• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First Time Cruiser... A few questions.

nat8199

DIS Veteran
I am looking to take my family on a Disney Cruise for the first time March 2018. It is the Star Wars cruise on Fantasy out of Cape Canaveral. I have never booked a Disney cruise, and have a lot of questions.

1) It looks like I will have to book this the October 2016, so just a few months away! Does booking on the opening day get you cheaper prices? Since we are a family of 5 we are limited in room choices, and are also considering Concierge level if it isn't too much more.

2) If we use Dreams Unlimited, can they do an opening day booking? Can they do concierge level?

3) The kids will be 7, 7, and 8... Any advice on the timing of this trip and life on board?

Thanks so much.

I am looking to take my family on a Disney Cruise for the first time March 2018. It is the Star Wars cruise on Fantasy out of Cape Canaveral. I have never booked a Disney cruise, and have a lot of questions.

1) It looks like I will have to book this the October 2016, so just a few months away! Does booking on the opening day get you cheaper prices? Since we are a family of 5 we are limited in room choices, and are also considering Concierge level if it isn't too much more.

2) If we use Dreams Unlimited, can they do an opening day booking? Can they do concierge level?

3) The kids will be 7, 7, and 8... Any advice on the timing of this trip and life on board?

Thanks so much.
1) DCL, as many other cruise lines, typically doesn't lower prices. When bookings on a ship start filling, the prices rise as the space fills. Now, occasionally, if a particular cruise isn't selling well, DCL may offer last minute restricted fares. They usually appear after the Paid in Full date, and only last as long as it takes to fill the necessary percentage of rooms that they want filled at that time. Also, while the price may be lower than the prevailing rate, the fare is usually higher than the same cruise would have been on opening day. Concierge is the most costly fare in the system.

2) Yes and Yes.

Thanks so much.
I'll add a couple things on to what PP poster said.

Room Choices: You may want to consider 2 connecting inside cabins as opposed to 1 verandah that sleeps 5. For our family of 4, all of our cruises except 1 were in connecting insides instead of all of us in 1 cabin, having the extra space is huge for us.

Booking: I don't think DCL has released when they are starting bookings for 2018 so it may not be October. Also, it may not be a Star Wars cruise, so please don't get your heart set on that.

Life on Board: just kick back and relax spending time with your family. Turn off your phones and avoid email and social media for the week, spend time living in the moment, take naps, read, play trivia and let yourself be a kid.

I truly hope you enjoy your cruise, they are a great way to vacation. I also hope you've got lots of money, because they are sooo addictive!!!!

Hi Nat8199! You'll love your first cruise! My son is 8 and cruising is one of our fave family trips. There's lots to keep kids happy on board.

There are kids' only activities scheduled in the Oceaneer Lab/Club like character visits, cooking, games, etc., and these run throughout the day. You'll get a Navigator listing all ship events daily, or use the app https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/navigator-app/about-the-app/. Whatever you get up to really depends on your kids' interests, and whether or not they are early/late kids.

Movies run throughout the day in the cinema, there's two showings of the big productions that alternate with the dining seatings (of 5:45pm and 8-ish.. we always use the first one so I'm not sure if it's 7:45 or 8:15 for second seating). Kids Club is open until 10pm, and they have a "Dine & Play" option where the counsellors come and pick your kids up from the dining room to go to the club (your kids' meals are "expedited" if you tell your server) so the adults can do the rest of the meal without kids. Dinner times are pre-booked but if you don't get what you want, go to the dining room on Deck 3 - Royal Court - and ask them to change for you.

My husband and I always schedule at least one spa session and send out kiddo to the Kids' club. On our last trip we bought daily access to the Rainforest room in the Senses Spa (like DIY spa - heaven), but found that we rushed around a bit too much each to get it done and make it worth the value, especially if our son wasn't in the child care program and needed to be with one of us.

There are several places to relax for adults - make sure you coordinate schedules so you get time off too! We also liked activities such as towel folding, racing paper airplanes, and the Midship Detective Agency as a family. Characters show up in different costumes than in the parks, and in different outfits on the ship. You can plan who you're going to see using the Navigator. And the wait times are so much more manageable compared to the parks. There's also a Princess photo opportunity for an extra fee that is really popular.

If you have kids that like to hang out on deck, there's movies on the funnel vision, and food & beverages available on the pool deck level. However, we found that on every cruise we've been on, there's been pool "foulings" repeatedly - at least daily - which is a risk for tummy bugs. Oh, and one thing I didn't realize until after our first cruise, the kids' club also has a supervised area on Castaway Cay if you want to take off and enjoy the adult areas of the island.

We missed out on a Star Wars sailing by 2 weeks (grrrr) but I have a friend who did it. So if you want specific Star Wars info, I can source that out for you! Have a fantastic time!!

Last edited:

Hi Nat8199! You'll love your first cruise! My son is 8 and cruising is one of our fave family trips. There's lots to keep kids happy on board. There are kids' only activities scheduled in the Oceaneer Lab/Club like character visits, cooking, games, etc,. and these run throughout the day. You'll get a Navigator listing all ship events daily, or use the app https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/navigator-app/about-the-app/. Whatever you get up to really depends on your kids' interests, and whether or not they are early/late kids. Movies run throughout the day in the cinema, there's two showings of the big productions that alternate with the dining seatings (of 5:45pm and 8-ish.. we always use the first one so I'm not sure if it's 7:45 or 8:15 for second seating). Kids Club is open until 10pm, and they have a "Dine & Play" option where the counsellors come and pick your kids up from the dining room to go to the club (your kids' meals are "expedited" if you tell your server) so the adults can do the rest of the meal without kids. Dinner times are pre-booked but if you don't get what you want, go to the dining room on Deck 3 - Royal Court - and ask them to change for you. My husband and I always schedule at least one spa session and send out kiddo to the Kids' club. On our last trip we bought daily access to the Rainforest room in the Senses Spa (like DIY spa - heaven), but found that we rushed around a bit too much each to get it done and make it worth the value, especially if our son wasn't in the child care program and needed to be with one of us. There are several places to relax for adults - make sure you coordinate schedules so you get time off too! We also liked activities such as towel folding, racing paper airplanes, and the Midship Detective Agency as a family. Characters show up in different costumes than in the parks, and in different outfits on the ship. You can plan who you're going to see using the Navigator. And the wait times are so much more manageable compared to the parks. There's also a Princess photo opportunity for an extra fee that is really popular. If you have kids that like to hang out on deck, there's movies on the funnel vision, and food & beverages available on the pool deck level. However, we found that on every cruise we've been on, there's been pool "foulings" repeatedly - at least daily - which is a risk for tummy bugs. Oh, and one thing I didn't realize until after our first cruise, the kids' club also has a supervised area on Castaway Cay if you want to take off and enjoy the adult areas of the island. We missed out on a Star Wars sailing by 2 weeks (grrrr) but I have a friend who did it. So if you want specific Star Wars info, I can source that out for you! Have a fantastic time!!
:offtopic:, sorry. But, in the future can you put some paragraph spacing in your posts. Big blocks of words are difficult to read.

Now, back to our regular programming. As noted, DCL hasn't announce their 2018 itineraries yet, much less which, if any, will be Star Wars cruises. I'd suggest you just pick the cruise that appeals to you once the itineraries are released, and hope it will be one of the Star Wars ones.

Thanks so much.

1) - Generally, yes. We booked on the first day and within a week our rooms went up $20. After only 10 months, those rooms (4A) that we booked are $1700 more than on opening day. So yes, book within the first week, if you can.

2) - Don't have any information, but if other posts are correct, then I'd say yes. Contact them ahead of time and find an agent you want to work with, then get him/her to watch for that opening day and contact you. One thing, Concierge requires a non-refundable deposit, while all other classes have refundable deposits, so if you aren't sure and can't lose the deposit, Concierge isn't the way to go.

Also, consider whether two connecting lower class rooms would be more suitable for your needs. We looked at concierge, but we really wanted the space that the 4As would give us. Concierge is great, but there's still only one queen bed and some pull out beds. With two 4As, we were close to the price of a Concierge room, but we get twice the queens and plenty of other beds for our guys to spread out in. So maybe have your agent price out the Concierge you want, as well as two connecting rooms of another class, so you have some choice.

3) Sounds like your kids are at the right age to have a blast in the kids clubs. ;)

I would point out too (if no one else has - I admit I've just skimmed through the above posts) that "opening day" for a newbie to Disney Cruise Line is the day after the Gold and Platinum Castaway Club members get exclusive opportunities to book. Very popular cruises fill up quickly, and some room categories will sell out on the gold/platinum opening day!

Thank you all!

We are really only looking to do a Star Wars cruise, so if they are not available during my kids' spring break, then I am going to have to research a different vacation. The more I read about Disney cruises, though, the better they sound.

I did not know that about first time cruisers! Thank you for explaining.

This is a whole new world for me, so thanks for answering my questions. I am going to keep researching and reading this board.

Do yourself a BIG favor and get the Passporter DCL book.

IT was INVALUABLE to us on our first cruise--answered a lot of questions and then we used these boards to fine tune things and ask particular questions.

A couple other thoughts.

1 DCL announced SWDAS cruises well after the actual cruises were released. If they do that again, there will be no SWDAS options. However, you can still book a cruise hoping it will have Star Wars and then cancel later. Assuming you don't book concierge, your deposit will be refundable. Typically, prices jump after a cruise gets the SWDAS designation, so booking before that is announced could really save you money.

2. While a Cat V in concierge sleeps 5, I'd recommend a lower category. The beds in concierge are a queen, a pullout full, and a drop down bunk. A Cat T has a queen, pullout full, and Murphy bed. So, two of your kids would share. In regular verandah rooms, you'd have a queen and 3 singles (bunk beds and a Murphy.) This is coming from someone who loves concierge. I wouldn't put more than 4 in those rooms because of the beds.

Good luck and feel free to ask questions!

Thanks so much.
If you have to have a Star Wars cruise, I would book what is currently available. No guarantee that they will still offer SW cruises in two years, and typically they don't label special sailings as such until closer to the sail date. For example, the Merrytime Cruise dates aren't yet out for 2017, though the sailings themselves are.

Check current prices to get an idea for how much a concierge sailing at the time of year you want would cost. Expect the opening 2018 prices to be in the same ballpark. DCL prices used to start out lower & then rise quite a bit over time, but lately there's been more of a trend (at least for the more popular cruises) of prices starting high and staying high until a few months before the cruise, when (after the paid in full date for those who booked early) if the ship isn't full, restricted category discounts might be offered.

Last edited:
Good point about the SW cruises. Ours was just a regular cruise and they made it a Star Wars cruise about 4 months later. The room went up about $1000 after that. I agree. Book a spring cruise on the Fantasy and hope. You could even book two different ones, maybe an eastern and a western, then cancel whichever you don't want once any announcements are made.

While it's not guaranteed that concierge will be available, you could book, say a 4A on opening day and then 4 months later change to concierge (if available) once you've decided that's the cruise you want. The concierge upgrade would be at the price of the day you booked your 4A, not the list price of that day, because you are upgrading, not booking anew. The up side is that it gives you time to decide what you want with a refundable deposit. The down side is there may not be the concierge room or the one you want available. It's a gamble.

I don't mean to confuse you. No matter what, if you're planning on using a TA, you should be looking for someone you like now. That way, when the cruises are announced, you are better prepared to move forward if you want. A good TA will be able to help you with decisions, even before the cruises are announced, as well. If they don't, they're not the TA for you. Get someone who is helpful to you.

Good point about the SW cruises. Ours was just a regular cruise and they made it a Star Wars cruise about 4 months later. The room went up about $1000 after that. I agree. Book a spring cruise on the Fantasy and hope. You could even book two different ones, maybe an eastern and a western, then cancel whichever you don't want once any announcements are made.

While it's not guaranteed that concierge will be available, you could book, say a 4A on opening day and then 4 months later change to concierge (if available) once you've decided that's the cruise you want. The concierge upgrade would be at the price of the day you booked your 4A, not the list price of that day, because you are upgrading, not booking anew. The up side is that it gives you time to decide what you want with a refundable deposit. The down side is there may not be the concierge room or the one you want available. It's a gamble.

I don't mean to confuse you. No matter what, if you're planning on using a TA, you should be looking for someone you like now. That way, when the cruises are announced, you are better prepared to move forward if you want. A good TA will be able to help you with decisions, even before the cruises are announced, as well. If they don't, they're not the TA for you. Get someone who is helpful to you.
Wow. This explains so much. Thank you! I am really going to have to consider our options. So much to research!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter