Fast Pass Future? Predictions...

I'm going to wade in here. A year ago I would've been singing a different tune. However, Disney is using the pandemic as an excuse to eliminate things they've been want to get rid of for years. So...

FP+ as we know it is never coming back, IMO. I believe it will come back as some sort of paid option. People say "they can't charge for something they've been giving away for free for years!" Who'd have thought they'd start charging to park at their resorts? Nope, free FP will never be back.

I've seen people suggest a virtual queue. I haven't been to WDW since RotR opened. Everything about it sounds like a nightmare to me. Reservations are gone within seconds. Nope, that doesn't spell "good time" to me. Plus, as a couple of people have mentioned, I don't want to be staring at my phone hoping to get a reservation during the entire trip. Man, I hope they don't go that route. I'd rather pay for a FP (assuming they don't charge some outrageous price) than have to do that all day.
So true.

If people will pay for it, Disney will offer it.

Some of the things Disney offers, for a steep fee, seem counter intuitive, but they bring in buckets of cash.

Disney: Sorry we sell too many tickets and the parks / lines are super crowded
Also Disney: We should "solve" this problem by letting guests pay 3 different entry fees during the same day (EMM, Regular Admission and After Hours).

But it seems insane to me that I might need to deal with not getting to enjoy the rides too, without waiting an hour for each, more for the headliners/popular ones.
Before the pandemic, it was a regular thing for guests to wait more than an hour for the major attractions other than their few FP+ selections. Why would wait times decline?

Sorry Disney. You provided something for free for a long time. Everything is way more expensive than it used to be. On top of the exorbitant price of the trip in and of itself I'm not also then going to pay for something I used to get for free.
And you're not alone, so Disney can use this approach very effectively to move their clientele up-market if that's their intent.

FP+ as we know it is never coming back, IMO. I believe it will come back as some sort of paid option. People say "they can't charge for something they've been giving away for free for years!" Who'd have thought they'd start charging to park at their resorts?
Yes, true, but with charging at resorts there is no middle way. With FP+, there's an easy middle way: Bring back what there was, but put something (a paid service) over it, that gets dibs on attraction access before FP+, that perhaps has its own inventory of FP+ (like different admission media have their own inventory of park pass reservations), etc. Sure, the hardcore "Disney parks analysts" will see right through the ruse, but the vast majority of guest will either be oblivious to it or will make themselves oblivious to it, in order to continue to visit this place they love to visit without it going beyond their budget.

I've seen people suggest a virtual queue. I haven't been to WDW since RotR opened. Everything about it sounds like a nightmare to me. Reservations are gone within seconds. Nope, that doesn't spell "good time" to me.
Two things: It's nowhere near as horrible as people make it seem, because those people are reporting their own failed experience from the perspective of someone who was just right then deprived of something that they desperately wanted.

Beyond that, the most significant flaw in the RotR virtual queue is that it is the only attraction in the park on virtual queue. If RotR, SDD, MMRR and perhaps even ToT and RnRC were ALL on virtual queue (with no standby lines), and you have to choose which virtual queue to be in at any one time, the problem with RotR would be resolved. No one wants to be blocked from all of these attractions for eight hours, so guests who get a high boarding group number will abandon it in favor of getting on SDD in an hour, and so on. The only real problem with that is where can people wait if not in a standby line. I'm sure Disney can figure something as simple as that out.

They have more money than you? Says who? Maybe they saved up for months, or even YEARS, to be able to afford a single trip to the parks. If their preference is to wait until they can afford a trip that includes a stay at an EP resort, that’s their prerogative ... but it definitely doesn’t mean they’re richer than you.
And even if they are, who cares? There will always be people out there with more/less. That’s the way the world works.

I wish they would change to the Max Pass system that Disneyland does - we loved it!! We were there about a month after the rolled it out and it was so smooth and so much more efficient. We paid $10 a day for us to be able to use the fast pass system and get unlimited photo pass. So it was $40 a day for the few days we were there - so worth it! No stupid tier restrictions either. The only thing is I wish they had had the magic bands. So if they can combine the max pass system they do out there with the bands - that would be ideal for me! And yes I would pay the same especially if I got pictures too and more freedom with the fast passes.

I wish they would change to the Max Pass system that Disneyland does - we loved it!! We were there about a month after the rolled it out and it was so smooth and so much more efficient. We paid $10 a day for us to be able to use the fast pass system and get unlimited photo pass. So it was $40 a day for the few days we were there - so worth it! No stupid tier restrictions either. The only thing is I wish they had had the magic bands. So if they can combine the max pass system they do out there with the bands - that would be ideal for me! And yes I would pay the same especially if I got pictures too and more freedom with the fast passes.
As of last year, it was $20pp per day. At WDW it would be seen as a mandatory add on by most. For a family of 4, on a 5 day trip, that would be an extra $400 in top of everything else. To basically get something that was previously included.
I just don’t see them going this route.
I see an “included” system with paid add ins.

As of last year, it was $20pp per day. At WDW it would be seen as a mandatory add on by most. For a family of 4, on a 5 day trip, that would be an extra $400 in top of everything else. To basically get something that was previously included.
I just don’t see them going this route.
I see an “included” system with paid add ins.
I didn't realize the price went up but I would probably still pay it. Getting all the pictures plus the ease of their system would be worth it for me I guess. Although, DL still has all of their FP machines available (or at least they did in 2017) for those that don't want to purchase Max Pass so it was like the old days of running back and forth across the park to the machines to get passes. So I wonder if they did roll out the max pass system at WDW if they'd bring back the machines too....although I can't really see them doing that I guess. Most have been removed haven't they?

Do you all think some kind of FP or whatever else it will be will be in place by this summer? Or does everyone foresee no FP or any variant at all continuing for a long while longer? My family went last summer and it was glorious. We walked onto Peter Pan repeatedly. I waited 20 minutes for MMRR and 7DMT and 13 minutes for Splash. Those were the longest waits the whole time we were there. However, wait times and capacity have gone up a lot since then. We have two small children who cannot handle a 45 minute wait for... well, anything. I'm really hoping some kind of line cutting option returns soon. Masks aren't enough to deter us, but long waits 30 min+ for every ride are.

Two things: It's nowhere near as horrible as people make it seem, because those people are reporting their own failed experience from the perspective of someone who was just right then deprived of something that they desperately wanted.

Beyond that, the most significant flaw in the RotR virtual queue is that it is the only attraction in the park on virtual queue. If RotR, SDD, MMRR and perhaps even ToT and RnRC were ALL on virtual queue (with no standby lines), and you have to choose which virtual queue to be in at any one time, the problem with RotR would be resolved. No one wants to be blocked from all of these attractions for eight hours, so guests who get a high boarding group number will abandon it in favor of getting on SDD in an hour, and so on. The only real problem with that is where can people wait if not in a standby line. I'm sure Disney can figure something as simple as that out.

The virtual queue for all the E ticket rides would be great and I'm sure Disney would love to have people browsing their stores or buying food rather than waiting in a line. It would be like Max Pass at DL except no standby lines.

The virtual queue for all the E ticket rides would be great and I'm sure Disney would love to have people browsing their stores or buying food rather than waiting in a line. It would be like Max Pass at DL except no standby lines.
Lines are crowd eaters. There's no way the parks could handle big chunks of the day's attendance just walking around waiting for their next VQ to be called.

As capacity goes up, the parks have to have places to put everyone.

Do you all think some kind of FP or whatever else it will be will be in place by this summer? Or does everyone foresee no FP or any variant at all continuing for a long while longer? My family went last summer and it was glorious. We walked onto Peter Pan repeatedly. I waited 20 minutes for MMRR and 7DMT and 13 minutes for Splash. Those were the longest waits the whole time we were there. However, wait times and capacity have gone up a lot since then. We have two small children who cannot handle a 45 minute wait for... well, anything. I'm really hoping some kind of line cutting option returns soon. Masks aren't enough to deter us, but long waits 30 min+ for every ride are.
I hope so!

I understand lines are not "bad" right now, but that's about to change as we roll into Spring Break, Summer and the 50th this Fall....Not to mention, whenever we get CV under control.

Moving from 1 hour+ line to 1 hour+ line for a week straight will get old really quick and really leave a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.

Great thread and a lot of interesting insight and speculation.

I'd like to chime in with a couple of comments....

1) Our last trip to WDW we stayed club level and purchased the extra FP, so we had 6 FP per day (we did 4 days, one for each park). For us this was way too many FP's. Since you had to purchase a minimum of 3 FP per day, we had a at least 6 hours of our day scheduled due to the FP windows, throw in lunch and that's 7 hours. It was really difficult finding things to do in-between FP's, not so much at MK and HS but EPCOT and AK were difficult even with park hopping. I think 4 per day would be ideal. Maybe it's a problem that we would all like to have but I wouldn't do it again.

2) Been looking at all the information I can find on the Genie App, there aren't many details out there. One thing I did notice on the screen shots they published is that they show scheduled FP. To me this implies that they are planning to keep FP in some form or at least they had planned to keep it.

1) Our last trip to WDW we stayed club level and purchased the extra FP, so we had 6 FP per day (we did 4 days, one for each park). For us this was way too many FP's. Since you had to purchase a minimum of 3 FP per day, we had a at least 6 hours of our day scheduled due to the FP windows, throw in lunch and that's 7 hours. It was really difficult finding things to do in-between FP's, not so much at MK and HS but EPCOT and AK were difficult even with park hopping. I think 4 per day would be ideal. Maybe it's a problem that we would all like to have but I wouldn't do it again.
We had a similar experience. I think that, if Disney decides to sell additional fastpasses beyond the three free ones (assuming they return), they need to allow for overlapping windows or for anytime fastpasses. Imagine how much more enticing it would be to purchase extra fastpasses if you could schedule six of them in a three-hour window!

we had a at least 6 hours of our day scheduled due to the FP windows, throw in lunch and that's 7 hours
This!

This has always been my major beef with the FP program. The rigid scheduling. They could absolutely make the FP anytime, with some restrictions.

1. Tier the rides into "big" and "small" or something that sounds better.
2. You can get a certain number of big rides / small rides (maybe 1 big / 2 small with your ticket. Stay on-site and get 2 big / 1 small. Stay Deluxe and get 3 big). That's it. You get 3 per day "included".
3. Sell more. In advance. Offer an incentive to on-site based on level of accommodations.
4. Allow Big FP to be used on smaller rides, but not vice versa
5. Post the FP wait times

The argument over this is "well then everyone will just jump into the FOP FP line". Not true. If I see on the app that the FP line is 45 min+, I'll either use it on something else or check back later.

As people use their Big FP throughout the day, the FP lines will come down, just like standby lines come down later in the day.

If the extras were sold at enough of a premium, most people wouldn't buy them. So, in theory, there would be less FP out there, which would make the SB lines go faster.

This would give guests more control of their day AND more control over which park they want to visit (applicable to whenever the park reservation system is gone). No more "well we can't go to MK today because our FP are scheduled at AK and there is nothing left at MK"

This!

This has always been my major beef with the FP program. The rigid scheduling. They could absolutely make the FP anytime, with some restrictions.

1. Tier the rides into "big" and "small" or something that sounds better.
2. You can get a certain number of big rides / small rides (maybe 1 big / 2 small with your ticket. Stay on-site and get 2 big / 1 small. Stay Deluxe and get 3 big). That's it. You get 3 per day "included".
3. Sell more. In advance. Offer an incentive to on-site based on level of accommodations.
4. Allow Big FP to be used on smaller rides, but not vice versa
5. Post the FP wait times

The argument over this is "well then everyone will just jump into the FOP FP line". Not true. If I see on the app that the FP line is 45 min+, I'll either use it on something else or check back later.

As people use their Big FP throughout the day, the FP lines will come down, just like standby lines come down later in the day.

If the extras were sold at enough of a premium, most people wouldn't buy them. So, in theory, there would be less FP out there, which would make the SB lines go faster.

This would give guests more control of their day AND more control over which park they want to visit (applicable to whenever the park reservation system is gone). No more "well we can't go to MK today because our FP are scheduled at AK and there is nothing left at MK"

I kinda like this idea. Incentive for on-site by level. But no selling extra. Just a finite number. Fast Pass three lines per day, any ride any park, any time.

We really enjoyed Fast Pass Plus in it's most recent form. I'm big on planning and was always able to get the right FPs on the right day. From there, it was simply a case of planning the rest of the day around the FastPasses. We rarely would bother with trying to grab additional FastPasses because with a proper touring strategy, they were not needed, even during a busy Thanksgiving week in 2018. We did everything during that week, and the only standby line greater than 30 minutes that we waited in was to see Mickey at Magic Kingdom.

In our 2018 trip, we were there for 8 park days and Fastpassed each park twice. This was before Galaxy's Edge, and by using 6 FPS each in Epcot, Animal Kingdom, and Hollywood Studios we were able to hit virtually every attraction where FP would be beneficial. It made touring those Parks a breeze. When we could not get a FP because of Tiering or there were more than 6 options we wanted, we would utilize Rope Drop (Dinosaur at AK) or End of Night (Test Track at Epcot).

Magic Kingdom is really the only park where more than 6 FPs over two days would have been all that beneficial to us. Even there, a good touring strategy that focused on a rope drop of either Adventureland or Tomorrowland with a late night dedicated to Fantasyland are great approaches to avoid crowds in those areas.

I can't imagine a system working better for us. I definitely would not be a fan of full blown queuing for everything. It would be extremely hard to plan a day if you did not know until the morning of when you were going to be in a certain section of the park. And, if a queue is required for everything, I can see scenarios where you're crisscrossing the park as you grab whatever times are available. Smugglers Run to Tower of Terror, and then back across the park to ROTR, etc. Nope. Would not be a fan of that.

Let me preface to say that I have always tried to go during slower times... end of Aug, Oct, right after Easter but before Memorial day.
My biggest problem was when FP+ was added to rides that did not need it.
For example... Prior to FP+ rarely waited more than 15-30 for POTC, Haunted Mansion, Small World. SSE was always a walk on once the morning rush was over. These rides have the capacity to eat through crowds and we would ride multiple time in a day. Our last trip with FP+ we basically only got in about 1/2 ( or a little more) of the rides we would usually do. We still got on everything we wanted at least once but just not as many times.
Then there are the rides that do not have the capacity to handle limited crowds (looking at you speedway). Adding FP to this does not help me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter