Family Trip...Need suggestions.

CruiseBoundnKY

DIS Veteran
Ok...I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

My crew:
Me - total Disney nut aka Mom
DH - Disney Dad
DS - 13
DD - 18 newly married
DSIL - Newly married son in law

We are headed home in just a few days. This is our 10th trip or our new son in law's 1st.

I know that we are like Disney to the max and I'm scared that either he won't like it or it won't meet his expectations, etc.

And the dynamics of this trip are sooooo different from before. We are used to going as a family of 4 that know and love all things Disney. Now we are a family of 3, and the newlyweds. You would think that once we hit the park, they would want to run the total opposite direction but DD says they want to stick with us. I just don't want to step on his toes by doing Disney commando like we always do and I do not want conflict. OH how I DO NOT want conflict. We do not wish to be THAT family. Please pray for me. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Also, we are driving down in a mini-van. We are used to doing our normal things...like playing games on the way down, stopping at certain rest-stops, restaurants, etc. Now with DSIL in the car, any thoughts on more adult ways to pass time. Other than plugging into electronics and Netflixing the whole 12 hours. LOL

Thanks again for any advice. Karen

As for adults, usually the easiest way to pass the time is to agree on some music beforehand, watch shows/movies, and talk. I wouldn't plan much more. I think allowing him some freedom in deciding might be the best way to have him feel welcome. I also think you talk to your new DSIL with DD present and say "hey, I know DD says she wants to go with us but I'll warn you that we have a commando style. Don't hesitate to drag DD off to experience the park in your own way. We aren't offended if you want to come with us and aren't offended if you don't. Do what's right for you both." I think just giving him that decision-making freedom up front, letting him know he and DD have that call and indicating support for whatever they want to do, will help considerably. Just also be sure to point out if this has any impact on ADRs or FPs so you have the necessary notice up front about bagging on ADRs.

I don't think you have to plan much activity for a car trip with adults, just do what you normally do. Has your daughter talked with her husband as far as expectations? You should probably just tell him that if they want to spend time together that's great if not and you want to go off on your own that's fine too. Maybe talk about this beforehand or during your car trip

You should talk with your DD and DSIL about what their expectations are. Let him know what you usually do. Ask him if he ever took road trips with his family and what they liked to do.

Ask them if they want to alternate days together. Or maybe split the days up. Rope drop together and then they might do something else in the afternoon or evening.
They are quite young so they might not think they can go off together.

And work on communicating during the trip too so that if they think they need to do something differently they feel they have the voice to say so.

I say to just do what you normally do but play it up to new SIL and it will be fine. When you are trying to not be who you are is when things get stressful. Say thinks like, " we love to do fun and crazy things on the drive down!" "Now that you are a part of us you get to do them too!" I would again mention that you are so happy to have them hang with you in the parks, but it they want to split for a bit...its cool too. They might hang with your younger kid for a while and give the you and your spouse some time alone. Will they have their own room? That might be a huge help if they have a place to retreat too. I always review our WDW "rules" on every trip even though we really don't need them anymore....things like...no whining (yep adults too), if you are hungry....say so and we will eat, if you are tired...say so and we will stop and rest,. Little things we started when the oldest was very little but still apply, especially for my DH! Go with the attitude is will be great and it just might!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter