Fall 2010 Dining Reviews - Updated 3/10

Nooo! The salmon at Sunshine Seasons is my absolute favorite CS! That is terrible that it's been replaced! Sorry your tuna wasn't fabulous-- it really looks visually good!
It looked so good, I was really excited to try it. It was so disappointing though.

:thumbsup2thanks for all the great info!

I'm subbing!

Can't wait to hear more before I make all my ressies!
Thanks for reading, I should have my review of Boma's breakfast up in a day or two.

Last month I found out that instaed of 2 sides with the chicken or porkchop you only get 1!!CM said it changed 2 months ago!!!

Last month I found out that instaed of 2 sides with the chicken or porkchop you only get 1!!CM said it changed 2 months ago!!!
I read that they changed it to speed up the lines. Maybe. But I think it could've also been a move to cut costs.

Today I woke up and headed to Animal Kingdom very early. I rode Expedition Everest, got a Fast Pass for later, and then promptly left and headed to Animal Kingdom Lodge for my breakfast reservation at Boma. Though I'd eaten dinner here many times before, including two nights before, this was my first time having breakfast here.

I was about an hour early for my ADR, since I had booked the latest breakfast available, not knowing how quickly I'd be able to get over to the Lodge. Though it was busy, it wasn't completely full, and I was able to be seated right away, much better then the very long wait I'd had just a couple of nights before.

fe09cdaa.jpg

Although there were a ton of choices of the buffet, without eating meat, or over indulging on pastries, there wasn't a whole lot for me to choose from. I did have a sticky bun and a chocolate crossiant, though the crossiant wasn't exactly what I'd call a crossiant, but it was good. I thought the sticky bun was a little dry. I liked the cinnamon-raisin French toast, it was sweet without being too sweet, and I thought it was quite tasty. The potatoes were really good, well seasoned, and not too salty, and the scrambled eggs with chives and goat cheese were fabulous.

I had a second helping of the eggs and potatoes, though I didn't bother with a picture of my second plate, but the eggs were easily the best thing I tried that morning.

Though I loved most of my food here, I don't think I'd go back to Boma again for breakfast due to more changes I've made in my diet, which now no longer includes eggs. Though I do recommend it to everyone.

another great update. thanks for sharing.
must try those eggs.

Like my review of Casey's was more about the severe lack of seating then of my fries, this review is more about annoying birds then it is about onion rings.

I've had the onion rings many times before, possibly every trip, so I knew they'd be good, and they were, though a tad greasier then usual. I also, unfortunatly, forgot to use my Table in Wonderland discount, which would've only been like a dollar, but a dollar is a dollar.

But those birds! They don't see humans as people to be avoided, they see free lunch. I love animals, I do, but not in my face as I'm trying to eat. This one duck was particullary annoying, I seriously thought I was going to trip over it when I stood up to throw my trash away. I didn't kick it, but I kind of shooed it away with my foot, just to get it away from me.

The moral of my story is - please don't feed the birds, you are just encouraging this if you do. I've even read stories of birds swooping down and just helping themselves to meals.

After spending the day at Animal Kingdom I headed over to the Polynesian for dinner at Ohana with Cathryn and her friend and their kids. There were six of us altogether. I got there first and checked us in, Cathryn got there a few minutes later. We had just gone up to the bar to decide what we wanted to drink, and no sooner had we opened the drink menu, were we paged to our table.

We got a table right by the window, and had a view of the castle. Though it was only 5:00 in the afternoon, so we wouldn't be there for fireworks, but if we had been, we'd have a good table for them.

We were served bread, pork wontons, chicken wings, stir-fried vegetables, lo mein noodles, and salad with honey-lime dressing. I didn't eat any of the meat items obviously, so I loaded up on vegetables, noodles, and salad.

I didn't bother taking pictures of any of the food, since I've been there so many times, and the food always looks the same. I'll find a link later to my last review of Ohana for pictures.

I thought everything was really good, best meal at Ohana yet. The last time I'd had the noodles, I thought they had been kind of bland, not these, or maybe it was because I mixed mine with a bunch of peanut sauce, but I really liked them. The veggies were fresh, and well cooked. The salad had plenty of dressing, (which seems to be hit or miss at Ohana,) and the bread was delicious, though I prefer Kona's, and I wish Ohana would use the same butter as Kona.

For your entree they bring around skewers of grilled meat; shrimp, steak, turkey, and pork. When I told our server I would only be eating shrimp, he promptly brought over a skewer, and pushed about ten shrimp onto my plate, since that was "all I was eating." I really didn't need that many shrimp to myself, but I did end up eating them all.

I had two drinks with dinner, the generic Magical Star cocktail, which is possibly my favorite drink on Disney property, and a key lime and coocnut martini, (and that I should've taken a picture of.) I don't remember ever seeing the martini on the drink menu before, if I had, I'm sure I would've tried it before now. It was really good. Cathryn had a lapu lapu and something else, I forget what all they were drinking. I remember there being a lot of stuff on the table, and they started storing their drinks on the windowsill, but not really sure what those drinks were. But they definatly had a lapu lapu, and it was really strong.

The dessert of course was the bread pudding, and that was just as delicious as always. I have the recipe in one of my Disney cookbooks, and should really try making it myself sometime.

I love Boma for breakfast, but I do eat the meat !!But the juice is the Best !!!!I have never tried OHana;s but am definately thinkung about it !!!

It's interesting how much the quality of items can vary.

I had the same meal as you at Sunshine Seasons in August, i.e., the tuna noodle salad and strawberry shortcake, and both items were awesome. It sounds like you got a bad piece of tuna. Mine practically melted in my mouth and I loved the bite that the noodle dressing had. The strawberries on my cake were very fresh tasting. It was my favorite CS meal of the trip, and we had some very nice ones.

We really enjoyed Ohana this summer too. All of the food was great, and so was the entertainment. We ate and laughed, and laughed and ate the whole time we were there. We drank a lot too. My husband had a Lapu-Lapu or two, while I had Backscratchers.

:thumbsup2 Hello i am new to your dining report It is really good WOW 19 days luck!
Thanks!

I love Boma for breakfast, but I do eat the meat !!But the juice is the Best !!!!I have never tried OHana;s but am definately thinkung about it !!!
I would definatly give Ohana's a try.

It's interesting how much the quality of items can vary.

I had the same meal as you at Sunshine Seasons in August, i.e., the tuna noodle salad and strawberry shortcake, and both items were awesome. It sounds like you got a bad piece of tuna. Mine practically melted in my mouth and I loved the bite that the noodle dressing had. The strawberries on my cake were very fresh tasting. It was my favorite CS meal of the trip, and we had some very nice ones.

We really enjoyed Ohana this summer too. All of the food was great, and so was the entertainment. We ate and laughed, and laughed and ate the whole time we were there. We drank a lot too. My husband had a Lapu-Lapu or two, while I had Backscratchers.
The last time I had the tuna it had been really good quality, and my dad had the same tuna in the spring and had liked it, so it was just a dissapointment this time, as I'd also had the strawberry shortcake before and it had been awesome the last time I had it.

Ohana was just a really fun meal, and I do think the Poly has the best drinks out of any place at Disney.

I'm so sorry it's been so long since an update, but I've been busy with work, the holidays, and stuff, plus my computer has been a complete piece of crap lately, and it has been very difficult to do anything online. I even actually had this typed up last night, but somehow it didn't get posted, and when I hit the back button my entire review was gone. Very aggravating, and I didn't feel like typing it all up again right away.

On day eleven I spent most of the day at Hollywood Studios. I had been there for rope drop, and managed to ride and get a Fast Pass for Toy Story right away, but the hassle it is to get there first thing in the morning is starting to be less and less worth it the more times I ride it, as people are truly pushy and show no order.

Anyway, I had lunch that day at Sci-Fi, which I had been to once before a long time ago, during my first trip to Disney World in 1998. I remembered it pretty well, but it hadn't left a memorable enough impression on me to return again before this trip.

Though the atmosphere is really kid and family friendly, and I get why it's so dark, it's a little too dark. I have great vision, and I had trouble reading the menus in that light. Plus, it was so cold. I was beyond freezing by the end of my meal, and couldn't wait to get out of there when I was done eating.

My server was good, effiecient, but a little less friendly then typical. Though she had a pretty demanding couple sitting in front of me, so I can't blame her for not being in a better mood.

For my meal I had a cookies and cream milkshake;

2a829c6b.jpg

I had just come from Tune-In Lounge before my meal, and had been drinking Magical Star cocktails, which are awesome, but it probably wasn't the best idea to drink this right after those. Still, it was a good milkshake, very thick and creamy, without an overpowering chocolate flavor.

It gets an;

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I also had an order of onion rings;

b5d9b472.jpg

This were great. They were nice large thick slices of onion, (I hate onion rings that are just chopped up bits of onion,) with a tasty perfectly fried batter, and they weren't too greasy. They were served with a creamy horseradish sauce that wasn't too spicy, and I really enjoyed.

They get an;

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Even though I really liked my food, I probably wouldn't go out of my way to eat here, since the cold and dark really bothered me. And I can get similar, if not the same food at Tune-In Lounge.

I stopped at Starring Rolls later that afternoon for no other reason then being in the area and wanting to use up another snack credit. I have this problem at the end of every trip, I always have too many snack credits to use, and even though I still had over a week left, I only had a few days left on the dining plan.

Starring Rolls has a huge tempting bakery selection, and I ended up settling on the tiramisu.

2015ba31.jpg

I love tiramisu, but this wasn't the best. Even though it was counter service, I really consider better from Starring Rolls. It was sort of bland, and it wasn't very creamy, just kind of thick.

It only gets a;

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Later that afternoon it looked like it was going to rain, so I wanted to get inside somewhere. I was a little hungry. Onion rings aren't filling, and I hadn't really eaten much of the tiramisu. Though I did have a dinner reservation later that was still a few hours away, so I decided to use up a counter service credit, since like my snack credits, they were also just kind of accumalating. I ended up at Backlot Express.

I had the grilled vegetable sandwich.

47b8d98e.jpg

The bread it was on was delicious. It was warm, very fresh, and seemed like it had come right out of the oven. It was filled with; mushrooms, red peppers, zucchini, tomato, watercress and cheese, with sundried tomato pesto. I really liked the whole sandwich, except for the raw tomato, which seemed out of place with the rest of the vegetables. The fries were fine, standard counter service fries.

The sandwich gets an

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

This will probably be my go to spot at the Studios for lunch now. Of course by the next time I get to Disney, they might've removed it from the menu, but hopefully not.

ETA - And I must've had dessert with this meal, but I don't have a picture. So it was either something completely unmemorable, or I just had fruit or water, which I wouldn't have bothered to take a picture of. I was really lazy with food pictures this trip.

Thanks for the update!

We have only had the sandwiches and cupcakes from Starring Rolls and they were great! I'll try to stay away from the Tiramisu after your review! ;)

Thanks for the grilled veggie sandwich review. I was thinking about it last time we were there, but we somehow changed our mind and went elsewhere - I might have to squeeze it in in February! :thumbsup2

Thanks for the update!

We have only had the sandwiches and cupcakes from Starring Rolls and they were great! I'll try to stay away from the Tiramisu after your review! ;)

Thanks for the grilled veggie sandwich review. I was thinking about it last time we were there, but we somehow changed our mind and went elsewhere - I might have to squeeze it in in February! :thumbsup2
You should try it, it's really good. I've never had a cupcake from Starring Rolls, but they always look so good.

I had eaten at Cape May Cafe once before, for breakfast. While the food had been fine, it hadn't been anything really special, and I'd had a really rotten experience with the service, so I was in no hurry to return. But after going to a seafood-only diet, and hearing so many good things about their dinner buffet, I decided to give that a chance.

After spending the rest of the afternoon at the Studios I headed over to the Beach Club for my dinner. I got there early, and while the restaurant was busy, and I would not reccomend showing up without an ADR, it wasn't too busy for me to be seated early.

My server this time was fabulous, she was very cheerful, kept my glasses full, my plates cleared, and could name every dish on the buffet from memory.

2d869142.jpg

I raided the salad bar first. I had two kinds of actual salad, ceasar, which was good, but a cranberry, walnut, and blue cheese salad with vinaigrette that was fantastic. I also had panzella (bread and tomato salad,) some cold seafood salad, some kind of cous cous salad, and some peel and eat shrimp. All of it was good, though pretty average, though I did really like panzella, and it's not something I can find at most places.

0cda451f.jpg

On my second plate I had some more of the cranberry, walnut, and blue cheese salad, as well as some more panzella. I really can't say enough about how much I like both these salads. I also tried two of the hot items, lobster tortellini, which really didn't have much flavor, and I thought the sauce was slightly too salty, and the crab legs, which for a buffet were excellant, and compared to some other crab legs I've had, it was quite easy to get the meat out.

45e829b0.jpg

For dessert I had a raspberry tart, an Oreo bon bon, and a mini chocolate lava cake. While the raspberry tart and bob bon were good, the chocolate lava cake may have been the best single dessert of the entire trip. Though it does have some competition.

I would return to Cape May Cafe for dinner. Though probably only with the dining plan. The buffets are really starting to cost too much to justify paying out of pocket for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter