First and probably last Disney cruise.

Maybe I'm just being overly cautious then because every site is saying the formal night in those MDRs in Royal & Carnival still require formal dress and I just don't like arbitrary limits outside of the already established dress code.
Royal usually calls it "dress your best", which really doesn't mean anything. Wear your usual and no one - apart from busybodies- will care.

Royal usually calls it "dress your best", which really doesn't mean anything. Wear your usual and no one - apart from busybodies- will care.
Last time we did Royal was 2010, and even then, a lot of people weren’t wearing formal clothes, just khakis and polos. The cruise lines have been getting progressively more and more casual, just like everything else.

Last time we did Royal was 2010, and even then, a lot of people weren’t wearing formal clothes, just khakis and polos. The cruise lines have been getting progressively more and more casual, just like everything else.
For sure. I started in IT in 98 and we had to wear ties to work. Over the years and various companies things progressed to where shorts and flip-flops were not uncommon. Yes, that place was a startup.

We have cruised in the dream but usually cruise Princess and I agree I can’t see us ever booking Disney again and it is 3 times the price of Princess but definitely not 3 times better

Maybe I'm just being overly cautious then because every site is saying the formal night in those MDRs in Royal & Carnival still require formal dress and I just don't like arbitrary limits outside of the already established dress code.
Neither Royal nor Carnival require formal dress. People are encouraged to dress up on formal nights, but on my last Royal Caribbean cruise I’d guess that fewer than 50% of people really participated in formal night.

I'm looking to avoid things like *required* formal nights. I don't like the idea of having to dress up for a dining experience that's ordinarily casual and included in the original cost of the ship. I'm looking for something that lines up with my casual nature & won't exclude me from included dining just because I'm not the type to dress up outside of specialty dining .
That’s why we like Royal and DCL It’s all optional. We wore shorts to dinner on Royal and so did a lot of other people. Carnival is pretty much the same.

I see nothing wrong with a nice pair of shorts and blouse or nice shirt for the guys. Just don’t look like you just came from the pool. How I dress is determined by the weather. I like to be comfortable.

For sure. I started in IT in 98 and we had to wear ties to work. Over the years and various companies things progressed to where shorts and flip-flops were not uncommon. Yes, that place was a startup.
There were a few people who went barefoot at the startup I worked at🤣

I think this is the only thing keeping us from doing Virgin. However, they could change itineraries by the time we are ready to book. We have and will be doing Celebrity without our son. I really like their itineraries.
How do their activities on board compare to disney?

How do their activities on board compare to disney?

We don't typically do many organized activities, even on DCL. We aren't huge on crafts. We do like the DCL beverage tastings, but Celebrity does not have many. I love the movie theater on DCL; no other cruise line can compare to that. I know they have the typical trivia and karaoke. We have never done those on DCL, because they are usually incredibly full. Obviously no characters on Celebrity. So, Celebrity probably does not compare well for activities to DCL. That works for us but not everyone.

We don't typically do many organized activities, even on DCL. We aren't huge on crafts. We do like the DCL beverage tastings, but Celebrity does not have many. I love the movie theater on DCL; no other cruise line can compare to that. I know they have the typical trivia and karaoke. We have never done those on DCL, because they are usually incredibly full. Obviously no characters on Celebrity. So, Celebrity probably does not compare well for activities to DCL. That works for us but not everyone.
The only activity we do on a Dinsey cruise is the adult music trivia, and that's only because it's been during"happy hour" in O'gills before the second dinner. The last few cruises I've been on they changed it to 10 pm so we've skipped it.

If Disney is showing a movie we're interested in we'll see it, but those are few and far between. I love Jack's Jack's diaper dash, but other than that I can't think of anything. I'm more of a workout in the morning and then read a book and relax type of person.

I prefer port-intensive cruises more than anything. Trivia and towel folding just aren't my cup of tea.

There are not a lot of outdoor space with unobstructed view of the sea either. We felt like adult were only there to relax without their kids.

This was my fourth cruise in 2 years and I much prefer for an adult audience Virgin. But I do see the appeal of Disney Cruise for families, it is just too late for me.
This is an excellent example of different strokes for different folks. Not attacking your thoughts, they are you and I certainly do respect that. This past December it was just my wife and I on the Dream and loved it and all it offered us adults on the ship. Our first Disney cruise was in 2019 and my daughter was 22 then and she/we loved it. We are going back on the Fantasy April 2024 and will be bringing our 26 year old daughter to celebrate her masters degree (at time of cruise). Of all that she could choose from, her choice was DCL.

As for Virgin Cruises, my wife and I have no interest in the Virgin adult experience. Perhaps it's because we are both in our late 50's. For us, when not doing a Disney Cruise, we much prefer the "adult experience" found on Regent Seven Seas.

I was on the Fantasy in February/March this year. Went to bed early with no entertainment the last 3 nights. Most nights had the same/similar magic act but I can only watch so many card trick from the back of the room and keep interest level. They canceled bingo on the 4 day and the rest of the cruise. On the 4th day it was replaced with a pirate kid game show with jokes that didn’t hit and dragged on and on. Maybe they just read the script but didn’t know how to land the jokes? Worst of 8 cruises and hopefully the Dream will not have this same issues.

Sadly we were a group of 5 adults. I’m still upset about this, Disney supervisor was supposed to call us back about our experience but never did.
Been on the Magic twice since and had a wonderful time.

The spinning class is in the gym on the Fantasy. So we had the music of the gym at a level we could not ear and the instructor did not use it.
Yes, I've been to the Indoor Cycling classes on the ship (I don't think it's actual "Spinning (TM)" just indoor cycling) and they had a special playlist they used that they piped through the gym speakers. So basically all the gym listened to the music of the Cycle class. That's just odd. I wonder if the instructor didn't have their music ready or maybe was filling in? That's not right.

Completely agree. Felt the ship was basically done and quiet by 11/11;30. Never felt much to actually do for adults besides the bars themselves. But I already knew this when I went in. It’s not royal or carnival or the others. They are bigger ships with much more to do.

I probably won’t go back simply because I didn’t feel there was enough fun stuff for adults to do at night but I’m glad I did it. I enjoyed the trip. It does everything really well. Disney just isn’t that type of vibe or trip, and that’s OK. They cater to that

Would be nice if they had some sailings strictly for adults or adults only ship but it’s Disney, it caters to children. Plenty of other cruise lines for nightlife

Yeah. My DD23 would be bored out of her gourd on a Disney cruise. She’s too old for the kids centered things and too young for nostalgia.
When we do adult entertainment 18+ on the ship it is usually not even mentioning Disney related content. Family entertainment (any age) usually will include Disney content. My parents, age 80, said “we don’t want to go on a cruise for kids,” But now love Disney entertainment like my DD23. Tried RCC but entertainment was too sexual and menstrual related.
There’s always something if you look at the navigator. (Cooking class, music trivia, alcohol tasting, talks from speakers, smaller live music venues, recent 5ish Disney movies usually only 1 is cartoonish,…)
Where you can’t avoid kid stuff is if you walk through the atrium at dinner. Always characters there for photos. Also Disney music piped throughout the ship in community areas. Except in $$$- restaurants where they play classical music.
Sure live theater usually has a mouse for a few minute’s unless it’s a broadway production. But broadway productions are usually primarily adults in the audience just because of sheer cost on land, outside of the ship’s.
My daughter enjoyed the ship most starting at 18 and still enjoys it now. Love love loved the transatlantic crossing last year at age 22. Wants to do it again!
But if she is an adrenaline junky, maybe just the activities at port might not be enough to satisfy her. That Disney ship hasn’t been built yet. They need 2 ships to address the adrenaline 15-30 crowd.
Currently we are happy with the multi-generational appeal of the ships and the cleaner comedy they offer.
But the Fantasy was awful for adult entertainment. Try Magic or Wonder, I haven’t been on the Dream so can’t speak to that ship.

But the Fantasy was awful for adult entertainment. Try Magic or Wonder, I haven’t been on the Dream so can’t speak to that ship.

When I was on the Dream they had a couple match game-esque shows. My gf and I actually participated in "Seriously?" where we had to say who likely matched the question (worst driver, most embarrassing family, etc.). The host of that was great and he remembered my gf when she did this other crazy game that he hosted (some sort of name that tune style game...at one point the host got picked up and carried to the bar where he took a shot🤣).

They also have Eric Jones, magician that appeared on AGT.

Good to know about the Fantasy. Means more time for alternative activities when I go in November 😅.

gisele2:​

But what surprised us is the lack of activities for adults, or lack of different activities. You can attend Trivia , Bingo, DVC sessions, alcohol tasting, crafts (not really enjoyable) and thats it. The gym is tiny, the spinning class were without music, so less enjoyable even if the CM did all they could to motivate us.
Made me laugh - how much do you want to do? It is a vacation. LOL.

When we cruise we spend most of our time enjoying the sea view. We stay aft on the extended verandas. We rarely do the dinners, preferring a cheese try and a salad on the veranda. Amusing how different we all are = diversity!

I went as an adult with no kids. Why I chose Disney as an adult, one of the main reasons is because I don’t drink, I don’t like being around people who have had a bit too much and some of the cruises I’ve experienced have felt a bit too boozey for my liking. I just much preferred the disney cruise guests.

I do agree with you that there are less adult activities compared to other cruises but I just enjoyed relaxing, watching the waves, quiet time, reading and drawing.

I can see how it could get a bit boring for people who want more activities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter