• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fall 2010 Dining Reviews - Updated 3/10

disneyfav4ever

No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep
Hello everyone! I just got from 19 days in Disney and Universal, and I have a ton of reviews to share. For most of the trip I was on the basic Disney dining plan, (from day two to day fifteen,) and the rest of the time everything was out of pocket.

Reviews to be included;

Day One

Bistro de Paris

Day Two

Intermission Food Court
Tony's Town Square
Contempo Cafe

Day Three

Sunshine SeasonsSunshine Seasons
Brown Derby - Part One Part Two

Day Four

Tusker House
Captain Cook's

Day Five

Typhoon Tilly's
Coral Reef

Day Six

Wolfgang Puck Express
La Hacienda

Day Seven

Kouzzina
Casey's Corner

Day Eight

Intermission Food Court
Boma

Day Nine

Via Napoli
Sunshine Seasons

Day Ten

Boma
Flame Tree BBQ
Ohana

Day Eleven

Sci-Fi
Starring Rolls
Backlot Express
Cape May Cafe

Day Twelve

Main Street Bakery
Trail's End
Kona Cafe

Day Thirteen

Kusafari Bakery
Mara
Jiko

Day Fourteen

Columbia Harbor House
Cosmic Ray's

Day Fifteen

Pizza Planet
Starring Rolls Bakery
California Grill

Day Sixteen

Wizarding World of Harry Potter
Finnegan's Irish Pub
Tchoup Chop

Wow .... your list is long.... I'm in.... popcorn:: Can't wait to read your reviews:thumbsup2

I am so glad you are home, but so sad you are home too!

I appreciated the text updates while you were on vaca but I am so excited to hear your in depth reviews and see all the pics!

I appreciated the text updates while you were on vaca but I am so excited to hear your in depth reviews and see all the pics!
Yeah, I really just can't go into detail with texts, lol. But I'm glad I had someone to text about the food when I was there. My other friends would just not had understood had I texted them about food, lol. Plus the pictures, it's really not the same without pictures!

Yeah, I really just can't go into detail with texts, lol. But I'm glad I had someone to text about the food when I was there. My other friends would just not had understood had I texted them about food, lol. Plus the pictures, it's really not the same without pictures!

Exactly :thumbsup2 Nobody understands like a Dis Friend!

I probably won't text on our trip but you know you will get a live update on all the booze and drinks and such :rotfl2:

Now I need you to to finish all your reviews before I leave so I know what to eat and drink :lmao::rotfl: Just kidding babe...take your time making us all drool!

SUBBING - don't need much help to be excited about the upcoming food but these reviews are sure to boost me a little further. :)

Exactly :thumbsup2 Nobody understands like a Dis Friend!

I probably won't text on our trip but you know you will get a live update on all the booze and drinks and such :rotfl2:

Now I need you to to finish all your reviews before I leave so I know what to eat and drink :lmao::rotfl: Just kidding babe...take your time making us all drool!
The live updates are so much better then texts! Yeah, I don't think mine will be getting done in a month :lmao: I'll be lucky to be half done by the time you go! Just be sure to try La Hacienda (the TS) that was the best new restaurant of the trip.

SUBBING - don't need much help to be excited about the upcoming food but these reviews are sure to boost me a little further. :)
I think every little thing gets me more excited before a trip. Welcome!

Also, I will be using a rating system, but I'm keeping it simple this time;

:thumbsup2 - Gross, completely inedible, stay away from it!
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 - Edible, but I didn't really like it, and it's not something I'd get again.
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 - Fine, but probably not something I'd order again.
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 - Really good, I'd order it again if there was nothing else on the menu that appealed to me.
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 - Awesome, I'd have a hard time not ordering it again.

TO: MickeyNicky.... Just had a peek at your Nov 09 review.... the Christmas stuff looks fabulous!! We're heading down end of Nov- 1st visit with holiday decorations up .....so excited after seeing your pics of all the Xmas sweets. :worship:

On my first day in Disney I started my trip at Hollywood Studios. It closed early that evening so I headed over to Epcot afterwards for Illuminations and dinner at Bistro de Paris.

I had never been to Bistro de Paris before, and was very excited to try it. The fact that I was starving as the only things I’d eaten that day had been a granola bar and a 100-calorie snack pack that morning at the airport had me even more anxious then I usually would be for dinner.

After checking in, while I was sitting in the waiting area a group of Spanish speaking tourists came in. They didn’t speak English very well, and they spoke no French at all, and were getting mad at the hostess for not speaking Spanish. They didn’t have a reservation, plus it was a large group with kids running around the waiting area, and they wanted to bring strollers upstairs with them. It was just a communication problem, but they were being very rude. Luckily I was seated around then, and I didn’t see that group again.

I was seated one table over from the window, next to a middle-aged couple who had the window table. (This is important later into my meal.) My server introduced himself then, and explained that it was his first night working there. The service was good, very professional, making sure to do everything by the book.

I have to say, I’ve eaten at just about every restaurant on property, and this is the only restaurant where I’ve felt sort of out of place with what I was wearing. I had on a nice pair of white capris, and a nice black and pink top, which I know I’ve worn to signature restaurants before, and I felt underdressed there. I also felt like I was disturbing the atmosphere whenever I took a picture.

I was served a roll, (which I didn’t take a picture of, I actually don’t think I took a picture of any bread I was served this trip,) with was very nice. Nice crispy outside, and soft chewy inside, still warm from the oven, and the butter was also yummy. Granted I hadn’t had butter for the last few months before this, so any butter at that point would’ve probably tasted really good, but this butter just seemed super yummy.

I was also served an amuse bouche.

IMG_6994.jpg

I forget exactly what it was called but it was a cold pasta and shrimp salad with mushrooms. I usually don’t like cold mayonnaise-based salads, and I usually like mushrooms even less, but I thought this was good.

It gets a

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

For my meal I decided to order from the prixe fixe menu, which included an appetizer, entrée, and dessert, though the selections were limited and no substitutions were allowed.

For my appetizer I had the sautéed shrimp.

IMG_6995.jpg

There were a few shrimp, very plain with very little flavor, though they were cooked well, two small crab croquettes, which I also thought were kind of bland, and not very crabby, and a spoonful of what I can only describe as seafood mousse. This was possibly the best single bite of food my entire trip. It was absolutely delicious.

It gets an

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

For my entrée I had the sea bass.

IMG_6996.jpg

It was a nice piece of fish, served over gnocchi and artichokes, covered with champagne buerre blanc. This was possibly the best entrée of the entire trip, and set the bar pretty high for everything else I ate the next three weeks. The bass was cooked perfectly, and melted in my mouth, the gnocchi and artichokes were wonderful with it, and the champagne sauce was rich, creamy, and absolutely wonderful.

It easily scores a

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

One thing that did disturb my dinner, the middle aged couple that I mentioned were sitting next to me. Illuminations started as I was eating my entrée, and being as I was turned towards their table, and they were speaking quite loudly, it wasn’t difficult to over hear them. The woman was sitting on the same side at the table as I was, and had a slightly better view of the lagoon then her husband. This guy had to be at least 40 years old or so, and was complaining quite loudly that he couldn’t see well. He had what I can only describe as a temper tantrum, though instead of kicking and screaming he got up and left the restaurant, and never came back. It was very odd.

For dessert I had the crème brulee, which was actually a tasting of four different crème brulee inspired desserts.

IMG_6997.jpg

Starting at the bottom and going clockwise are; caramel cream, traditional crème brulee, caramelized rice pudding, and crème brulee ice cream.

The caramel cream was by far my favorite, it was rich, creamy, and smooth. The actual crème brulee was well prepared, but I just didn’t enjoy it as much as the caramel cream. The caramelized rice pudding was fine too, but nothing special, and the crème brulee ice cream was a little freezer burned, and I just didn’t find it very enjoyable. They could easily leave off one of these and make it a trio instead of four desserts.

It gets a

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Overall it was a pretty good meal, though I won't be in a hurry to eat here again, and when I do, I'll probably order a la carte.

I'm in and excited to hear about and see all those meals!!! WOW, I wish I had three weeks in Disney...something to work towards:cool1:

And I was excited about Bistro de Paris, as I just made an ADR for just me and hubby in March!

Can't wait to see more!! And thats a long list so lots to see!
Welcome!

What a delicious report this is going to be!!!popcorn::
Glad to have you reading!

Welcome home! :welcome:

I'm looking forward to reading your reviews. :)
Thanks, I wish I could still be there but I had a nice long trip, and am already playing with dates for next year.

Sounds great, I'm in!
Thanks for reading!

I'm in and excited to hear about and see all those meals!!! WOW, I wish I had three weeks in Disney...something to work towards:cool1:

And I was excited about Bistro de Paris, as I just made an ADR for just me and hubby in March!
I think Bistro is an excellent choice for a "date night" it was really romantic there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter