Everybody OK after the storms in Ohio?

Smitch, glad you made it thru the whole storm. BTW, your pics are so cute!
DS just called from C-Bus and there is another storm coming in worse than Friday.
Told DH who is in Mexico working, I wish I had a picture. Me on my phone, 2 cats and a lab huddled in the downstairs powder room waiting for a tree to come crashing down on the house. One of our employees called to say he will be without power until July 7th.

Thank you for the kind words. :hug: Glad you are safe, too!:goodvibes I had my camera in my purse, but never thought to take a picture. I was too busy praying and looking for a place to hide.:laughing:

Everyone please stay safe!:goodvibes

My hubby took off for work in my car :( THis time it's me home alone. I am north of worst of it so I think I'll be ok.

My hubby took off for work in my car :( THis time it's me home alone. I am north of worst of it so I think I'll be ok.

I understand. DH has been gone for 3 months for work. Thank goodness for my sons. I was losing it on Friday. We just moved here and we have had 3 power failures in 18 months and DH has been gone for work the entire time. I sometimes think that all the benefits are not worth the lost time. I handle everything but sometimes I just panic. Like in a storm.
They say we will have electric by tomorrow. I'm still buying a generator!:goodvibes

I understand. DH has been gone for 3 months for work. Thank goodness for my sons. I was losing it on Friday. We just moved here and we have had 3 power failures in 18 months and DH has been gone for work the entire time. I sometimes think that all the benefits are not worth the lost time. I handle everything but sometimes I just panic. Like in a storm.
They say we will have electric by tomorrow. I'm still buying a generator!:goodvibes
I so agree on buying one. We have been very lucky in power dept. For me the worst was January or some cold month and working in Long term Care with no power for 3 days!!! Bar across st had power yet lil ole ladies were freezing B/c we only had minimal emergancy outlets. I let my aides wear sweats to work instead of scrubs.

Hope you have power today! :goodvibes We too are buying a generator - no more discussing it.

Hope you have power today! :goodvibes We too are buying a generator - no more discussing it.

Yep! We have a generator, but we've decided to install a full house generator (one that switches on automatically when the power goes out). After this storm, I'm even more convinced that it is worth having.

While not in Ohio, I'm up here in FT Wayne IN and we got hit hard Friday afternoon. That was one of the fastest moving storms that I can remember. At work, we looked at the radar around 2 as the forcast was calling for thunderstorms and you could see the front edge of the storm over by IL/IN line. By 3 we were getting the crap pounded outta of us.

We still don't have power. We have heard Wed to Friday for all of the power to be restored. It's kinda gonna make it hard to get laundry done so one kid can leave Sat morning for FL and the other can leave Sat evening for SC, if I don't get power before Fri. Can't go to mom and dads, as they don't have power, due to a downed line in their back yard. Only one on their block without power. Single homes are not at the top of the list, getting whole grids on are, which is understandable.

For those of you with generators, please be kind to your neighbors who don't. We are ready to kill our neighbor. So as to not have the noise bother them, he has placed his generator at the far end of his house, away from their open windows, but only 15 feet from our open bedroom windows. And he can't figure out that if he tops of the gas at 10 or 11 o'clock at night, he won't have to go out at 3 A.M. to refill the generator, like he has the last 2 nights. Both nights, 3 A.M. he's out there with a big honking flash light, making enough noise to wake everybody in our house up, get the dogs going. Ugh!!!!!!!!!! I don't begrude anyone having the use of a generator, but dude don't make our situation harder because you don't like the noise and can't figure out a good refilling schedule.

We have no cable, but we were actually driving through IN when the storms went through. I have never felt so scared! We were in the absolute middle of nowhere. Cornfields on both sides of the two lane highway, and we were the only car on the road. There were no buildings to go to, so DH just kept driving as fast as he could. I saw a large tree snap apart and land about 10 feet away. The kids were screaming and DS asked if it was a tornado. DH said, "No, we're okay...just watch your movie", and then DH turned to me and whispered, "you need to look for a tornado, and call my parents and let them know where we are in case we don't make it.":eek: It was superscary. We are in St.Louis right now, but some friends went to the house this morning to make sure nothing was damaged. I know the cable is out because our house phone is just ringing as busy. Definitely thanking God that we made it through in one piece, and praying for everyone affected by the storms.
Oh my! How terrifying for you :eek:! I'm so glad you're safe :hug:.

These storms have been incredible. We lost power last night, but only for a short while. Our neighbors up the road were not so lucky. Their trampoline is somewhat twisted and hanging from the electric lines right in front of their house. It truly is a sight to see....a full size trampoline just hanging there.

I live in the Columbus area and we haven't had power since Friday afternoon. They have us projected as getting power next Sunday at midnight :confused3

We had a lot of roads blocked by trees, but in my neighborhood it seems like a lot of houses got lucky and the trees fell the right way. There were a couple cars that were completely flattened by a giant falling tree.

Thank goodness for work, I think I am going to work an 11 hour day just because I don't want to go home.

Oh my! How terrifying for you :eek:! I'm so glad you're safe :hug:.

Thank you, Robin! :hug:

These storms have been incredible. We lost power last night, but only for a short while. Our neighbors up the road were not so lucky. Their trampoline is somewhat twisted and hanging from the electric lines right in front of their house. It truly is a sight to see....a full size trampoline just hanging there.

The neighbor that checked on my house said that their next door neighbor's trampoline was destroyed, too. A lot of people in our subdivision have them, so I can only imagine how many will be gone by the time we get home on Sunday. Our next door neighbor bought one a couple months ago, but right before school ended their only child broke their arm so they took the trampoline down. Bet they're glad they did now. :laughing:

In a campground in Delaware OH (Just north of Columbus)... Was afraid of the 60 mph straight line winds we heard about, but the RV just rocked some (it's a 36 ft rv). A big campground with lots of trailers together, so maybe they helped protect each other.

I'm so glad everyone checking in with experiences is safe!

One of my city's pools is closed (Dublin) making the other one absolutely crazy nuts. So many people still don't have electricity and families need to stay cool.

DD's basketball game was cancelled tonight, the HS she plays in still doesn't have power, and neither does my DS' HS.

What a headache for so many! My heart is going out to those with no power for so long in this heat!

I live in the Columbus area and we haven't had power since Friday afternoon. They have us projected as getting power next Sunday at midnight :confused3

We had a lot of roads blocked by trees, but in my neighborhood it seems like a lot of houses got lucky and the trees fell the right way. There were a couple cars that were completely flattened by a giant falling tree.

Thank goodness for work, I think I am going to work an 11 hour day just because I don't want to go home.

I heard Newark and NE Columbus is out until July 7th! Crazy! The storm moved so fast.
I came home today. We have power but some of our neighbors are looking at another 5 days.

While not in Ohio, I'm up here in FT Wayne IN and we got hit hard Friday afternoon. That was one of the fastest moving storms that I can remember. At work, we looked at the radar around 2 as the forcast was calling for thunderstorms and you could see the front edge of the storm over by IL/IN line. By 3 we were getting the crap pounded outta of us.

We still don't have power. We have heard Wed to Friday for all of the power to be restored. It's kinda gonna make it hard to get laundry done so one kid can leave Sat morning for FL and the other can leave Sat evening for SC, if I don't get power before Fri. Can't go to mom and dads, as they don't have power, due to a downed line in their back yard. Only one on their block without power. Single homes are not at the top of the list, getting whole grids on are, which is understandable.

For those of you with generators, please be kind to your neighbors who don't. We are ready to kill our neighbor. So as to not have the noise bother them, he has placed his generator at the far end of his house, away from their open windows, but only 15 feet from our open bedroom windows. And he can't figure out that if he tops of the gas at 10 or 11 o'clock at night, he won't have to go out at 3 A.M. to refill the generator, like he has the last 2 nights. Both nights, 3 A.M. he's out there with a big honking flash light, making enough noise to wake everybody in our house up, get the dogs going. Ugh!!!!!!!!!! I don't begrude anyone having the use of a generator, but dude don't make our situation harder because you don't like the noise and can't figure out a good refilling schedule.

Fort Wayne (Van Wert) is where it started to get bad. DSis was on her way to Coldwater and she said her FIL just kept driving through the whole thing, She was terrified. Then get up to Coldwater and no power.
They make generators that run on gas? They have to be noisy. Our old one ran on propane and the new one I am buying will run on propane. They are really quiet. I can deal with no electric somewhat but no water? Dear Dad said wait, this will not happen again for 10 years. I could just imagine hime without power or water for 3 days.:rotfl2:

I was very very lucky and had minimal damage. Several big tree branches down, and several still stuck in the trees, going to lose one of my trees because of it. Waiting on AEP to remove a branch caught in the front power line out of my tree-it willb e after all power is back on which is understandable. We were without power from the time the storm hit here in NW Ohio (Delphos, 60 miles east of Ft. Wayne. Neighbor lost siding and shingles galore, lots and lots of big trees down, downtown still has no power. My DD BF doesn't either, they are more on NW side. South side of town never lost their power. Ours went out again for about 4 hours on Saturday morning, afternoon. our pool was closed on Saturday but opened back up on Sunday. Columbus grove NE of here really took a hit, I never saw so many trees down, and roofs destroyed , and buildings destroyed. today saw several power trucks from Battle Creek MI and Joplin Missouri.d

Checking in from Athens. We got hit very hard. It came suddenly, we were just bringing in the cushions due to a thunderstorm and all of the sudden you had to hold on to get back inside the house. It went from 0 to 70-90 mph winds instantly. We huddled in the basement while things flew past the windows. 10 min later it was gone as fast as it had come.

But the aftermath is not good. We're at 74 hours with no electricity. We had no cell signal until last night. No phones and no Internet. And that was at my office as well today.

Downtown Athens now mostly has power. And they are working really, really hard. But it will be next weekend more than likely. FEMA has been called and sent water (we're on a boil order) as many are without water as well due to wells. And it's 100 degrees every day, so it's very hard on the elderly and sick.

And we spent the weekend chainsawing trees.

My understanding is 5 million without power total, 14 dead. That's across the entire region, not just Ohio. Washington dc & WV also got hit badly.

They are projecting we wil be out 7-10 days. good thing my family enjoys camping. We had fun this weekend and didn't miss our luxuries at all. But my job was super hard today and tomorrow I get to do it all again. :eek:

So glad everyone here made it thru the mess!:hug: Hopefully Ohio and the rest of the Midwest gets power soon. I went to work and had to circumvent so many roads because of AEP trucks clearing damage.
I'll spend tomorrow cleaning out the fridges and freezers. So much for a 4th of July vacation day Still need to deal with the water system (pure rust coming out), the alarm system and all our office phones. Internet is stop and go but I have electric. I am really feeling for those who may not get power until Sunday.

We were stuck on Put in Bay during the storms. There were two that rolled thru over about an hours time. We got back to the mainland ok but several cars in the Miller ferry parking lot had trees fall on them. We saw tons of downed trees, a few boats tipped over in a storage lot and one house that was leaning. Not sure if it was a tornado but it was pretty dang close! It rained like heck on the island!

We were stuck on Put in Bay during the storms. There were two that rolled thru over about an hours time. We got back to the mainland ok but several cars in the Miller ferry parking lot had trees fall on them. We saw tons of downed trees, a few boats tipped over in a storage lot and one house that was leaning. Not sure if it was a tornado but it was pretty dang close! It rained like heck on the island!

:eek: You were on a boat! That would be so scary! There were a few tornadoes in northern Ohio, but what hit in general was called a land hurricane. 70-90 mph winds for 10-15 minutes with small ground tornadoes. They are very rare.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter