First timer! Please ease my anxiety!

I think you will all have a wonderful time! Is your daughter more concerned with the “spaces” on the ship, or meeting other kids? The kids spaces are large and spread out. She will have the freedom to spend time in a variety of environments. If she gets overwhelmed, cast members can call you, so she can leave and take a break. The trick to meeting kids is to visit the kids clubs during open house after you board the ship. Everyone is getting used to the clubs, and my kids have met quite a few kids before the cruise even leaves the pier. It is also a good idea to spend a little time in there after dinner the first night. Disney has done a great job with sitting us with other families with kids. Our situation is a little difficult since our kids are almost 7 years apart, but we have been matched well. Many times our kids would leave with the other kids to return to the kids clubs after dinner. 😃 Ther are many quiet places to relax on the ship. My favorite is the loungers on the “track“ that goes around the outside of the ship..

I think you will all have a wonderful time! Is your daughter more concerned with the “spaces” on the ship, or meeting other kids? The kids spaces are large and spread out. She will have the freedom to spend time in a variety of environments. If she gets overwhelmed, cast members can call you, so she can leave and take a break. The trick to meeting kids is to visit the kids clubs during open house after you board the ship. Everyone is getting used to the clubs, and my kids have met quite a few kids before the cruise even leaves the pier. It is also a good idea to spend a little time in there after dinner the first night. Disney has done a great job with sitting us with other families with kids. Our situation is a little difficult since our kids are almost 7 years apart, but we have been matched well. Many times our kids would leave with the other kids to return to the kids clubs after dinner. 😃 Ther are many quiet places to relax on the ship. My favorite is the loungers on the “track“ that goes around the outside of the ship..
She’s more worried about the stereotypical cruise fears like the Titanic. Lol We’ve worked through those fears, but now we’re moving on to more of the things you mention. I’m so so glad that we get to go to the Open Houses at all the kids areas. She turns 13 a month after we sail, so I’m so happy she’ll get to experience everything even if she thinks some of it is lame.

Your advice and perspective is so helpful. I really appreciate it!

She’s more worried about the stereotypical cruise fears like the Titanic. Lol We’ve worked through those fears, but now we’re moving on to more of the things you mention. I’m so so glad that we get to go to the Open Houses at all the kids areas. She turns 13 a month after we sail, so I’m so happy she’ll get to experience everything even if she thinks some of it is lame.

Your advice and perspective is so helpful. I really appreciate it!
To add another perspective, my kids do not care for the clubs whatsoever and I'm 100% okay with that. I know many families speak very highly of them, and the cast members do a great job, but they're just not for everyone. Our family likes to spend our vacation time together as much as possible, we don't see the big appeal of splitting off with kids going one way and parents going the other. I also don't really get the appeal of doing a ton of indoor activities when you're sailing in the middle of the Caribbean and it's 83 degrees and sunny outside. We spend the vast majority of our onboard time outside of meals poolside.

I know I'm the exception to the rule here, and you should absolutely encourage her to try the clubs, even if it's outside her comfort zone. Just know that the whole trip isn't going to be a disaster in the event that she decides it's not for her.

So I'll share my story hoping it will help. I've always been anxious about random things. I always said I would never ever take a cruise. Some of it was thinking I wouldn't want to be stuck on a ship. Honestly though it was more anxiety driven. I don't like loud "alarm" sounds and I worried about the muster drill. I worried about being on the open ocean (elementary school titanic exhibit field trip might be to blame), etc.

A few years ago though I read a couple blogs about Disney cruises and we are huge Disney parks fans mainly going to Disneyland. We were looking to plan an epic family vacation as a surprise for my kids for Christmas and my wife wanted to do something new. I had read enough about DCL that I opened myself up to considering it and we decided to go for a 5 night Marvel Day at Sea cruise on the Magic out of Miami in early Jan 2020.

I did a lot of research ahead of time. I found out how the muster drill worked (it was no big deal and even less so post return to cruising), I learned all about DCL. I was ready. I will admit when the big day finally came and we got onboard I was a little overwhelmed. I started to wonder if I made the right choice. We had swimsuits in our carryons and changed to enjoy the pool deck right after boarding. I remember deciding I wanted to try the Aquadunk. I distinctly remember the second I went down the slide it was like I left all my worries and anxiety at the top of the slide. It was a super fun slide and put me in vacation mode.

From that moment on I enjoyed every minute of our cruise. I ended up loving being on the open ocean at night and seeing the stars and moon with nothing else around. Far from having anxiety or worry like I feared I actually found it super peaceful and relaxing. I loved the feel of the ship rocking me to sleep. My fears of seasickness (I am motion sensitive) were no big deal, I did wear sea bands but that was it and it was never an issue. Several on board commented we hit some rocky seas at a couple points but I actually thought it was fun walking down the hall when we did.

I am so glad I gave it a go because all my anxiety and worry was for not. I absolutely had a complete turn around and fell in love with cruising. Of course I discovered it in Jan 2020 so despite booking my next cruise right after we got off it took a while to get back. We ended up on the first cruise back of the Wonder from San Diego. It was awesome Covid protocols and all. I'm super excited we ended up being able to do a bonus cruise on the Dream for our spring break. Only 14 days left until we board, I'm super excited! We have another one booked for Fall break on the Fantasy. That is my biggest warning you may get bit by the bug, I certainly did!

Now I realize everyone is different and anxiety is a complex thing but when you posted I wanted to share to let you know I had all the worries and I'm so glad I gave it a shot and discovered my love for cruising. Really hope the same can happen for you!

That one's easy. Since you'll be in the Caribbean, the odds of running into an iceberg are pretty slim. :D
That’s exactly what I told her. We also pulled up the live map of all the ships to show her how close they all are if there was an emergency.

To add another perspective, my kids do not care for the clubs whatsoever and I'm 100% okay with that. I know many families speak very highly of them, and the cast members do a great job, but they're just not for everyone. Our family likes to spend our vacation time together as much as possible, we don't see the big appeal of splitting off with kids going one way and parents going the other. I also don't really get the appeal of doing a ton of indoor activities when you're sailing in the middle of the Caribbean and it's 83 degrees and sunny outside. We spend the vast majority of our onboard time outside of meals poolside.

I know I'm the exception to the rule here, and you should absolutely encourage her to try the clubs, even if it's outside her comfort zone. Just know that the whole trip isn't going to be a disaster in the event that she decides it's not for her.
We are totally prepared for this to happen. I don’t think she’s going to want to spend very much time there. She wants to be an animator someday and the Dream apparently has an animation aspect to one of the kids things, so I know she’ll spend some time there and at least mess around with the Star Wars stuff. I fully expect her to spend the vast majority of the time with us and that makes me happy. I foresee us doing a lot of the family activity offerings, because they are right up our alley!
So I'll share my story hoping it will help. I've always been anxious about random things. I always said I would never ever take a cruise. Some of it was thinking I wouldn't want to be stuck on a ship. Honestly though it was more anxiety driven. I don't like loud "alarm" sounds and I worried about the muster drill. I worried about being on the open ocean (elementary school titanic exhibit field trip might be to blame), etc.

A few years ago though I read a couple blogs about Disney cruises and we are huge Disney parks fans mainly going to Disneyland. We were looking to plan an epic family vacation as a surprise for my kids for Christmas and my wife wanted to do something new. I had read enough about DCL that I opened myself up to considering it and we decided to go for a 5 night Marvel Day at Sea cruise on the Magic out of Miami in early Jan 2020.

I did a lot of research ahead of time. I found out how the muster drill worked (it was no big deal and even less so post return to cruising), I learned all about DCL. I was ready. I will admit when the big day finally came and we got onboard I was a little overwhelmed. I started to wonder if I made the right choice. We had swimsuits in our carryons and changed to enjoy the pool deck right after boarding. I remember deciding I wanted to try the Aquadunk. I distinctly remember the second I went down the slide it was like I left all my worries and anxiety at the top of the slide. It was a super fun slide and put me in vacation mode.

From that moment on I enjoyed every minute of our cruise. I ended up loving being on the open ocean at night and seeing the stars and moon with nothing else around. Far from having anxiety or worry like I feared I actually found it super peaceful and relaxing. I loved the feel of the ship rocking me to sleep. My fears of seasickness (I am motion sensitive) were no big deal, I did wear sea bands but that was it and it was never an issue. Several on board commented we hit some rocky seas at a couple points but I actually thought it was fun walking down the hall when we did.

I am so glad I gave it a go because all my anxiety and worry was for not. I absolutely had a complete turn around and fell in love with cruising. Of course I discovered it in Jan 2020 so despite booking my next cruise right after we got off it took a while to get back. We ended up on the first cruise back of the Wonder from San Diego. It was awesome Covid protocols and all. I'm super excited we ended up being able to do a bonus cruise on the Dream for our spring break. Only 14 days left until we board, I'm super excited! We have another one booked for Fall break on the Fantasy. That is my biggest warning you may get bit by the bug, I certainly did!

Now I realize everyone is different and anxiety is a complex thing but when you posted I wanted to share to let you know I had all the worries and I'm so glad I gave it a shot and discovered my love for cruising. Really hope the same can happen for you!
Thank you so so much for writing that all out. It does help to hear your experience and I really hope I end up experiencing the same! i hope you love the Dream, especially since that’s the ship we’ll be on this summer!!

There will be a ton of security at the port who will be more than happy to help you figure it out as you get there and move through. We were really worried about this the first time we cruised and it was so easy once we actually got there. Just don't be afraid to ask for help.

I'm anxious about the port of Miami and getting on the ship, but I've been watching videos and I think that will help with that.

I was sure I was going to HATE cruising, a combination of anxiety and fear of boredom. We started with a 4 day, I loved it so much I cried when we had to get off.
Hi everyone!
I apologize for this somewhat silly thread, but I know you are the right people to come to!

I've been dreaming of a Disney Cruise for more than 20 years. I just booked our (Me, DH and DD12) first one for June on the Dream due to a price I couldn't pass up. I desperately want to go on this cruise, but I also am super anxious about it as it's something we've never done before.

I have General Anxiety Disorder and panic attacks. It's mostly under control but since booking yesterday I'm right on the edge. I'm not worried about Covid at all, so we can pretend that doesn't exist.

I'm really just looking for reassurance. I know we're safe and will have an amazing time. If you are like me and have successfully cruised, I would love to hear about it. If you are lucky enough to not be like me (;P) I'd still love any words of encouragement.

If your daughter has any concerns or questions about Oceaneers or Edge, please let me know and I will do my best to help :)

Hi everyone!
I apologize for this somewhat silly thread, but I know you are the right people to come to!

I've been dreaming of a Disney Cruise for more than 20 years. I just booked our (Me, DH and DD12) first one for June on the Dream due to a price I couldn't pass up. I desperately want to go on this cruise, but I also am super anxious about it as it's something we've never done before.

I have General Anxiety Disorder and panic attacks. It's mostly under control but since booking yesterday I'm right on the edge. I'm not worried about Covid at all, so we can pretend that doesn't exist.

I'm really just looking for reassurance. I know we're safe and will have an amazing time. If you are like me and have successfully cruised, I would love to hear about it. If you are lucky enough to not be like me (;P) I'd still love any words of encouragement.
May seem crazy but I am terrified of the ocean. When I think about the water and depth/darkness I have panic attacks.
Cruising is one of my favorite vacations. The ship is large enough that I don't think about it once on board, and I don't go outside at night (that's when it's the worst).
You never know what is going on in people's minds, but I guarantee you you're not alone.

Doesn't sound crazy to me I have nightmares about sea dragons, or being in tiny boats and running into giant sharks or whales, or fiction level giant octopuses.

Still, cruising is my favorite vacation.
May seem crazy but I am terrified of the ocean. When I think about the water and depth/darkness I have panic attacks.
Cruising is one of my favorite vacations. The ship is large enough that I don't think about it once on board, and I don't go outside at night (that's when it's the worst).
You never know what is going on in people's minds, but I guarantee you you're not alone.

Thank you all so so much. I’m feeling WAY better about just about every aspect of the trip. I’ve watched so many YouTube videos that I practically feel like we already went!
I am a bit bummed about the cabin. I booked a GTY that’s a 6B so it looks like we’ll be alll the way aft with the potential for some noise from one of the clubs and thrusters and such. I would have liked to have been closer to mid ship for our first cruise, but meh, Im not too worried. I already have sea bands and I’ll get a few other things as well.

You all really rock!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter