Favorite home remedies

Southernmiss

I am hazed everyday
Cold and flu season is upon us.

What are your favorite home remedies? For anything, doesn't have to be cold or the flu.

I have recently tried drops of diluted peroxide in the ears and nose. Followed by a gargle of peroxide water. Kept me, ds and dh from catching a full blown cold when we felt one coming on at different times recently.

A niece will be looking for elderberry syrup in the morning for herself and her 7 month old who have begun with a fever cold/flu symptoms.

I have used Vicks vapor rub for a cough.

What are your favorites?

Drinking a ton of fluids, especially tea with ginger, ginger ale, and orange juice.

Tying a hankerchief around my neck (like a cravat or scarf, I guess), to keep my neck warm during any sore throat days. Added bonus is you can pretend to be a bank robber if your toddler son wants to play sheriff.

Gargling with salt water multiple times a day. Gargling with a shot of vodka or other liquor can help numb a sore throat and perhaps kill a few extra germs in your throat. Your decision as to whether you want to swallow it or spit it out. :rolleyes1

And to prevent "Rudolph nose" around your nostrils from frequent nose blowing, you have to moisturize that area multiple times a day to keep the skin from getting dry and inflamed.

Used to take airbourne and/or echinacea if I felt a cold coming on, but not so much anymore.

Ginger root, the West Indian cure-all, LOL.

Works for nausea, supposedly cleanses your blood, combats fatigue when you feel like a lazy lima bean; when you can smell it again after drinking copious cups of ginger tea, you are cured of a cold.

Spring clean out

Beaten egg whites mixed with blackstrap molasses, sulpher powder and ground sorrel; wicked.

Fall build up tonic

All I remember was the cold liver oil component that I dribbled down the front my flannel nightgown thus ensuring I'd smell fish in my sleeping hours. I wont be asking my mother what other fresh hades was in the cup since I'd rather be sickly for the rest of my life.

Elderberry syrup is great for the immune system and it tastes great too. I swear by my neti pot as well. It's gross but really works. A little vapor rub on the sinuses helps open them up and an ice pack on the back of the neck really helps a bad headache.

Eucalyptus essential oil in some coconut oil. I use it as a rub (like vics) and in my diffuser.

Cold and flu season is upon us.

I have recently tried drops of diluted peroxide in the ears and nose. Followed by a gargle of peroxide water. Kept me, ds and dh from catching a full blown cold when we felt one coming on at different times recently.
This works for my family every time! Love my hydrogen peroxide!!

Same as many others-Neti pot daily,gargle with salt water,gargle with hydrogen peroxide,hot lemon water in the morning,vicks on the feet with socks.The cool Kleenex-feels so good!

I got elderberry logenzes from Amazon, they are easy to carry with you and soothe your throa too. I keep up a vit c and vit d regimen in the winter. This year I haven't done the probiotics yet, but I plan to.

Fresh ginger tea, or syrup oh yes, It is so good and spicy.

Vicks rub, yes and emergen c when we feel something coming on. Peppermint oil for a headache has worked well. I use oregano oil for all sorts of skin things, tea tree oil for others ( my lice repel spray!).

If you have a canker sore, milk of magnesia is soothing and very healing.

Fennel tea for stomach upset.

Tons and tons of water/hydration. I am also a firm believer in the miracle powers of vicks vaporub.

For those who use Vicks vaporub, how do you use it? I've tried it on my feet for a cough with some results but that is all.

Here’s what we do for sinus congestion. You have to do the steps in order right before bed.

1. A nice long steamy shower to open up the sinuses.

2. Do a Neil Med sinus rinse or Neti
pot. They make a child’s version of the Neil Med. it’s available on Amazon. If you have an infection it’s both fascinating and disgusting what will come out.

3. Follow up with saline mist and your nasal spray of choice.

4. Run the humidifier at night with some of the Vick’s humidifier liquid in it if possible.

Keeping your nasal passages open really helps make sure the nasal spray is able to get into your sinuses and helps you get a better night’s sleep.

Lots and lots of hand washing and wiping down doorknobs, handles, light switches etc. on a regular basis has gone a long way in keeping the cooties at bay for me. Between DD with work/school and the younger kids at school there’s seemily never ending viruses roaming around here. Nine times out of ten (*knocks wood*) the above routine saves me from it. If I do feel something might be coming on I start using Zicam. That usually stops things in their tracks or at least lessons the severity.

Other than drinking lots of water, nothing.
If I do nothing I'll be sicker, but for a week to 10 days.
If I try OTC medicines, or health food store immune system boosters, I'm not as sick, but I'm sick for a month.

Lots of good ideas here.

I also make homemade chicken soup (not always noodle) from homemade broth. Boiling the bones for hours with seasonings, carrots, onion,bay leaves, celery, garlic.

I found the elderberry syrup and lozenges at a health food store and took some to my niece and bought some to keep on hand here.

I also try to remember to wash my hands as soon as I get home from shopping or being out all day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter