First timer! Please ease my anxiety!

harleyquinn

<font color=red>Wishes she could take photos of th
Hi everyone!
I apologize for this somewhat silly thread, but I know you are the right people to come to!

I've been dreaming of a Disney Cruise for more than 20 years. I just booked our (Me, DH and DD12) first one for June on the Dream due to a price I couldn't pass up. I desperately want to go on this cruise, but I also am super anxious about it as it's something we've never done before.

I have General Anxiety Disorder and panic attacks. It's mostly under control but since booking yesterday I'm right on the edge. I'm not worried about Covid at all, so we can pretend that doesn't exist.

I'm really just looking for reassurance. I know we're safe and will have an amazing time. If you are like me and have successfully cruised, I would love to hear about it. If you are lucky enough to not be like me (;P) I'd still love any words of encouragement.

My first cruise I was literally crying on the way to the port not wanting to go. I too struggle with anxiety. My spouse forced me to go and now we are going on our 10th cruise - I LOVE IT. The ships are soo big that they don't feel claustrophic (which is horrible with anxiety). Smooth sailing, nice crew, my favorite vacation now!

My first cruise I was literally crying on the way to the port not wanting to go. I too struggle with anxiety. My spouse forced me to go and now we are going on our 10th cruise - I LOVE IT. The ships are soo big that they don't feel claustrophic (which is horrible with anxiety). Smooth sailing, nice crew, my favorite vacation now!
Thank you, that does make me feel better. I definitely want to go and have a LOT of happiness and excitement about it. I just have to get over my issues with the unknown. I'm working on that by researching the heck out of everything and reading a ton of articles about cruise anxiety. lol I will definitely also talk to my dr. and probably do some therapy sessions if I don't calm down over the next couple of days! I have more than 2 months to get myself in the right headspace!

If you have social anxiety as well you might want to request a private table for dinner. It’s not guaranteed but you can always put a request in. You can either call or use the contact us page on the DCL website.
It's funny, for the longest time I thought most of my anxiety was social, and I definitely do have that in certain situations. But I really like the idea of meeting new people and hope we have a table with another family with kids around my daughter's age.

It might be helpful for me to share what I'm actually anxious about since there are soooo many things it could be! This will be something I need to journal about as well.

I'm definitely worried about my DH and DD. All three of us feel the same as I do for different reasons. DH will be okay, but I worry about dealing with my worry on top of DDs worry. lol
I'm anxious about the port of Miami and getting on the ship, but I've been watching videos and I think that will help with that.
I'm anxious about traveling from Ohio to Miami. We're driving because flights are ridiculous right now. We're going to take 2 days (it's about 20 hours). We'll spend the first night with friends who live in SC and then probably stop at Disney World for a night at Disney Springs.

It's funny, for the longest time I thought most of my anxiety was social, and I definitely do have that in certain situations. But I really like the idea of meeting new people and hope we have a table with another family with kids around my daughter's age.

It might be helpful for me to share what I'm actually anxious about since there are soooo many things it could be! This will be something I need to journal about as well.

I'm definitely worried about my DH and DD. All three of us feel the same as I do for different reasons. DH will be okay, but I worry about dealing with my worry on top of DDs worry. lol
I'm anxious about the port of Miami and getting on the ship, but I've been watching videos and I think that will help with that.
I'm anxious about traveling from Ohio to Miami. We're driving because flights are ridiculous right now. We're going to take 2 days (it's about 20 hours). We'll spend the first night with friends who live in SC and then probably stop at Disney World for a night at Disney Springs.
Sounds like you know yourself and your family and you have a plan (research, travel, accommodations). Learn from others, like @DizMagic.

You're doing the right things--research everything. Watch videos, look at maps of the ship. Do 'street view" on Google maps to see what things look like on the ground for the port, etc. I do think you'll be able to relax and enjoy the ship it's the worries about everything leading to that point.

While I don't have your disorder, I don't like 'change' and doing new things/going new places is difficult. I also tend to worry about the "what ifs" after I've made a decision. We're doing Grand Cayman on our own as there were so few Disney port adventures listed, and none I wanted. I researched possibilities online, did Google street view to see what it would look like to walk places, etc. Knowledge is power! You've got this!

You might try watching YouTube videos by Adam Hattan. He’s a British vlogger who specializes in all things Disney. He and his friend Gary C, both have anxiety issues that occasionally pop up on his videos. I think he points out quieter places in the parks and aboard the ship for this reason.

You're doing the right things--research everything. Watch videos, look at maps of the ship. Do 'street view" on Google maps to see what things look like on the ground for the port, etc. I do think you'll be able to relax and enjoy the ship it's the worries about everything leading to that point.

While I don't have your disorder, I don't like 'change' and doing new things/going new places is difficult. I also tend to worry about the "what ifs" after I've made a decision. We're doing Grand Cayman on our own as there were so few Disney port adventures listed, and none I wanted. I researched possibilities online, did Google street view to see what it would look like to walk places, etc. Knowledge is power! You've got this!
We're also doing Grand Cayman and I don't like any of the port adventures so I've been doing the same as you! We're not beach people, so 7 Mile Beach doesn't appeal to me. We may just go walk around a bit and then get back on the ship. lol

Thank you all for the encouragement and ideas. I will definitely check out all the suggestions.

We're also doing Grand Cayman and I don't like any of the port adventures so I've been doing the same as you! We're not beach people, so 7 Mile Beach doesn't appeal to me. We may just go walk around a bit and then get back on the ship. lol

Thank you all for the encouragement and ideas. I will definitely check out all the suggestions.
Our 'nice day' plan is to walk to the bus depot (2 blocks from port) take a public bus (yellow bus #1) to the turtle center to visit that, then get on another yellow bus and go to Hell, then another yellow bus back to the bus depot. Looks like each bus journey would be $2.50/person from my research. My other possibility is to stay near port, visit the national museum and do a little shopping. We're on a Fantasy Western Caribbean cruise. Never been on the Dream/Fantasy (just the smaller Wonder/Magic). Never done the Caribbean or gone to Castaway Cay or had a verandah...all new stuff for us despite sailing DCL twice!

Congratulations on booking your first cruise! I think you will have a great time. As others have posted I’d research and watch a ton of YouTube videos so that way when you step onboard you feel like you have already been there before. My biggest anxiety with cruises is packing, I make sure to have extra of everything and a small first aid/medicine bag. It’s not like you can stop by the nearest cvs and pick up what your forgot. There’s a small selection of items onboard to buy but it’s just not the same. I wish you happy planning and researching on your first cruise. We have sailed out of Miami many times, it’s easy to navigate and a beautiful view of the Miami skyline as you sail out to sea.

I literally never sleep a wink the night before a cruise from the nerves. But once you are on the ship watching the ocean waves, it is so heavenly all the cares melt away. It’s paradise—you’ll love it!

You got this! As someone who battles anxiety, with a full family that does too, remember that the best treatment for anxiety is doing the things that cause anxiety. It builds confidence and teaches your brain that it is ok to do challenging things.

My wife had similar concerns for our first cruise. In fact, the first night she was asking if we could book a flight home from the first port after we all got super seasick (see below), but things looked better the next day and it turned into one of our favorite trips. We sailed again a few years later and have two sailings booked right now. For people with general anxiety, it is the least stressful way to travel, in my opinion. Once you are on the ship, everything is taken care of for you and you don't need to think about a thing. You don't need to worry about getting anywhere via transportation, if the accommodations will be nice, if the restaurant you pick will be good, etc. You unpack once, in a nice room, and wake up each day in a new location. And just watching the sea is calming. The ship feels huge and there is plenty of space for everyone if you need quiet time. Because my job is high-stress, I would love to take a cruise every year just to unwind.

FYI on the seasickness, we took a wait-and-see approach on our first cruise and it turned out to be a mistake. All, except my youngest, were so sick we could barely sit through dinner. It was absolutely miserable. But we took Bonine (Meclizine), and the next day we felt great. Now, we take it the morning we are boarding, and for the first few days, then we find we don't need it the rest of the cruise because our bodies have adjusted. I think my wife only takes half a dose. It's just something to consider, so you don't add any additional stress.

Last edited:
Prior to my first cruise (back in 2012), I think I was sort of in your shoes. I had been dreaming of going on a Disney Cruise, but hadn't made it out yet. I struggled with depression and anxiety more severely then and was especially nervous about being on the ship. The rooms are so small, would I get sick of my traveling partner? Turns out, no, because even through the rooms were small, there was plenty of room for both me and my buddy to get ready without stepping on each other. Would I get sea sick? Okay, I got a little seasick, but everyone was super helpful about it, then guest services gave me some Dramamine or whatever they keep on hand and that was done. Would I feel cramped on the boat when we weren't at port? No, absolutely not. There was plenty of room on the ship and plenty of activities so nothing was too crowded. Specifically with the anxiety, because I am also anxious, shy, and introverted, I was super worried about sharing a dining table with other groups. But Disney puts a lot of effort into "match making" their dining tables. I've been on 7 cruises with Disney now and the other people at the dining table have all been delightful. It's now become one of my favorite parts of the cruise.

Anyways, TLDR: I walked away with a sense that whatever my concerns were, Disney had thought through and really ironed out any pitfalls to make sure everyone had a good time. Cast members are always close by and willing to help. I hope you have a great time and let us know how it went!

Our 'nice day' plan is to walk to the bus depot (2 blocks from port) take a public bus (yellow bus #1) to the turtle center to visit that, then get on another yellow bus and go to Hell, then another yellow bus back to the bus depot. Looks like each bus journey would be $2.50/person from my research. My other possibility is to stay near port, visit the national museum and do a little shopping. We're on a Fantasy Western Caribbean cruise. Never been on the Dream/Fantasy (just the smaller Wonder/Magic). Never done the Caribbean or gone to Castaway Cay or had a verandah...all new stuff for us despite sailing DCL twice!
I need to look more into the National Museum since DH mentioned that. Thanks for sharing your plan!

Congratulations on booking your first cruise! I think you will have a great time. As others have posted I’d research and watch a ton of YouTube videos so that way when you step onboard you feel like you have already been there before. My biggest anxiety with cruises is packing, I make sure to have extra of everything and a small first aid/medicine bag. It’s not like you can stop by the nearest cvs and pick up what your forgot. There’s a small selection of items onboard to buy but it’s just not the same. I wish you happy planning and researching on your first cruise. We have sailed out of Miami many times, it’s easy to navigate and a beautiful view of the Miami skyline as you sail out to sea.
The good thing about packing is that is how we pack for Disney, like we have no access to the outside world. I already have my medical bag packed for our August Disney World Trip! ;P Reading other reports of Miami, it sounds like it should be a good experience. Thank you!

You got this! As someone who battles anxiety, with a full family that does too, remember that the best treatment for anxiety is doing the things that cause anxiety. It builds confidence and teaches your brain that it is ok to do challenging things.

My wife had similar concerns for our first cruise. In fact, the first night she was asking if we could book a flight home from the first port after we all got super seasick (see below), but things looked better the next day and it turned into one of our favorite trips. We sailed again a few years later and have two sailings booked right now. For people with general anxiety, it is the least stressful way to travel, in my opinion. Once you are on the ship, everything is taken care of for you and you don't need to think about a thing. You don't need to worry about getting anywhere via transportation, if the accommodations will be nice, if the restaurant you pick will be good, etc. You unpack once, in a nice room, and wake up each day in a new location. And just watching the sea is calming. The ship feels huge and there is plenty of space for everyone if you need quiet time. Because my job is high-stress, I would love to take a cruise every year just to unwind.

FYI on the seasickness, we took a wait-and-see approach on our first cruise and it turned out to be a mistake. All, except my youngest, were so sick we could barely sit through dinner. It was absolutely miserable. But we took Bonine (Meclizine), and the next day we felt great. Now, we take it the morning we are boarding, and for the first few days, then we find we don't need it the rest of the cruise because our bodies have adjusted. I think my wife only takes half a dose. It's just something to consider, so you don't add any additional stress.
Your first sentence really hits home, because it's what I told DD when she initially said, no way to the cruise. But I went through her fears one by one and showed her evidence. I need to work through that myself!

That's all I do in Grand Cayman! It's a beautiful place and we always feel quite safe there. Walk around, shop, take pictures, etc. Go back to the ship for lunch. :)

Hi everyone!
I apologize for this somewhat silly thread, but I know you are the right people to come to!

I've been dreaming of a Disney Cruise for more than 20 years. I just booked our (Me, DH and DD12) first one for June on the Dream due to a price I couldn't pass up. I desperately want to go on this cruise, but I also am super anxious about it as it's something we've never done before.

I have General Anxiety Disorder and panic attacks. It's mostly under control but since booking yesterday I'm right on the edge. I'm not worried about Covid at all, so we can pretend that doesn't exist.

I'm really just looking for reassurance. I know we're safe and will have an amazing time. If you are like me and have successfully cruised, I would love to hear about it. If you are lucky enough to not be like me (;P) I'd still love any words of encouragement.
Even if all you do is sleep, and lounge, and eat, you're going to have an amazing time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter