Fast Pass Future? Predictions...

Jonfw2

DIS Veteran
What are people's guesses as to how and when FP+ will return?

Here's mine:

It won't return until the parks are at or near 100% capacity AND all the hotels are open. And when it does, it will be far different- I predict a two tiered system in which you get one FP per day for staying at a resort- no FP's for staying off campus- in tier one.

Then, everything beyond that in Tier two will be- you guessed it- for an additional fee. Best guess would be something like they've tested for some VIP resort guests- 3 additional per guest per day for around $75 each. They can dramatically limit the number versus what it was previously and the standby waits wouldn't be as dramatically impacted.

Companies like Cedar Fair and Universal just bring in too much free money for Disney to keep passing this up.

You can read more about it on the official Disney Parks Blog (August 25, 2019):

"... at D23 Expo 2019, details were unveiled by [then] Disney Parks, Experiences and Products Chairman [now Disney CEO] Bob Chapek for “Disney Genie,” a revolutionary new digital offering set to debut [at that time] in late 2020 [but obviously delayed by the pandemic] that will enhance the way you plan for and experience a trip to Walt Disney World Resort. Joining other innovations like the MagicBand, Disney Genie is being designed to help you make the most out of your visit, whether you’re a first-time guest or a seasoned pro."

There has been a lot of speculation that this would just be a planning tool, but I doubt it. No one is going to pay extra for just a planning tool. In the spirit of Jonfw2's question, I predict it'll be a better way to get attraction access, in the same way as MaxPass in DL is a better way to get attraction access but Disney Genie will work differently (both because they're not calling it MaxPass and because they've already shown up some screenshots of what it will look like). I predict that it has been delayed, in part, to capitalize on this unique opportunity to change FastPass under the cover of the pandemic into something that works a bit better for Disney. I doubt they'll get rid of Magic Bands or MDE, but there has to be some reason why they went to all the trouble of taking the boarding groups add-on for Rise of the Resistance and turned it into a separate section of MDE labeled "My Queues" (note how that is plural, not singular).

More to the point, how can we say that "probably not even Disney knows at this point" and why would they do "something similar to Universal" rather than doing something along the lines of what they already said they would do, and what they've already been working on for a few years?

Magical Express has been a free perk for Resort guests. Magic Bands were a free perk for resort guests. Will Disney really offer a free FastPass perk to resort guests?
. We're seeing Disney methodically eliminating costs once they see that those costs aren't paying them back anymore. Golden Oak, Club 33, VIP Tours, etc. - this is the direction we see Disney going. It's not good news for those who enjoyed a less costly and more egalitarian park going experience, but for those who can afford these extra costs it'll be an even better experience than before.

Even with everything Disney has done to slash every complementary perk imaginable with no remorse, I believe they may be more careful with FastPass. The expectation of lines, crowds, and stress is a huge reason why a lot of the general public doesn't go to Disney World. A lot of our friends (all who have young kids as well) won't go near a Disney vacation. Their kids would love to go to WDW, but they opt for beaches and all-inclusive resorts because Disney comes with a perception of crowds and hours waiting in line. And I believe there are a good number of families whose fears are eased by Disney (and Disney Travel Agents) with the FastPass+ program.

I think FP+ is viewed as a particularly valuable perk compared to things like Magical Express or the DDP or Magic Bands. The removal of DME is a punch in the gut for people who want a trip free of annoying logistics, but removing FastPass entirely seems like a more fundamental change to the Disney Vacation experience for the average family. I assume they will try to monetize it in some form, but I don't think it'll be quite the massive change people are expecting.

That said, every time I think Disney couldn't get more greedy in its attempt to make it a vacation destination only for the wealthy, they surpass my expectations.

Even with everything Disney has done to slash every complementary perk imaginable with no remorse, I believe they may be more careful with FastPass. The expectation of lines, crowds, and stress is a huge reason why a lot of the general public doesn't go to Disney World. A lot of our friends (all who have young kids as well) won't go near a Disney vacation. Their kids would love to go to WDW, but they opt for beaches and all-inclusive resorts because Disney comes with a perception of crowds and hours waiting in line. And I believe there are a good number of families whose fears are eased by Disney (and Disney Travel Agents) with the FastPass+ program.

I think FP+ is viewed as a particularly valuable perk compared to things like Magical Express or the DDP or Magic Bands. The removal of DME is a punch in the gut for people who want a trip free of annoying logistics, but removing FastPass entirely seems like a more fundamental change to the Disney Vacation experience for the average family. I assume they will try to monetize it in some form, but I don't think it'll be quite the massive change people are expecting.

That said, every time I think Disney couldn't get more greedy in its attempt to make it a vacation destination only for the wealthy, they surpass my expectations.

Fair points- my wife agrees. She thinks they need to retain SOME perks for staying at the resorts or people will just stay at less expensive hotels nearby.

Disney has invested billions in the system, and the last thing they want is news headlines attacking them for abolishing “free” Fastpasses. Moreover, some of the changes being suggested would severely cannibalize their existing paid options like VIP tours. I expect the system to return in a form very much like the pre-Covid system. Now that EMH have been removed I wouldn’t be surprised to see an expansion of paid EMM, allowing Disney to cash in while largely avoiding the “OMG Disney is being greedy” headlines.

Well since you want predictions. Perfect prediction would be Fastpasses for onsite guest and number determined by level of hotel you are staying at- deluxe 3 fastpasses, moderate 2 fastpasses and value 1 fastpass with ability to purchase 3 additional (like Club Level could- and we loved purchasing the additional 3- yes I am serious about that).

Honestly Disney needs to give the Deluxe guests more than the Value guests....just my opinion. And off-site could purchase fastpasses.

Well since you want predictions. Perfect prediction would be Fastpasses for onsite guest and number determined by level of hotel you are staying at- deluxe 3 fastpasses, moderate 2 fastpasses and value 1 fastpass with ability to purchase 3 additional (like Club Level could- and we loved purchasing the additional 3- yes I am serious about that).

Honestly Disney needs to give the Deluxe guests more than the Value guests....just my opinion. And off-site could purchase fastpasses.

I like this. Perfectly combines perks with stuff you have to pay for.

There is really no reason, once the pandemic is over and close contact is not an issue that things could not just return to what they were before the pandemic.
If it was working for Disney why would they change it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter