Fine for healthy but disabled, not so much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me get this straight. The OP writes to complain about her dissatisfaction with Uni's accommodation of her disability. When asked what, specifically, she would like them to DO to accommodate her, she won't give an answer. She will, however, come back here to make more claims about how unfair the world is. :stir:

Not surprised, I guess. :confused3

How exactly does a disabled person abuse a system? I showed my disability card with ID and had it on me the entire time and since most of my time is spent in various degrees of excessive pain - many times it actually takes my breath away and I can't even speak, much less walk I'm really curious about what here exactly makes my situation and those of other disabled people unfair to the rest of the world. Do go ahead and explain you've got my attention

Not to gang up on a disabled person, but if I ever have a disability that sometimes doesn't allow me to walk, I would think a wheelchair or ECV would not be an option but a necessity...

How exactly does a disabled person abuse a system? I showed my disability card with ID and had it on me the entire time and since most of my time is spent in various degrees of excessive pain - many times it actually takes my breath away and I can't even speak, much less walk I'm really curious about what here exactly makes my situation and those of other disabled people unfair to the rest of the world. Do go ahead and explain you've got my attention

What the heck are you doing walking around a theme park in the summer heat when you say this,

"since most of my time is spent in various degrees of excessive pain - many times it actually takes my breath away and I can't even speak, much less walk" This takes the cake!

Your disability, my disability, and others does not make this unfair to the world. You thought they were not accommodating to your liking and had to wait like the rest of the world.

The other problem is with to many people taking advantage if a GAC pass even if they are not disabled. Over the years more have found out about this pass and abuse it. Yes the theme parks over the year will add a little magic, pixie dust, mummy dust, or whatever you call
It to help someone out in generosity. But this is not the design if the GAC pass.

Here is a link to Disney's disability policies. Read the very bottom too;

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/p...WITH DISABILITIES AT WALT DISNEY WORLD RESORT

Here is Universal's policy:

https://www.universalorlando.com/Resort-Information/Accessibility-Information.aspx

No where do they say go through the express, fast pass, or back door secret entrance. But it does say speak with guest services for specific needs.

Here is it word for word.

· Specific attraction entrance and boarding procedures, as some attractions allow Guests to remain in a wheelchair and some are transfer accessible.

Additionally, Guests with specific disability concerns can visit Guest Relations at any of the Disney Theme Parks or Disney Water Parks for additional information and assistance. The Cast Member you speak with will be happy to discuss in greater detail the available options to provide a memorable visit.

Why am i doing it, well i think its irresponsible to set my 2 teens loose in florida without me because I have a hard time. did I mention both are severely asthmatic so sort of supports why it would be a bad idea for me to not be where they are, especially since my son was having breathing issues the whole time. The fact they are not recognized as handicapped, well I really can't speak to that, it's not like this is my decision to make so I am sort of confused why its directed at me. If you want to protest asthmatics not getting appropriate consideration, by all means, let me know when and where and I'd join in.

I still don't get why it's somehow my problem that other people in this world don't seem to know how to behave themselves. That has zero to do with me and most disabled people are law abiding good people just trying to make it through life with as much dignity and independence as possible -although that is contrary to the apparently popular notion that disabled people should just shut up and climb into wheelchairs, this doesn't really should reasonable to me but maybe you should write a letter about that to disabled people's groups everywhere and see how it goes. I sort of think they won't dig the idea.

My solution is, I already said it and i still think its reasonable, would be for the parks to actually run handicapped persons through the parks as test groups and take their comments into consideration, or give them surveys as they leave then make appropriate changes. I flat out do not believe any of the muckity mucks polled disabled people when they put this into place. I have no desire to come up with plans, although I really don't get why they can't just copy what WDW has in place and they can easily institute. It's not like it would cost Universal/IOA anything to do it, the infrastructure is already in place, just open it up to disabled people. I do not understand why a test group is a bad idea and I do not understand why it isn't ok to open up what is already in place.

BTW, this isn't going to benefit me in the future, that ship has sailed, I came back Saturday & I don't think I'd consider this again -unless something changes. I hope the people who run the place have different points of view than the fans. This has been eye opening and not in a good sort of way. I know my goal here is to raise awareness but I'm lost as to the end game of the responses- I mean consider a person with a handicapped family member reads this, what sort of impression do you think they are going to come away with after reading this? Did you convince anyone that the way these parks deal with disability is superior to competitors? What sort of picture did you actually paint? All I wanted to do was say, hey take this into consideration as you plan but this went somewhere else entirely and I don't think I'm coming back to see how it ends. i will say I now have renewed support for those who fought for The Americans with Disabilities Act-must have been a rough fight to convince businesses to set up ramps, change bathrooms, put in parking and all the other expensive modifications if I'm catching this over saying a wealthy theme park should take a survey and consider opening up a line that already exists.

since most of my time is spent in various degrees of excessive pain - many times it actually takes my breath away and I can't even speak, much less walk

Again, YOU are CHOOSING not to use a wheelchair or other device to make yourself more comfortable. If waiting in lines is difficult for you as a result, that is YOUR problem.

I still don't get why it's somehow my problem that other people in this world don't seem to know how to behave themselves.

Who, exactly, was not behaving themselves at the park?

That has zero to do with me

This is laughable. Of course it's about you. You started the thread because YOU were unhappy with how YOU were treated.

the apparently popular notion that disabled people should just shut up and climb into wheelchairs, this doesn't really should reasonable to me but maybe you should write a letter about that to disabled people's groups everywhere and see how it goes. I sort of think they won't dig the idea.

Really? 'Cause if using a wheelchair makes it easier to get around, and makes someone more comfortable, then why in the world would an advocacy group tell them NOT to use the wheelchair?

My solution is, I already said it and i still think its reasonable, would be for the parks to actually run handicapped persons through the parks as test groups and take their comments into consideration, or give them surveys as they leave then make appropriate changes.

Again, what are YOUR suggestions? If you feel so strongly that you were mistreated, then WHAT should Uni have done differently? Apparently if they were to give you a questionnaire, you'd just tell them you don't have any ideas. :confused3

It's clear that the reason you are saying that you don't have any ideas is because what you REALLY want is to be let in to every attraction without having to wait in a single line. That's what's between the lines in all of your posts. Why not just come out and say it? (Because you realize it's totally unreasonable?)

Yet you're still willing to stir the pot and try to throw the blame on to everyone but yourself... instead of taking some personal responsibility and owning up to the fact that perhaps you should have taken advantage of the Express Pass and/or a wheelchair or other device that would have made your wait more comfortable, instead of trying to paint yourself as a martyr who is selflessly warning other disabled people to stay away from Uni.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter