First Diney trip with 2 and 3 year-old sons!

golfmaven

Earning My Ears
First off, please excuse the length of this post and I apologize if I chose the wrong forum, but I had so many questions that I couldn't decide where to stick this!

While vacationing in South Florida this upcoming Christmas/New Year's (visiting grandparents), my wife and I are planning a short excursion (2 nights) to WDW (Magic Kingdom) with our 2 year old and 3 year old sons. The forum's expert feedback on my initial plans is greatly appreciated.

We are planning on driving up from Ft. Lauderdale on the afternoon of Thursday, Jan. 1st and time our arrival at WDW sometime around check-in (3 pm). 1) Do you think that the crowds will thin out a little after Jan. 1st (beginning of value season) or because of the proximity to the weekend and considering that most schools don't resume classes until Jan. 5th that WDW will be just as crowded as Christmas week?

Accommodations - We want to balance the convenience of access to MK (afternoon nap/pool time/home base) with price, so we are considering the Contemporary resort (standard Wing room). Both the Poly and the tower rooms at CR were a little pricey. We're reserved at around $225 per night using a AAA-discount but it still seems a bit pricey. 2) Am I putting too much emphasis on close monorail access (I don't really want to deal with a double stroller and a bus...of course we'll also have our car)? 3) Any suggestions on alternate resorts or ways to obtain a cheaper rate at CR are appreciated.

Theme Parks/Tickets - given my kids' young ages and since its their first trip to WDW, we thought about limiting our visit to MK only on Friday, Jan. 2nd. We assume that we'll just buy tickets at the gate or at the hotel on check-in. 4) Thoughts on this strategy are appreciated. 5) Any suggestions for non-theme park activities on Saturday, Jan. 3rd (check-out day) are also welcome. We thought about a water park (i.e., Blizzard Beach) but worry what it will be like without having a hotel room to go back to or maybe we should arrive early in the morning on Jan. 1st, drop our stuff off at the hotel and head straight to a water park for a fund mid-morning/afternoon day and return to hotel for check-in? 7) maybe we should do MGM (i.e., Playhouse Disney attractions) on the last day?

Dining - we definitely want to fit in at least one charachter meal into our schedule if not more. We were thinking of doing Chef Mickey's at CR for dinner on our arrival night (using PS 90 days out if we get a reservation) and then maybe Cinderella's Round Table at MK for breakfast or Crystal Palace. I'm thinking that it would be better to do Chef Mickey's for dinner instead of breakfast so as to not delay our arrival at MK in the morning. Maybe California Grill for dinner (a different fireworks experience) on the second night. 6) Comments on our plans as well as strategies and tips on using PS are appreciated.

7) Am I leaving anything out? This is a kids' vacation only and I want to make their first WDW experience enjoyable (if not memorable given their young age). They are really good with crowds and generally good with lines, but I don't want to overwhelm them.

I think the Contemporary is a good choice but I think the rooms in the wings are a long walk to the monorail station. But I know there is a walkway straight to the MK so you might opt for that choice instead of walking all the way to the monorail. Another choice could be the Wilderness Lodge the rooms are a little less expensive and there is a shuttle boat to the MK.

Chef Mickey's is a great choice for dinner the night you arrive. My DS was 17mnths during our last trip and loved it. We are going again this weekend but couldn't get a good time for a PS because our trip was planned so last minute.

I think for such a short trip the MK is a good choice. I think the water parks on Sat. or when you first arrive may be pushing it; you kids are young and would probably enjoy the pool at the hotel just as much. I would go to MK when it opens on Friday (go back to you hotel for a break midday, maybe go in the pool) then go back in the evening. Since you only have one day; I would eat at counter restaurants. Sit down restaurants eat up a lot of your time and the parks tend to tire toddlers out and therefore making for a poor dining experience (i talk from personal experience). I would hesitate taking my son to the California Grill after a day in the parks.

As for your tickets, I think you can get a discount through triple A if you purchase them in advance. And you do not need to buy a ticket for your two year old.

If you decide to go to a park on Sat. my choice would be Animal Kingdom. I think it is much better for toddlers than MGM and you can tour it in less than a day. My DS loved it. There are a lot of rides and shows that he was interested in and it was nice to take a break from the crowds and just walk around and look at the animals. He loved the Boneyard Playground and Kilimanjaro Safari. Also in Camp Minnie there are different huts that each of the characters stand in to take pictures. Actually I thought that we had the most character interaction at AK.

If you wanted to go to the parks on all three days Central Florida Travel does offer a three day park hopper. We got one about 6 months ago and it cost $150.

Hope this helps.

Yes, I agree. CR is an excellent choice.

We stayed there with our 2.5 yo dd 2 years ago. We had a north garden wing room. We could see the fireworks from our room.

The monorail convenience is great w/ a stroller!!

Chef Mickey's is a great character b/fast and/or dinner. Our dd really enjoyed them.

The only drawback I would have is the pool is not a zero entry. The Poly, has one. I'm not sure if GF has one. If swimming is important to your family, you may want to think abt it.

We didn't even bring our suits that trip as we felt dd was to young.

If you & dw want a nice dinner. You can arrange an inroom sitter w/ the front desk then eat at CA Grill. It's just a few steps away so if your boys need you, you are very close.

The ages my kids were (2 1/2 and 3 1/2) for their first trip.

I'd skip MGM. My kids did enjoy Playhouse Disney, but not as much as riding Peter Pan over and over and over again. They also really liked AK, so if you need a second park, that would be my choice. I wouldn't count on waterparks either. Early January can be quite cold.

We stayed at VWL. The boat access to MK was very nice and its a little cheaper than a monorail resort. But the boat will take a little longer.

I wouldn't do Cindy's at that age - Crystal Palace maybe? Be prepared to drop both meals if either of your kids are afraid of the characters. My son was - but it was a quiet keep-your-distance-from-me fear that we could work around. As long as the characters didn't interact with him, he was fine, but he really didn't want to get close. My daughter was all over them though.

I'd buy hoppers from a broker that you can use for a subsequent trip (your kids are the age where you know you'll be back, right?) And I'd spend checkout day in the parks - either a second MK day or AK, unless you need to be on the road early.

I'd count on Christmas crowds through the 5th.

You know if you ask so many questions you'll be more confused by the answers!! :)

1. The parks may be busy at that time but not terribly so.

2. Stick to Magic Kingdom on Friday. You might get a better rate if you check Expedia or other discount online companies. We stayed at AKL with our 6,3 & 2 year olds and thought it was great. The reason - their buses aren't shared with any other resort- so it's a straight shot to the parks- and the animals are a hoot! So if you can find a much cheaper price with AKL- go for it- if not stick to CR.

3. On your Saturday I'd spend the morning at the pool- the AKL pool has a zero entry as well as a playground that is geared for your kids ages. And you can plan a late character breakfast at one of the resorts- Ohana at the Polynesian has a neat character breakfast.

4. The double strollers at the MK are a must and much easier on the parents racing to get to another toddler ride. At that age my kids loved Peter Pan's Flight, Dumbo, Buzz Lightyear, race cars, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, IT's a SMall world and everything over in Toon Town area.

Have a great trip!!
Tara

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter