Everything you need to know about MagicBands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm also in the process of looking for places to clarify that all magicbands on the account work at the same time unless you deactivate or report any as lost.

Can you clarify what you mean by this (in bold)?

I do know that any and all active MagicBands will work just fine at the same time as long as they are linked to some type of ticket/pass. When the Star Wars bands came out for SWW 2015, and I was making the FP+ videos for them, I did four different bands in a row at a single touch point at The Great Movie Ride to record my videos.

Can you clarify what you mean by this (in bold)?

I do know that any and all active MagicBands will work just fine at the same time as long as they are linked to some type of ticket/pass. When the Star Wars bands came out for SWW 2015, and I was making the FP+ videos for them, I did four different bands in a row at a single touch point at The Great Movie Ride to record my videos.

Good question, I left that out of context so I'm not sure what I found not working that I'm trying to sort out.. It might have been how room charging works, it's not in the first 2 posts so i'm just going to say I was tired and no clue what I was saying :)

fyi: you don't link to a magicband, everything gets linked to a person including the magicband.

you don't link to a magicband, everything gets linked to a person including the magicband.

You're correct, my fault.

Technically, you can go to the front gate, buy 1-day ticket, buy a MagicBand and have it linked with the ticket on the spot, all without ever needing to have a My Disney Experience account or give anyone your information really. But Disney still see's you in the system as a "person" with those two items though.

Orlando sentinel (sorry no link) ran an article that even though shanghai was built with my magic+, they will not be distributing magic bands. The future of magicbands outside of wdw will be using mobile phone techology to do the same things.

It was unclear when that might happen or how wdw magicbands might change in the future. Mobile tech has finally caught up to something useful for these features.

Ill try to find a link to add asap.

Question about multiple people using Magic Bands. How quickly do things show up on an individual Folio? My mom and I are going totally cashless this trip except to pay at Checkout and using the Magic Bands to charge things to the room. Mom has a more limited amount of Money than I do, so she wants to keep a close eye to prevent her from using her card.

Question about multiple people using Magic Bands. How quickly do things show up on an individual Folio? My mom and I are going totally cashless this trip except to pay at Checkout and using the Magic Bands to charge things to the room. Mom has a more limited amount of Money than I do, so she wants to keep a close eye to prevent her from using her card.

My experience is right away but that's a little harder to tell as you have to go to front desk to see what's on the charges so there is the delay to get to the front desk and wait in line for someone to help you.. Also for the first time I ran into the system being down last week. Not a big deal, they have a paper backup but that caused delays for things to be added to the folio. It only added a minimal amount of extra time to make the purchase.

You can request at the front desk to have a hard limit on billed to room purchases, this might help your mom ensure she does not go over. They have tons of options, just let the front desk know what your trying to achieve and they have a way or suggestion to do it.

I had all seven colors that I obtained from March 2014 to March 2015. During that time I had an annual pass. After the pass expired and I knew I wouldn't be going back for awhile, I deactivated all of them for my own peace of mind. Now it's a year later, and I went into MDE to show something to a friend...and ALL of my MagicBands are completely GONE from my account. I have one card active, probably from January 2014. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Did they disappear because there's no longer any ticket info on my account and/or would they show up again if I added tickets?

New all time low for me...

My special edition magicband (grey haunted mansion) only sold in july/august 2015 had a dead battery by april 2016. Not 1 picture was picked up automatically last night.. normal scan your band things were fine.

Last edited:
I had all seven colors that I obtained from March 2014 to March 2015. During that time I had an annual pass. After the pass expired and I knew I wouldn't be going back for awhile, I deactivated all of them for my own peace of mind. Now it's a year later, and I went into MDE to show something to a friend...and ALL of my MagicBands are completely GONE from my account. I have one card active, probably from January 2014. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Did they disappear because there's no longer any ticket info on my account and/or would they show up again if I added tickets?

I haven't had tickets in couple years and all of my MBs show up. If this happened to me I would...wait a day or so, clear cookies and cache (though I do that every night anyway), and try again. If that didn't work, call Tech Support. Disney IT sometimes randomly discovers (*cough* CREATES *cough*) second accounts where the ONE account you created and have logged into all this time suddenly isn't the main account that has everything, and then you have to ask them to merge the accounts so everything shows up.

My special edition magicband (grey haunted mansion) only sold in july/august 2015 had a dead battery by april 2016. Not 1 picture was picked up automatically last night.. normal scan your band things were fine.

Well that's rotten.

Gah!!

Do you know how long the batteries usually last?

We have a set from one week's use in May 2015, hoping to use the same set this September.

(We stay offsite so purchased them separately for convenience)

Thanks!

Do you know how long the batteries usually last?

If you ask a cast member their official answer is about 2 years. My opinion at this point is the bands aren't a long term investment and be dilligent with watching the app to see if any photos are missing, especially the rides with no photopass view screen (7dmt).

If you ask a cast member their official answer is about 2 years. My opinion at this point is the bands aren't a long term investment and be dilligent with watching the app to see if any photos are missing, especially the rides with no photopass view screen (7dmt).
Thanks for the tip!

so question...hopefully not too complicated. My son went to Disney World last year with his mom and step dad. He has 3 magic bands that are linked to his account under his mom's MDE account. We are going to Disney World and my son has an account under my own MDE account from when we made the on site reservations. is there a way that he can use the magic bands that are associated on his Mom's MDE account when we go to Disney World for our trip? If his mom and I become "friends" through MDE will that allow him to use them? Thanks for any info that anyone has.

so question...hopefully not too complicated. My son went to Disney World last year with his mom and step dad. He has 3 magic bands that are linked to his account under his mom's MDE account. We are going to Disney World and my son has an account under my own MDE account from when we made the on site reservations. is there a way that he can use the magic bands that are associated on his Mom's MDE account when we go to Disney World for our trip? If his mom and I become "friends" through MDE will that allow him to use them? Thanks for any info that anyone has.

Since he is managed by him moms account I honestly am not sure. The bands are linked to the person.

What I do know is originally my daughter was under my mde account. While we were on vacation she couldn't use the app on her own since she was old enough to go around the parks without me. She quickly made an account on her own, her info came over and left my account and then we linked together as a person that travels frequently with us. I've been able to do all the purchasing, she has her own login, her bands and cards moved over no problem and it was really painless to do.. There is stuff I can't do like alter her magic bands and things that she has to take care of but everything else has been simple like she was in my account. When you book, you select who is traveling with you from your linked friends list + adding in others your going to add to your account so it's not a big deal.

Is your son the age that having his own mde account makes sense? This is a little above the magicband thread and you may want to post a separate thread to get more answers from people that also needed to do this. from a magicband perspective, it should work.

Since he is managed by him moms account I honestly am not sure. The bands are linked to the person.

What I do know is originally my daughter was under my mde account. While we were on vacation she couldn't use the app on her own since she was old enough to go around the parks without me. She quickly made an account on her own, her info came over and left my account and then we linked together as a person that travels frequently with us. I've been able to do all the purchasing, she has her own login, her bands and cards moved over no problem and it was really painless to do.. There is stuff I can't do like alter her magic bands and things that she has to take care of but everything else has been simple like she was in my account. When you book, you select who is traveling with you from your linked friends list + adding in others your going to add to your account so it's not a big deal.

Is your son the age that having his own mde account makes sense? This is a little above the magicband thread and you may want to post a separate thread to get more answers from people that also needed to do this. from a magicband perspective, it should work.

He just turned 12 so he can't have his own account. I'm just worried that if we use his information under his moms account then we won't have access to change stuff for him or pay bills that he charges to the magic band ect. His mom and I don't exactly get along either. I'll prob just end up calling Disney about it but thank you for the reply.

Another question I did not see yet. I called Disney and the woman I talked to was very nice but did not know the answer. She said she had to wait for the internet desk? which had a 15 min wait. I have old non-expiring tickets. They have 5 park days and 8 waterpark days left. i will only use a few days this trip. If I link the tickets to my MagicBands will they still be non-expiring? They might last longer than the bands.

Another question I did not see yet. I called Disney and the woman I talked to was very nice but did not know the answer. She said she had to wait for the internet desk? which had a 15 min wait. I have old non-expiring tickets. They have 5 park days and 8 waterpark days left. i will only use a few days this trip. If I link the tickets to my MagicBands will they still be non-expiring? They might last longer than the bands.

You don't link the tickets to your Magic Bands, you link them to your MDE account - the Magic Bands are just a means to access what's in your MDE account. Linking them to your MDE account won't change anything about the tickets, and the bands basically last indefinitely - the battery is only necessary for long-range things like ride photos (which is what Accident is referring to in post #111). For things like opening hotel doors, entering the parks and using FP+, the battery isn't necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter