than CRT and still has princesses.

It might help us make recommendations if we know a little more about your family.

How old are your kids, and how many do you have? Are there other adults in your party? How long are you staying? Are you looking in the parks, at the resorts, or at Disney Springs? How many TS meals to you want to do? Is there any particular kind of good your family really likes (or doesn't like)?

Sorry, I wrote that quickly at work and didn't give enough info! 10 year old son and 9 year old daughter. Belle and Rapunzel are her favorites; my son isn't a huge fan of any Disney characters in particular, except Star Wars. Their dad is coming with us as well, and he's a Star Wars freak too. We all are, really. We won't be renting a car, and are doing the parks for 6 days, taking one day completely off from Disney. Son is a very picky eater, the rest of us aren't. We're going to do MNSSHP on either the 29th or 1st; 30th is my birthday, and the 31st (our free day) we're going to see Ed Sheeran.

Thanks so much for your recommendations so far. I'm hoping to get a BOG dinner to meet Beast, but so far no luck.

Your son might like Whispering Canyon at Wilderness Lodge. The waiters play lots of silly pranks. My Boys think it's hilarious.

Sorry, I wrote that quickly at work and didn't give enough info! 10 year old son and 9 year old daughter. Belle and Rapunzel are her favorites; my son isn't a huge fan of any Disney characters in particular, except Star Wars. Their dad is coming with us as well, and he's a Star Wars freak too. We all are, really. We won't be renting a car, and are doing the parks for 6 days, taking one day completely off from Disney. Son is a very picky eater, the rest of us aren't. We're going to do MNSSHP on either the 29th or 1st; 30th is my birthday, and the 31st (our free day) we're going to see Ed Sheeran.

Thanks so much for your recommendations so far. I'm hoping to get a BOG dinner to meet Beast, but so far no luck.

if your son and hubby are Star Wars fans they have to do the meet and greet at Star Wars launch bay at HS. They can meet Kyle Ren or Chewy. Lines aren't long and if you have a Chase credit card they have a line for those customers that is really quick. We met Kylo Ren and it was awesome.

Last edited:
I'd largely skip the character meals - overpriced mediocre food. Perhaps do a character breakfast at Cape May or Tusker House since they get good reviews and breakfast is less expensive. For other meals Sci-Fi Dine In might be fun and is reasonably priced. The Wave at Contemporary is reasonably priced for lunch. Beaches & Cream usually gets good reviews - burgers aren't bad and everyone loves ice cream.

I was thinking about CRT, but I don't know if I could justify the cost

It IS overwhelming! Have you checked CRT for your dates? It usually gets snatched up right at 180 days out and you are at 135 days so it could very well be gone. But then, you can cross it off your list of options and that's ok. When we go next year for 9 days, we will have very, very few ADRs. We don't do the dining plan and we wouldn't...it's just too much food and too much time spent in restaurants. We have lots of good restaurants where we are from so we don't go to WDW for the food. We will do possibly 2 character breakfasts (preschoolers in the group and the girls want to eat in the Castle) and one character dinner on arrival night at 1900 Park Fare. But that's it - everything else will be QS in the parks or food at the resort....like ordering in pizza or picking up 'Ohana feast for the room. It's enough to have to plan so many rides...planning multiple restaurant reservations is not our family's style.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter