• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Everything you need to know about MagicBands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perfect! I didn't know if they only sold them in park. Thanks for the info!

Edit: Just called and found out that even though I had cancelled our order for new bands and it is too late to order new ones, that they should still have basic bands available for free that I can request at our resort when we arrive. I was hoping I wouldn't have to pay $60 for 4 new ones because I was unaware of the possible battery issue. One less thing to worry about!

Last edited:
Just called and found out that even though I had cancelled our order for new bands and it is too late to order new ones, that they should still have basic bands available for free that I can request at our resort when we arrive. I was hoping I wouldn't have to pay $60 for 4 new ones because I was unaware of the possible battery issue. One less thing to worry about!

They will be the gender neutral grey ones. They work wirelessly so if you like your old ones, use those because the touch part will work (room key, tickets, fastpass, room charging) and just put the new ones in your bags (if your carrying bags)

So does that mean that we can each have two Magicbands linked simultaneously to our stuff? (tickets, memory maker)

So does that mean that we can each have two Magicbands linked simultaneously to our stuff? (tickets, memory maker)

Many people have MANY MBs on their accounts.

There's your account. There's info on your account. And the MBs access the info on your account. You can have multiple bands accessing your account (tickets, dining, photos, room lock, etc).

I knew you could have multiple MB's on your account, but I didn't know if more than one could simultaneously be linked to your tickets, etc. Perfect, thanks for the info.

I knew you could have multiple MB's on your account, but I didn't know if more than one could simultaneously be linked to your tickets, etc. Perfect, thanks for the info.

This is where the technical side of how they work gets confusing but everything links to a person, including the magic band. if you have 100 bands linked to you, then the tickets linked to you work on all 100 bands. The only exception is in mde you can deactivate a band so it will not work but disney doens't do this unless you report it lost.

I think I have 14 bands and 3 hard cards linked to me.. they all work interchangeably.

That is great, makes it easy. I'll pick up the bands and have them linked and then everyone can decide for themselves if they want to wear the new one or just carry it with them to ensure the distance part works.

I have a few questions I didn't see answered...

1. Regarding Memory Maker - the last time we were at WDW (4 years ago) we had a plastic card for the Photopass photographer and he scanned it and voila our pictures were zapped into our account - do they now have to scan our Magic Bands to link up our pictures or are the pictures just zapped there without having to scan the Magic Bands just because we're standing so close to the photographer?

2. We have dinner at HDDR - the last time we ate there was 7 years ago and we had to pick up physical tickets at the box office just before our dinner time - are those zapped into our Magic Bands too or do we still need to pick up physical tickets at our hotel?

Thanks!

1. Regarding Memory Maker - the last time we were at WDW (4 years ago) we had a plastic card for the Photopass photographer and he scanned it and voila our pictures were zapped into our account - do they now have to scan our Magic Bands to link up our pictures or are the pictures just zapped there without having to scan the Magic Bands just because we're standing so close to the photographer?

You can use whatever your tickets are with. If you have a magicband, that's all you need. If you have a hard ticket you use that. If for some reason you don't have either or something happened with them while at the park you can get a photopass card from the photographers but that's really rare these days...

Something to note, ride photos now automatically link to your account if you have a magicband with you (wearing or in your bag/on your person if you are concerned it may come off on some rides). (and the magic band batteries are still good). Some rides (not all) still have the screens, you do not need to review and tap your band for them but you can if it makes you feel better and ensure a picture of you was taken. some rides don't have them and you must have a magic band to get those photos. Also some rides have video of you riding it and that also requires a magicband.

Also some rides have a new storyteller option, which means part of the ride is peronallized or someone may greet you by name. these require a magicband also so they can detect who you are.

Batteries last about 2 years if you travel to disney a lot and keep reusing the same magicband. Room key, tickets, dining plan, anything you touch your band too work even if the battery is dead, the batter is just the features where it wirelessly tells the system where it works and that is limited to ride photos, videos. The only way to tell if the batteries are dead is to ride something and see if storyteller or a ride photo appears automatically. *Yes it's annoying, especially if it was a long wait*. you can ask for them to manually link your photo if you discover this happens so you don't need to ride again.

2. We have dinner at HDDR - the last time we ate there was 7 years ago and we had to pick up physical tickets at the box office just before our dinner time - are those zapped into our Magic Bands too or do we still need to pick up physical tickets at our hotel?

If your not being told to pick it up or it is being mailed to you, there is nothing to worry about and your magicband is all you need. It's rare but there are some special circumstances where a hard ticket is needed and it will be very clear you have to do something extra when you book. Again, no information means magicband is good to go and don't worry or be anxious.

The exception to this is early morning before park opens tours where you have to meet in the park. These cannot be linked, there is no ticket and it's a person with a sheet saying who to let into the park early at the entrance. If you do any tours like this, the disney site does have a spot you can add notes to your plans with times so you can remember it's there and add your confirmation number so you don't need to carry anything extra around.

are those zapped into our Magic Bands too

This is where the bands are confusing, nothing is zapped or linked to your band. Everything is in your disney account (MDE) including your bands. Any bands you have work interchangeably. The disney system just uses your band to know who you are so the computer can look up what tickets, dining, fastpasses, etc you have. Same with room charging, it uses the band to know who you are, you type in a pin code at time of purchase to confirm it's you and your done. It's really made a lot of the system streamlined and linked together instead of like the old days where you carried a dozen cards and had to use a different one for each thing.

Last edited:
If your not being told to pick it up or it is being mailed to you, there is nothing to worry about and your magicband is all you need. It's rare but there are some special circumstances where a hard ticket is needed and it will be very clear you have to do something extra when you book. Again, no information means magicband is good to go and don't worry or be anxious.

The exception to this is early morning before park opens tours where you have to meet in the park. These cannot be linked, there is no ticket and it's a person with a sheet saying who to let into the park early at the entrance. If you do any tours like this, the disney site does have a spot you can add notes to your plans with times so you can remember it's there and add your confirmation number so you don't need to carry anything extra around.

thank you!! You're so helpful!!

One last question - we bought tickets to the Behind The Seeds tour which does not show up in my MDE but I was given a confirmation # when I purchased them so I assume they're still there, right??

Where on My Disney Experience can you customize new magic bands? I made a reservation a couple of weeks ago, it shows on MDE, but I don't see a place to customize the bands. I have the bands from a previous trip under the magic bands and cards page but not any new ones. Thanks.

Does anyone else hate getting into the resort via car with their magic bands? Last year at Coronado I had to take my band off my wrist and wave it towards the sensor to get it close enough. A lot of the time I would even have to open my door to reach out far enough. They definitely didn't consider this when designing the drive up sensors...

One last question - we bought tickets to the Behind The Seeds tour which does not show up in my MDE but I was given a confirmation # when I purchased them so I assume they're still there, right??

Correct, this is an example of one of the tours that will not appear anywhere and you probably called up to book. To help with planning and to make sure I don't loose anything, there is an option to add in a note on the website and int he app. You can give it a date and time and type in anything you want as well as select who in your traveling group should get a copy of your note. I just put in the tour and where we are suppose to be and the confirmation number. It really helps with planning because you'll see it in your itinerary to know to skip making any meal or fastpass during it and a reminder about what day it is when planning what parks you want to do.

Where on My Disney Experience can you customize new magic bands? I made a reservation a couple of weeks ago, it shows on MDE, but I don't see a place to customize the bands. I have the bands from a previous trip under the magic bands and cards page but not any new ones. Thanks.

This is 1 place where it's easier to find and do from the website. If you go into that same section, you'll see that you have bands waiting to customize and just need to click it. Also you'll get an email with a link and there is a home screen that tells you were in your planning you are with a link to customize them directly from there. (that last one appears if you go onto the disneyworld website, login without clicking anything else and it'll bring you directly to it).

Customizing is just picking if you want the band (per person), what color and what name should be on it. I"m not sure if the awaken summer discount which comes with a special edition effects band is any different, perhaps there is someone reading this that can chime in?

Does anyone else hate getting into the resort via car with their magic bands? Last year at Coronado I had to take my band off my wrist and wave it towards the sensor to get it close enough. A lot of the time I would even have to open my door to reach out far enough. They definitely didn't consider this when designing the drive up sensors...

Early april when I needed to do this last, the security guard had a mobile scanner and it was much better.

The last ones shipping to me was about 7 weeks ago and they came perfect as always.. You should email guest.services@disneyworld.com and let them know.. They might have a second set just waiting for you at the resort but more importantly to let them knwo their quality control is horrible.
I did they sent me new ones and they were still "scuffed" :scared: .... Not as badly but still all over the shiny Mickey head there's noticeable marks.

I did they sent me new ones and they were still "scuffed" :scared: .... Not as badly but still all over the shiny Mickey head there's noticeable marks.

wow.. I'd still tell them, based on where they are, I wonder if the box changed and they are getting rubbed during shipping.

Yeah I don't know. I have a lot of Magicbands and I never remember this being an issue. The purple one has been the issue mostly.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48.3 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 33
Yeah I don't know. I have a lot of Magicbands and I never remember this being an issue. The purple one has been the issue mostly.

oh interesting.. thanks for the photos.. they did just change the bands, you'll probably notice them more comfortable and thinner especially if you hold them up next to an older one.. i've never seen or heard of that before.

Correct, this is an example of one of the tours that will not appear anywhere and you probably called up to book. To help with planning and to make sure I don't loose anything, there is an option to add in a note on the website and int he app. You can give it a date and time and type in anything you want as well as select who in your traveling group should get a copy of your note. I just put in the tour and where we are suppose to be and the confirmation number. It really helps with planning because you'll see it in your itinerary to know to skip making any meal or fastpass during it and a reminder about what day it is when planning what parks you want to do.

Fabulous! I had no idea I could add that information!!

thanks so much!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter