• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First Christmas Trip for Us, & Taking 1st Timers, Thoughts?

sscott87

Earning My Ears
Wife and I had a 4-day visit to the parks this past May, with our first trip having been back in 2010. Suddenly and unexpectedly, we're now planning a return trip (already) for the second week of December. Looking to be in the park December 11-14, which looks to be a fairly quiet time by all crowd calendars (and surely much slower than our May and July trips previously). Additionally, likely treating my sister and her fiancé to the trip with us, neither having ever been.

So what ARE the true can't-miss holiday sites/events/etc? Obviously different parades and shows, lights, and whatnot, but interested to hear from you guys here; firsthand experiences and input rather than what I'm reading on the web that doesn't really convey it.

The Candlelight processional was amazing!! We were actually there December 19-28th and did the processional on Christmas Eve and it was by far my favorite Christmas Eve of all time. We didn't get to tour the resorts as much as we would have liked to but I have heard wonderful things about the gingerbread houses at the Grand Floridian. The decorations at the Wilderness Lodge were lovely.

1) I would ask the first timers if they know of anything in particular they would like to not miss..otherwise you will plan for them.
2) They don't know what they don't know. So don't worry that they miss tinkerbell flying to the castle if you have to leave early that day as they don't know that even exists.
3) Talk to the fiance...what does he think about this idea? If he is kind of meh, try to incorporate things he likes (e.g., ESPN zone if he likes sports, etc)
4) As old DIsney hands, you may be more interested in the holiday stuff. They may be more interested in the "Normal" stuff...
5)Think about how they are to travel with. Do they like to plan? If you are a planner and they aren't (or visa versa) that can cause issues. Are they okay with getting up early? The worst would be if they want to sleep in but you don't want to ditch them at the hotel because they don't know how to get anywhere. Are they adventurious/non-adventurous eaters? Not saying that any of these are show-stoppers, but just to incorporate it into your planning/expectations.
6) Maybe one day you go resort hopping to look at decorations and they spend at a park or relaxing...always good to have a break.

don't miss stopping into grand floridian and seeing the giant gingerbread house they make in the lobby.

The Candlelight Processional.
The Wilderness Lodge Lobby
The Grand Floridian Lobby

The ambience on Main St.

'nuff said.

The resorts are amazing, but with such a short trip you might not want to waste the time away from the parks. To break up a MK day you could try to plan a lunch/dinner reservation at Poly or the GF to see those decorcations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter