First trip and so overwhelmed

Another vote for sci-fi. Good, plain food, and not so expensive by WDW standards. Lots of fun and funny more than scary (but for kids who scare easily it might be a bad choice).

MNSSHP is really fun! Everyone in family will enjoy it! It's good its not the first night if the party it will help to read those reports so you know where the special characters are meeting, what candy you can find where etc. i do recommend starting the party at 4:00. It seems like plenty of time but its all a blurr so have a plan and eat your big meal early. Also remember many places stop serving real meals for the night earlier than you would imagine. You'll find all info on the MNSSHP thread. Many people wear costumes which is great fun-just mind the rules. I wore my Jack tuxedo tshirt and Nightmare Micky ears -to my DD chagrin. I told her to be happy that i left my long finger Jack gloves in the hotel room:( We were already in the park at 4 for the first party last year so i found a shortish line to get our bands grabbed the park map and goodie bags. Frankly the bags were big enough for us but some people bring there own bigger bags. Afterward we waited in line for Jack and Sally -you guys may not want to bother with these meet and greets but you'll be able to read whose at the party. Like we walked into Lotso in tomorrowland and he hardly had any wait to meet. Rides lines were indeed shorter even Haunted Mansion wasnt horrible and was a must for that night (really any night), parade was great watched it twice and the castle show once. We were one of the last ones in the park rushing to have some last rides on splash.

As far as BOG dinner ressies try the site below. I was able to get my perfect time evetually for O'hana dinner thanks to touring plans. It allows you to request two searches I did both for O'hana same night to cover all times that night. You'll see what I mean when you go on the site. https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/reservation-finder

So from what you wrote I wouldn't stress about any more character sit down ressies

I know it all seems daunting but its good to lay out your days loosely and i would plan morning fastpasses if possible because that time of year after using our first three fastpases we were able to then get a forth fastpass at one of the popular rides rather than wait 30-45 minutes in line. DD was great at this fastpass game. After we swiped our magic band for our third fast pass she'd get the fourth set up.

Also when planning remember it is so hot end of August and you will need to take breaks at hotel pool or an air conditioned lunch. I brought a cooling towel that i cut lengthwise for me and daughter we used them on the hot afternoons when we were staying all day at the park. Animal kingdom always seems epecially hot. I brought a large gallon ziplock bag to keep my damp towels in my backpack. In fact baggies of every size are good to bring and keep with you. I also brought a Brita water bottle that i could fill with ice cold water at any soda fountain stand and when i had it out at a restaurant they were happy to refill it for me.

That time of year it is also very rainy so i bought those clear rain ponchos from walmart kept them in my backpack for the daily shower and they worked fine.

If the Jawas are still trading with guests near the Chewie/Kylo meet and greets i would recommend buying set of flashing plastic rings from amazon ($12) so your kids can trade with them. My daughter was a big hit with those Jawas!

Ok sorry way off track from your restaurant question.

Your kids are great ages for their first trip- you will have such a good time!!! Just keep reading the boards and you will be an expert by August!

Last edited:
MNSSHP is really fun! Everyone in family will enjoy it! It's good its not the first night if the party it will help to read those reports so you know where the special characters are meeting, what candy you can find where etc. i do recommend starting the party at 4:00. It seems like plenty of time but its all a blurr so have a plan and eat your big meal early. Also remember many places stop serving real meals for the night earlier than you would imagine. You'll find all info on the MNSSHP thread. Many people wear costumes which is great fun-just mind the rules. I wore my Jack tuxedo tshirt and Nightmare Micky ears -to my DD chagrin. I told her to be happy that i left my long finger Jack gloves in the hotel room:( We were already in the park at 4 for the first party last year so i found a shortish line to get our bands grabbed the park map and goodie bags. Frankly the bags were big enough for us but some people bring there own bigger bags. Afterward we waited in line for Jack and Sally -you guys may not want to bother with these meet and greets but you'll be able to read whose at the party. Like we walked into Lotso in tomorrowland and he hardly had any wait to meet. Rides lines were indeed shorter even Haunted Mansion wasnt horrible and was a must for that night (really any night), parade was great watched it twice and the castle show once. We were one of the last ones in the park rushing to have some last rides on splash.

As far as BOG dinner ressies try the site below. I was able to get my perfect time evetually for O'hana dinner thanks to touring plans. It allows you to request two searches I did both for O'hana same night to cover all times that night. You'll see what I mean when you go on the site. https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/reservation-finder

So from what you wrote I wouldn't stress about any more character sit down ressies

I know it all seems daunting but its good to lay out your days loosely and i would plan morning fastpasses if possible because that time of year after using our first three fastpases we were able to then get a forth fastpass at one of the popular rides rather than wait 30-45 minutes in line. DD was great at this fastpass game. After we swiped our magic band for our third fast pass she'd get the fourth set up.

Also when planning remember it is so hot end of August and you will need to take breaks at hotel pool or an air conditioned lunch. I brought a cooling towel that i cut lengthwise for me and daughter we used them on the hot afternoons when we were staying all day at the park. Animal kingdom always seems epecially hot. I brought a large gallon ziplock bag to keep my damp towels in my backpack. In fact baggies of every size are good to bring and keep with you. I also brought a Brita water bottle that i could fill with ice cold water at any soda fountain stand and when i had it out at a restaurant they were happy to refill it for me.

That time of year it is also very rainy so i bought those clear rain ponchos from walmart kept them in my backpack for the daily shower and they worked fine.

If the Jawas are still trading with guests near the Chewie/Kylo meet and greets i would recommend buying set of flashing plastic rings from amazon ($12) so your kids can trade with them. My daughter was a big hit with those Jawas!

Ok sorry way off track from your restaurant question.

Your kids are great ages for their first trip- you will have such a good time!!! Just keep reading the boards and you will be an expert by August!
You are a Star! Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out like that. I am trying to plan as much as possible without it being too structured... that's kinda tricky haha. SciFi is gong to be our meal on our totally Star Wars filled day at DHS. There'll be lots of afternoon time in the pools at CBR, and QS meals will be most of our dining experiences.
Thank you to all of you for helping me with your advice and suggestions - you all are pretty darn awesome :love:

IMHO, concentrate on unique experiences although a picky eater in the group is a problem. You will have to review menus. Most of the food at WDW is okay but nothing to get worked up about.

But the suggestions of SciFi, Whispering Canyon are good. 50's Prime Time can be fun. Skipper's Canteen in MK is good but probably not for the picky eater. Look at the menu.

My son just stayed at CBR with his high school baseball team and really liked it and especially the pools and beach areas. I'm sure you're aware that the food court will be closed for renovations while you're there but they have set up some alternatives for grabbing food. I dont know what bevause son was there last month when food court was still opened.

SciFi is fun and unique. I think the food there is really good -your picky eater will have no problem. Plus you can let the kids sit in front seat of car and you and hubby back seat. (50's Prime Time really isnt that great- food is not tasty just large portions and the sassy waitresses really are no more.)

Tratorria is on the Boardwalk next to the Inn about a 5 minute Uber ride from your hotel. If you dont have a car
-which I find a completely unnessary expense if staying onsite and doing just Disney uber is an awesome inexpensive way to get places when you cannot take a direct bus from CBR. I was forced to use Mears taxi once last month it was expensive and he got "lost" trying to find the espn entrance.

If you are looking for a QS place to eat in the front part of EPCOT they have a very nice food court area inside The Land building where everyone will be able to find something they like. Sunshine Seasons. It's quick to get food, a nice assortment, inside air conditioning and you can linger at table and regroup a bit. Of course, there are tons of great options for every taste in World Showcase.

We only did one character meal per trip when the kids were younger, so that character breakfast at the Boardwalk should be enough.

The kids will love Sci-Fi! But if you have to do another QS at HS, go to Backlot Express as their food is all Star Wars themed (but still simple food).

Also - try the QS in the UK at Epcot. Fabulous fish and chips that you all can enjoy.

I don't think there are any "must do" restaurants - I would just recommend not making too many reservations (it really hampers flexibility). Plus, the day(s) you're at Epcot will be during Food & Wine (so you may want to spend at least one day noshing...)

If you are looking for the princesses (inc. Belle), breakfast at Akershus is great... and you get your picture taken with Belle on your way in. We went last week - got an 8 a.m. PPO Breakfast - had a great meal, met Belle (our favorite) and the other princesses and finished by 8:45 a.m. - we were able to walk right onto Frozen Ever After ride no wait (it was a 9 a.m. park opening day). Plus, we asked our server for Mickey Waffles - and, even though they aren't on the menu, they brought out a plate. We also liked the 8 a.m. PPO Breakfast at BOG (9 a.m. park opening day) - were able to ride SDMT twice before crowds and then short line to Peter Pan - plus had our pick of rooms and able to eat in the West Wing.

In addition to Touring Plans there is another ressie site - links posted here get blocked... but you can do an Internet search and find it - that's what I did. This one actually snagged me both of my 8 a.m. PPO breakfast reservations (the e-mail notification part of it).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter