First major review of "Tomorrowland"

Went to see it tonight and it was really impressive! It was a fun watch, would definitely recommend it.

Saw it at a matinee today on regular screen. Very worthwhile. While it moves along and has lots of action, it is a relatively long movie so anyone with children under 6 yrs may have a tough time keeping their attention engaged. There was a whole row of seats behind me reserved for a child's birthday party guests and the youngsters were in and out of the theatre full time between bathroom breaks & being fidgety. Kids over 8 yrs old will enjoy it. Special effects and filmography were spectacular. It is a bit preachy at the end but not overwhelmingly so. Being a WDW fan, I had hoped for even more of a Disney tomorrowland park angle. The its a small world ride at the '64 Worlds Fair is pretty much it save for a shot or two later of a space mountain like building in the background. I would have no hesitation recommending it to friends and family.

Friday wasn't terrible. Forecasts call for a $45 to $50 Million 4 day weekend. Remember, Disney family movies do less business than other movies on Friday and more on Saturday and Sunday. Still, it isn't going to set any records unless it surprises. Hopefully it will hold up well in future weeks since the weather is nice in many places this holiday weekend.

I really wanted to like this movie. It's visually stunning. The premise was great.

The follow through was ... mediocre. There were some pretty big plot holes. Stuff that just didn't make any sense. I had no problem with the actors, and like the fact that the protagonist was a teenage girl. My entire problem was with the story itself.

I saw it this weekend. It was pretty meh. The Disney references were my favorite parts and there weren't enough of those.

Saw it yesterday. It was... I don't know. I guess I enjoyed it, but there's something that simply doesn't work. The first half of the movie works quite well. It takes a little bit too much for the characters to finally reach Tomorrowland, but still, it was a great first half. But then they started to finally explain the main goal at the very last act of the film. You don't learn who the actual villain is or what are the characters' goals/purpose until the end.

I wasn't super pumped to begin with even though it is a Brad Bird film. And I quite liked the movie. It's just that the main motivations and goals of the characters aren't really clear.

Saw it yesterday. It was... I don't know. I guess I enjoyed it, but there's something that simply doesn't work. The first half of the movie works quite well. It takes a little bit too much for the characters to finally reach Tomorrowland, but still, it was a great first half. But then they started to finally explain the main goal at the very last act of the film. You don't learn who the actual villain is or what are the characters' goals/purpose until the end.

I wasn't super pumped to begin with even though it is a Brad Bird film. And I quite liked the movie. It's just that the main motivations and goals of the characters aren't really clear.

I agree with your review! We saw it at AMC at Universal the other day and I was pleasantly surprised at the first half (although we had already seen most of it at Epcot a few days before), but I was expecting more of Disney, and was less impressed once the disney-ess wore off and the movie seemed to take a different direction.

We saw the movie tonight and enjoyed it, but it's not something we would want our 6 and 8 year olds to watch. Call me old fashioned, but since when is it necessary to put curse words into a PG family movie? I don't know how many times I heard the words h--- or d---- or son of a ---. Totally unnecessary. Not words I want my kids using. Am I the only parent that finds this disappointing?

My 8 year old daughter and I went last night to see it and our verdict........................................................LOVED IT!!!

It reminded me of my childhood...sitting in front of the television on Saturday nights waiting for Walt to come on and introduce the story/movie they were about to show...I don't know...it had a kind of simplicity/innocence/freshness to it in a sea of garbage put out there for families...my highest compliment: Walt would be proud!! <3

I'm in the camp of people who loved it. It's also a movie that I plan to show to my daughter (who's 6), and I can't say the same for Age of Ultron. I'm aware that my love of the Disney parks and history is totally part of the reason why I loved it.

Still, I'm surprised by the level of vitriol coming at Tomorrowland from critics across the board. There are a few exceptions like Amy Nicholson and David Edelstein, but they're few and far between.

I'm in the camp of people who loved it. It's also a movie that I plan to show to my daughter (who's 6), and I can't say the same for Age of Ultron. I'm aware that my love of the Disney parks and history is totally part of the reason why I loved it.

Still, I'm surprised by the level of vitriol coming at Tomorrowland from critics across the board. There are a few exceptions like Amy Nicholson and David Edelstein, but they're few and far between.

It certainly has brought strong reactions out of people, on this site and others, very positive and very negative... but maybe that's a good thing overall. It is making people think and discuss why they do or don't like it.

I found a great article regarding this:

http://grantland.com/hollywood-pros...d-and-the-time-before-sci-fi-turned-dystopic/

Just seen it, was a little surprised how much the story seemed to be borrowed from Star Trek TNG All Good Things.

Overall quite a good film, better than I was expecting - but probably doesnt have a whole lot of appeal to those who are not disney geeks.

We really enjoyed it. Agree the first half was better. I dressed 1964 retro with wide track eyeliner and a beehive and we saw it at DTD where it was sold out and we were amongst all our Disney geeks. It got applause at the end. My most uncomfortable thing were the animatronics vaporizing people. Did NOT care for that. My honey ordered me a pin and of course I wore it and have worn it ro MK and even SWW at HS ever since. Its good Disney and sci-fi. I did not wish I could get my $12 back or worse, my 2 hrs back. I personally don't care for movies that start out like a narration video. Once we got to the fair scene (which I had seen at EP), I was quite happy! The flashing in and out pin scenes were very unique too!

We saw it Tuesday, and liked it...is it Academy Award material? Uh, no...but it was good. I think the girl (Robertson) was too over the top, but I guess I haven't spent a lot of time around teenagers lately to know for sure. And, then there's George Clooney...I'd probably like almost anything he's in.

Plus, I happen to agree with the lecture at the end...humans ARE destroying the earth at an alarming rate. That message is there, but it's a bit glossed over by the big fighting robots. Does that little lecture make the movie a downer? No I don't think so...we really do need to hear it.

Overall...a big thumb's up from us. (2 adults, no kids - I really don't think this is a movie to take young kids to):thumbsup2

Liked it...didn't love it.

Truthfully, being a fan of Disney probably made me like it more than I should have liked it.

Plus, I happen to agree with the lecture at the end...humans ARE destroying the earth at an alarming rate. That message is there, but it's a bit glossed over by the big fighting robots. Does that little lecture make the movie a downer? No I don't think so...we really do need to hear it.

I don't think that was the message, although it was hurried and confusing, so it's not surprising that some people draw that conclusion. I thought the message was dwelling on the possible negatives can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Rather than remain optimistic that discovery and technology can make our lives better, it's easy to believe that they are ruining our lives and therefore to give up trying to make things better.

I don't think that was the message, although it was hurried and confusing, so it's not surprising that some people draw that conclusion. I thought the message was dwelling on the possible negatives can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Rather than remain optimistic that discovery and technology can make our lives better, it's easy to believe that they are ruining our lives and therefore to give up trying to make things better.

Hmmm...that could have been in there too...

I'm referring to at the end when they are arguing with Hugh Laurie, who said something about trying to get us to change before it was too late...and Clooney asked why didn't he warn us, and Laurie said they had tried by giving us apocalyptic games, movies, etc., and instead of changing and cleaning up the earth and making better policies, we ate it up and kept polluting, etc. and just demanded more violent movies and war games......

The scene was rushed, and over quickly. But that's what I thought I heard.

I'll see it again when it hits pay-per-view...but like I said, we liked it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter