First Offsite Trip...Help

So...if I rent a room from Sheraton Vistana, Hilton Grand, Floridays, Bluegreen...etc, I would be renting direct from the resort correct?

These are condos that the resort owns and sets aside strictly for rental?

If I am under no obligation to attend a TS tour and it's strictly a matter of washing the towels ourselves then I think this is the route I will take.

No I just have to decide on a resort... I love the look of "Fountains" but I have time yet before I have to book.

It's not that they have specific units labeled as rentals. It's more like they already know they will not be at 100% occupancy so why have them sit empty? Timeshare owners don't always own the same exact unit. Some do, but not all. Some float. Even then, owners own 1 week, the other 51 weeks are for other owners or up for rent.

You think $116 a night for the Fountains is "reasonable," but I can stay there for less -- from a Timeshare perspective, $116 a night is pricey.

How do you find out about lower prices than that?

I can tell you one downside to the huge pool at the Fountains with the big slides and the zero entry and all -- it's isn't heated.

Thanks for the heads-up! How cool do you think it will be in late April/Early May?

How do you find out about lower prices than that?

As a Timeshare owner, I can trade my TS for another TS and often get a better deal than renting from the corporation (although I can't do that to get into the Fountains anymore). I also have an RCI membership through my TS, which gets me better cash deals than BG's prices. And I know a lot of other TS owners who'll rent points to me cheaply -- lower risk than renting from a stranger. Or at least it feels that way. ;)

Thanks for the heads-up! How cool do you think it will be in late April/Early May?

We were there at that exact time! :) However, it was 2010; right after that unusually cold winter where birds were falling out of the trees and whatnot. :scared1: The kids did go swimming in the big pool and enjoyed the slide and all, but middle daughter thought it was way too cold as did hubby, so it was only the one time. The boys didn't seem to mind the cold but we were in the older buildings so much closer to the indoor/outdoor pool anyhow. Every time we went by the big pool there were a few people happily swimming in it, but most people were sticking with the heated one.

It had been unusually cold right up to around the time we got there, or at least I was told by a couple of CMs toward the middle of the week that they were glad the temps were finally getting back to normal. I preferred the cooler weather when we first go there, myself. :p Anyhow, I would guess in a "normal" year, the big pool in early May would be fine for people who don't mind unheated pools in general. If it's been cold recently, not so much.

As a Timeshare owner, I can trade my TS for another TS and often get a better deal than renting from the corporation (although I can't do that to get into the Fountains anymore). I also have an RCI membership through my TS, which gets me better cash deals than BG's prices. And I know a lot of other TS owners who'll rent points to me cheaply -- lower risk than renting from a stranger. Or at least it feels that way. ;)

I don't know of anyone to rent from but I do belong to RCI and their Extra Vacations can be awesome deals, especially during off peak times. At least they used to be. (Lately most vacations have been cruises, not TSs.)
In 2006 we got a 2BR at Hilton Grand Vac Club Sea World for $404 for the week! :eek: Our kids had a 4 day weekend that Sept for Jewish holidays so we couldn't stay the full 7 nts but even 4 or 5 nts it's still a bargain.

We were there at that exact time! :) However, it was 2010; right after that unusually cold winter where birds were falling out of the trees and whatnot. :scared1: The kids did go swimming in the big pool and enjoyed the slide and all, but middle daughter thought it was way too cold as did hubby, so it was only the one time. The boys didn't seem to mind the cold but we were in the older buildings so much closer to the indoor/outdoor pool anyhow. Every time we went by the big pool there were a few people happily swimming in it, but most people were sticking with the heated one.

It had been unusually cold right up to around the time we got there, or at least I was told by a couple of CMs toward the middle of the week that they were glad the temps were finally getting back to normal. I preferred the cooler weather when we first go there, myself. :p Anyhow, I would guess in a "normal" year, the big pool in early May would be fine for people who don't mind unheated pools in general. If it's been cold recently, not so much.

We have been both times of year and I would DEFINITELY vote for early May! In late Apr they have "Grad Week" where lots of HS senior trips are in the parks and on Grad night and the MK stays open to the HS kids all night. Our kids were still in strollers at the time and it seemed like way too many wild, unsupervised kids. Nothing really awful but one was running and didn't see our kids in the double stroller :rolleyes: and almost stepped on them. Luckily he did a quick leap over the whole stroller and kept going but nothing resembling an apology or even an "oops, excuse me". Just a lot of minor annoyancess that kids probably wouldn't be doing if their parents were there. (spitting, cursing, etc.)
OTOH, early May was BEAU-TI-FUL!! Kids all over the country are still in school so it's not crowded. It's warm but not yet hot & muggy. Plenty warm enough for water parks. If I could go anytime of year, the week ending on Mother's Day would be it. :lovestruc Now that my kids are past the elementary school age, they can't miss a week of school without major damage so that week is out for us.

I'm still learning about the differences between timeshare rental and vacation home rental? If I book say "Sheraton Vistana" or "Floridays"...I would be renting direct from the resort? not an owner?
What are the major differences from booking a regular hotel like "Staybridge"?
Is it just less housekeeping? I don't think I quite get it.

For example...the "Bluegreen Fountains" look absolutely amazing 2BR, 2BTH, huge, huge pool...and it's only $116 per night? How can it be so reasonable?
Is it mandatory to attend these sales seminars when you just rent?

The biggest difference between a Timeshare Rental and Vacation Home Rental is from the owners point of view. As a timeshare owner, I own a 1/52 interest in a specific unit at a specific resort. I pay a maintenance fee to a management company to maintain the unit, provide housekeeping, security, and common amenities. A Vacation Home has a single owner for the entire property who (usually) pays a management company to look after renting the unit and maintenance, and pays condo or association fees for any common elements and security.

From the renters view, with timeshare resorts the developer/management company often holds a stock of unsold inventory that they are allowed to rent to the general public. Many (like Sheraton) run this like a hotel operation. If you rent from Sheraton directly for Vistana for example, you can get daily housekeeping and free shuttles (or pay less for the standard mid-week housekeeping/towel refresh) which makes it very close to a hotel stay, but with a lot more space, bathrooms, cooking and laundry facilities than you will find in a suite hotel.

One thing though is to watch the fine print on very cheap "special packages" from a developer; they may require a timeshare presentation. Not that that is a necessarily a bad thing; if you are willing to give up a half day of your vacation for a really good rate, you can consider it, but steel yourself for the presentation. Just don't EVER hand over any money, and remember that if the salesman's lips are moving, he/she is lying. All timeshares are available for considerably less than developer cost in the resale market; and there is no real difference between new and used - this is not like a car; even their "new" units are pre-enjoyed by others...

There are ways to rent timeshares directly from owners as well; check classifieds at http://www.tug2.net/ or http://www.redweek.com/ for a good source of owner timeshare rentals. These are usually (but not always) less expensive than direct from the developer. Owners usually are happy to recover their annual maintenance fees (generally $800-$1000 per week for a nice resort), so $100-$150 a night is normal. If it's less than $100, the owner is probably in a net negative situation, so be nice :goodvibes Note that owners do generally get pretty mad at our management companies when they start renting for less than we pay in MF's.

Vacation homes in the Orlando area are often in gated communities like Windsor Hills that were purpose build for the vacation industry. They have a lot of amenities but (arguably) not as many as good resort, and usually have the advantage of a private pool. There are a lot more sizes available too, TS resorts generally top out a 3BR, but there 7+ bedroom homes available if you need that much space. A couple of negatives that I have heard; many charge extra if you want to heat the pool, and many require you to do a bit of your own housework, expecting the renter to do a certain amount of housekeeping themselves on departure.

So between the two it really comes down to a balance of how much freedom you want, how many amenities you want, how much space you want, and what you want to pay for it all.

The biggest difference between a Timeshare Rental and Vacation Home Rental is from the owners point of view. As a timeshare owner, I own a 1/52 interest in a specific unit at a specific resort. I pay a maintenance fee to a management company to maintain the unit, provide housekeeping, security, and common amenities. A Vacation Home has a single owner for the entire property who (usually) pays a management company to look after renting the unit and maintenance, and pays condo or association fees for any common elements and security.

From the renters view, with timeshare resorts the developer/management company often holds a stock of unsold inventory that they are allowed to rent to the general public. Many (like Sheraton) run this like a hotel operation. If you rent from Sheraton directly for Vistana for example, you can get daily housekeeping and free shuttles (or pay less for the standard mid-week housekeeping/towel refresh) which makes it very close to a hotel stay, but with a lot more space, bathrooms, cooking and laundry facilities than you will find in a suite hotel.

One thing though is to watch the fine print on very cheap "special packages" from a developer; they may require a timeshare presentation. Not that that is a necessarily a bad thing; if you are willing to give up a half day of your vacation for a really good rate, you can consider it, but steel yourself for the presentation. Just don't EVER hand over any money, and remember that if the salesman's lips are moving, he/she is lying. All timeshares are available for considerably less than developer cost in the resale market; and there is no real difference between new and used - this is not like a car; even their "new" units are pre-enjoyed by others...

There are ways to rent timeshares directly from owners as well; check classifieds at http://www.tug2.net/ or http://www.redweek.com/ for a good source of owner timeshare rentals. These are usually (but not always) less expensive than direct from the developer. Owners usually are happy to recover their annual maintenance fees (generally $800-$1000 per week for a nice resort), so $100-$150 a night is normal. If it's less than $100, the owner is probably in a net negative situation, so be nice Note that owners do generally get pretty mad at our management companies when they start renting for less than we pay in MF's.

Vacation homes in the Orlando area are often in gated communities like Windsor Hills that were purpose build for the vacation industry. They have a lot of amenities but (arguably) not as many as good resort, and usually have the advantage of a private pool. There are a lot more sizes available too, TS resorts generally top out a 3BR, but there 7+ bedroom homes available if you need that much space. A couple of negatives that I have heard; many charge extra if you want to heat the pool, and many require you to do a bit of your own housework, expecting the renter to do a certain amount of housekeeping themselves on departure.

So between the two it really comes down to a balance of how much freedom you want, how many amenities you want, how much space you want, and what you want to pay for it all.

Thanks so much for all this info:thumbsup2
This should be a post of it's own to help Newbies to the vacation rental world like myself.

I think we are going to go the TS rental route and have narrowed it down to a few choices...

Floridays, Fountains, Vistana and Worldquest seem to have all have the same amenities for around the same price... I just need to pick one and go with it.

Love Ottawa BTW:thumbsup2

We are HUGE fans of the Sheraton Vistana Villages. Heading back next week for visit #2 :)

Timeshare "presentations" - they're not pushy about it at ALL! In fact, WE had to ask them for info about it.

Washer/Dryer in the unit - AWESOME :) Always tossed a load in as we were leaving for the day, tossed it in the dryer at some point later in the afternoon.

We had a 1 bedroom for the 3 of us and it was MASSIVE. 2 separate TV's, full kitchen, dining room table, screened in patio .... it was a great space for us to chill on our "non park" days.

Store on site - prices weren't too bad.

Always activities - from poker to exercise classes to scavenger hunts for the kids.

The pools (3) are GREAT :) DS who is 6 loves the pirate pool with the waterslide. Lots of lifeguards around and plenty of chairs for sunning :)

Close to EVERYTHING: Not even 10 minutes to SeaWorld/Aquatica. Maybe 20 minutes to Universal. In the other direction, you're maybe 15 minutes from DTD. Tons of restaurants everywhere. Restaurant in the hotel is OK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter